Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO you hate the most because of the fans

Comments

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Great thread.

Although it is not an mmo, LoL was the only game that I ever uninstalled just because of the players. I have a think skin, but the players of LoL are unbearable and they make that game completely unfun.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Every F2P game I have the misfortune or misjudgement to try.

I have yet to ever hear of any F2P game with a non-shitty community in fact.

Not too sure why that is.

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137

Hate is such a strong description, but the MMO that really takes the cake has to be EVE.

It's not because of the game which I do like it, to a point.

The overly sensitive FanBois want everything dumbed down to almost where the game plays itself. 

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

EVE use to be king of most obnoxious fans for me, in game the community is pathetic as well. I don't know about in game, but the GW2 fans have surpassed EVE now, please stop the worship.

For all games the most annoying fanbases are Minecraft, LoL, and Skyrim...all of them greatly surpass any MMO in annoying, stupid fanboys.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Every F2P game I have the misfortune or misjudgement to try.

I have yet to ever hear of any F2P game with a non-shitty community in fact.

Not too sure why that is.

Biggest reason is the ammount of players those games get, another one is the age. Since its f2p most can get it, even if you dont have much cash.

OT:

I dont hate fans of any mmorpg or any game for that matter. Some posters on this site is quite "Uniq" though.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Hmm... dislike I'll say, hate is too strong.

I'm just really distasteful of people who buy into their games blindly. WoW is big on this though I'd have to say most of all GW2 fans. OH... my... god. Theres nothing that annoys me more then seeing people on  GW2 forums going on and on talking about "oh there so much to do *copy/paste list Devs game*" which contains a list of stuff you can copy and paste into virtually any game and its there with only mild changes and in many cases more options (primarily due to being out a bit longer, not really GW2 fault). I'm easily aggitated about the ignorant mostly and specially when the company tries to preech to them MMO 101 and they use it to claim its 'the best ever'. Every comapny does do this in some way though ANET in particular seems quite adamament in the "We know games better then you, you're doing it wrong" approach.

I guess really in truth I 'dislike' all fanboys really rather then just regular fans. Its fine to be a fan of a game and enjoy it, so long as your not blindly following it and for you a list of Pros and cons would list the word "Perfect" or write off any negatives people post as 'your doing it wrong'. 

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

I'm not sure if it's any game/fans in particular. I think it's more of a general attitude that some people have. You know, the one where their game is completely infallible, and any slight critique is considered heresy. Those fans come with pretty much every game. The bigger the game's footprint, the more of those types of people there are. Most recently, probably GW2. Personally, I couldn't really get into the game. I have my reasons why, and I've been berated for sharing them... and I wasn't even attempting to be contentious. I don't really hold it against the game that people are like that, however there is a small part of me that makes me want to like it less because of them, so I can understand why this question was asked.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Yeah the over zealous gw2 fans are lulz:

"If you like xyz instead of gw2 thats fine. I hope you enjoy yourself. Personally, i have evolved past that archaic style and could never revisit that trash. But you go ahead and have fun with that mmkay?"

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Lienhart

Mine: Dark Age of Camelot

SWG.  

Post-mortem canonization still an ongoing daily process; much revisionist history too.

(Watch the CoH fans; the next martyrs)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Foomerang

"If you like xyz instead of gw2 thats fine. I hope you enjoy yourself. Personally, i have evolved past that archaic style and could never revisit that trash. But you go ahead and have fun with that mmkay?"

But...but...even the "news" articles here say it's a "game changer!"

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Only time I really remember not hating, but being put off a game because of fans is CoH, but mostly it's because of one particular fan. An IRC friend, really nice guy when he wasn't in full on fanboy mode... but when he was on it, he either loved something with a passion, or hated it to dead... and at that time he was very deep into CoH (he was a very intense roleplayer) and hated WoW, mainly because one of his first supergroups in CoH had disbanded when most of them left the game to play WoW...

