Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the newest MMORTS? Like building your village/empire type..

TorkazTorkaz Member UncommonPosts: 92
Anyone know what the newest mmorts browser game would be?  I'm not looking for age of empires as I cant play that on a mac :| ... But most browser games work, looking for the newest so I'm not up against everyones giant armies... thanks!

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

An older one, but still worth checking out: Saga

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by Torkaz
    Anyone know what the newest mmorts browser game would be?  I'm not looking for age of empires as I cant play that on a mac :| ... But most browser games work, looking for the newest so I'm not up against everyones giant armies... thanks!

Like what kind?

4X? tactical?

• TorkazTorkaz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    I dont know what 4X or tactical is lol... Like the kind where you can invade other players and destroy their stuff, also Saga isn't for mac, sucks it looked good...
  • AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by Torkaz
    I dont know what 4X or tactical is lol... Like the kind where you can invade other players and destroy their stuff, also Saga isn't for mac, sucks it looked good...

I don't know what you are looking for.

A turnbased game? A real time game?

Ogame? Lord Of Ultima? Shattered Galaxy?

Space? Fantasy? Modern?

Theres a new shitty F2P 4X browser game released every week, good luck keeping up if you want the "newest one".

• TorkazTorkaz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Real time, a game like age of empires for example...
  • ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

You mean like Ikarium or Travian? Rise of Europe is in beta.  Its heads above those others but not completely finished yet.  You can still apply to get in. 

/edit actually open beta started today; 10/16 but while the game is good for a browser its a money grab and pay 2 win as it stands.

• szatuchny2szatuchny2 Member Posts: 2

I get google alerts for both Saga and MMORTS so I thought I should drop by.

Saga unfortunately is not a browser game, it is wondows only and a client, so it won't work for the original poster looking to play on a mac. There are a bunch of really great MMORTS games out there, although to my knowledge none are made for a Mac.

Ikarium, Travian, Rise of Europe and all similar games using the MMORTS tag seem to be confused. RTS stands for Real Time Strategy, those games are a lot of fun but they are Turn Based Strategy. A VERY small percentage are actually Tower Defense masquerading as RTS, ( I love the tower defense MMO's). Turn Based Strategy is not a dirty term, I enjoy the genre a lot, and don't understand the need for deception.

To be a true MMORTS, you need 3 things.

• A huge world to explore
    • The ability to control units in real time
    • Persistence. Which means units gain experience from combat

To be 100% open, I am not entirely unbiased. I had a hand in the design of Saga and right now am heavily involved in the design of its sequel, Saga Kingdoms. This is a true MMORTS and the unity engine allows the game to be played on both Windows and Mac, as well a in a browser, also linux (We love you guys too).

The game is still in alpha, although if the funding on Kickstarter is successful, we will be in beta in a few months.

You can read about it at www.sagakingdoms.com.