Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 a.m. It hit me what bothers me lol

deamiandeamian Member UncommonPosts: 66

actually looking for positive feedback

Letting my shiny new 7 week old puppy out at 3 a.m. back to bed and naturally my mind goes to something calm to go back to sleep. GW2 why not. I havn't been playing much but I have an 80 Ranger and a 38 Warrior and a few little alts. Plenty to absolutely love about the game, it's probably the most beautiful game graphically that has graced my monitor, the combat is fun to a degree, lots of content etc.

Here is what I feel is my bother. I don't feel self pride in my character, I don't care to show off, or prove to anyone else that I've been playing MMO's for 13 years and I feel like I know what im doing, but internally I like feeling that what I'm doing with my character means something a bit more than a transmuted armor piece etc. Joe bob who has played the mmo genre for a week has an elementalist who hits something for 2000 damage, and billy mmo johnson, yes his middle name has actually been changed to mmo, has played for ever, has the exact same character, and hits for the exact same amount because, every stat means something and all of the armor is the same.

Any tips to get out of the giant pot of everyone is exactly the same? I've always felt way more individualized in the other mmo's i've played, except in wow i looked like every other warrior because the artists are lazy :) Again the visual styles etc in gw2 are awesome, but I don't feel I can push my character stat wise i guess

Comments

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

You need to let go of worrying about stats, and concentrate on playing your character to the very maximum of it's potential on an individual level.

GW has never been about stats, you get your max armor/weapons and then it's all cosmetics from there. The progressive aspect is personal advancement and learning to play your character to the absolute fullest in any given situation.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    same boat but add in that every class seems a carbon copy of the class before it aswell.  oooh, an ability that does X, my Y class character has that too....and my new Z class alt just got that last level.......oh crap.
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by deamian

Letting my shiny new 7 week old puppy out at 3 a.m. back to bed and naturally my mind goes to something calm to go back to sleep. GW2 why not. I havn't been playing much but I have an 80 Ranger and a 38 Warrior and a few little alts. Plenty to absolutely love about the game, it's probably the most beautiful game graphically that has graced my monitor, the combat is fun to a degree, lots of content etc.

Here is what I feel is my bother. I don't feel self pride in my character, I don't care to show off, or prove to anyone else that I've been playing MMO's for 13 years and I feel like I know what im doing, but internally I like feeling that what I'm doing with my character means something a bit more than a transmuted armor piece etc. Joe bob who has played the mmo genre for a week has an elementalist who hits something for 2000 damage, and billy mmo johnson, yes his middle name has actually been changed to mmo, has played for ever, has the exact same character, and hits for the exact same amount because, every stat means something and all of the armor is the same.

Any tips to get out of the giant pot of everyone is exactly the same? I've always felt way more individualized in the other mmo's i've played, except in wow i looked like every other warrior because the artists are lazy :) Again the visual styles etc in gw2 are awesome, but I don't feel I can push my character stat wise i guess

themeparks for the most part don't really offer much to make you feel truely unique.. I honstly can't think of a single one that really made me go hey I'm the only person wearing this and doing this just really doesn't happen in these games.. Now where the customization and for me fun is, is playing with builds.. was same in Rift but just playing with all the options and coming up with new sets and combos that work best for your playstyle.. you could strive to get a legendary weapon if you really want to stick out. But overall it's just the nature of these games. What you sound like you want is more of a open sandbox type game where you can be whatever you want and truley make a unique character, themeparks really just aren't going to allow that in most cases.. even in TSW with its skill wheel you are going ot very hard pressed to be truley unique.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

I currently enjoy taking leader roles in PUGs when it's full of lazy ass players that wouldn't move an inch if a giant train came at them. That's mostly how I distinguish myself from other players these days. Simply by being able to do things they can't. Who cares for damage if you die three seconds into the fight?

It's kind of fun going "What are you complaining about? I didn't get downed once." after a boss fight.

Just try to find something to push your own limits. You seem like someone capable enough of some self-reflection.

tl;dr:

Try distinguishing yourself not by gear, but by personality and skill. ;)

Originally posted by blackthornn
    same boat but add in that every class seems a carbon copy of the class before it aswell.  oooh, an ability that does X, my Y class character has that too....and my new Z class alt just got that last level.......oh crap.

Any examples to back that up? I haven't noticed ANYTHING like that yet. °O

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Same issue...I guess Im just supposed to have fun, but achievement is why I have fun, and I just dont feel it in GW2.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

themeparks for the most part don't really offer much to make you feel truely unique.. I honstly can't think of a single one that really made me go hey I'm the only person wearing this and doing this just really doesn't happen in these games.. Now where the customization and for me fun is, is playing with builds.. was same in Rift but just playing with all the options and coming up with new sets and combos that work best for your playstyle.. you could strive to get a legendary weapon if you really want to stick out. But overall it's just the nature of these games. What you sound like you want is more of a open sandbox type game where you can be whatever you want and truley make a unique character, themeparks really just aren't going to allow that in most cases.. even in TSW with its skill wheel you are going ot very hard pressed to be truley unique.

