Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the "pop" culture infection MMORPG's now?

124»

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    All anyone has to do to know if Pop culture is influencing games is look at WoW right now. They have had references to He-Man, Zelda, Mickey Mouse, Bambi and friends, Fight Club, Star Trek TOS, Clarice from Silence of the Lambs, Lord of the Rings, Thundercats, Transformers, Futurama, Ghostbusters, Pulp Fiction, Godzilla, Indiana Jones, MST 3k, Mario Bros, Grease, Psycho and Forrest Gump. I think it's safe to say that WoW holds the award for most influenced by "pop" culture. Perhaps that's why it seems to continue receiving popularity.
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by Randayn

My understanding is that the "pop" culture is a bunch of crowd pleasing, want it easy and soft, commoner mentality people who make up the majority fo the population.  They love what "we" (the real MMORPG crowd do), but would also "love" to have it simplified for them since they cannot comprehend on the same level.  Thus we have games such as WoW that included such characters as He-Man and stupid slapstick jokes that weren't funny (except for those that watch too much tv)....the new MMORPG's feel like Brittany Spears albums or even worse, Justin Beiber albums...easy to listen, with no reason to think as brain functionality was not included.  

Why have we gotten to this (low) level with a genre that seemed to be a world of it's own?  Why did we let such a plague ruin our exhistence...call me a drama queen/king....call me anything you want...the pop culture has invaded...and MMORPG's will never be the same because of it....

You keep yourself warm at night with that. The mass population would love to be like ultra-nerds into hardcore computer gaming.

I find this to be a very insulting way of stating your opinion. You are not a gaming god, no one thinks you are special because of it. You cannot pidgeon hole players into you conceptions. WoW has 9+ million subscribers. You imply that it is some sort of homogenous group. Would you say that New York City, a population of 9+ million are all the same type of people? The hedge fund guy on wall street and the convenience store worker in Harlem? 

Fine, you don't like the humor.

Fine, you don't like convenience and accessibility that games have today.

Fine, you felt more special when it was only the uber-nerd who could or would want to invest 80+ hours a week to become 'leet'.

I know there are hundreds of thousands of hardcore, old school gamers out there. 

But as long as there are MILLIONS of gamers out there NOT like you, guess where the product development focus will be?

The best you can hope for is a future where there are:

-many games developed for the mass population

-a few games for the hardcore

----------------------------------------------------

In the future, if you find that you don't like something. Try not to put other people down to make you feel special. 

Disliking WoW and easily accessible games does not mean you are above the fray; that you are elite, that only players 'like you' are real -  It means you don't share the majority opinion. 

And I will gaurentee you, with 9+ million subscribers, WoW has subscribers that were everybit as hardcore as you were back in the day. They are everybit as hardcore now, playing WoW as you were with whatever 'superior' game you played - and lastly there are probably those playing wow that come off as just as arrogant and elitist in their nerd-rage tirades about  players who aren't like them - talking about how the mass population is ruining everything about gaming.

It's time for hardcore players who don't like WoW to stop bashing on rpg convenience games. No one forced you to buy it. No one forced you to play it. You know what you like and it still exists.

Go play EVE

Go play EQ

Go play Vangaurd

Go play DAoC

Or whatever game you think is indicative of a 'real game'.

Those games are still there, still have hardcore guilds and still play those games hardcore. 

The industry didn't leave you behind - you left the games the industry designed for your playstyle.

I will admit that statement was a bit harsh (I had been drinking a bit that night)...but I'm hoping my point wasn't lost because of that.

I am subbed to Anarchy Online and play it almost everyday. 

I have, and I cant help you see it, ignorance is bliss.

You admit that you disagree, and that's your right.

I still say with more life experience you will understand better, until then, enjoy life "as you see it."

attacks (continued...the trilogy or something) - "ignorance is bliss, with more life experience you will understand better (I personally lol'd at this one)"

anything with context - (empty)

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

I have, and I cant help you see it, ignorance is bliss. You admit that you disagree, and that's your right. I still say with more life experience you will understand better, until then, enjoy life "as you see it."
    attacks (continued...the trilogy or something) - "ignorance is bliss, with more life experience you will understand better (I personally lol'd at this one)"

We get it, your feelings are hurt. You are a broken record at this point, I've given you an argument... and it's based around the fact that you have not experienced life enough to undertstand the concepts you are attempting to argue.

Ahh! That the key word, argument.

That's all you want, not a discussion, an argument.

Arguing with you is like arguing with a brick wall.

Did you notice that saying I have under my avatar? Do you understand what that means?

You prove my point. Go ahead and ignore all the other replies setting you straight, I hit a nerve and yelp, yelp, yelp.

And you will prove it by replying with another set of equally inane statements.

