Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Rift: Surpassing Azeroth

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Good luck with that, I guess?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Comparing two similar and mundane games does little to help those wanting much more out of their mmorpg. Trion could have been a great company with an original product instead of a great company with an intentional mmo clone.

You stay sassy!

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Comparing two similar and mundane games does little to help those wanting much more out of their mmorpg. Trion could have been a great company with an original product instead of a great company with an intentional mmo clone.

WoW is a clone, being 41 years old I would have figured you could see that.  Also WoW is such a clone that tons of NPC's are real world people with reversed names, i.e. Harris Pilton. 

How's that for original?

Wish I had $1 for everytime someone eludes to WoW being original and all other MMO's a clone.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Comments like these make me laugh because you must be intentionally turning a blind eye. Even if you hate rift, you cant dent that trion has no fear changing and adding to their game. They have added not just content patches and tweaks to existing features, but entirely new systems and ways to play.

Its one of the main reasons i support trion with my rift sub. It is exciting to play an mmo that is constantly adding new features. I always feel like if theres something missing from the game that we would like to see, the devs hear us and are working on ways to implement it.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    now why did you have to post what it does better than wow? Far as I see it if any mmo that comes after wow, that can't surpass it on some fronts is a failure..

Heck wow wasn't perfect at launch, and while some has a nostalgia feeling of those past times, can u say wow itself hasn't gotten better than vanilla days on more aspect than not.. I dare anyone to play vanilla wow without todays improvements and see how grindy it is...

Now back to topic, I see np problem in the rift guys taking a page from wow and making it better plus making improvements to there own style, its called progression..

So for the love of mmo please stop saying what this game does better than past efforts.. How about saying how's it trying to move the genre forward.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Year sub with Storm Legion included.. purchased. That's less than £3 a month when you subtract the expansion cost. I'm ready for it.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

WoW is a clone, being 41 years old I would have figured you could see that.  Also WoW is such a clone that tons of NPC's are real world people with reversed names, i.e. Harris Pilton. 

How's that for original?

Wish I had $1 for everytime someone eludes to WoW being original and all other MMO's a clone.

i haven't played wow in many many years but wow did streamline the themepark MMO making it the first easily accessible(for everyone) MMO to hit the market. So to me it started the era of the more "accessible to everyone" themepark MMOs which is good and bad depending on who you talk to.. but to say wow wasn't original in anything is really obsurd

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I tried rift twice and though it was not a terrible game it just did not stand out for me, yes it had public quests and you could switch skills but those have been in other mmo's.  Games that have stood out for me are TSW and SWTOR with its voice overs and superior production values and story lines,  WOW and Lotro with its play it on any machine performance and wow with its attraction to young people and Lotro with its great lore and story line.  Eve with its pure sand box play, Vanguard with its 5 sphere philosophy, Fallen Earth with its Crafting, SWG with its inovative harvesting and crafting along with its open world.  These are some of the games that stand out and say "play me"
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

How's that for original?

i haven't played wow in many many years but wow did streamline the themepark MMO making it the first easily accessible(for everyone) MMO to hit the market. So to me it started the era of the more "accessible to everyone" themepark MMOs which is good and bad depending on who you talk to.. but to say wow wasn't original in anything is really obsurd

Guess you missed Everquest which launched 6 years before WoW.

Which goes back to what I posted before in this thread:  Right place right time.

How's that for original?

because wow is a carbon copy of EQ.. please... it does borrow many features from it but as do most games of a similar genre as the years go by

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

How's that for original?

because wow is a carbon copy of EQ.. please... it does borrow many features from it but as do most games of a similar genre as the years go by

Funny double standard logic you have there.

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    Trion devs > Blizzard devs. This secet was outted a long time ago wasn't it? Blizzard has been lazy for years now and the players just accept it like mindless sheep. Truely baffles me.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I play both Rift and WoW, and I like the both.  I have to agree though, in the short time of Telara's exsistance, Trion has done alot more in the same time Azeroth's been around.  I sometimes feel sorry for Rift's developers.  I picture them in a run-down warehouse with out air conditioning, and having to work 80 hour weeks for 10 cents an hour (I know it's the total opposite).  With the amount of content they put out, it's either this, or all game developer's before Trion were lazy and worked 10 hours a week on content by 1 person lol.  If you like Rift or not, noone can deny that Trion does alot of work.  More than any other developer I've ever seen.

How's that for original?

how so? any game in history borrows something from games before of the same genre.. if not they wouldn't even be considered the same genre at all.. tell me how you could make a themepark MMO and not use some feature present from say EQ.......... So in EVE since I can gain new skills, gather resources, and kill other players it must be a clone because it's all been done before. This is basically like saying all FPS games are nothing more than DOOM clones because the core gameplay is similar.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

How's that for original?

