Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Single player game suggestion

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I have been looking for a good RPG to play.  I have played Skyrim so please do not suggest that.

I am looking for a game with deep character customization.  I don't care if it has classes, I am not looking for an action RPG.  I did play Legend of Grimlock all ready too and thought it was loacking a bit in the character customization.  I have the witcher 2 still unplayed, but am looking for a non-action deep character custimization game.  The combat can be turn based. The story does not have to be great.

This can be available on any platform.  I have already played lost odyssey (decent game) and FF13 (to streamlined). 

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

It might be more actiony than you're looking for, but Dark Souls.

The PC port of it is pretty bad, especially whenit comes to controls, graphical,and  FPS issues, but there are also mods out for it to fix those. The console version is better, or after modding the PC version, its a pretty awesome game.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

It might be more actiony than you're looking for, but Dark Souls.

The PC port of it is pretty bad, especially whenit comes to controls, graphical,and  FPS issues, but there are also mods out for it to fix those. The console version is better, or after modding the PC version, its a pretty awesome game.

Dark Souls is a great game but one must go into it expecting to die a lot and not minding. It's a very brutal game.

But a lot of fun if one has patience and can get over the fact that you can die a lot and lose all of your souls (which, to the op, is the currency of the game).

I would love to suggest X-Com, which is not a rpg, but it has a lot that the player must balance. Many decisions and in some cases some tough decisions. Balancing building the base, leveling up your squad and deciding which gear they should have, research, and of course a turn based tactical combat system.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

Not interested in dark souls right now. 

I am looking for a game that has the old school turn based combat and deep character customization and that I have not played.  I know there is not much out there like that anymore.  This type of meta gaming is on its way out. 

Every once in awhile I like playing these types of games again. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well I would give Witcher 2 a go if you haven't yet played it. It's more in style of Biowares rpgs than bethsedas but its a good rpg non the less.

Shame you don't want action rpg as Torchlight 2 is excellent.

So I would Reccomend to you - Faster Than Light. It ticks most of your boxes.

Another would be terraria if you haven't played it - that has rpg elements like gearing up and boss fights but its also a hybrid of old school platform games and like a 2d minecraft.

3 games above combined cost less than a "normal" game and have given me hours and hours and hours of fun, tremendous value for money.

You might also want to look at roguelikes like dungeons of dredmoor.

Also there's a bunch of maps and mods for grimrock up on steamworks.

Also there's a bunch of maps and mods for grimrock up on steamworks.

Grimlock was fun at first, but the character customization was kind of bland.  I liked the game for what it was, but I cannot see myself playing it again, or mods of it.

You might also want to look at roguelikes like dungeons of dredmoor.

I have this game on my steam account.  I may give this a shot soon.

--John Ruskin

Try FTL first, it really ticks a lot of your boxes. Turn based rpg, sandboxy etc..
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Try FTL first, it really ticks a lot of your boxes. Turn based rpg, sandboxy etc..

Is there any customization in that game.  I got the feeling it was all pretty much highly ramdomized drops.  I have not played, I just read about it. 

--John Ruskin

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

All TES are classics. I suggest the other TES games just as much as Skyrim. The mods that you can get for them make them truly as epic. Arena and Daggerfall perhaps to far back for your liking, I suggest Morrowind and Oblivion if you haven't tried them.

Planet Elder Scrolls

Nexus Mods

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

No its very random
    But that's kinda the apeal for repeated play through.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Amjoco

All TES are classics. I suggest the other TES games just as much as Skyrim. The mods that you can get for them make them truly as epic. Arena and Daggerfall perhaps to far back for your liking, I suggest Morrowind and Oblivion if you haven't tried them.

Planet Elder Scrolls

Nexus Mods

Try Morrowind with Morrowind Overhaul 3.0..

http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/

Pure awesomeness!!!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Planet Elder Scrolls

Nexus Mods

Try Morrowind with Morrowind Overhaul 3.0..

http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/

Pure awesomeness!!!

Now I want to play. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• You could check out XCOM. It's not really an RPG, but your soldiers gain promotions, which is like leveling up, boosting their stats and allowing them to pick different perks. Soldiers also have different classes and like some RPGs has tactical turn-based gameplay. It's a bit like Gears of War meets AD&D Gold Box.

The character development isn't as deep as some tabletop RPGs, but it's just one of many features in the game.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

TES Games

The Witcher 2 

Originally posted by Axxar

You could check out XCOM. It's not really an RPG, but your soldiers gain promotions, which is like leveling up, boosting their stats and allowing them to pick different perks. Soldiers also have different classes and like some RPGs has tactical turn-based gameplay. It's a bit like Gears of War meets AD&D Gold Box.

The character development isn't as deep as some tabletop RPGs, but it's just one of many features in the game.

I loved the Gold Box Series. Anyone know of any Single Player Games like it that are new?

edit: I should add that are fantasy based.

• Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir is kind of like the Gold Box games. Unfortunately I find the combat annoying because of the pseudo-real time pausing mechanic and cumbersome camera control. But it's kind of a cute attempt at being old school.

If only they'd made it turn-based and given the player a proper camera.

Originally posted by Axxar

Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir is kind of like the Gold Box games. Unfortunately I find the combat annoying because of the pseudo-real time pausing mechanic and cumbersome camera control. But it's kind of a cute attempt at being old school.

If only they'd made it turn-based and given the player a proper camera.

I played some NWN2 but didn't know of SoZ. I will look into it! ty

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

TwoWorlds2? not turn-based though

Have you played through the Kotor series?

You probebly have played them and are looking for newely released turn based rpg's, sorry I come up empty for now.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    [mod edit]

But while its not a RPG, I have been having a blast with XCOM.

P.S. Don't play Ironman if you ever have any urges to destroy keyboards or scream at your computer at 2 am. The game sometimes feels like it wants to troll you.

• NixeorNixeor Member Posts: 11

I love customization too. I'm currently waiting for a game called The Origins of Malu.

The whole game markets the idea of "world control". An article from PAX Prime decribes the game mechanics to contain faction and housing customization. I havn't seen any good videos, but the website has some awesome concepts of an alien building a house brick-by-brick. Pretty awesome customization if you ask me.

The website also talks about controling and customizing the land controled by the various factions. The more you control the more you can customize! If that's true then I'm sold.

I set this up ( Morroblivion) just today and it works!  I haven't gotten very far into the game itself yet, but if you loved Morrowind, but the graphics and combat were a little less than you like, then give this a try.

It is awesome to start out the game in the little village of Seyda Neen but with the improved graphics that Oblivion has.

Note; there is also a placeholder for Skywind!  Hopefull they have that finished soon!

Another awesome Oblivion mod is Nehrim, a complete redo of the game itself. 

I haven't played but a couple hours but it starts out super old school as you try to escape from a mine full of  trollss, traps, and puzzles.

Only kinda problem is all the voice acting is German with English subtitles. It is fairly cool though because it lends some mystery to the game. 

They re-did a lot of the game including how you level and spend points on skills.

If you own the full Oblivion and Shivering Isles game, it is a very simple mod to install. It has it's own executable file that installs itself and took no more than 10 minutes.

The mod is very professional and seems like a complete seperate game from Oblivion.

If you are still looking for a single player game, I highly recommend this!

edit: bad link

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    you could try heroes 5 or 6, turn based combat with rpg elements especially in 6.   If you want to play the Greatest RPG of all time and do not have to depend on combat than play Planescape Torment-terrific dialog and many ways to advance