Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of mmorpg would you create? No swords or dragons allowed

Comments

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Plain and simple.

Dune

My Faction would be with the Freemen http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Fremen

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

Farscape Online.

Ah, one can hope. image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Swords are just another type of weapons, dragons just another type of monster, fantasy just another place. None of these define a good game. Gameplay does. Give me any game with good gameplay and I will play it.
  • EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

No swords,dragons,magic,shields or wizards.

1. A prison mmorpg

2.A sky diving mmorpg

3.Cowboys vs Indians mmorpg

4.Musical mmorpg Start a rockband 

I prefer magic, swords and dragons, so nothing for me from that list. :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    1. A prison mmorpg

We live with the knowledge that a lot of suspension of disbelief is required to enjoy a fantasy game.

But Prison? Really?

Can you imagine how many Big Gulps of Unreality you must swallow whole to make Prison fun in any way?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Aimee46Aimee46 Member Posts: 11

"No swords,dragons,magic,shields or wizards."

Hmmmmm....looks more like these forums here. They are usually quite massive and online. Also they have a huge amount of PvP (poster versus poster).

Playing: GW2 & Tera.
    Played: Lotro, Lineage, Lineage2, GW1, WoW, CoHV, Tabula Rasa, AoC, Aion, Rift, Allods and several other f2p but of minor importance

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    These forums are like multiplayer notepad.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Emrendil

1. A prison mmorpg

2.A sky diving mmorpg

3.Cowboys vs Indians mmorpg

4.Musical mmorpg Start a rockband 

I prefer magic, swords and dragons, so nothing for me from that list. :)

I actually feel the same to be honest.

I've read many books and one series that would make an epic MMO is Raymond E Feist's worlds of Midkemia and Kelewan.

Midkemia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midkemia

Kelewan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelewan

http://www.crydee.com/

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

IF I was gonna make a MMORPG, which I wouldn't because I would never want to deal with the wall of dumb that is most MMORPG players, I would choose the Deadlands RPG or Interstate '76 PC game settings.

Both would ideally suit open world play with heavy sandbox elements and both would offer a distinctive play style.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Going back to my post regarding the Necroscope series. I forgot to add:

In the world of Sunside / Starside (the origin of vampires), the vampires also rule from massive towering aeries built from a combination of rock & organic matter. They housed entire armies of their own creation ranging from their own lieutenants and servants, to flying creatures (similar to behemot grotesque stingrays) which they used as mounts, to creatures built into the towers themselves which did things like reproduce thralls, provide power to the rest of the place, etc.

The aeries were a constant point of struggle between the vampire lords and they often fought eachother for control of more aeries or as a way for lieutenants to take from other lords to become a lord themself.

Between the warring of vampires with eachother, the fighting between the gypsy tribes of Sunside / Starside, the fighting between the UK & US versions of E-branch vs Russian E-Branch and the KGB, and the way they all tie together and wind up ighting with eachother over various things theres a hell of a lot of factional warfare and territory control that could be implemented and would fit perfectly into the lore.

There would also be huge differences in playing each faction. The vampires with their unique powers and monstrous creations, the gypsy tribes with fairly primitive technology but being skilled hunter / gatherers with a touch of mysticism, and the normal humans from our world each witht their own unique variations and uses of ESP powers and technology.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

No swords,dragons,magic,shields or wizards...........

All you left out was sex.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

What kind of mmorpg would I create? Probably a bad one.

If speaking in terms of genre, probably one of the following:

(I) Dystopian styled near future gritty sci fi.

(II) Victorian(ish) steampunk.

(III) Napoleonic Naval War/Exploration.

(IV) Beowulf esque Northern Europe setting/age.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245

Cowboy Bebop MMO

They should really make a Star Wars MMO someday......

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

I believe that TSW meets all your demands (although you CAN play like a wizard, but certainly do not have to.)

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• AbangyarudoAbangyarudo Member Posts: 156
    I know this is against the op but seeing as WoD is being done I'd like to create Exalted Online. Otherwise I'd like to see an mmorpg where you have to survive after some kind of viral apocalypse (no zombies please they are overplayed). 
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Ghost in the Shell Online
  • zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Hmmm something like Aeon Flux maybe?

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Originally posted by XAPGames

The problem I see is this:

1. Take away swords and melee as combat, and you're left with guns.

2. Guns don't translate well with tab-targeting, that leaves third or first person aimed combat.

3. Put hundreds of players into a world with third / first aimed targeting and the players will expect it to be a deathmatch shooter.  That blows PVE.

Without PVE the game ends up as a PVP shooter with territory control, and you lose the PVE'ers expecting to quest-grind, run dungeons, and raid.  They'll yell on the forums that it's not a "real" MMORPG.

What would I create?  Heck if I know.  I've been banging my head on this for a while now.

Would a non-sandbox PVE Sci-Fi MMORPG with first person shooter combat appeal to anyone?  I sort of doubt it.

I could not stand Borderlands.  I think if you sanboxed up borderlands and made it into an MMO you would have what you are talking about, and I know I would not play that.  It would suck hard, although I am sure a lot of people will dissagree.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I would probably still create one with swords and magic though maybe a bit more steam punkish but with some differences.

The art design would be closer to a mixture of Neverending Story and Mirror Mask:

The world would be absolutely huge with limited fast travel in that some players would be able to take people to known parts of the map but otherwise you have to use portals. Areas on the main world can be claimed for housing but clan leaders would be able to carve out their own "pocket realm" a la Jack L. Chalker's "Soul Riders" series where they can set their own rules of their kingdom, the look, etc. Members can have their own housing, etc.

However, there would be the need for resources, most everything player made, so there would be the need for markets to buy and sell (nope, no auction houses) areas where it was ffa pvp for resources/land. Also great character customization. Both in abilities and cosmetics.

There would be classes but the classes but within the classed you could develop the class based upon skills/abilities you wanted.

Very long leveling but also a wide leveling. No end game. What you do at level 10, whether that's waging war, becoming a trader, Monster hunting, etc, is what you do all along the game. You decide what you want to do and be and you do it.

What you make of it is what you make of it. You want to run a kingdom? Carve it out. You want to be emperor? make it happen. You want to fight in the gladitorial arenas do it. become a trader? do it.

the crafting system would be a bit like creating races in masters of orion where you could add positives but would have limited points and you could possibly add negatives.

So fun fantasizing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Vesavius

wall of dumb that is most MMORPG players

Hubris On Parade.  Think we can get the owners to rebrand the website?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

No swords,dragons,magic,shields or wizards...........

All you left out was sex.

I put on my wizard hat............

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Vesavius

wall of dumb that is most MMORPG players

Hubris On Parade.  Think we can get the owners to rebrand the website?

It's a good thing its not called MMORPGPlayers.com. I think it would be much emptier than it is now.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Another idea

Permadeath comedy distopia mmo in the vein of the old p&p game paranoia / the film brazil.
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

It's a good thing its not called MMORPGPlayers.com. I think it would be much emptier than it is now.

Given how few of the usual suspects still  play MMORPGs, it would be a stretch of terminology anyway :P