Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Since 2005 till today, is there a mmorpg better than GW2?

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Very simple. The best items to improve a legendary are only in the cash shop. Want to add a legacy slot? Cash shop again, and that's definitely not a "minor improvement".

I had absolutely no problem with the Turbine shop when it was still only selling cosmetic stuff and bank/inventory upgrades. But now they started to sell gear or mandatory stuff related to gear, and it gets worse every new patch. For the player, that model is just awful.

I think you need to give us an example. Put together something with the help of the cashshop that we cant get ingame. In details,thanks, that helps a lot.

Personally is right now the only item I bought from the cashshop my Black lion salvage kit (they also drop from the chests, but the keys for them are rare). And that is 300 (or is it 400?) gems, something not that hard to exchange for gold (1-2 gold depeding on current rate). And I needed that to get higher chanse of dropping ectos, not 100% neccesarily but it helps.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

While I enjoyed GW2, I've gone back to the prowl of Rift and WoW.  WoW isn't bad, it's just a bit dated.  And yet, I find myself returning to it.  Same for Rift.

Just my opinion.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Loke666

Very simple. The best items to improve a legendary are only in the cash shop. Want to add a legacy slot? Cash shop again, and that's definitely not a "minor improvement".

I had absolutely no problem with the Turbine shop when it was still only selling cosmetic stuff and bank/inventory upgrades. But now they started to sell gear or mandatory stuff related to gear, and it gets worse every new patch. For the player, that model is just awful.

I think you need to give us an example. Put together something with the help of the cashshop that we cant get ingame. In details,thanks, that helps a lot.

Personally is right now the only item I bought from the cashshop my Black lion salvage kit (they also drop from the chests, but the keys for them are rare). And that is 300 (or is it 400?) gems, something not that hard to exchange for gold (1-2 gold depeding on current rate). And I needed that to get higher chanse of dropping ectos, not 100% neccesarily but it helps.

I was talking about LOTRO there, not GW2.

I even say "Turbine shop" in my post... :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Great tone to this thread so far despite it's title

I enjoy GW2 a lot, but I wouldnt say its the best since 2005. I couldnt name any MMO where I would claim that. What I will say is that IMHO GW2 has the the best productiuon quality that I have seen in an MMO since 2005.

If I could have am MMO with the vision of Vanguard and the production quality of GW2, I would be in MMO heaven. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Yes, I feel I had more fun in WAR and just because they tied the instanced PvP into the rest of the game so I could spend most of my time doing, intense PvP:ing. GW 2 has sPvP which is separate from the rest of the game, so I dont like that, and WvW which most of the time is running around with Zergs and flipping control points.

I much preferred the small group fights in instanced PvP scenarios in WAR and for me open world PvP should be more like in Darkfall (the concept, not the implementation). So for me GW 2 is great in PvE but quite poor in PvP, which is the part of MMORPGs I value the most.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    The Secret World is far better..
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

GW2 is good for about a month, after that it becomes Guild Bores 2 so no it's not the best since 2005 imo.

The Secret World is better in every way except graphics imo.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Ofcourse there are. This is such a subjective thing. I am playing EQ2 along with GW2 and i find it a lot more fun.
  • eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    GW2 plays in a whole other league. Easily the best MMORPG since DAOC. Vanilla AOC was fun for abit but FunCom ruined it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

None of the above from how I like my MMO's designed.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

I measure mmo-quality using alot of measurements. One measurement is amount of systems(housing, crafting depth, player construction, pvp system(s)?, group-content, exploratory-potential, role-play-ability, and so on.

Guild wars 2 is a very young game and doesnt have common things like housing, fishing, etc. So you basically somersault around the world for exploration and achievements, it seems crafting is something done for bagspace maintenance, and if your tired of that you hop into WvWvW or a battleground. Maybe after years and years of development it will be fun, but after the new-ness of combat wears off the above is what your left with.

Games that have more post 2005:

Rift

Vanguard

WoW-(I personally dont like this game for many reason,)

Additional Notes: There are many sandboxes also that I would prefer to play over a game like GW2 also for typical reasons that make sandboxes more appealing. Also I enjoyed SWTOR more than GW2. Not knocking GW2 or its fans, I am glad they found a game they like.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Is Guild Wars 2 really a MMO? I mean...  where's the exploration? Ultimately a gigantic scaled Battleground.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Rift and SWTOR are better.

