Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] PlanetSide 2: Esamir Unleashed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, Sony Online Entertainment partnered with MMORPG.com to bring our readers the first ever look at the Esamir map. Today we've got a full preview of the location and some of our thoughts about PlanetSide 2 overall. Read on and then add your voice to the comments!

Have you ever jumped into a TV series halfway through the season, and found that you kind of know what's going and who the major players are, but you've got a lot of catching up to do to understand the nuances of the show?  That's how I feel when playing the PlanetSide 2 beta, having a general sense of what to do and where to go but lacking the hard-fought allegiances and knowledge of gameplay minutiae sported by veterans of the original PlanetSide.  Granted, PS2 is pretty easy to get into for anyone who plays modern FPS games, and the game's main objective - take over and defend locations in the game's persistent world and troll other players while doing so - is pretty straightforward.  Still, the deeper aspects of gameplay, such as tactical squad considerations for attacking a base, best use of vehicles, and small things like the ability to teleport to "hotspot" contested locations for instant action, take some time to get used to.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's PlanetSide 2: Esamir Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PlamgarPlamgar Member Posts: 17
    NC WE DOMINATE ESAMIR !
  • IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    There is a bug with Esamir that shows that NC hold all the map but the TR and VS warpgates...
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    That's a bug??? Link please. I might go back lol. Esamir was fricken awesome that first night it was opened, 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • PlamgarPlamgar Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Ingvar
    There is a bug with Esamir that shows that NC hold all the map but the TR and VS warpgates...

It's not a bug.I have witnesed that we conquer the whole continent region by region.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

That's the 'bug'.

TR and Vanu must ally against the NC to squash this bug!

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• notusernotuser Member Posts: 12

is not a bug.. just nc have all 1 hit weapons so  tr have nothing to do ...

nc is totaly imba y dmg and acuracy

• goatfightgoatfight Member Posts: 7

Thats it... I can't do it anymore. Every article on this website is plauged with enough grammatical errors and/or typos to break the flow of my reading to the point where I just lose interest. I don't want to have to try and decipher poor writing during my breaks at work! Please, please enforce some kind of peer proofreading for these guys. 

/rant

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    hotdrops from a loaded galaxy!
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by goatfight

Thats it... I can't do it anymore. Every article on this website is plauged with enough grammatical errors and/or typos to break the flow of my reading to the point where I just lose interest. I don't want to have to try and decipher poor writing during my breaks at work! Please, please enforce some kind of peer proofreading for these guys. 

/rant

Welcome to the internet.  You might want to go get that Obsessive Compulsive Disorder checked out.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Plamgar

It's not a bug.I have witnesed that we conquer the whole continent region by region.

Because Esamir is way too small... you dont see NC dominating the other continent like that.

Its pathetic that SoE released a continent thats 20% the size of the first...

Before you say im crying... im not I actually play NC US and EU and simply understand how broken the new continent is.

Small ass continent being taken over by one faction that grossly out numbers the VS and TR.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Z3R01
    Originally posted by Plamgar

Because Esamir is way too small... you dont see NC dominating the other continent like that.

Its pathetic that SoE released a continent thats 20% the size of the first...

Before you say im crying... im not I actually play NC US and EU and simply understand how broken the new continent is.

Small ass continent being taken over by one faction that grossly out numbers the VS and TR.

No, same size I think just less hexes.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I couldn't stand Esamir.  Too much fog, way too much.  Sucked to be infantry on a white backdrop, you were sitting ducks for the army of tanks and airships.  Granted, it sucks to be infantry against vehicles period as their countermeasures are either too expensive to get early game or way to slow to wield and or too little damage before you're run over or single shot by a vehicle.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434

NC rocks! I just can't understand something, we could destroy 2 days ago TR but why you can't capture that last base? Is that only for beta and will be that possible after release of the game?

Battles are epic and i can tell you from my war expirience i got that war feeling when we start to advance with huge armada of tanks and air force. Sometimes i like to infiltrate behind enemy lines and snipe but that is to hard on Esamir so i prefer Indar for sniping. It is god to have so big differences btw Indar and Esamir, Indar more for infantry and Esamir for armor. I never liked so much mmofps but this game was like first love. Ambient and graphics are so amazing and i forget sometimes about enemy watching that awesome night sky from Indar.Differences btw factions are great, for example i must reload my sniper after one shot but  NC sniper do much more damge and normaly is headshoot kill but Vanu or TR can shoot more bullets before reloading so it is much easy to kill somebody from close range. Can't wait for third continent :)

amazing infiltrator review from themittani.com-------http://themittani.com/features/planetside-2-class-previews-infiltrator
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

“Granted, PS2 is pretty easy to get into for anyone who plays modern FPS games”

And there lies the problem, the desire to be instantly accessible to solo FPS players. PS2 already seems to have start with everything unlocked, easier base taking and now smaller zones too? I really hope this game has not been debased by the desire to attract the casual crowd, but it is starting to look like that.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Huge spoiler right there at the beginning, you only have 6 classes to choose from, which is a huge WTF moment right there in itself, the game shouldnt have any classes, it didnt have any for PS1, why the hell they should suddenly feel the need to stick such a huge restriction on the players for their new 'version' of planetside just beggars belief. Anyone who has played PS1 is probably wondering if SOE have finally lost the plot completely..  SWG's NGE, meet Planetside.. didnt work for SWG either. Planetside 2 = Epic fail... and a huge let down for people who enjoyed Planetside and were hoping for their game to be revitalised. SOE, what are you thinking ????

Originally posted by Phry

Huge spoiler right there at the beginning, you only have 6 classes to choose from, which is a huge WTF moment right there in itself, the game shouldnt have any classes, it didnt have any for PS1, why the hell they should suddenly feel the need to stick such a huge restriction on the players for their new 'version' of planetside just beggars belief. Anyone who has played PS1 is probably wondering if SOE have finally lost the plot completely..  SWG's NGE, meet Planetside.. didnt work for SWG either. Planetside 2 = Epic fail... and a huge let down for people who enjoyed Planetside and were hoping for their game to be revitalised. SOE, what are you thinking ????

Maybe because it is more realistic to have classes and you have that even in real army. I see that you didn't even try to play PS2. Well you can change your class any time you want and  choose from skills what ever you want and it is not at all restricted. My grandpa used to say-- Do not speak bad about  Lady when you never tried one

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Nealry every FPS multiplayer and MMO has classes, so PS2 had to have classes. I am afraid that is the short sighted thinking that went into that decision.