Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO you hate the most because of the fans

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Lienhart

Mine: Dark Age of Camelot

I tried playing it years back (before WoW came out). Hated it for it's inferior graphics and lack of direction.

The fans always talk about how great it's PvP was, I always found it incredibly boring. Most likely, though, because I'm heavily into true skill based PVP games (CS1.6, SC and others back then).

How 'bout you guys?

hold up, hold up!, you played DAOC before WoW came out and you complained about inferior graphics?.... before WoW came out you had awful graphics in every mmo and they all looked amazing fpr being the first and only mmos with 3d graphics (EQ1, DAOC, and maybe some other) and DAOC looked far better than EQ1 visually at that time

your question is indeed tricky as someone said

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I recently made the "mistake" of going on the forums of the TSW forums and made a few valid and obvious criticisms of the game. I got flamed and  TBH I kinda expected it. But there is something about MMOs that if you point out some of the most obvious flaws people get personally offended as if you just called someones wife ugly. Personally I have never been a fan of anything and although I like and enjoy a lot of MMOs I have never liked them to the extent that I believe they can do no wrong.

I think the worse case I've come accross was when Darkfall first came out. I had problems cancelling my sub and for once I let my irritation get the better of me and began a one man flame and troll war in the forums until I eventually got banned. I still have some irrational hatred for the game.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Whatever is the next big thing on the horizon, before even alpha or beta testing happens. So much speculation and crystal ball scrying it gets sickeningly annoying at times. Those players who hype the "hype meter" off of the charts. The ones trying to "wish into existence" their personal best game ever, stating outlandish hopes as facts.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by rojo6934

I tried playing it years back (before WoW came out). Hated it for it's inferior graphics and lack of direction.

The fans always talk about how great it's PvP was, I always found it incredibly boring. Most likely, though, because I'm heavily into true skill based PVP games (CS1.6, SC and others back then).

How 'bout you guys?

hold up, hold up!, you played DAOC before WoW came out and you complained about inferior graphics?.... before WoW came out you had awful graphics in every mmo and they all looked amazing fpr being the first and only mmos with 3d graphics (EQ1, DAOC, and maybe some other) and DAOC looked far better than EQ1 visually at that time

your question is indeed tricky as someone said

Yeah, I'm sorry, but calling this bad for 2004 is just BS.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Arakazi

I recently made the "mistake" of going on the forums of the TSW forums and made a few valid and obvious criticisms of the game. I got flamed and  TBH I kinda expected it. But there is something about MMOs that if you point out some of the most obvious flaws people get personally offended as if you just called someones wife ugly. Personally I have never been a fan of anything and although I like and enjoy a lot of MMOs I have never liked them to the extent that I believe they can do no wrong.

I think the worse case I've come accross was when Darkfall first came out. I had problems cancelling my sub and for once I let my irritation get the better of me and began a one man flame and troll war in the forums until I eventually got banned. I still have some irrational hatred for the game.

Best idea is if you dislike TSW stay away from their forums even if you have valid constructive criticism. Look at the TSW fans in this thread alone lol. They can be pretty rabid right now, give them a few months to cool off and accept things then you should be able to critique the game without getting attacked. 

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    EVE  of course, because its fans without a doubt are the biggest bunch of insufferable, know it all arses to ever grace the gaming world.  image

Correct, EvE players are thet most arrogant scum of all MMO playing denziens and when I played they got right on my **** BUT though I loath EvE Players the game wouldn't be the same without them image

Though recently the crown has to go to the paradigm changing, all conquering, earth shattering, MMO messiah's of the gaming God.... GW2 fans.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Hate's a strong word, but I certainly dislike the GW2 fanatics and am quite frustrated with the supporters of F2P or cash shops.

Edit: As an added note, the TOR fans prior to release weren't so great, either.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Anarchy Online has a pretty douchebag playerbase.. Still a pretty fun game, but I feel sorry for the new guy who doesn't understand exactly how to build a "perfect" profession (Engineers and Enforcers get the most flak).

I seen where someone said EvE, and I agree to a certain degree.. The open endedness of the game means that some people see douchebaggery as like a role.. Enter the word ROLEplay and you get a decent guy being a douchebag because that is his character, and in real life he may be kind and gentle but on the game he will lie cheat steal and kill you all day long..

(Good thing you aren't talking about games in general because Call Of Duty games would definitely rank number one..)

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

How 'bout you guys?

