Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for DPS 9k AR need only apply!

Ok, so the title is a tad outrageous...

My serious question is, provided you're not PVPing 24/7 for tokens, what is the highest achievable stat (we'll go with AR, attack rating, in this case) that you can achieve through drops from just normal dungeons?  From elite dungeons?

Reason why I'm curious is beacuse I've seen some pretty interesting requests in "LFG" chat.  I understand people wanting to have an easy or quick run through a dungeon, but I've seen people turned down because "OMG, only 2.5k AR?  Not high enough for elite."

I myself have been turned down for NMs because I didn't have 4k AR.  Like I said, I can understand wanting a quick and easy run for bullion at the least, but it seems to be a growing trend. 

*edited for some spelling.

Comments

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

Well at least we know where some of the WoW players migrated to....

I seem to remember it being a "trend" there also....

• DuranuDuranu Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by neonaka

Yes, the infamous "gear score."

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779
    Originally posted by Duranu

Yes, the infamous "gear score."

I believe these players try to fill in the lack of thier own skill with the exceptional skill of others. It basically boils down to pure laziness. They do not want to put forth any effort for drops so they request ridiculous requirements in order to ensure they do not fail or have to put forth any effort.

It is sad that good players do not even get a chance to prove thier skill due to the laziness of others.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

It happens in every MMO, even in EVE you'll get fleets that won't take you even if flying a great ship if they feel you've fitted it slightly wrong. (ie. too much tank, not enough DPS, at least in their opinion)

I do my best to avoid such folks, and hopefully like minded players are able to find each other in every game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    that's the most annoying thing about TSW...all the requests for certain DPs and all that....it's kinda ridiculous, but I know that they've probably ran those dungeons a million times and dont want to be slowed...that's cool.  There are probably groups that are out there that just started running NM's and could use you.

• JWTunaJWTuna Member Posts: 23

Well yeh its open to abuse and can feul assholiness, but when a game is heavily gear dependent, you do need a system like this (*stop throwing rotten fruit at me!*).

Maturing games will have multi-tier content which is, in principle linked to multi-tier gear. Even a relatively new game with limited endgame content can create situations where there is a signifcant difference between a fresh-max level and someone who has covered initial dungeons/raids/pvp, particularly if the player in question didnt stop at any dungeons to get some shiny mid-high level epics on the way. At endgame, good/poor gear can be the difference between a boss 1shotting or 2shotting you, which is major ~ healer/tank 1 shot = wipe.  

Yes, demanding a certain gear score, ilvl, dps, whatever is often 50% necessity 50% vanity ~ but a system of summerising gear, or better; an inspect function, is important to avoid bad runs. Not least because if you havnt taken the time to hit dungeons as you level to improve your gear, you will also probably lack some basic idea of team play.

Although as I said, there is a lot of vanity involved. WoW raiding was killed for many because any sense of 'team play' was lost when the 1000th 'dps summary' splurged onto chat, followed by the 1000th flaming session because someone has 999.984562347 dps, not 1000...

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

At least its not: Retadin or GTFO

• TigerAeroTigerAero Member Posts: 127
    I suppose this is slightly off topic but I'm sure you are well aware that DPS comes a dime a dozen. No matter what stipulation is created or maintained there's always a bazillion DPS frothing at the keyboard waiting to mash some keys. ;-) I used to be one of them....until I realized the challenges of tanking. :)
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    People asking for the 4k AR for polaris HR and DW is dumb. we run it without deaths with a group 2.5k-3.5k they are just being elitest and wanting a quick run so they don't have to try.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Prettyt much why I quit TSW personally.  I finished the main storyline and thanks to not having a dungeon finder the only way to gear up was either standing in Agartha screaming for a group, which no one ever took me because I was in blue QL10 gear, or do the circle jerk Fusang PvP which was stupid.  PvP in TSW was god awful.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Prettyt much why I quit TSW personally.  I finished the main storyline and thanks to not having a dungeon finder the only way to gear up was either standing in Agartha screaming for a group, which no one ever took me because I was in blue QL10 gear, or do the circle jerk Fusang PvP which was stupid.  PvP in TSW was god awful.

We have a dungeon finder now, it's CTRL C (Maybe SHIFT C?) It's actually pretty epic.

Originally posted by ZigZags
    People still play this game?

The dungeon finder really...really clinched for me the "am I staying with this game?" :)

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by ZigZags
    People still play this game?

alot do...you'd be surprised...my chat screen is green all the time (cabal chat is green)....the general chat is pretty heavy too, but I rarely catch it because the cabal chat is so alive. 

