Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Poll) Why I Prefer f2p

2»

Comments

• cheachancheachan Member Posts: 122
    I like F2P because I get to access it easily & of course help me limit my budget when it comes to cash shops

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    I don't like the p2p model
  • saydursaydur Member UncommonPosts: 185

I have a handful of issues with P2P games that make F2P more attractive in general.

First, expectations. I have played F2P games that I find enjoyable enough that I want to spend $5-15 per month. Often I will do exactly that and run around in hats that most people can't get.  However, I can play F2P that is just plain bad and have little to complain about. Spending an hour or two giving a game a chance is an exploration in its own even if the end result is walking away. If I try a free sample of pizza at the grocery store, I don't have to like it. If I don't, that's fine. P2P is different. With P2P, I spend money on the game ahead of time and expect their end of the transaction to deliver a game worth playing. If it is not worth playing, I feel cheated. Many P2P MMOs offer a capped demo to avoid this problem, but that fails to account for games where content is rich early on and drops off quickly either by going to repetitive unimaginative raids, lol nothing but pvp, or theme park do what we tell you to do style of play.

That brings me to problem number two. P2P MMOs ask for an up-front price and a monthly fee. Only a handful evade this trap. Diablo 3 has the up front price with no monthly fee. Runescape members can create the account for free but only get member access month by month. Both of these work, while games such as WoW ask for an initial price, buying expansion packs, and spending every month. Double-dipping like that is displeasing and only works if your game has long term appeal. Games which fit those criteria are few in number. While it is a subjective measurement, long term appeal is somewhat measurable by population over time, something only a handful of P2P games sustain all that well. Even the best games will decline, it's the not so great ones that fall hard enough that it feeds on a cycle of failure.

Third- Population. This is a double edged sword. The ability to bring in new players easily and fill up a few servers means that F2P doesn't see the player base drop in half in a week's time. Meanwhile, it brings in a lower quality of player. P2P is not immune to bad players, but F2P is going to attract a lot more of them. Simple fact, no way around it.

Fourth- Nature of the game. P2P games often try to be serious and in depth enough that they drive off not just casuals but the uninvested gamer. That is to say someone who knows what they're doing and handles themselves fine in a game, but they don't want to play the game as their primary free time activity. While F2P games try to drag people in deeper with gamified rewards, they're also designed where temporary breaks and less invested gameplay are quite viable for semi-active players.

Fifth- Seriously is it just me or are P2P games overwhelmingly fond of grimdark appearances, excessively theatrical music, and far too much drama in plotlines with comic relief being almost entirely referential/memetic humor? Sometimes I want something a little less serious business and recognizable as being a game.

Sixth- Buy the game for $49.99, first month free, $14.99 after, and buy your sparkling bear with wings mount and evil red glowing radioactive skull demon lord death helmet in our cash shop for only 1125 Ultrapoints, available only in increments of 1000!

If I want to spend money for the privilege of spending more money, I'm not doing that on an MMO.

Of course, there's plenty to rail about against F2P and I am personally a proponent of the hybrid model where spending money gets me more content while maintaining a F2P base in a limited area which provides a pool of potential new players constantly adding a stream to the premium end. That is for another thread. I'll just say that F2P could really use a lot more innovation on the fund raising end of things.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    You prefer f2p because you think its more fun to play with kids who dont have a credit card and you're poor.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Just for the record - there is no "I dont prefer f2p" option.

This makes sure the poll isnt general.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    F2P games arent my preference, but their useful as a time filler while your waiting for something decent to come out, or just as a break from playing main game etc. They don't really have any other value tbh, and rarely worth investing any serious time into. I guess it all depends on whether you can afford to pay for the decent games in the first place, if you can't then chances are F2P MMO's are about all you can access, kind of feel sorry for people in that predicament though. image
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Wait, are we talking about F2P or freemium here? Because it is a big difference.

Freemium games like EQ2 often gets a lot more expensive than P2P games if you want to play them at endgame.

F2P games on the other hand gives you access to the content for free, but unless you pay them you will need to spend a long time grinding.

To be honest do I prefer B2P instead, with an optional cashshop. When you make a B2P game you know you will at least get in the boxprice so you can be a bit more genreous on how much stuff players actually have to buy from the cashshop.

EA and Activision have both stated that they love F2P and plan to in the future make all games F2P (they mean freemium). That in itself should be enough to worry people, both companies have only one thing in mind; increased profits.

Of course all companies want profits but at least some actually have other goals as well, like making fun games and allowing the devs to make stuff they themselves like but EA and Activision both stopped being runned by gamers a long time ago, the suits only see money. You might remember a CEO of a certain company saying "We will take all the fun out of making games", that say it all.

All that said, a good game is more important than how I actually pay for it. I will not play a MMO for its price, it is too much of a commitment and it is worth to pay for a good game, no matter how you pay.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

I dont want to feel compelled by subscription.

