Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back to Square One - The Unsung Hero of the Next Big MMORPG.

Hi folks

Now that this game has opened it's doors to the public and is currently at a pre-alpha stage, I would like to take this opportunity to get it out to people in case you have not come across it yet.

The game has a history, mostly unknown, because of technical and visionary barriers to overcome but it has come to a positive stage in development and it won't be long before it will be put into the spotlight.

Under scrutiny, in summary, will this next big MMORPG challenge the way that we think of our "Wind of the Mill" MMORPGs that we have currently and I encourage as many of you to have a look and keep an eye on this title:

Citadel of Sorcery : http://citadelofsorcery.com/

Additional links : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjDiNj_lCrI

If you have any questions, please add them here and let the devs take the time to answer them so that we can get some healthy discussion going.

Regards.

Comments

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    I'm skeptical, to say the least. Keeping my eyes open, though.

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519
    Sounds interesting, but it is of course nothing I haven't heard before.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

This is heavily story based MMO (except with bit more dynamic quests). Set in too big world.

Kind of like SWTOR + Vanguard. Just with much less budget and quality.

Too ambitious and with wrong direction.

Sorry, but i had to be honest.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    [ ... ]

Sorry, but i had to be honest.

Honest facts or honest opinion? Please discern more clearly. °O

• DrokaFonDrokaFon Member Posts: 19

watched a few videos and it seemed pretty cool.............

Then i watched the video explaining the PvP. And the arena system is innovative and very different. The only MAJOR turnoff for me in this game is that i consider my self a hardcore PvPer, Back in SWG pre-cu when i wasent fighting on my main i was running around on my bounty hunter, Back in wow i needed to get gladiator rank every season i played, and then i moved onto Darkfall.  Darkfall opened my eye's to true skill based PvP and yes it had many bugs exploits and flaws but, to me, it was overall the best pvp game i'v ever played and i am eagerly awaiting Dark fall unholy wars....Back ot hte turn off, during hte interview the girl "Raven" said that, and i quote " All Player vs Player battles will take place in hte collisium."  This is a huge turnoff to me because I enjoy open world pvp and having to be on my toes,......This game almost sounds like a guild wars 2 clone....."Epic" story line with alot of PvE and only PvE and then when u feel like PvP you sign up and go.....I dislike guildwars for many reasons but the main reason is because the character you level up and travel through the world with means nothing in PvP......You don't even need to play to "game" to be able to pvp, you merly need to make a new class, hit level 2 in 2 seconds, get out of hte instance story area and click on the PvP button............and noob as it may sound ( i didn't lay GW1)  i had NO idea you could do this, i spent 2 weeks leveling up my character, casually, hit level 42 and my friend is like, umm why are you leveling i thought you bought this game to pvp, then he told me about the Structered pvp and how it works and i tried it, hated it, and logged off, and havent logged back in since then....it almost felt like Counter strike, you know that game you log onto jsut to get some headshots then you log off and don't play it for a few weeks.

Sooo to me, Cool concept, very innovative in some areas but not my cup of tea. I'll pass.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

Just as the action combat in Tera is not enough to make a good game a different version of quests and extra story thrown in will not will not be enough for this game IMO.

Also a large part of my mmo enjoyment is based on visuals, this game looks even worse than games that came out five years ago.

Originally posted by DrokaFon

Then i watched the video explaining the PvP. And the arena system is innovative and very different. The only MAJOR turnoff for me in this game is that i consider my self a hardcore PvPer, Back in SWG pre-cu when i wasent fighting on my main i was running around on my bounty hunter, Back in wow i needed to get gladiator rank every season i played, and then i moved onto Darkfall.  Darkfall opened my eye's to true skill based PvP and yes it had many bugs exploits and flaws but, to me, it was overall the best pvp game i'v ever played and i am eagerly awaiting Dark fall unholy wars....Back ot hte turn off, during hte interview the girl "Raven" said that, and i quote " All Player vs Player battles will take place in hte collisium."  This is a huge turnoff to me because I enjoy open world pvp and having to be on my toes,......This game almost sounds like a guild wars 2 clone....."Epic" story line with alot of PvE and only PvE and then when u feel like PvP you sign up and go.....I dislike guildwars for many reasons but the main reason is because the character you level up and travel through the world with means nothing in PvP......You don't even need to play to "game" to be able to pvp, you merly need to make a new class, hit level 2 in 2 seconds, get out of hte instance story area and click on the PvP button............and noob as it may sound ( i didn't lay GW1)  i had NO idea you could do this, i spent 2 weeks leveling up my character, casually, hit level 42 and my friend is like, umm why are you leveling i thought you bought this game to pvp, then he told me about the Structered pvp and how it works and i tried it, hated it, and logged off, and havent logged back in since then....it almost felt like Counter strike, you know that game you log onto jsut to get some headshots then you log off and don't play it for a few weeks.

