Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best PVP? GW2 or something else?

Comments

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Planetside is far FAR more social than just about any AAA MMO released in the last 7 years, except for maybe Vanguard, and possibly GW2.

Or do you think you'll get anything done playing solo? (hint, you won't). The game takes a ton of teamwork, coordination, and communication. Unlike GW2 where you can just walk through encounters and other players are so silent they feel like bots.

Its zerg-warfare. Just like GW2's WvWvW - or any RvR I've encountered. It doesn't require communication or coordination to zerg, hell it hardly requires any thought to zerg. You just jump in and start shooting, follow the mass.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Planetside is far FAR more social than just about any AAA MMO released in the last 7 years, except for maybe Vanguard, and possibly GW2.

Or do you think you'll get anything done playing solo? (hint, you won't). The game takes a ton of teamwork, coordination, and communication. Unlike GW2 where you can just walk through encounters and other players are so silent they feel like bots.

Its zerg-warfare. Just like GW2's WvWvW - or any RvR I've encountered. It doesn't require communication or coordination to zerg, hell it hardly requires any thought to zerg. You just jump in and start shooting, follow the mass.

Haha, you've clearly never been in any type of RvR scenario then. You've said yourself on other boards that you never played DAoC, so how do you have any clue what RvR is like?

In Planetside, as a long soldier in a zerg you are next to worthless. Without support from medics, engineers, snipers, scouts, tanks, and air transports, you won't get anything done. You cannot zerg a base, the capture points won't change hands.

Haha, you've clearly never been in any type of RvR scenario then. You've said yourself on other boards that you never played DAoC, so how do you have any clue what RvR is like?

In Planetside, as a long soldier in a zerg you are next to worthless. Without support from medics, engineers, snipers, scouts, tanks, and air transports, you won't get anything done. You cannot zerg a base, the capture points won't change hands.

Uhm... DaoC is not the only game to have RvR. And while RvR is probably trademarked by Mythic, there are many games and gamemodes which are very similar to what they have/had.

Zerg has all those things. It doesn't need communication or coordination. Just players who notice: "hmm, I'll spawn as a tank next" or "oh, I didn't get any health, maybe I'll play a medic then". It doesn't require coordination to build catapults in GW2 either. People just dump their supplies to whatever anyone is building.

Uhm... DaoC is not the only game to have RvR. There was also WAR, but it wasn't as well implemented as it was in DAoC. Other than that, no, not really any other game, except maybe Planetside.  And while RvR is probably trademarked by Mythic, there are many games and gamemodes which are very similar to what they have/had.

Zerg has all those things. It doesn't need communication or coordination. You're right. A medic is so usefull when he doesn't know who and where to heal. An empty transport flying the wrong direction is so useful to everyone! Everyone running to different capture points and wondering why they aren't being captured sure is useful! Just players who notice: "hmm, I'll spawn as a tank next" and then proceed to get destroyed by anti tanks or "oh, I didn't get any health, maybe I'll play a medic then". Medics cannot heal themselves..

Come back when you have some actual PvP experience. I've never seen anyone make progress in Planetside 2 without having full squads using voice chat, with leaders and squad commanders.

Uhm... DaoC is not the only game to have RvR. There was also WAR, but it wasn't as well implemented as it was in DAoC. Other than that, no, not really any other game, except maybe Planetside.  And while RvR is probably trademarked by Mythic, there are many games and gamemodes which are very similar to what they have/had.

Zerg has all those things. It doesn't need communication or coordination. You're right. A medic is so usefull when he doesn't know who and where to heal. An empty transport flying the wrong direction is so useful to everyone! Everyone running to different capture points and wondering why they aren't being captured sure is useful! Just players who notice: "hmm, I'll spawn as a tank next" and then proceed to get destroyed by anti tanks or "oh, I didn't get any health, maybe I'll play a medic then". Medics cannot heal themselves..

Come back when you have some actual PvP experience. I've never seen anyone make progress in Planetside 2 without having full squads using voice chat, with leaders and squad commanders.

I would but your heavy use of strawmen makes rational argument impossible. Good day to you, sir.

I give you 2/10.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Again quir, your approaching from the perspective of a pveer doing pvp as a side attraction for fun.

Sure in gw2, the mixed players just follow the zerg, but the dedicated pvp guilds use all sorts of tactics and strategy.

