Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guan Yu OP?

CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

So yeah! Do you guys think he is OP or not?

I think hes a tad too strong but only because he can heal people so very fast o.o

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• Iced0verIced0ver Member Posts: 49

I would say he is a bit overpowered, so a nerf is inevitable, however, his abilities require you to be very close. So it even's out slightly that way, and lastly, his passive isn't horrible per say, but when it comes to fighting another god it really doesn't help (unless you are fighting them by a tower). I did notice that the passive does work by a tower that has been destroyed.'

I have nearly all the gods, and although I haven't played all of them, Guan is my favorite. Overpowered or not. I'll still play him even after the nerf. Hopefully that will be a little easier haha. Right now it's a race to click on Guan first when you enter the match lobby.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

He is overpowered and also turned my favorite historical person into a leprechaun.

1. For some reason the God of war needs to have an Ability that makes him able to run away. He should stand firm not turn his tail! Guan Yu was not known for speed the only speedy things he ever did was on his legendary horse "Red Hare" , So unless they make him ride a horse when he does that charge it doesn't make sense.

2. His beard was epic long and silky. Its currently too short. it should be down to his crotch. He didn't get lord magnificent beard for some scrawny little thing!

3. The weapon he uses is called a guan dao. This is a weapon that is based around slashing attacks not stabbing like his one attack thats sounds like bongo drums being played.  SERIOUSLY BONGO DRUMS!

4. Guan yu was a man of honor and righeousness so to show that he would probably stand up straight? Not be hunchled over.

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

Originally posted by Xirik

He is overpowered and also turned my favorite historical person into a leprechaun.

1. For some reason the God of war needs to have an Ability that makes him able to run away. He should stand firm not turn his tail! Guan Yu was not known for speed the only speedy things he ever did was on his legendary horse "Red Hare" , So unless they make him ride a horse when he does that charge it doesn't make sense.

2. His beard was epic long and silky. Its currently too short. it should be down to his crotch. He didn't get lord magnificent beard for some scrawny little thing!

3. The weapon he uses is called a guan dao. This is a weapon that is based around slashing attacks not stabbing like his one attack thats sounds like bongo drums being played.  SERIOUSLY BONGO DRUMS!

4. Guan yu was a man of honor and righeousness so to show that he would probably stand up straight? Not be hunchled over.

You read into it way too much. Just calm down haha. For starters, he does not run away. It's a finishing skill when THEY are running away, and if you are using it to escape, well kudos; you are strategic. It's not the best escape anyways since it's short, but I've used it on a few occasions.

I think running around with a super long beard wouuld just get in the way of the animations. Look kinda funny, but I guess we do have growing babies, and monkies running around.

He's swinging his "guan dao" around super fast. The animation is just  way of showing attack. Do you not see it spinning?

Have you ever swung anything, let alone a big a big weapon? "Hunched over" although not the proper term is a ready stance to swing and parry. Try swinging or punching standing straight up, you aren't going to get much momentum.

Not to sound rude, but you either know nothing about fighting, or haven't played this character at all.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by Iced0ver

You read into it way too much. Just calm down haha. For starters, he does not run away. It's a finishing skill when THEY are running away, and if you are using it to escape, well kudos; you are strategic. It's not the best escape anyways since it's short, but I've used it on a few occasions.

I think running around with a super long beard wouuld just get in the way of the animations. Look kinda funny, but I guess we do have growing babies, and monkies running around.

He's swinging his "guan dao" around super fast. The animation is just  way of showing attack. Do you not see it spinning?

Have you ever swung anything, let alone a big a big weapon? "Hunched over" although not the proper term is a ready stance to swing and parry. Try swinging or punching standing straight up, you aren't going to get much momentum.

Not to sound rude, but you either know nothing about fighting, or haven't played this character at all.

You don't know how to read but I come to expect that. You didn't counter any of what I said at all you just insulted me.

http://youtu.be/Tr8S3Ko6xjA?t=3m52s

Here we donnie yen a master of weapons in the movie "The Lost Bladesmen"  Throughout the whole scene I don't see him hunched over. Just having his feet planted a part to block and deflect.

In the Dynast warriors series guan yu has a longer beard and it doesn't seem to  "get in the way of animations" as you call it.

Try searching google images for "guan yu". Tell me how many statues and artworks have him hunched over?

Not to sound rude but I don't think you know anything about fighting or Guan yu mythology.

But thats what you get for being a image

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

You don't know how to read but I come to expect that. You didn't counter any of what I said at all you just insulted me.

Here we donnie yen a master of weapons in the movie "The Lost Bladesmen"  Throughout the whole scene I don't see him hunched over. Just having his feet planted a part to block and deflect.

In the Dynast warriors series guan yu has a longer beard and it doesn't seem to  "get in the way of animations" as you call it.

Try searching google images for "guan yu". Tell me how many statues and artworks have him hunched over?

Not to sound rude but I don't think you know anything about fighting or Guan yu mythology.