EDIT: Nevermind, I skimmed and posted too quickly.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

"Certainly WoW might have more personality in its IP.  I can’t deny that."

This is absolutely huge though.  The fact that many, many people feel Rift and Telara are generic and bland is precisely a major factor in why Rift has terrible retention.  This piece matters so much and sadly Im not sure if Trion has addressed this yet.

"But what I see from my game pundit’s chair is that Trion is making leaps and bounds while Blizzard is content resting on their laurels. "

Are they really though?  Because I don't see this, at all.  I see the addition of scenarios and challenge modes as ways to play the game differently.  I see them taking some effort into making the gamer more personal with sunsong ranch.  

The pet battle system is like adding a whole game on top of a game.  

And they significantly expanded the daily sytem where there is more variety than ever and its really designed so that you work on a factior or two for a couple of weeks, and then move on and work on another faction or two (although some people feel the need to do everything, everyday, thats not the way the system was designed).  You arent working the same set of dailies the whole expansion, and there is a TON of different possible dailies on top of that.  In addition, you can get dungeon currency for these, as well as scenarios which mirrors Rift's philosophy.

Oh and they made exploration much more rewarding, with lore scrolls, nameds that are actually tougher than regular mobs with unique drop tables with fun loot, and just random fun things to find or perhaps something to sell for 100g.

On top of that, 5.1 is already on the way, and they are already making adjustments in it and also expanding on the popular elements of the expansion.  There is obviously pre planned stff, like the alliance/horde conflict coming to Krasarang, but ther eis very obviously a ton of dynamic updating going on too, based on feedback.

Im not saying MoP is a more impressive Expansion pack than Storm Legion, SL does seem to be as good as any expac since EQ2's prime and as big as any since EQ's prime, but to say Blizzard is resting on their laurels is just asinine.  They have been since halfway through WOTLK, but its pretty clear that they arent anymore.  

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I use to enjoy WoW a lot mind you, but lets face the facts, WoW NEVER was the leader in anything except numbers. The reason it had so many 'good' elements was because it took those elements from other games. Rift stands as basically a new game in the WoW or EQ style. This ends up really making it stick out with the fact that WoW isn't revolutionary, its just a game that takes from others and makes its own.

WoW never was a 'leader' in introducing new things, and the fact theres new direct compeition , it only helps emphasize this point as Rift continues to add new options and features (Which we can also admit aren't ALL original, though they do a lot for those that aren't new to make it fit a good deal) and WoW is slowly hoping to take those features up to grab more though lets face it, they have just been dragging their own game down hill.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Loved Rift for 5 months but one thing ruined it for me... Most of you will say it's a "stupid reason" but it was gamebreaking for me.  I never looked back.

I couldn't stand the Macro system.  You could design a macro that incorporated 6 abilities in one, based on a priority / timer system.  As DPS or Tank, you could spam 5-6 macros that combined many abilities without any consequences.

Most of you would say, "you don't have to do that," but the efficiency in doing so is unmistakable.  Trying getting owned in pvp without using the macros or doing pve content without doing that.

It just really killed an otherwise awesome game.  I'm a huge Hartman fan... i hope this game does really well even if i'm not going to be playing (Gw2 and FFXIV) will be my MMOS.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Though I go up and down in my zeal for Rift I stay subbed because Trion is the best company in the MMO genre for listening to their players and doing what they ask. Yes we don't get everything but that is probably just as well! I do like the way that Rift is moving in a sandpark direction. I do still play wow but the talent changes are a deal breaker for me. It is painful to go from the almost unlimited soul choices in Rift to the 18 talent choices in WOW. Anyway, I wish Trion the best of luck and am going to renew my one year sub next month.
    Originally posted by tordurbar
    Though I go up and down in my zeal for Rift I stay subbed because Trion is the best company in the MMO genre for listening to their players and doing what they ask. Yes we don't get everything but that is probably just as well! I do like the way that Rift is moving in a sandpark direction. I do still play wow but the talent changes are a deal breaker for me. It is painful to go from the almost unlimited soul choices in Rift to the 18 talent choices in WOW. Anyway, I wish Trion the best of luck and am going to renew my one year sub next month.

seen this said a couple times.. what are the sandboxy features they are adding for the expansion? 

Originally posted by Purutzil

I use to enjoy WoW a lot mind you, but lets face the facts, WoW NEVER was the leader in anything except numbers. 

WoW still is the leader in:

Combat fluidity

Presentation

probably the leader in game peformance too.

seen this said a couple times.. what are the sandboxy features they are adding for the expansion? 

EQ2 style housing?

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    @JudgeUK u right rift does need flying mounts as big as rift is.
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

EQ2 style housing?

hows instanced housing sandboxy? i mean i think it's a great feature but it's still all instanced.. guess you could make an argument for it but if that's all then i wouldn't consider this game leaning sandpark at all..

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249