Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there new players in Rift?

mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119

I installed trial version of Rift a few days ago. I'm now lvl 10, and I literally haven't seen anyone in the starting areas except me. Its rather boring playing allone.

Maybe i'm on the wrong server? Is there good server for new players?

Comments

• pitbulls20pitbulls20 Member Posts: 1
    I recelty started the trial and I am level 11 I think. It is pretty dead but I have seen a few others running around also. I have no idea what server I am on. I do plan to continue playing though.
  • DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602
    From what I remember the replayability of RIFT wasn't that great. Probably the reason it seems so empty. 
  • ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491
    Originally posted by mWo4life

I installed trial version of Rift a few days ago. I'm now lvl 10, and I literally haven't seen anyone in the starting areas except me. Its rather boring playing allone.

Maybe i'm on the wrong server? Is there good server for new players?

What server are you on?

• ChubakabrahChubakabrah Member UncommonPosts: 8
    You probably are talking about the noob starter zone.  That place might have one other person but once you get teleported to the main world there is a million people.  Unless you started on a dead server.
  • dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    I've been running into a lot of new people lately. My guess is people are getting a jump on the game before the expansion hits.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

1. Level to 15

2. goto activities> then click on instant adventures

3. Go into chat or forums and get into a guild

4. If you are on a low population server, transfer yout toon to a more lively server.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Don't think there are that many new people, as the game has run (seemingly) non stop specials and promotions since its launch, and has a 20 level trial.  What there will be a lot of, is returning people.  And returning people might just start a new toon instead of relearning their old toon especially since tomorrow's patch is a complete game changer for talent trees...RIP duracell spec.

Faeblight or Wolfsbane is your best bet.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Chubakabrah
    You probably are talking about the noob starter zone.  That place might have one other person but once you get teleported to the main world there is a million people.  Unless you started on a dead server.

which is about 2/3rds of them.  I understand them not doing server consolidations in case SL takes off, but Im betting the 4 servers tagged medium are going to get hit hard and the remaining servers will stay dead.  

If I were Trion I would retag the absolutely dead servers (vs the active low pop servers) as low, the low pops as medium, and the mediums as high.  That way the servers that can be saved get saved with SL, and the dead servers are still there if the demand needs them.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Chubakabrah

which is about 2/3rds of them.  I understand them not doing server consolidations in case SL takes off, but Im betting the 4 servers tagged medium are going to get hit hard and the remaining servers will stay dead.  

If I were Trion I would retag the absolutely dead servers (vs the active low pop servers) as low, the low pops as medium, and the mediums as high.  That way the servers that can be saved get saved with SL, and the dead servers are still there if the demand needs them.

Trion has been maintaining control over the flow of server transfers. I do recall once, I'd moved an alt off my server to fund a "new beginning" After I decided I didn't really want that due to some changes made in a patch, I wanted to move back. I couldn't do that right away. My server at the time (Wolfsbane) was not in the list of available servers. This was when it was listed as a Full server some months ago. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
          From what you read here you'd think that Rift has 10 million players but I think its just this site doing their part for RIft for the kickbacks.....And like another person said the replayability is aweful (and pretty much unnecessary) with having the soul system.
  • mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    I started playing Rift again last week and starting to have fun again.  I will say that just like WoW and most other mmos' most people play after work and on weekands.  I found a guild with alot of day players so I'm happy.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I mentor low level dungeons and yeah i can attest to a lot of new players on my server. How many will stick around? Maybe 1 in 10 is my best guess. Most of the convo is pretty positive in group though.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Theocritus
          From what you read here you'd think that Rift has 10 million players but I think its just this site doing their part for RIft for the kickbacks.....And like another person said the replayability is aweful (and pretty much unnecessary) with having the soul system.

"Awful" and "unnecessary" are completely different things. The Soul system reduces the need for alts since you can swap out many roles on a single character. Some view this as good since they don't have to grind out  a whole new toon to go from tanking to healing to DPS if that's what they want to do. "Awful" in this case becomes extremely subjective.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I was on with a friend in the newbie zone just the other day and saw 3 or 4 other people running around but then it is Faeblight which is a good populated server. It will really depend on which server you are on.

As someone else ahs mentioned, be sure to start doing Instant Adventures as soon as they are available. They do a great job bringing people together and giving you that busy feel that the game had early on.

All games thin out after a while, it is simply the way of things. I was in WoW a week or two ago to try out the pandas and I noticed that after getting out of the new starting zone and heading over to Stormwind and then out to Goldshire it would have been absolutely dead were it not for the zone sharing mechanic they just introduced. I was in the center of Goldshire and while it looked reasonably busy I began to realize that I couldn't find anyone from my server. it took 5 minutes of wandering around that little town before I found 1 person that was from my "High Pop" server. The annoying thing being that it is pointless to talk to people from other servers about guilds since you can't join guilds cross server. Sure there seemed like a lot of people there but really there was very few that made sense to hang out with. It really fractures the community. and all for what? so that I could fight race for gathering nodes and underpopulated quest mobs with people from different servers? yah, that is fun. My point is that even in a big game like WoW, the population, the realy population thins out. I will hand it to blizzard, they did come up with a creative way to create the illusion of activity but thats all it really is.  I would love to see shared zones however in Rift, where cooperative play has much more emphasis.

But don't like a thin population drive you away. Transfer to a better server and start supplimenting your questing with other activities that will get you into the mix. The strong point of Rift is that it gives you dozens of things to do and you get more of these things as you move up in the game.  Rift is not a dead game. Not by a a long shot.

All die, so die well.

• TyrranosaurTyrranosaur Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Yeah go try faelight server, it's densely packed in my experience and I'm constantly getting into public groups and IAs, sometimes entirely by accident. There's also a ton of RP going on if you're into that.

Current MMOs: Rift, GW2, Defiance
    Blog: http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com (old school tabletop gaming and more)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Any trial player that plays on the trial servers are going to be lonely. Firstly, all sub characters have been moved off those servers and subscribers can't create characters on those servers.

You can make a trial character on any server (shard) as far as I know, but the first one that comes up will be the one you don't want.

With the recent changes to every soul's skill tree, a lot of people are making new characters. Starter areas are fairly busy on the subscriber servers at the moment. Lots of new guilds being formed as well.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.