Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of mmorpg would you create? No swords or dragons allowed

Comments

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

What i really want is an MMO almost close to EvE with a huge exception, the player is a an avatar on a ship, the ship is either treated like a house or even better a guild hall, then add in pirating and boarding assaults.

Even better would be to take all of that and blend it into the Aliens Vs Predator universe, but the Aliens are NPCs the humans and predators are player races.

Allow third of first person perspectives, third person ship navagation perspectives, give bonuses to manned stations and give each station certain controllable aspects that need to be monitored, adjusted, enhanced. Having specialized classes based on ship wide aspects with each one providing a certain specialized combat function when not at a station.

For example: Navagator would have weapons based around tracking and to hit enhancements.

Gunners: would be a primary ranged DPS.

Soldiers: would be tanks for repelling and boarding enemy ship assults.

Ships doctor: obviously the combat medic.

Science officer: could be a hybrid class.

Engineer could be a pet class with robotics. 

I dunno i would go back to EvE if i had a humanoid Avatar that moved about inside the ship, but i just really dislike the ship being me. I also hate not being able to have other players in my ship or me in theirs. The greatest thing about SWG was it had this, too bad it was almost treated as an afterthought. 

When CCP released information about Dust i was so hoping we would get ship boarding assaults, but they were narrow minded and just thought ground battles to be more important. 

Hell, if someone made a decent on the water pirate game that was centered around this i would play that too.

Lolipops !

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

No MMO dares to do forced grouping, single toon, or include a death penalty.  Any game setting that includes any of those would be a dream come true.  The game could be fantasy, sci fi, western, disney, anything........... 

Edit:  Only ONE hybrid class!  ONE

Edit 2:  Or NO hybrid classes

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Planet of the Apes

3 factions: Apes, Humans, and Mutants.

And you can "defect" to other factions ( like the chimpanzees Galen and Zira helping the humans in the films ).

Have it take place a few generations after the films ended, with the humans slowly regaining their knowledge from old-world artifacts after having iniially been taught by Taylor hundreds of years before.

By this time, the mutants have started coming out of their isolation and bomb "idol" worship and have decided they should be the true rulers of the new Earth.

After hundreds of years, many more Apes would have made the decision that Humans can be equals and many Mutants as well would rather have peace with all then another Great War which lead to their creation in the first place ( which explains the cross factioning being viable )

This might be the best idea ever

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

I would create a mmorpg which your character was a wizard guarded by a Battle Dragon wielding a sword and magic shield.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

If there are no swords then it's going to be cheesy, period. 

My MMORPG would have to have true character development: you start as a weak, child avatar. Your body, skills and mind develop over time.  Depending on how you spend your time online your character will appear more muscular, more athletic or more intelligent.  How you play will require skill.  Each mob has strengths and weaknesses so you will have to learn how best to defeat them.  Each player will have a special power unique to them that is not revealed until higher levels - perhaps the game generates your gift based on your historic play style.

• BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52
    A sci-fi mmo with lots of space combat.

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Magiknight
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Planet of the Apes

3 factions: Apes, Humans, and Mutants.

And you can "defect" to other factions ( like the chimpanzees Galen and Zira helping the humans in the films ).

Have it take place a few generations after the films ended, with the humans slowly regaining their knowledge from old-world artifacts after having iniially been taught by Taylor hundreds of years before.

By this time, the mutants have started coming out of their isolation and bomb "idol" worship and have decided they should be the true rulers of the new Earth.

After hundreds of years, many more Apes would have made the decision that Humans can be equals and many Mutants as well would rather have peace with all then another Great War which lead to their creation in the first place ( which explains the cross factioning being viable )

This might be the best idea ever

Agree. That actually would be a pretty cool IP to use for an MMO if it was done well.

• AriannaeAriannae Member UncommonPosts: 40

Without a doubt, a Pokemon MMO.

Doesn't matter what kind, just have Pokemon in the name, and sit back and wait for the influx of money. Honestly surprised it wasn't brought up or even mentioned.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Agree. That actually would be a pretty cool IP to use for an MMO if it was done well.

Had it been done in those decades while the franchise was lying dormant...it would've been cheaper.

With Hollywood rebooting the franchise, the rights are going to be expensive.

Bad timing :P

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Glitch is a game that already fits what you are describing.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• golembanegolembane Member UncommonPosts: 102

If I was to do an MMO...

A modern day, alternate timeline based MMO where electric coils attached to hands and wired to a generator on the back is the main focus of the game, allowing the generator to power cars, trains, add and electric charge to shovels or spin an electric screwdriver.