If you are confident in your "position" as it is, so be it, don't act so insecure that you have to validate yourself to a stranger on the internet.

If I'm wrong move on and reply to the others who have poked so many holes in your "argument."

Edit: Ayn Rand, really, now I lol'ed. You need to re-read The Fountainhead. Then again folks often "pose" for others using references and words they don't really understand because they think it makes them look intelligent.

Originally posted by strangepower

I have, and I cant help you see it, ignorance is bliss. You admit that you disagree, and that's your right. I still say with more life experience you will understand better, until then, enjoy life "as you see it."

We get it, your feelings are hurt. You are a broken record at this point, I've given you an argument... and it's based around the fact that you have not experienced life enough to undertstand the concepts you are attempting to argue.

Ahh! That the key word, argument.

That's all you want, not a discussion, an argument.

Arguing with you is like arguing with a brick wall.

Did you notice that saying I have under my avatar? Do you understand what that means?

You prove my point. Go ahead and ignore all the other replies setting you straight, I hit a nerve and yelp, yelp, yelp.

And you will prove it by replying with another set of equally inane statements.

If you are confident in your "position" as it is, so be it, don't act so insecure that you have to validate yourself to a stranger on the internet.

If I'm wrong move on and reply to the others who have poked so many holes in your "argument."

Edit: Ayn Rand, really, now I lol'ed. You need to re-read The Fountainhead. Then again folks often "pose" for others using references and words they don't really understand because they think it makes them look intelligent.

wait, I thought this was your issue? "don't act so insecure"....that's the immediate sign of a person holding their ground with insults and a lack of substance.  Im EXTREMELY confident in my views and ideals and I do not have to prove myself to anyone.  You on the other hand, Im hoping, would prove yourself only to save face.

As for Fountainhead, it was a good book, but Im more into Ayn Rand's non-fiction "Capitalism:  The Unknown Ideal" and her book on Objecitivism, which I believe is titled that...can't remember.  Give me an address and I'll send you both books...I love sharing the books that I enjoyed.

attacks (continued...the trilogy or something) - "ignorance is bliss, with more life experience you will understand better (I personally lol'd at this one)"   anything with context - (empty)
      We get it, your feelings are hurt. You are a broken record at this point, I've given you an argument... and it's based around the fact that you have not experienced life enough to undertstand the concepts you are attempting to argue. Ahh! That the key word, argument. That's all you want, not a discussion, an argument. Arguing with you is like arguing with a brick wall. Did you notice that saying I have under my avatar? Do you understand what that means? You prove my point. Go ahead and ignore all the other replies setting you straight, I hit a nerve and yelp, yelp, yelp. And you will prove it by replying with another set of equally inane statements. If you are confident in your "position" as it is, so be it, don't act so insecure that you have to validate yourself to a stranger on the internet. If I'm wrong move on and reply to the others who have poked so many holes in your "argument." Edit: Ayn Rand, really, now I lol'ed. You need to re-read The Fountainhead. Then again folks often "pose" for others using references and words they don't really understand because they think it makes them look intelligent.
    wait, I thought this was your issue? "don't act so insecure"....that's the immediate sign of a person holding their ground with insults and a lack of substance.  Im EXTREMELY confident in my views and ideals and I do not have to prove myself to anyone.  You on the other hand, Im hoping, would prove yourself only to save face.

As for Fountainhead, it was a good book, but Im more into Ayn Rand's non-fiction "Capitalism:  The Unknown Ideal" and her book on Objecitivism, which I believe is titled that...can't remember.  Give me an address and I'll send you both books...I love sharing the books that I enjoyed.

As he continues to project.

You going to address the others who poked holes in your argument? Or are you going to continue to focus on the person that called you out on your BS?

This coming from a guy who made excuses to his wording in the thread "because he was drinking?" Don't be an amateur and blame your actions on alcohol.

Truth is you never presented a debatable/arguable subject or point, all you did was ramble out some subjective points of view. Can't logically argue with that other than point out the fact that it is essentially just that, subjective.

attacks (continued...the trilogy or something) - "ignorance is bliss, with more life experience you will understand better (I personally lol'd at this one)"   anything with context - (empty)
      We get it, your feelings are hurt. You are a broken record at this point, I've given you an argument... and it's based around the fact that you have not experienced life enough to undertstand the concepts you are attempting to argue. Ahh! That the key word, argument. That's all you want, not a discussion, an argument. Arguing with you is like arguing with a brick wall. Did you notice that saying I have under my avatar? Do you understand what that means? You prove my point. Go ahead and ignore all the other replies setting you straight, I hit a nerve and yelp, yelp, yelp. And you will prove it by replying with another set of equally inane statements. If you are confident in your "position" as it is, so be it, don't act so insecure that you have to validate yourself to a stranger on the internet. If I'm wrong move on and reply to the others who have poked so many holes in your "argument." Edit: Ayn Rand, really, now I lol'ed. You need to re-read The Fountainhead. Then again folks often "pose" for others using references and words they don't really understand because they think it makes them look intelligent.

