Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan Arrives, New Trailer Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Turbine and the Lord of the Rings Online team have released a new trailer to celebrate today's launch of the Riders of Rohan expansion. Riders of Rohan brings new content to the game including the much-anticipated mounted combat. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287
    Soon will ride in Rohan and charge all the way to Mordor   :)
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Glurg yes! Love this game. No panda's! Thank Sauron, er, I mean Gandalf.
  • pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115

I love Lord of the Rings. I really do. I played LotrO since release but after Star Wars and Guild Wars 2 the game feels old. The year we waited for the free to play changes was really bad. No new stuff (more or less)for 1 year. Now new things are rare PvMP is the worst in MMORPG history. In fact no real new stuff for monsterplay since release.

The spirit of Tolkien vanished. You have to make stupid quests on and off. In the last years it becomes a wow clone without an own soul.

I think Rohan is the last hope for LotrO from my point of view.

I love Lord of the Rings Online. But if I start playing Rohan and the first quest is " Ohh you are a hobbit please go and kill 20 people because they have stolen my necklace". Then I start to cry.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Yay !!!
  • xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

The Lord of the Mounts Online.....

Do i need to say more? After all thats what this game has become, cha cha.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by pwain

I love Lord of the Rings. I really do. I played LotrO since release but after Star Wars and Guild Wars 2 the game feels old. The year we waited for the free to play changes was really bad. No new stuff (more or less)for 1 year. Now new things are rare PvMP is the worst in MMORPG history. In fact no real new stuff for monsterplay since release.

The spirit of Tolkien vanished. You have to make stupid quests on and off. In the last years it becomes a wow clone without an own soul.

I think Rohan is the last hope for LotrO from my point of view.

I love Lord of the Rings Online. But if I start playing Rohan and the first quest is " Ohh you are a hobbit please go and kill 20 people because they have stolen my necklace". Then I start to cry.

hmm, I've actually had similiar thoughts.

Especially after the last expansion. At one point one of the chiefs (or whatever they were) asked me to help the people of his village and the quests that I started coming upon were just so "not me".

I then went out to just kill orcs and the like but he world is compiled of these textures that just don't work well when applied to large areas.

I"ll see how other people react to this new expansion before I buy it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

Sad to say but the game really is looking old these days. As much as I want to love this game I can't get pass the clunky combat no matter how many times I give it a try.  

I buy all my expansions with store points I get as a vip account. I will most likely give this a try down the road again when I get bored with my current MMO.  The pattern I have used since the launch of the game. 

Maybe its just me but IMHO this game should have been a sandbox. I hope some day before I die I will get that feeling of being in a world again for time is ticking and it seems to be going faster by the minute. :P

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by nyxium

Hehe, yep no panda's.

Don't understand the complaints about "clunky combat", I have played a lot of MMO's with far worst combat animations.  As to the graphics, unless you are a real connoisseur they are pretty much up to par with most of the other MMO's.  The nice thing, Lotro plays on just about any computer.  At least there is ton's of content, unlike many of the newer MMO's.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Love LOTRO. Great story and wonderful environmental art, though the characters are definitely showing their age.

I was in the beta for this expansion and mounted combat is a lot of fun. It takes a bit to get used to - maybe an hour or less, and there is a basic tutorial - but it is a new take on combat and definitely something new to play around with.

Release notes are here:
    http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Update_8,_Riders_of_Rohan,_Official

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4

Sad to say but the game really is looking old these days. As much as I want to love this game I can't get pass the clunky combat no matter how many times I give it a try.  

I buy all my expansions with store points I get as a vip account. I will most likely give this a try down the road again when I get bored with my current MMO.  The pattern I have used since the launch of the game. 

Maybe its just me but IMHO this game should have been a sandbox. I hope some day before I die I will get that feeling of being in a world again for time is ticking and it seems to be going faster by the minute. :P

Not sure how you get to the fourth expansion and still play it with "clunky" combat.  Not sure what you mean by it either.

Characters could use a remake but the graphics settings I use make this game scream "this is an MMO" environment.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Love LOTRO. Great story and wonderful environmental art, though the characters are definitely showing their age.

I was in the beta for this expansion and mounted combat is a lot of fun. It takes a bit to get used to - maybe an hour or less, and there is a basic tutorial - but it is a new take on combat and definitely something new to play around with.

