Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Since 2005 till today, is there a mmorpg better than GW2?

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Here is the list. Take a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games

If yes then which one(s).

Thanks.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    For me, sadly, there hasn't been a really good mmo since Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, and the original Asheron's Call.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    In my opinion SWTOR. I enjoy playing GW2 but enjoy SWTOR a little more. 
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Here is my list and why:

1. WoW - Awesome dungeon system, great PvP system, tons of content to keep you plenty busy

2. Lotro - Great crafting, great questing, good f2p system, housing

3. Rift - So much to do, great gear, best dev team in the business IMHO

GW2 will be great in the long run. It is just lacking the mmo feel to me in its current state.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by DMKano

Yes  obviously personal opinion but here it goes:

vanilla AoC - played it for 8 months from release in a guild with about 45 active players during the entire time. Vanilla AoC had IMO the best melee combat system out of any mmo released to date.

aion - played it for about 6 months in a very active guild, had a blast, was a very fun game.

rift - loved it

prior to 2005 - gen 1 games still own anything released in the last 8 years - UO, eq1,AC, DAoC 

Can't understand why people like that rift.  When I tried the trial it felt like WoW on rails, which is a really bad thing.   It must be a late bloomer.  Maybe that's why I like GW2 so much.  I get so much enjoyment from the first to last moment and I don't have to wait for the game to "come into its own."

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Tayah
    For me, sadly, there hasn't been a really good mmo since Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, and the original Asheron's Call.

Those were all well before 2005...

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

I don't know about "better", but none that I've liked as much. I liked GW1 more, I guess, but it wasn't a MMORPG.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Unfortunately, im more inclined to a different style of game & combat.

Do I think it's the best? Yes.

Is it my personal favorite? No.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Originally posted by Jimmy562

I think this says it all.  Clearly SWTOR is better than GW2.  GW2 is F2P but like most f2p the play just isn't all that.  Some people may be overwhelmed by the free status, but more an more are becoming underwelmed by the play.  Therefor just about any MMO since 2005 is enough to out shine gw2.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Obvious agenda is obvious... let's nip this in the bud then.

Just a hint to the OP before he tries to use this poll in other threads as any kind of GW2 bashing argument. A game not being the "best" for people doesn't make it automatically a "bad" game for those same people.

My "milestone" MMORPGs are UO, AC1, WoW and now GW2. So, since 2005, there has been no game as good as GW2 for me. But as I said, that doesn't mean there haven't been good games since 2005. LOTRO comes to my mind (before Turbine ruined the lore with flashy classes and turned it into the most awful pay 2 win model of the industry, of course), a good game, but not on my top list.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Guild Wars 2 is the best mmorpg i've played.

People that say there's nothing to do at 80 don't know what they are supposed to do because there's no raids.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by bcbully
    Here is the list. Take a look.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games If yes then which one(s). Thanks.  
    Silly comparisons. Is solitaire better than chess?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Well, as the question speaks to indivdual subjectivity, I have to say: yes, there are better MMOs.

Better = games I enjoyed more. In no particular order:

Atlantica Online

DC Universe Online

Star Trek Online

Warhammer: Age of Reckoning

World of Warcraft

Lord of the Rings Online

Star Wars the Old Repbulic

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

LOTRO comes to my mind (before Turbine ruined the lore with flashy classes and turned it into the most awful pay 2 win model of the industry, of course), a good game, but not on my top list.

Yet it is still one of the best the F2P models in the industry.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

No, I dont think so. I liked some aspects of other games better than the same in GW2 but GW2 just feel a lot more polished and less broken and/or predictable.

Rift however is an excellent game, but it just felt like I already played it for years after a few days. If it would have been my first MMO I would have loved it so it is a great MMO, but GW2 does not constantly remind me of other games when I play it.

Someone said AoC, and it really had a great potential. If ANET would have coded the game (or someone as good, FC sadly have rather bad coders) and FC wouldnt have wussed out in the alpha on the combat system and the zones would have been larger it could have become a great game. I mean the guildcity in it for example is a great idea that with a little more work in itself would have made a great guildendgame with huge potential. But sadly AoC just didnt work out even though all its ideas and some pretty good art, MMOs are constantly showing us that good ideas isnt enough, you need to be able to implement them in a nice polished way as well.

I could say just the same about Vanguard, many great ideas but they couldnt really turn it into a working polished game. That GW2 could is impressing, no matter who likes it or not. And yes, GW2 still have its issues but now less than 2 months after launch it have fixed up a lot of those issues already.

LOTRO was just as Rift well done but also lacked new ideas, if Turbine would have used more from AC and less from EQ & WoW it could have topped the list.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

It's been awhile since I have posted anything on these forums. For  several years now I have been what most would call a very casual gamer. Due to my long hours at work, and sometimes limited connection capability while out on the road my game time really has taken a downturn. GW2 is a casual gamers dream. Also it does something that other games have failed to do, and that is its got rid of the chore system ( quest system) that has plagued the MMO genre.  Quests should mean something in GW2 the story quests are great. They actually make you feel like your part of the world.. The exploration, and heart system lets me  keep track of less chores and mob/collection counting and really just enjoy the world and combat.