I agree although I haven't played the game. Just hate the fans. image

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

i know EVE is an easy answer for anyone who has invested any time in the game, especially as a new player without a corp to fly with and rely on. i'm going on 6 years now, and it just takes time to develop a proper filter for what you want to see/read or not. by its very nature, EVE has the community it does. it really cannot be any other way in the internet spaceship sandbox. so in this respect, it does not qualify.

World of Tanks has an incredibly toxic, immature community, but i absolutely love the actual game...and play with a helpful, friendly clan...see the pattern?

as for the original question, i don't find it productive to hate a game because of the actions of others...not worth the space in my head.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Quirhid

How 'bout you guys?

Then you hate without reason.

It's one thing to hate fans of a game for being wrong.

It's another just to hate them despite having no knowledge of the game you're hating.

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88

I hate the game because of it's simplicity and need to make cash and no respond to actual players opinions, rather who wants a new 25$ mount, or who wants to buy 100x Essense of Max Power and 100x fail safe upgrades. And who wants to ride the themepark chain of lacking boring and tedious tasks.

Because this draws in one of two types of people, Stupid people, and rich and stupid people.

Both people are not that fun to play with.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Pre-release I thought the depths of the SWTOR fans couldn't be plumbed any lower, then the GW2 fans came to my attention. Both sets pre-disposed me towards hating the game they liked, although I actually tried SWTOR and found it an un-star wars-y, generic and overwhelmingly dull waste of space, I still have not felt any desire to play GW2, entirely due to the behaviour and stinking attitude of its white knights.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Quirhid

How 'bout you guys?

Then you hate without reason.

It's one thing to hate fans of a game for being wrong.

It's another just to hate them despite having no knowledge of the game you're hating.

Oh I have my reasons but its a topic for another thread. But like I said, I haven't played the game, I only hate the fans - the vocal fanbois on these forums. I make no comment on the game.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• DuvandDuvand Member Posts: 33

How 'bout you guys?

I have to both agree and disagree with this post.  DAoC was one of best mmo's at the time with a rich Lore and fantastic community.  It did have a boring grind feel to levelling but the PvP experience is something I have never experienced in another mmo.  Where I have to agree with you is when you got to max level, there was some right old buff bot elitist twats that made me quit the game eventually.

The MMO I hate the most would be a toss up between WOW and GW1 fans, they are rude and lack any kind of community spirit....come back DAoC all is forgiven.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Starpower

I'm sorry I'm not that irrational 

Hating something because a certain group of people likes it, is just that. Irrational not to mention stupid

Have to agree with you here. "Stupid" only begins to describe someone who "hates" a bloody video game, let alone anyone who could be considered a fan. Perhaps it comes down to childish and dramatic language, but I feel this falls into the category of "get a life".

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
      AOC on the PVP server had a lot of idiotic and immature players,  WOW has a lot of very young players who will say anthing, the dumber the better
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I tend not to hate entire MMOs based on a fanbase, but they can have a detrimental effect.  

If I had to pick some somet hough, I'd probably say GW2, Vanguard, and Darkfall.  Again, I don't hate those games, but sometimes, the community makes it difficult for me to get the most enjoyment out of them.

I actually like the community in WoW.  I don't think it's as bad as its reputation dictates, and at least most of them can stomach criticizing their game.  In fact, it's mostly the serious fans that criticize WoW the most.  The fanboy mentality that surrounds alternative MMOs drives me away some times.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

SWTOR

They couldn't see how bad of a game was being made. It was entertaining watching them argue with such passion though.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    I am going to go with a mix of 2 games.  The fan-boys from GW2 and from SWTOR who made these forums here on mmorpg a joke with all the bitter fighting back and forth between the two.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Hating something because a certain group of people likes it, is just that. Irrational not to mention stupid

image image

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Have to agree with you here. "Stupid" only begins to describe someone who "hates" a bloody video game, let alone anyone who could be considered a fan. Perhaps it comes down to childish and dramatic language, but I feel this falls into the category of "get a life".

I really think most of us are using hate in a lighter fashion to what you are thinking, its more about certain fans and players getting up your nose on a consistent basis that we are talking about though some might be taking it a bit further but not me I'm a tolerant soul. image

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Gnome Wankers 2 by far .

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

EVE

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Game: every other MMO except gw2. 

Why? Cause I am a troll... Obviously.

This discussion has been closed.