Aerowynn....just for the record :P....I agree with this

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by blackthornn

I think it is funny people say this - The old saying, 'missing the trees in spite of being in a forest.' Sure they SEEM to do the same thing but the mechanics of the profession ARE different.

I actaully like the weapon-specific skills versus, lets say Rift which has really doesn't.

To each their own.

Originally posted by Randayn
    Same issue...I guess Im just supposed to have fun, but achievement is why I have fun, and I just dont feel it in GW2.

yet you praise TSW which everyone is using the exact same skill wheel doing the exact same quest series.. where's the achievement? the issue is more of a themepark thing which pretty much all of them suffer from.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• deamiandeamian Member UncommonPosts: 66
    So I should design my own mmo, I knew it! Just a friendly discussion btw, monday etc. I play on and off, and love that it doesn't chain me to my computer desk like many many other mmo's. I just want a little more return on investment.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Guild wars 2 and guild wars before is a game of skill not stats resulting from gear grind. The game I sister in you being a competent playr, which is where pride should come from.  Everyone can get max gear but very few will master  their profession in dungeons WvW and sPvP.  Embrace the strategy of the build and leave cookie cutter skill rotation behind. Good luck 

yet you praise TSW which everyone is using the exact same skill wheel doing the exact same quest series.. where's the achievement? the issue is more of a themepark thing which pretty much all of them suffer from.

I agree for the most part here.  My opinion, though, is that TSW is a little more intuitive and complex (when it comes to the skill wheel).  Also, as far as looks, any character can look anyway they want.  As far as damage and stuff, it can be different because of the multitude of builds, but I don't think it will be different enough.  which is why I agree for the most part, but can see where someone could argue.

but if we are to consider Anarchy Online a themepark, then this argument would be incorrect.  The skills system is SO in-depth that damage can vary extraudinarily from toon to toon depending on build.

• Jtrav1987Jtrav1987 Member Posts: 79
    I think its troubling that people need to feel dignified and important just to have fun in a game.
    So I should design my own mmo, I knew it! Just a friendly discussion btw, monday etc. I play on and off, and love that it doesn't chain me to my computer desk like many many other mmo's. I just want a little more return on investment.

the return is really what you make of it and what you value in any game and that differs from person to person..  but again really sounds like you are wanting a more sandbox type game.. looks like some possibly good ones coming on the hoirzon though

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

The exact same skill wheel? You know you are reaching with that one.  

eidt - I'm seeing this a lot.

random person A- "I don't like GW2 because of X"

random person B- "Oh well yeah X is a problem in every mmo."

No, no it's not. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Jtrav1987
    I think its troubling that people need to feel dignified and important just to have fun in a game.

for me, achievement is fun...for others just enjoying the game itself is fun.  Everyone has different tastes...that's why there is so much healthy (and my unhealthy) forms of debate on the forums.  it makes it interesting.

Originally posted by bcbully

lol...I missed that quote.  Did you mean that each class has a similar skill wheel or that it's the same skill wheel as other themparks...you can make an argument for the first, but the second is completely false.

I agree for the most part here.  My opinion, though, is that TSW is a little more intuitive and complex (when it comes to the skill wheel).  Also, as far as looks, any character can look anyway they want.  As far as damage and stuff, it can be different because of the multitude of builds, but I don't think it will be different enough.  which is why I agree for the most part, but can see where someone could argue.

but if we are to consider Anarchy Online a themepark, then this argument would be incorrect.  The skills system is SO in-depth that damage can vary extraudinarily from toon to toon depending on build.

if you spend a good amount of time in sPVP playing with builds you can truley see how many options you have in GW2 and it's actually extremely flexible with the amount of options each class has when you combine differn't weapon sets with differn't traits and utility skills and differn't sigils/runes. The way i get longevity in themeparks usually is how varied the combat system flexability is.. It's why I stuck around Rift for so long and why I really enjoy GW2 think many have not really spent enough time with the system to see how flexable it really is.

AO has some great systems in place to bad it had so many other issues when it was released.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

lol...I missed that quote.  Did you mean that each class has a similar skill wheel or that it's the same skill wheel as other themparks...you can make an argument for the first, but the second is completely false.

That's like saying all cars are alike... yeah, but....

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

smh. carbon copy really? Guess that's why my roomie plays his rogue as a dual pistol seals but i play mine as switching between pistol/sword and pistol/dagger stealthy.  Or how about my friend who plays his engineer as all turrets+rifle guns and i play mine as all bombs and pistol/shield with burning enhancements. 

Anyone and i mean anyone can play this game however to claim that in any way the style of play between the ways people play their professions makes these "classes" cabon copies of one another or that in any way these classes don't matter is just wrong. It's not an opinion it's just not actually playing the game...because you can start off and get to level 10 and see the differences right off the bat before you start getting trait points. seriously.....

