Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Poll) Why I Prefer f2p

OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
Just curious about folks who are asking for f2p games.  Maybe we can get an idea of the demographics here -- list your own preference (be honest!).  Those who prefer a sub need not take the poll -- it's really for folks who prefer f2p.

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    For me its a matter of the playing field. The only games I would pay a sub for would have to be really awesome. Right now there are so many good f2p options that I don't see a reason to pay a sub for any of the games that ask for one right now. BTW my issue is more with the sub than the purschase price.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

It's not about money. It's about equality.

Once I purchase a game and my monthly fee, I should have access to everything in the game (if I do the work for it). These bullcrap cash shop items, convention items, CE items, pre-order items, and cross-promotion items have got to stop.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    For me its a matter of the playing field. The only games I would pay a sub for would have to be really awesome. Right now there are so many good f2p options that I don't see a reason to pay a sub for any of the games that ask for one right now. BTW my issue is more with the sub than the purschase price.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    I actually like nice little perks in a PvE game.   Spend a bit of cash get a once a day ability and similar.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Well now that GW2 is here I thought it would be fun to do 3 at once. B2P - GW2, F2P-Vanguard, P2P-WoW. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
         I like f2p because I like to play games in short bursts and move around and try new ones...I have no interest in paying a box+sub (cash shop is no temptation) because I just dont have long term interest in most MMOs.....I also like to try MMOs for free before paying anything.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I prefer subscription based mmos, myself.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

I like a f2p game as a quick side dish attraction. No attachment, i will not pay a dime for them, and ill get to why later.

I will only get attached and play long term a P2P game.  I have a few reasons as to why.  First of all the goal of the developers is to keep player, yes not all do this successully, but theres more motive there with keeping player in game when their paycheck comes monthly from subs.

Also, its about a level playfield and long term play.  A P2P game i know exactly what its going to cost me, i know that everyone i encounter has the same potenial, access, and advantages i have.  Its fair. 

With a F2P game, the start is always fantastic, however there is always a designed tipping point where the cash shop becomes vital.  Its at this point that in order to play the game long term it becomes more expensive than a p2p.  Yes many bite the bullet and avoid it, and often games offer ways to buy CS items in game that requier unnatural amounts of grind.  Its just not fun or very expensive.  I wont pay for a f2p game because ill never play it long term, and any money spent is wasted in my eyes, since its optional and i wont be staying.  With a p2p game im paying for time played, its a different mindset.  I have no issue paying 50 cents a day for the option to play as long as i want ect.

Also with all this "make every game free" movement that seems to be happening...once the game does go free, and in every game designed as a free game, the next complaint from these people is about the cash shop.  They just want a p2p game thats free, meaning all access and no advantages for paying...which is funny because i bet if you asked any of them to work for you for free they would laugh in your face.

A side note, i dont count games as f2p where is pay per content.  A lot of p2p games took this route to get more players, endgame  typically remains a monthly fee, and its more like a trial, even GW2 is like this since youll be buying content at box price in the future.  Pay per content has its appeals, and i dont dislike it as much as item mall games, since i can just sub to it and avoid all the BS involved with restrictions.  Only works well if you dont sell cash shop advantages, then its just a bad deal.

I know this topic has been beaten to death, and plenty of people out there have serious issues with paying for their entertainment, or dont have issues with a game with a never ending money sink as long as there is no standard fee...as strange as it all is to me, i dont care that free games exist, i just wish the followers of f2p would stop begging every p2p game to go free...because you sure dont see p2p gamers begging for all the many free games to go p2p.  Also i have a belief that if $15 a month is way too much to ask for a game then gaming should NOT be a priority or even an option...you have bigger issues in life that should be dealt with.

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

Because its cheaper and I'm poor, in the last two years of playing LOTRO I spent a total of.....drum roll... 45$!!!! for one month sub and a expansion pack. 

