Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift or TSW

bigdjrbigdjr Member Posts: 40

So I'm contemplting on either Rift or TSW and thought i'd ask for your opinions.

I've played WoW, FFXI, FFXIV nd EVE but out of those y favorite would be FFXI mainly because of the numerous things you could do. I don't ind WoW but I eel as if it gets repetitive very fast. I'm in school now so I can't play hardcore. 

I prefer PvE over anything nd whichever game has the best end game I'dprolly go with that.

Thanks guys

Comments

• OldTimeGamerOldTimeGamer Member Posts: 87

If you felt WoW got repetitive then you probably won't like The Secret World.

It doesn't really offer that much variety and you might find playing it a bit lonely.

However both Rift and TSW both have limited free trials. You can try them both yourself, one after the other.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    They both have free trials you should start with that. I think that TSW might have a better pve experience as far as single player feel. RIft definately has the better end game right now.

• for a sub based game it's Rift > WoW imho.  i enjoy GW2 (B2P) as well, but it's not on your vs list.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    If you want a immersive mmorpg play TSW. If you want pvp play RIFT, until we start getting some TSW pvp updates. TSW pvp is starved for content because of all you can do with the ability wheel. As things stand right now the type of maps are limiting the number of truly effective builds.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Rift without a doubt ...it's a gear grind at the end but getting to the end is fun
  • TyrranosaurTyrranosaur Member UncommonPosts: 284
    I'm going to have to say Rift, but you do have option #3 if you don't mind spending $30 a month and have the time: do both. I enjoy both Rift and TSW (although I need to resub to TSW, let it lapse) and both games are interesting for different reasons, and both innovate in interesting ways. 

Current MMOs: Rift, GW2, Defiance
    Blog: http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com (old school tabletop gaming and more)

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I really like tsw graphics, quest system, setting, ambiance, sound, and music. But the laundry list of rift features beats it hands down.

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    If you like doing more things besides, dungeons and raids then play RIFT if you perfer just doing dungeons and raids play TSW (TWS doesn't have many raids yet). RIFT has 4, 20-man raids and , I think 4 ,10-man raids. and like 10+ dungeons, so RIFT offers alot of dungeons and raids as well. plus a lot of other content 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

With regard t o Rift. I'd say wait a bit. In one month Rift will be releasing an expansion. As you know these tend to change a lot about the games.

You can read up on Stom Leagion now and if that appeals to you then go for it. Otherwise, You have a month to accumulate all the info about it before its release. Otherwise, play TSW for a month then decide then. 

I am a fan of Rift, but I am taking a break waiting on the expansion. I'm playing MoP for now. I'll play Rift if I like what I see in their expansion. But lately, I take nothing for granted. As much as I like Rift now, I am very much aware of how easily they could blow it. Or, who knows. Maybe Storm Legion could be Rift's "Burning Crusade"

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Cannot give you a good advice here tbh. I've played both and still playing and will be playing TSW. If you don't care much about lore and what your character does in the given world then maybe Rift because it has tons of content for a relatively new game. Still, Rift lore is pure garbage imho and TSW has everything shining in that particular department. Also, I think that TSW dungeons are the best. Still, it's all very subjective and I just cannot say that one game is better than another.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Dungeon wise
    Rift for quantity
    Tsw for quality
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Dungeon wise
    Rift for quantity
    Tsw for quality

Spot on I'd say.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Both games have bad pvp, even worse than wow, though probably beats swtor, just.
  • spitfire1064spitfire1064 Member Posts: 61
    Rift...Snore!!!  The Secret world all the way.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Definitely check out the free trials.  TSW is modern day conspiracy/horror with puzzles and investigation missions -- quests tend to be a bit more difficult than, say WoW (opinions vary on this).  Rift of course more traditional fantasy but probably has more content at this stage.  Let us know what you decide!   :)
  • BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52

I gotta say RIFT with an expansion, class changes, questing changes comming.

TSW was i game it really hoped would be my mmo home for the next couple of year. But found it to be a big disapointment. 

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    The first 2 weeks of TSW is fun, but you get past the initial buzz I to chafe at it's limitations and stiff combat, it's also a bit raw in places. Rift is a bit more stereotypical and it's a little more boring at the lower levels to be honest, plus it lacks the atmosphere that the Secret World has. But it truly shines at the endgame when the world begins to truly open up. Plus it's a lot more polished and with a new expansion round the corner it's a good time to start a new toon.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by OldTimeGamer

It doesn't really offer that much variety and you might find playing it a bit lonely.

However both Rift and TSW both have limited free trials. You can try them both yourself, one after the other.

Disagree.  If your tired of WoW, TSW is the better game, it has a great leveling up experience and the questing is second to none IMO.  If your not tired of WoW, then why leave it for a clone that does everything worse?

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Originally posted by Kuppa
    They both have free trials you should start with that. I think that TSW might have a better pve experience as far as single player feel. RIft definately has the better end game right now.

I haven't played Rift but Kuppa's post sounds right. TSW is great for solo gameplay but its current endgame is limited to Nightmare mode dungeons and PvP. PvE content is awesome though.

Do the trials and see for yourself.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

TSW.

I played both and TSW left a much better impression on me.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    If you play games for the overall gameplay, go with Rift.  If you like story and searching on Google, play TSW.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by bigdjr

So I'm contemplting on either Rift or TSW and thought i'd ask for your opinions.

I've played WoW, FFXI, FFXIV nd EVE but out of those y favorite would be FFXI mainly because of the numerous things you could do. I don't ind WoW but I eel as if it gets repetitive very fast. I'm in school now so I can't play hardcore. 

I prefer PvE over anything nd whichever game has the best end game I'dprolly go with that.

Thanks guys

Why not try GW2?  If your not into gear progression, which correct me if I'm wrong, the same was true for FFXI then it offers TONS of proverbial content.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Thanks guys

Why not try GW2?  If your not into gear progression, which correct me if I'm wrong, the same was true for FFXI then it offers TONS of proverbial content.

GW2 is tolerable as a side game but that's it. Also this thread is about Rift OR TSW so please stop putting GW2 into it.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Thanks guys

Rift is your best bet, its a lot better done and has a great deal more content to enjoy. TSW has decent story but thats about it, it lacks the polish and content to be a real contender between the two. Neither are my cup of tea but the better of the two hands down is Rift. 

• OldTimeGamerOldTimeGamer Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by OldTimeGamer

Disagree.  If your tired of WoW, TSW is the better game, it has a great leveling up experience and the questing is second to none IMO.  If your not tired of WoW, then why leave it for a clone that does everything worse?

Your assessment of The Secret World clearly differs from mine on every account.

This is probably why you're a fan and why I wouldn't even play it for free.