That being said. OP the game is definitely about appearance and pets and all the little things most people ignore in these titles. Sometime in the near future we'll begin to see housing, mounts, and guild halls put in and the game will flesh out even more.

GW2 in many ways has returned to the core of what mmo's were supposed to be about, cooperation, teamwork, exploration to see the work the devs completed, and to be part of the lore of the world one is in. That's the feeling i get when i login.

It was never about rushing to the end, stats theorycrafting, or endless raid runs as the only means of progression. I've never played games for that purpose and when they went down that path in WoW i and people like me, the majority of players, hated it. I absolutely regret not listening to the people who warned me and mine against continuing playing WoW when they gave the wheel to Ghostcrawler, and this most recent expansion is exactly why they were warning us.

I hope you figure it out for yourself but remember these are only games. I made this one my new home because it offers the most and has a team that doesn't require a monthly fee scheme to accomplish it. ;)

eidt - I'm seeing this a lot.

random person A- "I don't like GW2 because of X"

random person B- "Oh well yeah X is a problem in every mmo."

No, no it's not. 

the point i'm making is the skill wheel is the same for anyone.. yes you have options but in the end you all will have access to all the exact same skills... so if person A has a cool build and you both have 100% skill wheel I can easily copy his build.. in an open skill system you would be hard pressed to do this unless you started a game copying someones exact build and just followed that. The open ended systems offer a lot more uniqueness to the individual which is what the OP is looking for

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I believe it's not a problem of GW2, but the whole genre. I used to get all hyped about downing a raid boss, I was actually one of those that would feel my heart accelerate dangerously and my hands would get that nasty cold sweat when the Realmfirst was about to go down for me and my friends/guild, and the big bad monster died.

I loved to go back to the town with my super rare mount, piece of armor or title that only 5-20 people had in the whole server. But that does not exist anymore. With the ultra-casualization of this genre so every average 12 years old Joe can get the full of the game's rewards with just playing 30 minutes a day without any skills to speak of, any uniqueness is simply gone. 

Nowadays, your only hope for uniqueness is to spend more real money than others, through cosmetic benefits in cash shops, or grind zillion hours to get your weapon to just change its skin, while still hitting as hard as any alt that just hit level 80. This is unfortunate, but once upon a time gaming was badly seen and kinda marginalized. Back then games were made for gamers. And gamers wanted games to be seen as just another passtime, to not be marginalized and to get more people to try and play videogames. Well, that was achieved, and this is what we got, and now we have to live with the bastardized trash that gaming has turned into in general.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• InfearealInfeareal Member UncommonPosts: 111

Your statement is very correct for many of the true at heart RPGamers. There is no reason to boast, to stand around in town with your ultra rare never seen before sword of mighty destruction. The treadmill that is mmo's today does not allow for such things. The reason being the complainers and whiners of the community. Why should he get that cause he spent X investement (time, money, skill) and I can not do those things. So everything is normalized so everyone can be the hero that has the cool looking armor with the top achievements. In the end though when everyone has them none of it really matters. I am also a fan of limited items where only 1 or a few exist in game

Do not get me wrong, GW2 is fun and I will be playing for quite a long time still. No need to reply with well try this or that as I am an avid lurker of all things gaming. I am aware of what is out and is releasing. Now trion has made me raise an eye with this housing thing, but still need to learn more. That is close to a reason to stand out and be different, something to show your pride in.

Background story, once the co-founder (co-monarch) of a very large guild in a particular game I had a long personal quest. Not some quest handed out to me be a ? wielding peasent, but something I wanted. I had a desire for a particular set of armor. Armor was dye-able and a sub color could not be chosen but came with the loot on drop. Drop's were mostly random, the enchants, armor type, and colors. It took 6 months 2 weeks worth of time to collect the exact pieces needed to make this armor set. Imbuing armor could cause it to explode permenantly, so even when you finally found that right piece getting it to the exact right level of "enchanting" could also cause its demise. Threat of death also always loomed, I could be looted in PvP or body lost and decayed. In the end I had the baddest set of armor to be seen. People would recognize me coming, would amire the work put into this set, and sometimes would covet my set and try to remove it from my still warm corpse. It took a guild to make this set of armor (we did many sets for individuals) and even a couple of times a guild to retrieve a piece or two that was lifted from my body by war or by trade.

I was proud of my estate that I owned that was not in an instance and the world could see, that displayed my trophies. I was proud of my armor that displayed my dedication. I was proud of my guild(monarchy) that did so much to improve and enrich the experience of the gamers that they touched. Few games today give you the chance to do such things. Even as I have become more casual I would still love to see these things happen, even if I can not tangibly acquire the items/goals myself. To know I am in that world is enough for me.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Old school MMOs were about being unique between many others. Today MMOs are about being same among everyone.

they added mutliple branching story quests since I left? because the story is what I'm reffering to when I say same quest series as it's at least for me one of the major selling points of the game.

• deamiandeamian Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Jtrav1987

Fun and achievement have very different definitions, I am able to have fun just fine.