But now you are just being rude, and have brought nothing to the debate. You want an awkwardly straight standing character with an overly long beard that has no finishing moves, with no ability to escape. I did counter your agruments. Donnie Yen is an actor, man, one of my favorites actually. That's just a poor argument. Statues aren't a good example because they are just that inanimate figures.

Here is Guan in Smite,

He's not hunched over. He's in the ready position look at his feet. He's standing EXACTLY the same way as Donnie in The Lost Bladesman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr8S3Ko6xjA&feature=youtu.be&t=3m52s

You obviously haven't spent any time with him in SMITE. Come back when you have.

But now you are just being rude, and have brought nothing to the debate. You want an awkwardly straight standing character with an overly long beard(YES!) that has no finishing moves,(Didn't say that. Just didn't like the fact that he does a stabby spear attack that sounds like bongo drums)  with no ability to escape.(I said that the running away ability doesn't suit his character. He is a person who rather die then lose his honor and retreat I did counter your agruments.(No you didn't) Donnie Yen is an actor, man, one of my favorites actually.( From wiki is a Hong Kong actor, martial artist, film director and producer, action choreographer, and world wushu tournament medalist. Holy cow people can do multiple things!)That's just a poor argument. Statues aren't a good example because they are just that inanimate figures.( Artist design the gods them make after famous statues and pieces of art.  If you think zeus Sorbek rah and anubis art didn't affect how they were designed then I truly feel sorry for you.

Here is Guan in Smite,

He's not hunched over. He's in the ready position look at his feet. He's standing EXACTLY the same way as Donnie in The Lost Bladesman. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr8S3Ko6xjA&feature=youtu.be&t=3m52s

He is hunched over and when donnie yen is its only for a brief moment.

You obviously haven't spent any time with him in SMITE. Come back when you have.

Did you get dropped on your head as a child?

• marcuson023marcuson023 Member Posts: 2

But now you are just being rude, and have brought nothing to the debate. You want an awkwardly straight standing character with an overly long beard(YES!) that has no finishing moves,(Didn't say that. Just didn't like the fact that he does a stabby spear attack that sounds like bongo drums)  with no ability to escape.(I said that the running away ability doesn't suit his character. He is a person who rather die then lose his honor and retreat I did counter your agruments.(No you didn't) Donnie Yen is an actor, man, one of my favorites actually.( From wiki is a Hong Kong actor, martial artist, film director and producer, action choreographer, and world wushu tournament medalist. Holy cow people can do multiple things!)That's just a poor argument. Statues aren't a good example because they are just that inanimate figures.( Artist design the gods them make after famous statues and pieces of art.  If you think zeus Sorbek rah and anubis art didn't affect how they were designed then I truly feel sorry for you.

Here is Guan in Smite,

He is hunched over and when donnie yen is its only for a brief moment.

Did you get dropped on your head as a child?

I found this hilarious. Randomly came across this thread and actually signed up just to make this comment.

xirik..I have to say you must have no idea about combat or even martial arts, clearly when you watched that clip you attached you must have been high or something because i can't even possibly see a time where he was standing staright while making a forward strike. and as for the animation... if you look closely enough guan yu is leaning forward to maximize range for contact. hunching over indicates your body is bent. in his god profile image, perhaps it seems like he's bent but thats because of the shaping that your body gets when your trapezius muscle becomes enlarged and it gives an iamge of the head leaning forward.

as for his abilities, it actually represents guan yu quite well.. self sustaining tank who's able to deal considerable damage and stay in the fight. He's a magic off tank, other words he's meant to take damage and keep healing himself. His dash ability is mainly used to get in close to the enemy quickly and then use his speed spear ability. It's only really tactics that forces you to use the dash as an escape method. Furthermore, if we were to replicate you idea of guan yu being courageous and "stand firm", you telling me he should be unkillable ? ..... or atleast in that sense in 5v1 would any player be retarded and be like "im guan yu - im going to stand firm against all odds" = I wonder what your game score would be like at the end of the game ?

For your comment about zeus. you must be an even bigger retard, Artist's don't only look at statues and art, they also read about them and understand their character/mythology. if guan yu fought standing straight then he'd be a very poor martial artist due to the minimal range he would achieve instead of tilting his body to adapt to the situation at hand IE DODGING.

oh and your litle claim about guan yu preferring slashing over stabbing, dude you contradicted yourself there by showing us a video of guan yu performing a "stabbing" motion to hurt his opponent, this was between 4:00 - 4:20. FAIL.

overall i think your an idiot and need to revise your facts and arguements before you post something online.

rofl... "He's a person who rather die than lose his honor and retreat"

...thats an insane strategy in a tactics game, must work for you a lot man.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

I see a lot of "OP" complaints based on one specific thing.  Yes Guan's ULT is OP...however...just about everything else about his sucks balls.  Yeah he can heal fast when the right items are on, and in a competant team whos working together, guan+other is a serious threat.

90% of the Guans ive run across fail so utterly bad you would think hes gimp.

