Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So i bought Guild Wars 2 - Need a server!

dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

Hey all,

So I actually went and bought the game and I'm a European player looking for a server. I know one might ask "pick any!" as one thing I was pleasantly surprised about is there are plenty of high population servers to choose from, but I am looking for THE server to join. The metropolitan jewel that is considered the greatest experience. 

I am talking LOTRO's Brandywine or WoW's Outland and Stormscale (Euro servers), but maybe it is too early for a server to have established itself as such.

Any Euro players out there I would love your opinions!

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Servers transfers were still free, as of a week ago, or so.  I haven't heard of this changing, so you may as well (sorry!) just pick one, for now.

I drifted around multiple servers and they are all more or less the same.  This game's focus is largely the solo experience, and few guilds do much, as there is no real purpose to group, outside of dungeons perhaps.  Chatter and interaction is relatively low, even on full servers.  Dungeons currently are more of an annoyance to many, with little gained that can't be gotten solo.  I'm yet to see any roleplaying happening, but it isn't surprising since there are only a few emotes (too bad nobody can /smile /frown, or /nod etc).

I've seen people previously state that a particular server is better, but after transferring around, I'd say any advice is very superficial and subject only to a players particular experience.  You will have your own experiences.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gunnars hold is a good un
  • buckleypermbuckleyperm Member Posts: 13

Devonas rest has a lot of chatter.

i just spent 4 hrs running through the brisbans wildlands because someone was allways hollering " so and so or such and such is up." i hit almost all the dynamic events through with  medium group of players out side of a group.

but its not a eu server...

• Size-TwelveSize-Twelve Member UncommonPosts: 478

I think you should check out Sanctum of Rall. The backstory on the naming of this server is here (it's named after a player who passed away) http://wildboarinn.net/2012/07/18/my-gw2-home-sanctum-of-rall/

i'm not sure if there is a "the" server yet, but there is a lot of activity there. This game revolves heavily around PvP, so the top WvW server is probably Henge of Denravi, or Stormbluff Isle, but that doesn't always mean they are "metropolitan" so to speak - just really into WvW.

I reccommend Sanctum of Rall mostly because of the guild, Gaiscioch. They are a thousand person guild that runs a lot of PvE events. They have a crafting faire each Sunday, and the the purpose behind the guild is to create a good environment for the whole server. Because it was a Gaiscioch member that this server was named after, they are very committed to making this "the" place to be.

SoR is recruiting players right now to help with the WvW in your timezone.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

If you weren't a EU player I would've also suggested Sanctum of Rall and honor the fallen comrade gamer- I'm on Yak's Bend, not a bad server. Most of the EU servers you connect to are located in Texas anyways so I don't see it being a difference in what region you choose.

They need to disable free transfers soon, WvW is becoming a gank fuckfest.

PS- Size-Twelve, AFAIK 2 major guilds from Yak's already transferred to SoR, gee I wonder why. What server will they pick next week?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    If you want to WvsW I'd suggest not picking Jade Quarry. We've had a que for WvsW from the beginning.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

If you weren't a EU player I would've also suggested Sanctum of Rall and honor the fallen comrade gamer- I'm on Yak's Bend, not a bad server. Most of the EU servers you connect to are located in Texas anyways so I don't see it being a difference in what region you choose.

They need to disable free transfers soon, WvW is becoming a gank fuckfest.

PS- Size-Twelve, AFAIK 2 major guilds from Yak's already transferred to SoR, gee I wonder why. What server will they pick next week?

You can only do it once every 48 hours you know. They keep logs of transfers, etc, so people who bounce back and forth may have issues soon.

Just because a whole guild transfers, doesn't mean it is an issue. They may want to be closer to guilds they were aligned with in GW1.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Mombasa69
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Pretty much.. I spent most of my time on my 80 but, when I go into Queens I still hit overflow during primetime. There is no lack of players. [mod edit]

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Jyiiga
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

Pretty much.. I spent most of my time on my 80 but, when I go into Queens I still hit overflow during primetime. [mod edit]

Pretty sure you're on JQ...and just to exemplify how stupidly over-populated that server is since everyone switched there for WvW...

Currently in Tier 1 WvW(top 3 servers) as I type this RIGHT NOW, Jade Quarry has +655, We have +40(Stormbluff Isle) and Henge of Denravi has +0.

Last week we were in tier 2 WvW against Blackgate and someone else and we looked like Jade Quarry does against us...so...yeah. Basically half the games population is on JQ right now.

Not to mention, 50% of the people you see at lower levels are just bots... yawn, me being on one of the most populated servers that isn't Jade Quarry and we still don't have anyone for WvW besides prime time and the lower levels are mainly bots.