Release notes are here:

You woul be better to post the known issues. When you see those, your stomach would turn.

No idea how they could release this expac with known bugs like that.

It seems to get worse and worse with each expac.

I remember well when LOTRO launched and all the polished, nearly bugfree, book updates up till Moria. Back then Turbine was praised for the stable good and well tested roll out of updates.

/sigh

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

i just love that "clunky combat" whiners!

yeah, the combat is little slow paced, but it's not clunky. actualy i think it have beautiful choreography.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by nyxium

Hehe, yep no panda's.

Don't understand the complaints about "clunky combat", I have played a lot of MMO's with far worst combat animations.  As to the graphics, unless you are a real connoisseur they are pretty much up to par with most of the other MMO's.  The nice thing, Lotro plays on just about any computer.  At least there is ton's of content, unlike many of the newer MMO's.

Yeah, I've never thought of LOTRO combat as clunky.  Slow and boring sure, but not clunky.

I've never wanted mounted combat and so I have low expectations for this expansion.  My guess is it follows the trend of being worse than the previous expansion.  But at least they tried doing something different and capturing the essence of Rohan, even if it is lore breaking.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    I think people find the combat clunky because they're used to over the top combat in most other fantasy games.  Don't mistake me, LotRO's combat is certainly fantasy combat, specifically fantasy MMORPG combat, but certainly not some of the zany stuff we see in other games.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173
    I think people use term clunky to describe slow and unresponsive combat. And this was always an issue in LOTRO. Although have to say devs were and still are working to make it better.

Anyways GW2 spoiled me way to far to even consider going back for Rohan. The grind for legendary items, immersion breaking store everywhere, quests locking further quests keeping me in quest hub with no freedom of exploration, raid for good gear. Nah this is so old and boring!

Have to admit I'll miss how the epic story unfolds, but then I don't think LOTRO engine is ready for big epic battles that awaits. 40 people in one place make server laggy and seeing "epic" battle between 3 Rohirrims , 3 orcs and me felt really lame.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    It's the clunky combat and the character models that put me off playing lotro. I really like LOTR's so it's a shame really.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Release notes are here:

You woul be better to post the known issues. When you see those, your stomach would turn.

No idea how they could release this expac with known bugs like that.

It seems to get worse and worse with each expac.

I remember well when LOTRO launched and all the polished, nearly bugfree, book updates up till Moria. Back then Turbine was praised for the stable good and well tested roll out of updates.

/sigh

Enough of that nonsense.  There are NO issue with playability!  Been playing for two days now and no one in my kin has had any issues.  Way to make a mountain out of a molehill!

Again there is nothing wrong with character models or the annimations, it is a figment of your imagination.  You want to see bad examples of such, go try some of the f2p games, even the new ones are bad.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    What do I like about this game? It's kept to its spirit of the original release and not simplified itself over and over until it's not the game I originally played *cough WoW* but instead of revamping the original mechanics which is just fine by me as I like games that stick to the spirit of its original traits / talent system but add new content on if you really want it, i.e. mounted combat in this games case, while preserving the original mechanics for purists so it keeps them around rather than having them leave in disgust because it's not the original game any more but a new game *cough WoW* so traditionalists not feeling the love up sticks and leave *cough WoW*. That's what I like about LOTRO, it hasn't stuck the bird finger up to its original player base that actually likes how traits work, unlike WoW *cough* which has re-invented it's talents over and over into silly duuuuh-ok whatdisbuttondo mechanics, if they can be called mechanics now.
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

It is a good game, always was a good game.  Not a great game and not even a very good game, but a good game.  It has totally changed from the first release.  Back then it was a quest based MMO with multiple ways to acquire gear at the end game, which was a couple of raids as well as PVMP.  Now, because they switched to F2P, the game is a quest hub, barter fest with only one way to acquire gear via end game instances.  Still a good game though.

Combat has always been clunky with this game.  It feels as if your character is stuck on the ground, mostly because you cannot really move in combat and there is auto attack which does NOT sync up with your special attacks, especially on the slower induction skills.  The graphics were nice when it was released, now they are really old looking.  The art direction is still nice and the music in Rohan is top notch all the way.

If you dont want to play clunk combat classes, play the Runekeeper and go lightning spec and most of your attacks are insta cast so you can play on the run.  Warden is a great class too and is not that clunky.