Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMO's of all time

Comments

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159

1) UO: the best MMO ever
    2) DAoC: the best PvP (RvR) ever
    3) EQ: it start MMO market, first MMO over 1M subscribers
    4) FF XI: best oriental MMO
    5) RF Online: best korean/RvRvR MMO (not F2P version)
    6) EVE: best sandbox ever
    7) LOTRO: best RP MMO
    8) SW:G: best SW MMO (original version)
    9) Guild Wars: B2P is a great idea (not played GW2, i'm a retired player)
    10) WoW Vanilla: the easiest MMO to play and the most played all around the world

Cheers.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by uncletoma

1) UO: the best MMO ever ---Best 2d mmo ever
    2) DAoC: the best PvP (RvR) ever----Agree
    3) EQ: it start MMO market, first MMO over 1M subscribers ---EQ never reached one million subs, at it's hight it was around 450.000-500.000
    4) FF XI: best oriental MMO--- Agree
    5) RF Online: best korean/RvRvR MMO (not F2P version)
    6) EVE: best sandbox ever
    7) LOTRO: best RP MMO 
    -----100% Agree, no other MMO comes close to Laurelin European sever for RP.

8) SW:G: best SW MMO (original version) ---Agree

9) Guild Wars: B2P is a great idea (not played GW2, i'm a retired player) ---GW1 far outshines GW2.
    10) WoW Vanilla: the easiest MMO to play and the most played all around the world -----GW2 is far easier than WOW

Cheers.

Good list by the way.

If for you UO is not the best MMO ever, what is the title of the best one?

BTW i don't listed "shot life" MMO.

(LOTRO played on Laurelin EU RP server)

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

For me it's a toss up between EQ and UO but ill say that UO was the best 2d mmo and EQ was my best 3d mmo imo.Like i said EQ never had a million subs, WOW get's the crown for first million subs mmo.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I don't have a top ten, I'll give 5

Anarchy Online (Pre Item Store)

SWG (Pre CU)

WoW (Pre patch 2.3)

CoH (Pre CoV)

Rift (This may or may not be another Pre- Cash Shop caveat)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Icewhite

It's kind of sad that no one is struggling to come up with ten games (or more) to list, isn't it?

(10 games means you average, at maximum, 18 months)

Also means that at least some of the titles you're listing, even in your own eyes, are rather dubious choices for 'best'.

I stand by my list (which is on page 8).  I will add, however, that I always played more than one MMO at a time, sometimes 3 of them. EQ2 and WoW I played side by side for 7 years and there were things I like "the most" about each of them. During that 7 years I also played months (or up to a year or a little longer) of some of the other games I listed. UO was my first MMO, I never played EQ1, and I left out MANY games I played such as City of Heroes, Age of Conan, and the godawful Warhammer and Rift.  edit: and SWTOR...just no.  Personal taste yes.  We all differ along those lines.

Again....I stand by my list and consider none of it "dubious," at least in my own opinion. Those were the 10 best MMOs I've played.

edit: As the post below says, I stuck with the 10 games that gave me the most enjoyment.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    That's why I only listed 6
    There are others I could have filled out to ten with e.g. wow before they hired all those EQ guys and made it a raid grinder, war after they fixed the performance but before bioware took over, tsw before I hit endgame, still struggling for a number 10. But I just went with games that gave me unconditional enjoyment.
  • stuxstux Member Posts: 462

1. Asheron's Call 1 - Best quests, open world, and dungeons (prior to 3rd party software and mass macros took over)

2. Darkfall Online - Best pvp gameplay

3. DAoC - just an over all great game

Maybe not my thing but worth mentioning in no order:

UO - never played it heard good things

SWG - same as above

WoW -  is a legend in it own way and deserve mentioning

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Top 10:

1. Lineage 2   (best pvp game of all time havent seen any game that had bigger mass open pvp battles. Teon 600 vs 600 battle for antharas was the most epic fight i ever head in any mmorpg)

2. DAOC

3. Classic WoW + TBC

4. EQ

5. Shadowbane

6. Phantasy Star Online

7. Final Fantasy XI

8. Lineage 1

9. Guild Wars

10. Ragnarok

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Top Ten

1. DAoC

2. Ultima Online

3. Everquest 

4. AoC

5. Tabula Rasa

6. SWTOR

7. SWG

8. Vanguard

9. Anarchy Online

10. Darkfall

Honorable Mention

Everquest II

APB

Auto Assault

GW2

Rift

Holding out hope

Final Fantasy XIV

Secret World

DarkFall: Unholy Wars

*Edit* Had to come back and add Rift :)

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

1. Everquest 

2. Dark Age of Camelot

3. Shadowbane

4. EvE 

5. Darkfall

6. Asherons Call

7. Age of Conan

Everthing else besides AoC and Darkfall in the WoW and post era, including WoW, GW2, SWTOR, RIFT, Warhammer, all garbage. 