He does like no damage, other than the ULT, and the ULT is nasty, and his heal is nice....but i wont call a character OP because 2 things work well with a team and nothing works well alone.

I mean he is sort of like cupid with his support ULT and his healing ability, but with none of the damage potential, his heals dont give mana, hes not fast ect.

Hes basically a great fight initiator and great to lane with if hes good with his heal.  Not OP but really good in the right hands in the very specific situations where he is competant along with his team.

• marcuson023marcuson023 Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

I see a lot of "OP" complaints based on one specific thing.  Yes Guan's ULT is OP...however...just about everything else about his sucks balls.  Yeah he can heal fast when the right items are on, and in a competant team whos working together, guan+other is a serious threat.

90% of the Guans ive run across fail so utterly bad you would think hes gimp.

He does like no damage, other than the ULT, and the ULT is nasty, and his heal is nice....but i wont call a character OP because 2 things work well with a team and nothing works well alone.

I mean he is sort of like cupid with his support ULT and his healing ability, but with none of the damage potential, his heals dont give mana, hes not fast ect.

Hes basically a great fight initiator and great to lane with if hes good with his heal.  Not OP but really good in the right hands in the very specific situations where he is competant along with his team.

I'd like to agree that Guan Yu isn't OP but he isn't utterly useless either, I play Guan Yu and he can snowball quite easily. with the right tanky items as well as magic  damage items he cant pretty brutal by himself, i've peronally gone 3v1 with Guan Yu and come out on top. Quick healbursts with and dash makes him a very viable God, not exactly the easiest one but nonetheless useful. Much liek any other god, at the handsof any unskilled player he can gimp a team but he's far from useless. He's supposed to be built as a tanky melee mage with a lot of CC and AoE abilities. the dash magic damage ratio is massive and his heal given the right items can really save a team. Specifically his heal is not meant for big healing chunks but rather constant healing for team sustain, Guan Yu constantly needs the mana regen buff for him to prove useful in a support healing role, while if geared towards damage it would still be usefull but not neccessary. As for his ult, its designed to disrupt and damage rather than pure damage, the ratios are amazing when it comes to bonuses and the CC that comes with it after the 3rd jump isvery useful for chases or dusrupting a teamfight, it can be used both for either initiating or finishing of an entire group as it can easily kill 2-3 squishy gods due to its mobility. As for Guan Yus spear ability also does considerable damage 1v1 and is geared towards that once up close. Overall i'd say Guan Yu is more of a disruptor caster tank designed as a mage killer because of how quickly he can shorten the distance between him and the caster, he's unique in tht fact that he can go toe to toe with caster and easily destory them without any problem and his melee ability is exactly for that

Enough rant - I guess Guan Yu is not op but is a dangerous adition to a team because of his ult, and he can't be called useless either because of it. as a caster i'd personally freak out if i saw aleaping swing guan yu at me because i know that it does hurt, and on the third hit it stuns, then all he'd have to do is dash to me spear and heal if needed.

PS. you dont really need to be good with your heal, jsut get mana regen buff and spam it whenever you can in fights.

Just follow this

Build tanky

Build Magic Damage

Build Magic penetration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hide of Leviathan

+45 Physical Protection +45 Magical Protection +250 Health

+250 Mana

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hide of Nemean Lion

+80 Physical Protection +200 Health Reflects 25% of all basic attacks damage back to the attacker as physical damage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reinforced Boots

+25 Physical Protection +25 Magical Protection +15 HP5 +21% Speed (speed does not stack with other boots).
    Resolve - 30% reduction to all crowd control durations.

Obsidian Shard

+70 Magical Power +45% Magical Penetration None

Void Stone

+50 Magical Power +60 Magical Protection Reduces the Magical Protection of enemies within 55 feet by 30.

Breastplate of Valor

+75 Physical Protection +550 Mana Your ability cooldowns are reduced by 20%

OR Chronos Pendant

+50 Magical Power +25 MP5 Your ability cooldowns are reduced by 20%

That's either

**WITH BREASTPLATE**

+225 Physical Protection
    +160 Magical Protection
    +120 Magical Power
    +45%Magic Penetration // +50 Magic Penetration
    +450HP // +15HP p5 //  +800MANA
    25% Reflect Damage
    30% CC Reduction

OR

**CHRONOS PENDANT**

+150 Physical Protection
    +160 Magical Protection
    +170 Magical Power
    +45% Magic Penetration // +50 Magic Penetration
    +450HP // +15HP p5 // +25MANA p5 // +200MANA
    +25% Reflect Damage
    +30% CC Reduction

I personally lean towards the tankier build as the 800 Mana works better for me but i have used the extra Magical Power if it seems were lacking in damage and we have a decent tank already. Ive gotten quadras with this build plenty of times jsutb ecasue of the amount of magic penetration i get and the sheer tanking capability of Guan Yu due to his AoE Heal.

Hope this has shed some light on any Guan Yu users out there... if not let me know and maybe you can teach me a thign or two :D