More so in planetside as its a pvp only game
    More so in daoc as the rvr was THE endgame and at the time other than uo and ac: darktide it was the place for pvp guilds to go.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Again quir, your approaching from the perspective of a pveer doing pvp as a side attraction for fun.

Sure in gw2, the mixed players just follow the zerg, but the dedicated pvp guilds use all sorts of tactics and strategy.

More so in planetside as its a pvp only game
    More so in daoc as the rvr was THE endgame and at the time other than uo and ac: darktide it was the place for pvp guilds to go.

Me a PvEer?! image

If you only knew...

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

To be honest that is what is seems like Quir.

They had some pretty valid points, the only time zerging has worked in Planetside has been when one population has had a vast majority or imbalanced equipment.

For example, that's why the NC are being called out about their jackhammers at least.

In general there actually is at least a bit of strategy driving even the most freeform groups. People in transports will usually call out where they are planning to fly to and nearby players will group up accordingly.

In GW2 one of the only two times I've tried WvWvW I was clustered with one of three groups as we had segmented off in order to cover a series of bases on defense.

DAoC it was very much the same case. Tended to play as a smaller group that followed the train, but we would splinter off to seak into siege locations and mess up the defenders on the wall before the main party would push through.

There is also much ado about the numbers game and faction count. Yes, in three way or more combat as I mentioned above you can have moments where one side is just vastly superior. However, with the introduction of more factions, even by one, it does affect overall balance generally for the better because you are creating two very different warfronts most of the time that the factions have to handle independently.

All in all the point is that yes, there is a base concept of zergfests, but that is going to happen in any form of PvP. even FFA PvP you see people that will form groups just to roll over others.

There isn't a cure for that, it's just a part of PvP. Best you can do is introduce elements that attmpts to mitigate the issue, and that's essentially what such titles have done, with varying implementations and degrees of success.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

I remember in DAoC, when Albion had the numbers advantage the other two realms attacked at the same time in an attempt to get their relics.

I also remember that while Midgard was the least populated realm, it won most of the encounters, because a lot of tight knit PvP guilds joined that side.

Tactics always beat Zergs in well made PvP games.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I loved Midgard. ^_^

Dem Hibbies tink dey beat us?

Dem Hibbies, dey be wrong.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

Its funny to me comparing DF to a standard mmo pvp is like comparing patty cake to fight club.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Yamota:

Planetside 1 & 2 have fully PERSISTENT open worlds

They have no INSTANCING whatsoever.

And also it doesn't feature matches or timed anything.

It is a mmo
    Just because it doesn't have dungeons and raids and stuff doesn't make it not a mmo.

I said persistency AND virtual world. Meaning that you need to have some sort of a world design and not a huge battleground which essentially is what PS 2 is. There is no PvE mobs or any sort of world to speak of, its just a bunch of control points which you fight over, e.g. a huge battleground. And I would not call than an MMORPG, MMOFPS maybe.

• DakekarrDakekarr Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by Dakekarr
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Awesome point, and this actually makes me re-think my adversion to the full loot. I hadn't taken into account the fact that the gear isnt as rare and you can make new gear, and its more stats based. Is darkfall even worth touching or should I just wait for the new one which is apparently next month?

I guess I just have memories of getting robbed in UO WAY back in the day when EQ was new and fresh. But then again, I probably didnt realize it wasnt that big of deal even then, lol.

Nah you can't pick it up now and it wouldn't be worth getting into given it is going to wipe for the new version next month. Really are just better off waiting for Unholy wars and/or Planetside 2 in all honesty.

I must say though kudos to you OP, you came specifying no loot initially but seem open minded about it after some consideration. Most come on here with a closed off mind with regards to certain mechanics and just bat away/ignore people offering their suggestions. Breath of fresh air, hope you find the game you like whatever it is.

Thanks man for the compliments, I truly do value your guys opininons as long as we keep it respectful and intelligent.  I tried Planetside 2 last night, GREAT fun, but agree with an earlier post...it's not an mmoRPG, just an MMO, no sub though will probably buy it to jump in some huge FPS battles.....

Finally gonna give in and buy GW2 tonight since I actually have a real life buddy to run through with and he was just waiting for someone to hit the cap with.

Playing: TESO
    Played (Trials mostly): WoW, UO, EQ 1 & 2, DAOC, Final Fantasy XI, EVE, COV, Aion, Rift, Star Trek Online, GW 2, TSW, Final Fantasy ARR, Tera
    Waiting on:EQ Next

Originally posted by Apraxis

Dark Age of Camelot, the game which GW2 based their RvR on, is still miles ahead of GW2.

