Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Next Big MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

To say that there have been some recent disappointments in highly anticipated MMOs recently might be considered an understatement. So what is it that MMO gamers have left to look forward to as "the next big MMO"? Find out in our latest Pokket Says column then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

I'm not one to complain about this break in releases that we are having at the moment, I was swamped with playing MMOs as it is. I feel like, at least now, I get a chance to catch up on games that I didn't have the chance to enjoy. Of course, I'll continue to play various MMOs, but a break would be nice. I feel like if anything, this is a break that a lot of us needed. It was tiring, time-consuming and, at times, extremely frustrating.

Read more of Hillary Nicole's Pokket Says: The Next Big MMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Seems like plenty of MMOs have been coming out, or existing ones with expansion packs.  I don't see where the main developers seem to be slowing down. 

The problem is the big developers have been so busy with existing products and recent releases so who knows when their next big MMO will be ready?

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    As in most industries, "the next big thing" is unlikely to be produced by any of the big publishing houses because they have simply grown too risk averse and weighted down by thier own internal beaurocrcies to think or act outside the box. It's going to take someone that isn't bound by conventional wisdom to do that. Which usualy means an independant that can build up from a modest base (tough to do with the costs involved with MMO's) or come up with some inventive financing to get the job done.....or maybe a company that's outside the MMO sphere jumping in.
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    I think for the most part the day of the AAA big budget mmo is over.  With GW2 being the exception, recent releases like SWTOR and TSW have probably for the most part put a big damper on any more big budget mmos in the near future.  So any next big thing will probably be something low budget with good design that takes off on it's own merit.
  • SintrixSintrix Member UncommonPosts: 52

TSW will be my "next big MMO"  for a while.  I'm hoping we will see a real MMOFPS in the near future.  PS2 isn't it. Maybe Trion can pull it off with Defiance.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

There are plenty of MMOs on the horizon.  We've just, at this point in time, reached a "rest" or break period between developers and their games.   We've still got Wildstar, ArcheAge, The Elder Scrolls Online and Neverwinter coming in the next year or so as well as various others in the pipeline from sandboxes to eastern games.  All of them look promising and that's all I'm going to view them as.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

I think we've definitely passed the hype zone though.  Which might be a very good thing as it seems overhype tends to make these boards go into "riot" mode. 

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by elocke

I think we've definitely passed the hype zone though.

Are you kidding? The next over-hyped fail project is ALWAYS around the corner.

The title of this thread proves it lol.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Originally posted by elocke

I think we've definitely passed the hype zone though.

Are you kidding? The next over-hyped fail project is ALWAYS around the corner.

The title of this thread proves it lol.

What this guy said ^

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by IIIcurrier
    [mod edit]

Clearly you DO need to read it.

It's about the relative lack of major hype for any upcoming MMOs and why that might be happening.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    It's all pointless.  No one's ever going to be happy with an MMO again the way things have been going.  You can introduce new ways of doing things, or you can stick to the old ways.  Either way, people will bitch and moan about it.

Until there is Asheron's Call/Wurm with an innovative and world changing options to quests like Fable/Witcher/recent Bethesda quests ( though that's about all they did right ).

Character building, terrain forming, realistic lands and multi-way quest lines.

Add in that I can control the game with my mind, and maybe CCP's carbon engine + Euclideon's engine , and I'll pay for it.

No more shit MMO's, please!

bump
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

We are separating into smaller bases spread around the games that already exist..

People think that every MMO gamer is the same fair weather bounce from game to game type, but thats not true.. Some groups of people actually stay and play certain games for a while and don't give 2 craps about the "next big MMO"..

Even though the mainstream has given up on games like Rift, SWTOR and even TSW, I am positive that there are still people who have chosen to stick it out with what they enjoy playing..

If you add the populations of ALL currently playable MMO's (that includes F2P), you will see that it is so spread out between soo many types of games that there will really never be that ONE game to attract or please everyone enough to be considered a "big" thing..