Sooo to me, Cool concept, very innovative in some areas but not my cup of tea. I'll pass.

So help me understand here, instead of compairing open pvp to WvW in GW2 you compair it to SPvP? You do know they are 2 different things right?

• BookkeeperBookkeeper Member Posts: 60

Before you complain about Pre-Alpha graphics, and the size of the world, you should read this page I found on their web site, it addresses these concerns.

http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/about/asked-and-answered

As for it being like Vanguard or any other MMO I've played, that simply isn't true.  This is a fresh look at game play, and it doesn't follow any other MMO out there.  I'm not sure why everyone feels a need to say "It's like such and such", I guess people just can't accept that something can be new.

I'll make my case.

Every player goes through a different personal story, and doesn't do all the same things as every other player.

Every quest is personalized to each player's story.

There are NO task type quests: Fetch me 20 bananas.  Instead, each quests is like a full RPG game.

Time moves forward, the world changes every day, and player actions can affect the future of the world.

There is much more... but already I can not find another MMORPG game that offers all this, and in no way can this be considered another clone.  

They already have my donation.  I think we should be supporting ANY game developer that is at least trying to break the mold of MMOs, I just won't play another WoW clone. but Citadel of Sorcery sounds great!  

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

My prediction: another soon to be failed indie poorly coded crap MMORPG. Just looking at the website makes it pretty obvious.

But hey, it's kickstarter... no surprise here.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• DrokaFonDrokaFon Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Cromica

Just as the action combat in Tera is not enough to make a good game a different version of quests and extra story thrown in will not will not be enough for this game IMO.

Also a large part of my mmo enjoyment is based on visuals, this game looks even worse than games that came out five years ago.

Originally posted by DrokaFon

Then i watched the video explaining the PvP. And the arena system is innovative and very different. The only MAJOR turnoff for me in this game is that i consider my self a hardcore PvPer, Back in SWG pre-cu when i wasent fighting on my main i was running around on my bounty hunter, Back in wow i needed to get gladiator rank every season i played, and then i moved onto Darkfall.  Darkfall opened my eye's to true skill based PvP and yes it had many bugs exploits and flaws but, to me, it was overall the best pvp game i'v ever played and i am eagerly awaiting Dark fall unholy wars....Back ot hte turn off, during hte interview the girl "Raven" said that, and i quote " All Player vs Player battles will take place in hte collisium."  This is a huge turnoff to me because I enjoy open world pvp and having to be on my toes,......This game almost sounds like a guild wars 2 clone....."Epic" story line with alot of PvE and only PvE and then when u feel like PvP you sign up and go.....I dislike guildwars for many reasons but the main reason is because the character you level up and travel through the world with means nothing in PvP......You don't even need to play to "game" to be able to pvp, you merly need to make a new class, hit level 2 in 2 seconds, get out of hte instance story area and click on the PvP button............and noob as it may sound ( i didn't lay GW1)  i had NO idea you could do this, i spent 2 weeks leveling up my character, casually, hit level 42 and my friend is like, umm why are you leveling i thought you bought this game to pvp, then he told me about the Structered pvp and how it works and i tried it, hated it, and logged off, and havent logged back in since then....it almost felt like Counter strike, you know that game you log onto jsut to get some headshots then you log off and don't play it for a few weeks.

So help me understand here, instead of compairing open pvp to WvW in GW2 you compair it to SPvP? You do know they are 2 different things right?

Umm, You que to joib World vs World. and world vs World is instancedm so therefore it is not OPEN world pvp. ...Didn't think i had to explain that....Also did you miss this part of my post? 

Back ot the turn off, during hte interview the girl "Raven" said that, and i quote " All Player vs Player battles will take place in hte collisium."

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    If this game has Battleground-ish PvP, I will not support it.