DAoC benefits from having years to mature their RvR system.

They also have substantial rewards for winning in RvR, which GW2 doesn't have. They have relics, realm ranks, naval warfare. They don't have a cap on their frontier zone, so any number of people can go in and play.

They also have Darkness Falls, and until GW2 gets a Darkness Falls, it will forever be in DAoC's shadow.

And, Darkfall also beats out GW2, because of its massive sieges and real time combat.

Yeap. But DAoC is very dated and almost dead.. not really worth to try again. So what then?

Well.. as already said in that thread or the quoted post.. you got GW2, which isnt as good for different reasons as DAoC was back then.. but good enough for a little bit. Or you wait for Darkness Falls Unholy Wars, which is "mature" pvp, but the game could still lack on a lot of other departments. Well.. maybe not, but i somehow doubt it, that they really fix all flaws from the original DF with this new incarnation...

What else? Maybe Eve or Perpetuum.. but in EvE you have a long learning curve, and you are far behind everyone else, and you should spend most probably half a year just skilling up a bit(without doing anything.. it is skill per time), and not so sure about Perpetuum... and with EvE you have to go deeply into a coorp and it is more about the meta game as the actual pvp fight.

So if you ask me.. there is no really great pvp game out there at the moment..

But on the other side, if you enjoyed WoW pvp any of the above may be superior for you. Because WoW pvp sucked, and there wasnt a lot of pvp, not even at the vanilla days.. and now even less. And here a little differentiation.

Did you like the Tarrens Mill zerg fight? Then GW2 WvW will be the right choice for you.. there you got Tarrens Mill fights.. a lot, every day, 24/7. If you enjoyed alterac valley GW2 WvW will be the right choice too, and superior in comparsion.

If you liked more the thrill about attacking being attacked during normal sessions... if you like the unexpected surprise of a fight, and the maybe sometimes even more surprising outcome. You should wait for DF.. there you will get that, and a lot more with the territorial controll and clan wars. It can be epic.. but you shouldnt mind grinding. And you shouldnt mind the dependence from a clan/lot of players.. because as lone wolf or as a little pack you will have a very hard time.

I play at the moment GW2 and i will most probably give DF:UW another try.. but both more of lack of good alternatives.

PS/Edit: And well.. there is Planetside 2. But i dont know anything about it.. never played the original game, nor did i read a lot about it. So how is it? Can someone give a good overview? In comparsion to other pvp mmos and/or games like Battlefield? I guess it is most probably worth a try if someone like me, who enjoyed MMO PvP and the BF series?

I tried it last night off a buddy key. VERY fun. Not an mmoRPG though. Good if you wanna jump in a huge FPS halo-esque battle.

Played (Trials mostly): WoW, UO, EQ 1 & 2, DAOC, Final Fantasy XI, EVE, COV, Aion, Rift, Star Trek Online, GW 2, TSW, Final Fantasy ARR, Tera

Originally posted by Apraxis

About Planetside 2?

When will it release? Will it have an EU release? (EU Server, i really dont want to play with high US ping) Can anyone share a beta key? (PM me) ... i guess i should just read the FAQ o.O

Go to the Planetside 2 Forums on this site, whole stick with buddy keys. There are EU servers as well. Fun game, not exactly an RPG though.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Not on your list, but my preference is Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer Online.  I find them, even to this day to be my favorite form and style of PvP.  On top of that, it was great that your characters didn't die five seconds into battle.  All I ever did in GW2's Mist World was to constantly run back from my spawn point every few seconds after the long ass run to get to the battle.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Hey guys, I'm always on here, but never post, usually just view.

My question to you all is, what would be the closest game currently out that could replicate the old wow days, ala 2006 when you could openly gank or get ganked in areas like the barrens?

Basically I want open world PVP, but not full loot and corpse robbing. Is there anything close to this? Im really interested in GW2 but it's not open world PVP right?

I love TSW but the PVP is a joke, I need open world pvp, just minus the robbing corpse part. It was great in WOW on the PVP servers 6 years ago, but according to my colleagues WOW is definitely not like this anymore, even on PVP dedicated servers?

Darkfall seems close except the graphics look terrible and I havent heard enough promising things from literally anyone to even warrant the $10, not to mention it's full grave robbing.