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    This type of grouping elitism was present the second day of early access, why so shocked to see that it has only gotten worse from that point forward?
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Form your own groups. Issue solved.
  • DuranuDuranu Member Posts: 21

While I knew this would open up chatter regarding the "elitism" of some, and it's interesting to see all the viewpoints, my initial question still stands.  I suppose I could do the math, but wondered if anyone had already done so.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's attracted the ex EQ / ex wow because its now too "noob" friendly crowd.

Unfortunately the devs listened to them during beta
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Did you know, no one can even see you AR? I think it's just a guidline, atleast that's how I looked at it joining 4k AR request with about 3k :p
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

honestly the reason it became a problem in wow is because people were trying to get into groups for ICC 20 seconds after hitting 80. You would need ridiculous skill and coordination to do ICC without all of the nerfs in green quest gear. unfortunately it perpetuated into a ludicrous elite pissing fest .. but thats what you get when you start giving epics away for free. now it seems to be the norm in gear progression games.

really it was always like that. If you were an AQ40 guild, you still had to make sure the guy asking for an invite wasn't decked out in lvl 50 quest greens. I doubt any amount of skill could make that work.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

no, 'that's what you get' when you have gear as the primary endgame.  even worse when the only way to get such gear is through a lucky drop instead of working towards it.

I remember when dungeons were fun, not work you felt you had to do.  an end in themselves, not merely the means to material possessions.

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Duranu

Ok, so the title is a tad outrageous...

My serious question is, provided you're not PVPing 24/7 for tokens, what is the highest achievable stat (we'll go with AR, attack rating, in this case) that you can achieve through drops from just normal dungeons?  From elite dungeons?

Reason why I'm curious is beacuse I've seen some pretty interesting requests in "LFG" chat.  I understand people wanting to have an easy or quick run through a dungeon, but I've seen people turned down because "OMG, only 2.5k AR?  Not high enough for elite."

I myself have been turned down for NMs because I didn't have 4k AR.  Like I said, I can understand wanting a quick and easy run for bullion at the least, but it seems to be a growing trend. 

*edited for some spelling.

Its just another reason why tsw is a wow clone at endgame, the gearscore freaks have taken it over. Not only do you need absurdly high stats to run nightmare you need to have done it 500 times already.

• EscadaEscada Member Posts: 25

It is true you see some people asking for extremely high stats on occasion.  We see this in many games.  If they are running a group they have every right to ask for what they desire.. It is quite possible that they have long gone through the pain of learning all the bosses and simply wish a quick painless run.  I wouldn't expect someone who is 10.4 gear to be happy wiping on bosses whilst others are still learning it.

I do see quite a number of people advertising 'beginner' runs on NM..

However, I havent found it hard to get groups ever in the game.  I often create my own, I also tank a fair bit which (along with healing) can offer a pathway to well geared groups.. and you can then have access to many dps drops etc.  There is another alternative too: join a cabal!  I see many people playing the game without a cabal and thats a matter of personal choice but its not exactly playing smart.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

Some people in TSW do require a gear score, some don't care, why cry about it?  Stop whing and do something, make your own group, create a tank or heal build if you DPS.

What fun would it be if you could go to FAC NM right off the bat and beat it no problem in ql greens?  Wheres the sense of progression in that?  Not only does it take gear to get there, but skill as well which you develop while obtaining gear from the newbie NMs.

I don't do gear checks, I go to the newb NMs that I've cleared hundreds of times and get PUGs where we fail and cant beat the 2nd last boss, due to lack of skill/gear, this doesn't bother me, but it does bother other people, they have every right to be "elitist" in this sense as I have suffered through 14-15 attempts on newb bosses because my team calls me a newb for wanting to quit after 7 tries(im in 10.4.4). 

If people are claiming skill over their gear, then prove it, form your own groups and go run the newb dungeons and get yourself some purples with your skill, cause 18/18 is possible in ql 10 blue 5 man if you are skilled.  Im on Arcadia and people are forming groups for every dungeon 24/7, some gear checks others not.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Ive tried to join a cabal personally, last one I was in had 20 or so people and all of them left for GW2, if anyone has a good Illum Cabal let me know, I am only in QL7 stuff, all my skills are QL9-10 though, so elitists not apply.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

I recently let my TSW sub lapse, as Rift requires my full attention again (the 1.11 changes, OMGRRRD), but I wanted to comment on this in general because TSW is a solid game.

You will find these people in all MMOs with fun progression these days.  I guess I've just learned to turn it off subconsciously because I just rarely notice it anymore.  

Don't let things like this keep you from enjoying a good game.  For as many people behaving that way, there are more that are not.  TSW, in particuliar, is full of people that understand this situation and regularly form groups that are noob friendly.  (HINT:  Once you find some of those people, JOIN THEIR CABAL)

Don't sweat the small stuff.  Let the "uber elite" have their fun, and have your own in your own way.