Races would be human (which are you basis and average at controlling all the various steam and generator based tech), homunculus (which can't use any of the era's tech but capable of shifting their bodies into non-electric based tools and weapons), and mechanized golems capable of thought (which can't use human tech, nor can they transform, but they have hard-points that can have equipment attached and removed as needed, far more durable than the other races and pack more of a punch, but less adaptable in the field).

Should be a skill based game rather than level based game, as just because you picked up an axe from a lumbermill doesn't mean you are going to be Paul Bunyan. Vehicles and low tech modern day equipment should be common place, so a human could power a car, than jump out and grab a jackhammer. Maybe not well, but they should be capable of doing so.

The overall enemy the three races would face would be martians who have come to enslave the Earth. The Martians are better geared, and far more lethal, but the Earthlings are more numerous and fighting for their home. Combat should be brutal, with characters having to actively avoid being hit, otherwise 3-4 hits could kill any player at the best of times (1-shot at the worse). Focus should be on using terrain and tactics to outwit the invaders and reach objectives.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    They're already doing this. TWZ. Guns and Zombies.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342

A sandbox Star Wars MMO.

I would ask these guys to supply the space game play

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=26

And then put into place ground combat and skill system which would be open ended and you would skill up in only the ones you use. There would be a maximum skill point count, but you could unlearn them to get new skills over time.

Or make a Werewolf the Forsaken MMO set in the WOD with a perma death system and full loot right in pvp open world combat as well.

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    I would make swg2 but do it right ! As in pure sandbox realistic player cities. Many more planets no starting classes, skill based traing same as eve online. Special sequence of events to become a jedi, the same indepth crafting as the old swg and the same resource system but expanded upon. And complete customizability of craftef items. seemless transition space combat, atmospheric flight, true multiplayer ships even guild star ships. The things you can do that is being ignored is phenominal.
  • AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    No themparks or dungeons. Almost open pvp maybe a similar system to how eve defined safe dpace and lawless space
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I like the planet of the apes idea, but not the 3 faction part.

Set it a bit earlier, have players be all human with apes as npcs you have to avoid not really directly fight. Make it a survival and crafting orientated sandbox so you have to discover the use of tools etc.. minecraft style but as a group activity. Eventually you might want to build a hidden village and have look outs for gorilla patrols etc.. all the while you have to sorry about food, clean water, heat etc..

Sort of ties in with the caveman mmo idea.
  • CordezCordez Member Posts: 6
    I'd make an mmo based on 17-18 century Britian/France with a bit of a steam punk twist sandbox. With highway men, stage coach robberies, piracy, exploring new continents etc etc
  • Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375
    I read through 12 pages and no one is "getting it". As far as I'm concerned all the answers culminate to why gw2 exists, and it makes me sad.
  • TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    It would be an amazing game with swords and dragons... and the distinct possibility of a castle. And massive sieges with siege weapons and old men screaming "Give no quarter!".

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

*Edit*

Disregard.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Daneril
    A sky diving mmorpg? don't see how a sky diving game could be categorized as a mmorpg, especially the rpg part. it would just be a multiplayer sky diving game.

1: One with swords, dragons, magic, shields and wizards

As your skydiver successfully makes jumps he aquires skills and cash.
    And by doing this, enables you to buy better jumping gear and equipment, better planes ect.

At a certain stage, The jumper will go into competition with, and against others doing airborne 'acrobatics' and formations. again, getting prize money and skills.

Lets take this a steep further by implementing sub sports such as wing gliding. You could again, with the proper funding, skills and cross training race your friends while gliding though a valley.

Endgame would be something like we have seen recently like jumping from space, If you have the relevant skills and funding you may actually be able to accomplish this feat.

Now, thats not traditional in any sense, but with a bit of luck it could be viable for a small studio to produce, and make a small profit.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

A proper 2.5D puzzle-platforming mmo with multiple player interaction in the platforming.

The flash and movement-mechanics of Prince Of Persia with Trine puzzling mechanics and character-based skills.

Heavy emphasis on cooperation and execution with creative ways to solve problems.

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by tawess

I'd buy in to the transformers IP and build a Transformers MMO.

That is all.

too late.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

Open world sandbox PVE game like Xsyon, with ability to turn pvp flag on/off on your land "not the way around" then it is a complete sandbox without prefixed sides and that will enable you to choose sides, with Fallout New Vagas combat and smart AI like in Rage, and like EVE online fly in ships.

Comlete crafting overhall, by this I mean you find a piece of equipment, then you take it to your shop, then reverse engineer that equipment to learn new recipe, and only then you can create new part.

Same way for weapons, armor, etc.. etc.. etc..

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    A satirical MMO where fun and laughter is the ultimate goal. A literal sandbox MMO where you play in the sand with other people.