Again, I really like TSW and the amount of care put into that game, the quality of graphics is exactly what I want, I just want open world PVP along with excellent PVE.

Any ideas from anyone are always truly appreciated, please no trolls, just need intelligent thought.

put Asherons Call on that list and you have the best pvp MMO.

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

My question to you all is, what would be the closest game currently out that could replicate the old wow days, ala 2006 when you could openly gank or get ganked in areas like the barrens?

Basically I want open world PVP, but not full loot and corpse robbing. Is there anything close to this? Im really interested in GW2 but it's not open world PVP right?

I love TSW but the PVP is a joke, I need open world pvp, just minus the robbing corpse part. It was great in WOW on the PVP servers 6 years ago, but according to my colleagues WOW is definitely not like this anymore, even on PVP dedicated servers?

Darkfall seems close except the graphics look terrible and I havent heard enough promising things from literally anyone to even warrant the $10, not to mention it's full grave robbing.

Again, I really like TSW and the amount of care put into that game, the quality of graphics is exactly what I want, I just want open world PVP along with excellent PVE.

Any ideas from anyone are always truly appreciated, please no trolls, just need intelligent thought.

put Asherons Call on that list and you have the best pvp MMO.

I would totally update that poll if I could, this site does not seem to like any editing of a poll once it's been inserted.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I remember in DAoC, when Albion had the numbers advantage the other two realms attacked at the same time in an attempt to get their relics.

I also remember that while Midgard was the least populated realm, it won most of the encounters, because a lot of tight knit PvP guilds joined that side.

Tactics always beat Zergs in well made PvP games.

I played Mid/Guin. Tactics always beats Zergs is right. We'd roll in a group and take out huge zergs back in the day, was good times.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yamota:

It's not a huge battleground.

Imagine wow
    Take out all the instances
    Take out all the pve mobs
    Put big ass forts around all the villages and cities that let you control them
    Make it fps instead of tab target
    Add a third side
    Let people drive tanks and planes

That's planetside.

It's not a slightly bigger alteract valley on a longer timer.

Ok...

Went and Bought GW2......

Couldn't be happier. The Dynamic events alone just feel like a huge breath of fresh air, and all the voice dialogue? Beautiful. Love it. I know this thread started as a PVP thread, but I never mentioned im huge into lore and care put into the content, tons of that seen in GW2 AND theres still the pvp to look forward to at the end game. Which we all know could change completely a month from now. 

AND no Sub? I'm satisfied. 

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

You may want to keep an eye on Age of Wushu (Age of Wulin in EU).  This is coming out next year that has a big open PvP element.  This might be somethign to watch, unless you don't like Kung Fu.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Roxtarr

You may want to keep an eye on Age of Wushu (Age of Wulin in EU).  This is coming out next year that has a big open PvP element.  This might be somethign to watch, unless you don't like Kung Fu.  

I'll keep an eye out for it....loving GW2 though, and TSW when I dont want fantasy or care about any pvp.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    Where is the other option because SWG was the best IMO.

If you mean SWG Pre-CU, then I agree. I usually do not care for PvP, but in SWG PvP  was consensual (for the most part) via flagging/declaring. It was open world PvP where battles acutally meant something, especially when player city bases (which could represent a significant investment) were vulnerable to total destruction.  Huge numbers of players would rise to a call of battle no matter what type of combat template they had to defend an ally or beat-down the enemy. This system encouraged PvP even among players not so inclined to participate in PvP game play, like myself.

Yes, there were flaws. The concept was fantastic, unfortunately, $OE was at the helm so there was little in the way of solid solutions to problems/issues as they arose - - just juryrigged fixes that usually inflamed the playerbase.

I have no interest in forced FFA PvP, but I can understand there are many that do. I just would not enjoy being gank-fodder and having my corpse picked over. image

• cjtigncjtign Member UncommonPosts: 61

The Secret World by Funcom hands down ever since the last 1.4 and 1.5 patches. Its got it all Pvp system that matters, can gear and level up entirely through pvp, 3 open world areas for pvp, 3 separate persistant pvp zines called fusang battlegroup A-C which is a lot like RvR in DAoC or colony zone in Knight online.

Has a bunch of minigames, capture the flag, King of the hill....

Cabal wars/ladder every month, monthly duel tournaments with prizes

Upcoming patches 1.7-1.8 will include PvP Dungeons and a new owPVP Event.

Also has a lot of fun pvp missions