Is GW2 the perfect game? No it isn't. As a player who prefers social player interaction this game seems to be lacking a bit in that department. Sure people run into dynamic events areas to participate in them together, but usually without so much as a hello or good bye.  RIFT suffered from this as well, and it's one of the things that eventually drove me from that game. However RIFT was loaded to bear with the chore (quest) system I have grown to despise. 

As of right now GW2 at least for me pretty much is holding the top spot of games. I  haven't bee playing long and that could change.  As an old school EQ1 player I am still looking to see what SOE  has in store for EQnext.  However if they go the right direction with GW2 a d continue to add content and make the game more social friendly I might just stay here for years to come.

The last game to keep me for a long period of time was Vanguard Saga of Heroes, which was very group oriented back in the day. However even it suffered from the chore system.  

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

I'm with this guy.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Yes.  I think GW2 is a very fun game and I do like it a lot.

That being said, I don't think it's a great MMO.  It lacks too many core elements of what I believe makes a good RPG.  So, I'd more consider this game along the lines of something like D3.

If you really insist on calling it an MMO, I'd have to say it's one of the worst MMOs since as long as I can remember because of these same basic elements it has decided to rid itself of.

But as a game?  It's great.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I'm not sure why you started at 2005, I assume to skip WOW.

Anyway, I think WOW, LOTRO and SWTOR were actually better suited to my tastes.  GW2 seems to have changed things that weren't broken and leveling was much better in SWTOR.

Originally posted by bigsmiff

LOTRO comes to my mind (before Turbine ruined the lore with flashy classes and turned it into the most awful pay 2 win model of the industry, of course), a good game, but not on my top list.

If you're really into "pay to win", if that's your thing, sure... keep in mind that in LOTRO, the best gear with the best stats can only be obtained using the cash shop. Want the best legendary weapon? You NEED the cash shop. Also, want to compete in monster play? You will NEED the cash shop for your monster.

So please define "best", because from the player's point of view, it's definitely one of the worse.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by Tayah For me, sadly, there hasn't been a really good mmo since Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, and the original Asheron's Call.

I think that's Tayah's point, post 2005 the MMO market got oversaturated with garbage. It's about time a game like GW2 came along.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Well this all seems very subjective. Personally I can think of Darkfall off the top of my head, I found that to be a "better" mmorpg for all it's faults.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

If you're really into "pay to win", if that's your thing, sure... keep in mind that in LOTRO, the best gear with the best stats can only be obtained using the cash shop. Want the best legendary weapon? You NEED the cash shop. Also, want to compete in monster play? You will NEED the cash shop for your monster.

So please define "best", because from the player's point of view, it's definitely one of the worse.

I understand how PVMP is P2W in LOTRO. 

I stopped playing a while ago.  Why do you need to use the shop to make the best legendary?  And define best legendary, is it just a minor improvement over what you can make without the store?

I hate Turbine these days, but if it comes down to them shutting down or using cash hungry tactics on their Middle Earth fanboys, I know which I'll choose.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I can't agree, I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan since the 1970's (yes I'm that old) and have just about every SW game, but SWTOR put me off after a few months and most of my guild (of 8+ years with mostly SW fans) felt the same way. Now there's only 2 members from my guild still playing SWTOR while the rest of us are enjoying GW2, most of us even said GW2 is the most fun since the pre-CU days of SWG and we've been trying many different MMO games. My guild doesn't function very well in themepark on-rails games, SWTOR was too much single-player orientated and we like to help each other out, pvp, craft items but SWTOR was too much "help myself out".

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I understand how PVMP is P2W in LOTRO. 

I stopped playing a while ago.  Why do you need to use the shop to make the best legendary?  And define best legendary, is it just a minor improvement over what you can make without the store?

Very simple. The best items to improve a legendary are only in the cash shop. Want to add a legacy slot? Cash shop again, and that's definitely not a "minor improvement".

I had absolutely no problem with the Turbine shop when it was still only selling cosmetic stuff and bank/inventory upgrades. But now they started to sell gear or mandatory stuff related to gear, and it gets worse every new patch. For the player, that model is just awful.
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

Originally posted by Vhaln

Originally posted by Tayah For me, sadly, there hasn't been a really good mmo since Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, and the original Asheron's Call.

I think that's Tayah's point, post 2005 the MMO market got oversaturated with garbage. It's about time a game like GW2 came along.

I guess the idea of drawing the line post-WoW is exactly because of that.  It's not a question of whether GW2 has revolutionized the genre.. No MMO is going to compare to those golden age pre-WoW-clone MMOs.. but can they at least help the genre get moving in the right direction again?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.