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

1. Shadowbane

2. Vanguard

3. Lotro

4. City of Heroes

5. Matrix online

6. AOC

7. Asherons call 2

8. The Relm

9. SWTOR

10. TSW

Originally posted by Rimmersman

For me it's a toss up between EQ and UO but ill say that UO was the best 2d mmo and EQ was my best 3d mmo imo.Like i said EQ never had a million subs, WOW get's the crown for first million subs mmo.

Ok, according with MMOData the first MMO over 1m players was... Lineage. Make a little confuson with EQ and L1 :)

Image:

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Ok, according with MMOData the first MMO over 1m players was... Lineage. Make a little confuson with EQ and L1 :)

Image:

u know the image is from a site that handle it from 1 man, and always was 1000000 times innacurate

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

My guess would be that Everquest was somewhere around 1 million subscribers at its peak.  I can't find any exact numbers.  Wikipedia has an uncited quote putting them at 450,000 in 2003.  I'm sure it was higher than that though.  I remember them making a big deal out of having 100,000 simultaneous logins for the first time around that period, and I doubt they had nearly 1/4 of their active accounts logged in, so I would assume much higher than 450,000 subscribers at its peak.  They also had something around 80 servers or so when it peaked (don't remember exact number).

I'm sure for pre-WoW MMOs Lineage was in fact bigger than Everquest though just because of its massive Asian population.  In the United States, EQ was unquestionably the largest pre-WoW MMO, however.

As for my list, I'm not sure I've played 10 MMOs that I really enjoyed, but I'll give it a go:

Everquest

WoW

Asheron's Call

Planetside (I'll list this over PS2 since the sequel is not finished)

RIFT

Star Wars: The Old Republic

All other MMOs I've played did not go past the free month, so I will not list any more.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

My top 10:

1. EVE Online
    2. World of Warcraft (vanilla)
    3. Anarchy Online
    4. Fallen Earth
    5. Vanguard
    6. Lord of the Rings Online
    7. The Secret World
    8. Star Wars Galaxies
    9. Asheron's Call
    10. Star Wars: The Old Republic

Special Mentions:

• Saga of Ryzom (refreshingly unique)
    • The Chronicles of Spellborn (unfinished but beautiful)
    • Ultima Online (mostly because it got me into MMOs)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by defector1968

u know the image is from a site that handle it from 1 man, and always was 1000000 times innacurate

Plus, lots of EQ players made it their life's mission (at the time) to be sure that everyone knew Foreign Subs Don't Matter.  So we can safely dismiss Lineage.

Then, in 2006 (roughly), millions of WoW players made it their life's mission to ensure everyone knew that, of course, Foreign Subs Really Matter.

Argument ad numerum, of course, just just kept right on spinning its wheels.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

1. Ultima Online

2. WOW

3. GW2

4. SWTOR

The rest are in no particular order since they all captured me and I played them for long periods of time (but not compared to the first 4):

Darkfall

EVE

Mortal Online

Lineage II

DAOC

SWG 

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88

Asheron's Call.

I don't consider anything else released adequate.

Now an AC slash Wurm, that would be a game worth playing.

• NinelNinel Member UncommonPosts: 40
    1. Final Fantasy XI
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

1. EVE

2. Everquest - My first MMO

3. Rift

4. Everquest 2

5. DAoC

6. Guildwars 2

7. Final Fantasy XI

8. Anarchy Online

9. Asharon's Call

10. World of Warcraft - pre WoTLK

• CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232

1.  Star Wars Galaxies

2.  Dark Age of Camelot

3.  Lord of the Rings Online

4.  EverQuest

5.  EverQuest II

6.  Anarchy Online

7.  Guild Wars 2

8.  Vanguard:  Saga of Heroes

9.  World of Warcraft

10.  Istaria (Horizons)

Originally posted by defector1968

Maybe inaccurate, maybe not, but it's the only one sitre with this kind of data. There's not a site like VGChart for MMO population :( BTW we are a little OT, maybe it's better coming back IT :)

(and i don't like L and L2, so.... where's the problem? :D)

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

WoW was the first good MMO launch, it was praised for being so playable from the get go. Apart from server lag and queues purely because they didn't expect so many people, it was almost perfect compared to other MMOs. Who could blame them for not expecting so many people? MMOs never saw so many people until WoW so you can forgive them for that. What annoys me is when developers say today they didn't expect so many peple......... bullshit have you not seen every other MMO since WoW?

Now though a playable MMO is the norm from launch, people expect to have a perfect AAA MMO + all the content WoW has and why shouldn't they if you're going to make a game like WoW because why not just play WoW instead of a worse version?

GW2 tried to seperate itself from the WoW name as much as possible so they wouldn't be held to the same standard and it paid off for them.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

This is a pretty difficult list to manage or create to include ten titles, but here's my take based on personal enjoyment and the amount of time spent playing:

1) Ultima Online

2) Everquest

3) Shadowbane

4) Darkfall

5) Planetside

6) Star Wars: Galaxies

7) World of Warcraft

8) Lineage 2

9) Age of Conan

10) Matrix Online

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)