You can only do it once every 48 hours you know. They keep logs of transfers, etc, so people who bounce back and forth may have issues soon.

Just because a whole guild transfers, doesn't mean it is an issue. They may want to be closer to guilds they were aligned with in GW1.

No, it's ruining WvW.

Currently the top 3 servers in NA are battling it out in an INTENSE battle to the death in WvW, it's so close and tight-knit I can barely contain the excitement!!!!!

That's what happens with free transfers, people hop ship.

UPDATE :

It can only get better from here right? Right? I'm wrong arent I...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I play on Seafarers rest. Nice friendly mid population server.

The problem with High pop servers are long waiting time. My guild started out on Far Shiverpeaks, great server but so full that not everyone could make toons on it (that should be fine now) but all high pop servers still have a lot longer waiting time for WvWvW.

But you have a free transfer a day so just try a server and see if it works for you.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

UPDATE :

It can only get better from here right? Right? I'm wrong arent I...

Lol, it will take a few more months before the server pairings truly become fair, right now a few of the servers steamroll some others but it will be better. Someone still have to be best though, but not with that much.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Just go for a mainly English speaking mid rank server like Gunnars hold, gandara or underworld. That way you get in WvW.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    If you're new to GW2, you wont have any problem finding  MOB to kill, as all the servers are empty lol.

RIght...and what server are you on so I can avoid it.

Pretty much.. I spent most of my time on my 80 but, when I go into Queens I still hit overflow during primetime. There is no lack of players. Anyone that says otherwise needs their head examined. 

Pretty sure you're on JQ...and just to exemplify how stupidly over-populated that server is since everyone switched there for WvW...

Currently in Tier 1 WvW(top 3 servers) as I type this RIGHT NOW, Jade Quarry has +655, We have +40(Stormbluff Isle) and Henge of Denravi has +0.

Last week we were in tier 2 WvW against Blackgate and someone else and we looked like Jade Quarry does against us...so...yeah. Basically half the games population is on JQ right now.

Not to mention, 50% of the people you see at lower levels are just bots... yawn, me being on one of the most populated servers that isn't Jade Quarry and we still don't have anyone for WvW besides prime time and the lower levels are mainly bots.

Your wrong about what server I am on. Your argument is invalid. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    If you're new to GW2, you wont have any problem finding  MOB to kill, as all the servers are empty lol.

RIght...and what server are you on so I can avoid it.

Pretty much.. I spent most of my time on my 80 but, when I go into Queens I still hit overflow during primetime. There is no lack of players. Anyone that says otherwise needs their head examined. 

hmm - 50% - I don't think so. You MUST be a fisherman because I think you are stretching the truth alot.

On Gandara, there is a nice population of very hepful players.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

[quote]Originally posted by botrytis

Originally posted by TeknoBug If you weren't a EU player I would've also suggested Sanctum of Rall and honor the fallen comrade gamer- I'm on Yak's Bend, not a bad server. Most of the EU servers you connect to are located in Texas anyways so I don't see it being a difference in what region you choose. They need to disable free transfers soon, WvW is becoming a gank fuckfest. PS- Size-Twelve, AFAIK 2 major guilds from Yak's already transferred to SoR, gee I wonder why. What server will they pick next week?You can only do it once every 48 hours you know. They keep logs of transfers, etc, so people who bounce back and forth may have issues soon.

It's 24 hours. And members of one of those guilds hopped to Blackgate last week and back to Yak's after.

Here's a quote from a discussion on the forums:

As for this match playing out as it is…SoR will now move up a tier or 2 (based on EOL). Competition will be different based on who you face next matchup. With all the guilds leaving the T1 servers for lower tiers, you’ll see the competition even out a bit which is a beautiful thing and makes WvW way more fun in the long run. I intend to play this game for the long run with friends and my guild…

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Size-Twelve

I think you should check out Sanctum of Rall. The backstory on the naming of this server is here (it's named after a player who passed away) http://wildboarinn.net/2012/07/18/my-gw2-home-sanctum-of-rall/

i'm not sure if there is a "the" server yet, but there is a lot of activity there. This game revolves heavily around PvP, so the top WvW server is probably Henge of Denravi, or Stormbluff Isle, but that doesn't always mean they are "metropolitan" so to speak - just really into WvW.

I reccommend Sanctum of Rall mostly because of the guild, Gaiscioch. They are a thousand person guild that runs a lot of PvE events. They have a crafting faire each Sunday, and the the purpose behind the guild is to create a good environment for the whole server. Because it was a Gaiscioch member that this server was named after, they are very committed to making this "the" place to be.

SoR is recruiting players right now to help with the WvW in your timezone.

I am also playing on SoR and I find it to be a very mature and helpful server.