I play many games , subscription forces me to play what i payed for. This is why i usually quit.

In case of GW2 (for example) - i play when i want, and if i want.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by ZigZags
    f2p games are just gimmicks. There's always a catch to get you to pay. For that reason, f2p games are crap.
    You prefer f2p because you think its more fun to play with kids who dont have a credit card and you're poor.

Gotta ask... is that why you're going to be playing Planetside 2?

Btw aren't you contradicting yourself? In 1 post you claim theres always a catch to get you to pay. But then you claim its for poor people without credit cards. How exactly are you going to pay for all those things they magically "trick" you into buying when you're poor and dont have a credit card?

Speaking of gimmicks. My favorite gimmick of all. "Hey keep paying us $15 a month. We promise, we will give you cool new stuff to do, and fix the broken stuff and bugs, and add new content. Oh, sorry it's taking us longer than expected it. Just keep paying that $15 and we promise it will be fixed next month, or the month after, or the month after that... OK we finally did everything we promised. But 1st, gives another $40 or $50 for this stuff we decided to call a different name to make it sound cool and box it as something else."

Originally posted by Adamantine

Quoted directly from the OP:

"Those who prefer a sub need not take the poll -- it's really for folks who prefer f2p."

Reading. Its the cool thing to do.

Its not about wether or not you like F2P, it is specifically for those who DO like F2P asking why they like it.

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142

Im sure its been said before, its a long list and why this isnt an option is well.. nevermind anyway

I voted other because

I do not have the time to play more than 3-4 hours a week on any MMO (about 8 hours a week gaming but you gotta include sigle player games.) and a subscription for 16 hours a month gaming is just too much.

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

Originally posted by kaiser3282
    f2p games are just gimmicks. There's always a catch to get you to pay. For that reason, f2p games are crap.

Btw aren't you contradicting yourself? In 1 post you claim theres always a catch to get you to pay. But then you claim its for poor people without credit cards. How exactly are you going to pay for all those things they magically "trick" you into buying when you're poor and dont have a credit card?

Speaking of gimmicks. My favorite gimmick of all. "Hey keep paying us $15 a month. We promise, we will give you cool new stuff to do, and fix the broken stuff and bugs, and add new content. Oh, sorry it's taking us longer than expected it. Just keep paying that $15 and we promise it will be fixed next month, or the month after, or the month after that... OK we finally did everything we promised. But 1st, gives another $40 or $50 for this stuff we decided to call a different name to make it sound cool and box it as something else."

"Those who prefer a sub need not take the poll -- it's really for folks who prefer f2p."

Its not about wether or not you like F2P, it is specifically for those who DO like F2P asking why they like it.

Im not. I beta tested it and it sucked. Just too lazy to update my sig

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Im not. I beta tested it and it sucked. Just too lazy to update my sig

Ah. Well, we do at least agree on something. Not sure what itis about the game, I enjoyed PS1, but something about PS2 just felt "off". Just had no desire to ever try it again afterwards.

It was bland and had no debth. That's all I can really say about it. There was absolutely no hook for me at all. On to TWZ.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Crunchy222 

Also with all this "make every game free" movement that seems to be happening...once the game does go free, and in every game designed as a free game, the next complaint from these people is about the cash shop.  They just want a p2p game thats free, meaning all access and no advantages for paying...which is funny because i bet if you asked any of them to work for you for free they would laugh in your face.

I know this topic has been beaten to death, and plenty of people out there have serious issues with paying for their entertainment, or dont have issues with a game with a never ending money sink as long as there is no standard fee...as strange as it all is to me, i dont care that free games exist, i just wish the followers of f2p would stop begging every p2p game to go free...because you sure dont see p2p gamers begging for all the many free games to go p2p.  Also i have a belief that if $15 a month is way too much to ask for a game then gaming should NOT be a priority or even an option...you have bigger issues in life that should be dealt with.

I usually attribute the "I want it to be completely free!" attitude to kids that never worked a single day, or people who simply don't bother to consider that it takes more to run an MMO than just some guy writing a few lines of code and then tossing it onto the cloud.

Infrastructure, time, network costs, etc...

And I fully agree that followers of both sides should stop trying push everything to become F2P or P2P (yes, P2P people do it too, not just the F2P crowd).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    More on topic, I don't really prefer F2P - I'll gladly play both systems as long as the game's worth it.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375
    i understand the ftp model and i won't contribute. sorry i couldn't find a way to contribute to your poll.
  • comrademariocomrademario Member Posts: 98

I picked other but really it's a combination of a few of your choices with this one, which is the most important for me;

I have a job, a house and girlfriend that takes up most of my time, so I use mmos as a means of relaxing whenever I have time. That could be 5 hours  a week, that could be 20 hours a week, it's very much varied depending on my job. I can never compete timewise with someone who is able to put 30 hours minimum into a game a week but I don't mind dropping money to get some power items that will level the playing field somewhat, which is what f2p should be all about.