Guess what most of the rest of the regulars on the IRC channel were playing at that time, including some people that he got to try CoH before WoW and ended up playing WoW instead.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

People sure got caught up on the word "hate". 

The worst forums I have seen on this site were the DF forums.  They were brutal.  The fans were hardcore but reported people like spolied children.  The people who tried the game and did not like it would just not let go. 

Eve has a fanbase that can get on your nerves, but they have toned it down a bit. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• carpalcarpal Member UncommonPosts: 99
    WoW by far. A fanbase that has spent so much time in that game, they will never leave, for fear of having to start over is just too much for them.  I know several like that.  Good for Blizzard, bad for players missing out on other games.
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Psychow

It is :D

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by carpal WoW by far. A fanbase that has spent so much time in that game, they will never leave, for fear of having to start over is just too much for them.  I know several like that.  Good for Blizzard, bad for players missing out on other games.

But don't WoW players essentially have to restart after every expansion?

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207
    For me, it's DDO.  When in game, everything is gravy.  But, go to the forums, you'd think that the game was a hot pile of shit with a staph infection chaser.  While not as bad as I've heard other games forums are, but the in game/forum ratio of bile is out of hand.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by carpal
    WoW by far. A fanbase that has spent so much time in that game, they will never leave, for fear of having to start over is just too much for them.  I know several like that.  Good for Blizzard, bad for players missing out on other games.

3 guys I work with this are in that camp.  The funny thing is they are all considered bads, i.e. the types who had all 71 points into their talent tree (when talents existed) or the type who run a normal dungeon and can barely get past the first boss.  They spend all their game time running things like BRD at level 85, or any number of inferior dungeons.  Their gear is indicitive of their skil las well, one of the guys still has level 50 blues from vanilla dungeons because in his words "it looks cool". 

I tried to talk them into how great GW2 is but they wont ever leave Blizzard's teet.  I swear that company must pump kool-aid through their IP adresses.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

I sure hope not, because it was the fastest I'd ever become bored with an MMO. I'm sure the experiece may be different for others, but for me...meh.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

I sure hope not, because it was the fastest I'd ever become bored with an MMO. I'm sure the experiece may be different for others, but for me...meh.

Still a game changer. :D

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

I always felt like World of Warcraft brought a unique breed of gamers if you will.

Never before did I walk into Wal-Mart and hear people saying stuff like Epic.  Hell, I even hear people saying Lawlz and what not.

In previous MMO the community meant something... your image and how you presented yourself on the game affected your ability to join guilds and get groups.  That changed with WoW... because it was not necessary so people went to a negative social aspect where they do nothing but insult players... example QQ became very popular as well as the L2 phrases L2Heal L2Play L2QQMORE L2PvP ... hate WoWers.

Edit: Said Effected not Affected... please don't

L2Spell or L2Effect ot L2Affect me.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

And that is why GW2 fans are the way they are.  You say you dont like them, but you belittle them and call them names based purely on you not liking the game.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I honestly hate the people who hate people just because they have differing opinions.

I'd be fine if the back and forth banter was more than half-informed at best. But all too often it feels like politics because people throw half-baked lies wrapped in opinions of what they think the games are like at one another until one side or the other just gives up.

It's rarely conversations or debate, it's just mud slinging psychosis.

I mean we even have at least one person who openly admitted he dislikes a game he never played in this thread simply because he disagrees with the people that played it. In the OP itself you have a mostly ok statement that breaks down because of poor frame of reference and a terribly pointless question.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by BrotherD

WoW

GW2

Same for me.

• deamiandeamian Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Never have and never will let people choose or influence what I like and don't like. Pretty weak minded to do so.
  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Lienhart

Mine: Dark Age of Camelot

SWG.  

Post-mortem canonization still an ongoing daily process; much revisionist history too.

(Watch the CoH fans; the next martyrs)

Oh man.  I was an SWG player until the NGE, which I left for CoH.  How messed up will I be?:P

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

This discussion has been closed.