As he continues to project.

You going to address the others who poked holes in your argument? Or are you going to continue to focus on the person that called you out on your BS?

This coming from a guy who made excuses to his wording in the thread "because he was drinking?" Don't be an amateur and blame your actions on alcohol.

Truth is you never presented a debatable/arguable subject or point, all you did was ramble out some subjective points of view. Can't argue with that.

ha...I actually said that the statement was harsh, but I was still commited to the point I was making. 

I replied to plenty of others.  My issue with you is you bring nothing to the table.  You disrupt it and walk away.  There is nothing worse (in a post) that responds with no substance and cannot give valid explanation for their stance.  That is why I'm relentless for the most part.  The other part is to see if you actually know anything at all or if you are just pulling little pieces of things you heard of in a "fire-side chat" to use in your arsenal (lack thereof in this case).

You have repeatedly been asked to state a substantive view on why you think that MMO's only have hints of pop culture in them, rather actually being a part of pop culture and everytime you have been on the attack, trying to criticize rather than rationalize.  It's pathetic and exposes your character flaws.

The only think that was missing from making my argument objective was factual data....To make you happy, I will research tonight, after work, to present my findings.  But you must make a better effort to present your thoughts on the matter.

The only think that was missing from making my argument objective was factual data....To make you happy, I will research tonight, after work, to present my findings.  But you must make a better effort to present your thoughts on the matter.

You are slowly figuring it out, yet you still don't address the others replys stating that your POV is inaccurate, why is that?

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

My understanding is that the "pop" culture is a bunch of crowd pleasing, want it easy and soft, commoner mentality people who make up the majority fo the population.  They love what "we" (the real MMORPG crowd do), but would also "love" to have it simplified for them since they cannot comprehend on the same level.  Thus we have games such as WoW that included such characters as He-Man and stupid slapstick jokes that weren't funny (except for those that watch too much tv)....the new MMORPG's feel like Brittany Spears albums or even worse, Justin Beiber albums...easy to listen, with no reason to think as brain functionality was not included.  

Why have we gotten to this (low) level with a genre that seemed to be a world of it's own?  Why did we let such a plague ruin our exhistence...call me a drama queen/king....call me anything you want...the pop culture has invaded...and MMORPG's will never be the same because of it....

I agree with you.   I have posted many times how we got here... I just get banned everytime I type it into one of these forums.

You have repeatedly been asked to state a substantive view on why you think that MMO's only have hints of pop culture in them, rather actually being a part of pop culture and everytime you have been on the attack, trying to criticize rather than rationalize.  It's pathetic and exposes your character flaws.

Because my grandmother is aware of American Idol and the moonlanding and Micheal Jackson, but you mention MMO's and she has no clue. Her and countless others are on the same page.

As much as it is a big deal in your "world" it doesn't make it a cultural phenomena that would denote pop culture.

You have designs for the lowest common denominator confused with the term Pop Culture.

You have no room to "yelp" about "attacks" when you attempt to associate me with "character flaws."

That's the pot calling the kettle black.

So if you have a real point, you will address the others that disagree with you rather than continue to wear your emotions on your sleeve and focus on me.

Remember, you are confident in your position, confidence would denote that you wouldn't argue with someone who has no point.

Yet with every reply you flail about cementing the fact that I have certainly touched a sore spot.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    There's valuable forum points at stake.  Win at any cost, General Pyrrhus!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite
    There's valuable forum points at stake.  Win at any cost, General Pyrrhus!

You are right, I have digressed, my apologies. No Mas!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

You are right, I have digressed, my apologies. No Mas!

S'all right.

“Thou hast seen nothing yet.”-- Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

"You ain't seen nothin' yet."-- Randy Bachman

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Because my grandmother is aware of American Idol and the moonlanding and Micheal Jackson, but you mention MMO's and she has no clue. Her and countless others are on the same page.

As much as it is a big deal in your "world" it doesn't make it a cultural phenomena that would denote pop culture.

You have no room to "yelp" about "attacks" when you attempt to associate me with "character flaws."

That's the pot calling the kettle black.

So if you have a real point, you will address the others that disagree with you rather than continue to wear your emotions on your sleeve and focus on me.

Remember, you are confident in your position, confidence would denote that you wouldn't argue with someone who has no point.

Yet with every reply you flail about cementing the fact that I have certainly touched a sore spot.

Denote everything someone says, even demonize them, fill it with nothingness and move on....you are the fuel that keeps me going.  Thanks so much.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    The thread has pretty much devolved into back and forth arguments at this point.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.