Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I found this horse...

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Mounts in every MMORPG simply suck.

On average, a good mount will only run at 10-25% beyond basic run speed. There are epic mounts that can be found that are faster, but are ultimately still slow and dumpy.

The speeder-bikes in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi were extremely chaotic and adrena-pumping. The speeder-bikes in SWG and SWTOR are slow and work like virtual sleeping pills.

Why is this? It's because of the world sizes. We need GIGANTIC WORLDS that use Vanguard's chunking method. We need fast moving mounts. We need something new........................

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

On average, a good mount will only run at 10-25% beyond basic run speed. There are epic mounts that can be found that are faster, but are ultimately still slow and dumpy.

The speeder-bikes in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi were extremely chaotic and adrena-pumping. The speeder-bikes in SWG and SWTOR are slow and work like virtual sleeping pills.

Why is this? It's because of the world sizes. We need GIGANTIC WORLDS that use Vanguard's chunking method. We need fast moving mounts. We need something new........................

Yes we need ultra fast mounts in Vanguard's chunks so that way we'll have to pause every 20 seconds while it's lagging because of chunking.

Also, EVE has pretty quick mounts - so fast you could travel from the Earth to the Sun over a dozen times in one second :P

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Why not just be able to teleport to anywhere you want to get to, if getting from A to B as fast as possible is the goal.

If anything mounts ruined a great aspect of travel in MMOs

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

It's because almost all MMOs these days have tiny zones and very fast mounts would make them seem even smaller.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

We? At least have the sand to speak for yourself. When someone tries to incorporate "we" in a rant, its usually because its too weak to stand in solidarity.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

Yes we need ultra fast mounts in Vanguard's chunks so that way we'll have to pause every 20 seconds while it's lagging because of chunking.

Also, EVE has pretty quick mounts - so fast you could travel from the Earth to the Sun over a dozen times in one second :P

APB did a fantastic job with their cars and trucks (very fast). Their map-size would do as individual chunks... without having to chunk every 20 seconds.

The problem is that most developers keep using the same limited engines.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    A horse is a horse, of course, of course,
    and I cannot ride on a horse, of course,
    unless, of course, in all due course,
    I become exalted!

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

APB did a fantastic job with their cars and trucks (very fast). Their map-size would do as individual chunks... without having to chunk every 20 seconds.

APD did a fantastic job with their cars and trucks?  Have you played the game?  It was some of the worst mechanics for driving in any game I've played.  It often made little sense in terms of physics, and was a massive source of frustration.

But yeah, more games like that I guess?  heh

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    but it was dead and then you beat it?

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

APD did a fantastic job with their cars and trucks?  Have you played the game?  It was some of the worst mechanics for driving in any game I've played.  It often made little sense in terms of physics, and was a massive source of frustration.

But yeah, more games like that I guess?  heh

The original company had sold the game to some other entity. The new entity fixed it. It plays great. This is what I experienced.

Yes. More games like that. Less games like WoW.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Speak for yourself, i chunk in 2 secs, SSD is your friend. Up until they nerf the drums i could reach 520% run speed on my bard with drum of seperation and shammy speed buff plus wood elf racial and nice vitality.

I remember when curse of the vampire was in the game i could really reach supersonic speeds, nothing in the game could move faster than my bard.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

It's actualy not just zone sizes...it probably has alot more to do with render distances and frequency of client/server updates.

Essentialy the faster something is moving the more frequent a game needs to do updates between the client (e.g. your computer) and the server the game runs on in order to keep the game in-synch (meaning the server responds to your movement commands and informs other clients in the area of how you moved) when it falls behind in this is when you see rubber-banding effects or objects jump from one point in the game world to another. This makes the game FAR more sensitive to network latency issues...and also uses up FAR more resources on both the client and server (more frequent communications = more frequent data processing not to mention higher bandwidth).

The other issue is render distance. In essence,  your client needs to know where an object is and what it looks like AHEAD of the time it gets drawn on your screen so that it can make it appear for you once it enters maximum view range. The most efficient way to do this is to calculate the maximum speed something in the game something could move and have the server inform your client of all objects some distance slightly beyond what it would take them to reach your maximum visual range if they decided to move toward you at that maximum speed. Thus if you had objects that moved significantly faster, that render distance would have to be MUCH greater. That means that you are passing ALOT more data between the server and the client on each update and your eating up alot more RAM on the client to keep all those objects in memory. If it didn't do that and someone were moving toward you on a speeder bike, you wouldn't actualy see them drawn on your game screen until they were already past you.

Frankly, I think that has alot more to do with object speed in MMO's  then zone size.

Originally posted by Rimmersman

Speak for yourself, i chunk in 2 secs, SSD is your friend.

You're right, SSD is my friend.  Well, they both are since I have two in RAID 0.  Doesn't make chunking any less annoying, or the world any less seam filled.  You can see on the map the seams in the giant grid lines.