No game will please me until it is all games in one, thinking that there cannot be a General game is the limiting thinking that brings us into these situations of stagnate markets and retarded players.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but personally, if Warz is the next big MMO, I will be quite shocked.  

After EA stubbed their toe on SWTOR we will have to wait and see if anyone is willing to risk big bucks on a MMO for some time.  

Lots of cut scenes and voice overs are expensive and definitely NOT the way to go when making a MMO.  Small worlds with quest hubs also is not a great thing.  

If a studio can get some funding for something different it would be interesting.  I just don't see that happening at the moment.

My thoughts, a MMO needs, an open world that keeps all areas pertinent to all players( no outleveling an area) and allows non instanced housing, has no classes, and has an economy based on crafting.  

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but personally, if Warz is the next big MMO, I will be quite shocked.  

After EA stubbed their toe on SWTOR we will have to wait and see if anyone is willing to risk big bucks on a MMO for some time.  

Lots of cut scenes and voice overs are expensive and definitely NOT the way to go when making a MMO.  Small worlds with quest hubs also is not a great thing.  

If a studio can get some funding for something different it would be interesting.  I just don't see that happening at the moment.

My thoughts, a MMO needs, an open world that keeps all areas pertinent to all players( no outleveling an area) and allows non instanced housing, has no classes, and has an economy based on crafting.  

+1

don't quite agree with the " ( no outleveling an area ) ". In Asheron's Call they countered this with the Allegiance/XP system and cast on Other buffs.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    The next big bag of hype will be The Elder Scrolls Online. Then a few months after it launches we'll be able to put that in the recycle bin too.
    Originally posted by Hybrid314
    The next big bag of hype will be The Elder Scrolls Online. Then a few months after it launches we'll be able to put that in the recycle bin too.

Any online game bethseda comes out with won't even end up in the recycle bin, but never installed.

Single players we're lacking enough without 20+ general overhaul mods, then everything else inbetween. I do not see them producing anything of quality or flexability Online. ( maybe never winter, but who knows what companies will do )

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    i think we need blizz once again. i m sick anymore to all saviors, new gen and next big things. i have payed enough to rift, swtor, aoc, war, gw2. this time i ll just wait blizz to make a new mmo. if i have a hope, i have it from blizz. no1 else
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

To say that there have been some recent disappointments in highly anticipated MMOs recently might be considered an understatement.

Not according to your coverage.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Hybrid314

I think the next big bag of hype will be Planetside 2 or ArcheAge.  Both games are just really really bad and cater to the lowest common denominator.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

LOL Blizzard barely made a D2 a interesting game, and half of that is from dedicated fans running private servers, and the ladders going with blizzard selling items in the cash shops, ie d2lootz .

Then they flunk D3.

WOW was what happens when you have mass marketing + generally newbie people trying MMO's.

Blizzard sucks, just about as much as Bethseda, Warner Bro's, Perfect World anyone of these big companies has no heart to gamers only cash.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"I will talk more about this next week, should memory permit me, but all this basically boils down to: is the industry running out of ideas for MMOs?"

I don't think it's that they're running out of idea, just that the fantasy-themed level-based mass genocide thing has been done to death. Massively multiplayer online gaming has more diversity and breadth now, and developers are branching out into other variations such as Action RPGs, online FPS, MMORTS, and MOBAs.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KARMARIUSKARMARIUS Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I'm having a blast with GW2. But my bets for next top MMOs will be for Neverwinter and Defiance.. 
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Member UncommonPosts: 342
    I don't know about WarZ.  I am willing to bet that most MMO players aren't really interested in a MMORPGFPS myself included.  As many have pointed out after SWTOR flamed out, I just don't a big company investing that kinda cash into a MMO anytime soon.  If anything, I think it will be a smaller studio that will lead the revolution if there is even one to be had.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    It's all pointless.  No one's ever going to be happy with an MMO again the way things have been going.  You can introduce new ways of doing things, or you can stick to the old ways.  Either way, people will bitch and moan about it.

WHICH old ways? People have been dying for an MMO to go back to the old ways for a long time, and the few that HAVE gone back to the old ways have been met with a warm reception.