Edit: Add WAR to that list.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Macecard
    Originally posted by bcbully

Here is the list. Take a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games

If yes then which one(s).

Thanks.

[mod edit]

It's a Yes/No/Obstain poll.[mod edit]

IMO, I don't even consider GW2 a true MMORPG. It has many features of an MMORPG, but they are poorly connected and don't synnergize together such as the connections between PVP and PVE.This is even more profound than in other games. It lacks any kind of metagaming whatsoever.  I play GW2 and I feel like I have one game tha thas separate isolated subgames under one title. It's more a MMOG than an MMORPG.

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

WAR and SWTOR were massive failures trying to copycat one of the worst MMO's ever created.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by eAzydaman

WAR and SWTOR were massive failures trying to copycat one of the worst MMO's ever created.

And yet I found them both to be more enjoyable than GW2.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Hello Kitty Online  =^.^=

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

WAR and SWTOR were massive failures trying to copycat one of the best MMO's ever created.

Fixed this for you.

You not liking a MMORPG doesn't make it bad. WoW is the most successful MMO of all times for now, and there are many good reasons why so many players enjoy(ed) that game. And commercially, it's definitely still the best.

A game which maintained millions of subscribers for 8 years is definitely one of the best games ever, and that would be true even if I don't like the game.

Sadly, the above mentionned clones completely failed where WoW succeeded.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

I played all of those longer than GW2, in fact I got to max level with multiple characters with all of those games.

GW2? I quit at level 23.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I played all of those longer than GW2, in fact I got to max level with multiple characters with all of those games.

GW2? I quit at level 23.

You say that like it is a badge of honour.  I gotta shake my head if you think WAR and SWTOR is better than GW2, but to each their own.

Originally posted by Badaboom

GW2? I quit at level 23.

You say that like it is a badge of honour.  I gotta shake my head if you think WAR and SWTOR is better than GW2, but to each their own.

A badge of honor? [mod edit]

I say it as someone who regrets buying it.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    I enjoyed SWTOR more than GW2 but I think being better is a matter of taste. I really didnt like SWTOR harvesting/gathering and GW2's crafting isnt that much better.
    EDIT: became irrelevant when the thread was moved to the pub - thanks to the moderator for this - good riddance :)
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

GW2? I quit at level 23.

I will ask a different question than badaboom...

You quit GW2 at level 23 yet you still post here (negative post after negative post after negative post)... you actually post more here than on the forum of any game you actually enjoy. For one post on the SW:TOR forum, you post 10 here, all negative of course.

What the point? What are you hoping to achieve? Change the minds of those who enjoy GW2? Won't happen.

Time to move on, don't you think? Personally, if I hated a game so much than you hate GW2, I would get as far away as possible from any site or forum talking about it. I'd be on the SW:TOR forums trying to help people still playing it, instead of a forum of a game I don't even play trying to pee in other people's cheerios.

But whatever, I know I'm wasting my time... still trying, doesn't hurt.

It hard to "move on" when 80% of the threads are about GW2.

But yeah you're wasting your time, I don't need someone to tell me what to post about or when I should "move on".

Edit: You do know you can block posters right? Why not just use that instead of whine about someone's posts?

• i think it's the best game to date. graphics are amazing, attention to detail is unreal, combat is reactive and has just the right amount of abilities, builds give enough choice, DEs are a lot of fun, discovery crafting is actually fun (for me), multi guilds, cross server play, 3 faction massive battlegrounds, and all the little features help a lot as well (send mats to bank, F picks up all loot, etc).

the only real complaint i have with the game is the longevity of it. i have 500 hours in and don't see myself playing this everyday for life.

i do like this thread though. it's interesting to see what people like. i hate a lot of the games listed throughout this thread, but that's just my taste.

besides GW2 i think Rift is a great game as well though, but it's really hard for me to play it lately. mana, have to be stationary to cast, no dodging, missing all the small goodies, etc. i'm almost wishing i had never played GW2 as i think it may have ruined what i want/expect out of an mmorpg.