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    f2p games are just gimmicks. There's always a catch to get you to pay. For that reason, f2p games are crap.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I don't prefer F2P but so far no P2P game has ever been so good to justify a subscription. It is not even a matter of cost/benefit because what you get from a F2P game is essentially the same what you get from a P2P game - likely for free or cheaper.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Please don't forget to add some kind of "just show me the result" to your next poll ^^
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by ZigZags
    f2p games are just gimmicks. There's always a catch to get you to pay. For that reason, f2p games are crap.

^ this

I like Street Gears, that was the only F2P game that didn't ask me for money. All the other F2P games keep trying to get money from you left and right, the game is a pure scam, it's not longer about the game, it's about who can spend the most money.

I'm playing console games right now with my friend until they wisen up and drop their scamming.

Originally posted by Waterlily

I like Street Gears, that was the only F2P game that didn't ask me for money. All the other F2P games keep trying to get money from you left and right, the game is a pure scam, it's not longer about the game, it's about who can spend the most money.

I'm playing console games right now with my friend until they wisen up and drop their scamming.

Setting aside your gross exaggeration for a moment, you still make this assumption about games you haven't even played yet. How can anyone take a comment like that seriously?

[mod edit]

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Setting aside your gross exaggeration for a moment, you still make this assumption about games you haven't even played yet. How can anyone take a comment like that seriously?

How about you let people have their opinion on F2P without trying to troll other people. I don't like F2P's business model, deal with it, if you like them fine, go play.

• protodoxaprotodoxa Member Posts: 14
    I put bargain hunting, which is a big draw in some f2p/freemium titles like LOTRO and DDO, and in both those games, and at least one other p2p game (Rift), subbing can be a bargain. As deals in some f2p titles chage over time, I get to be picky about how I spend my money. It's at least the illusion of control.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Other: I don't like being bound to a game by a subscription.  I want to be able to come and go freely, without the hassle of needing to sign up again.  And again.  Or keep paying indefinately, even if I take a few months off.  Etc.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• TigerAeroTigerAero Member Posts: 127
    " I like the option of paying to get better gear or benefits"
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

f2p is a bane on the MMO industry.. it has messed up nearly every game out there...

I am just glad there still a few companies doing monthly sub only and i hope they stick at it.

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137

You want to have everything in the game, just grab mommies credit card and there ya go.....

Insta gratification for the masses.

Cash shops always have been around in some form or another, now it's mainstream. 

It's all physcological , if they bleed your wallet for dollars it's a hell of alot easier for them to do it Slowly for a tiny amount than rather waxing you for a large one-time fee.

For me I can afford to do either.

All the posts bashing F2P are off-topic. The topic is "Why I prefer F2P" and the question is directed towards people who play F2P games.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I confess, I like when F2P games sell cash shop items that provide benefits not available to non-payers. Trick is to get the price point right, most blow it by overcharging for items or by renting things to you rather than outright sales.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Voted for Other. I play F2Ps because I'm in need of a game and I've come across a few F2Ps that could keep me entertain more so than P2Ps because they offer more diversity. Money isn't an issue, and for F2Ps that I've played long enough I sometimes spend a certain amount of money (I might spend about the price of a boxed game per year), but that's just me. I could very well keep playing without paying.
  • VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    I don't want to pay when I play I want to pay for what I play.  Your option makes is sound like a hourly fee.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Voted for "other".

In truth I won't ever touch a game that forces you to buy stuff to be on parity with other players or that allows you to beat content available to everyone.

I also will very rarely pay a sub.

So this pretty much puts me in the GW/GW2 and similar games camp (with or without box purchase).

I like it because I can choose how I want to enhance my game play experience and so have a complete control on my spenditures.

If the developer wants me to pay regularly they need to give me worthwhile purchases while at the same not pissing me of for going to far.

In a P2P I've no choice - either I pay every month hoping they will give me something in the future or they will cut my game access.While this seem similar to other things like phone contracts or cable/internet, in the mentioned cases I know what I'm getting before paying while in P2P games I pay first and then I might or not like the content, when the content actually is delivered if ever.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders