Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Gorgon (AC1/EQ1- like Indie MMO)

jagd241jagd241 Member Posts: 54

Title:  Project Gorgon

Developers: 

Eric Heimburg (AC1/AC2 Lead Dev/Producer/STO)

Sandra Powers (AC1 Lead Dev/EQ2 Producer)

Art: Currently 3rd Party (thus the kickstarter)

DevDiary:  www.eldergame.com

Gameplay (Alpha):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCWxEZ9mYQU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WZW1jH4WOQ

Latest Gameplay:

http://youtu.be/JF4F5Qpk7TQ

Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1045484633/project-gorgon-an-indie-mmo-by-industry-veterans

What its about:

Project Gorgon is an old-school 'hardcore' MMO.    Currenlty the serverside is already built (though not optimized) as are many of the subsystems.  It is a (mostly) classless game - similiar to AC1 but it has a number of elements from EQ1 including such skills as tracking, feign as well as the the possibility of corpse recovery, vendor diving , EQ1-like zoning (it is an Indie after all) and (most importantly) shared, non-instanced content/dungeons.  

Despite the classless nature of the game which allows you to choose any two learned combat skillsets there are some permanent choices that can be made.  An example of a permanent choice is Lycanthropy:  If cursed with lycanthropy you have one month to remove the curse.  If you fail to remove the curse you are permanently cursed with Lycanthropy which means that for three real-time days every month you're a wolf unable to communicate with most PC/NPC or use items - you can how ever learn Wolf combat skills. 

Significant effort is being given to non-combat skills such as the usual crafting and gathering skills but also unusual skills such as Art Appreciation (see video #1) which allows players to accurately assess the value of looted items.

Currently the biggest need for the game are Art and Animation assets - thus the kickstarter. 

As an example of how unique this game will be, future plans include the ability to sell your soul (as part of the demonology tree), Rakasha and the Dark Geology combat skill.

Anyway, check it out!

Alchemist with Mini-Golem

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

a lot of mention has popped up around here lately, I just started looking into it, why type of pay model is it going to be, as I dont want to kickstart a F2P or current turbine style model?

scratch that question I found my answer on the kickstarter

$5 a month sounds great, going to do some more reading now

is your loot system going to be RNG? or EQ/WOW

• jagd241jagd241 Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

a lot of mention has popped up around here lately, I just started looking into it, why type of pay model is it going to be, as I dont want to kickstart a F2P or current turbine style model?

scratch that question I found my answer on the kickstarter

$5 a month sounds great, going to do some more reading now

Eric was considering FTP for combat skillsets, 5.00/mth for everything else.  But I think that's changing to: FTP to level 20 (or whatever), 5.00/mth  to sub.   The people who want to play this game are going to pay,  the people who don't want to pay wouldn't play anyway.   Really for the AC1/EQ1 crowd - doubt WoW only players will play it.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I read some of this guys design blogs, where he discusses death penalty.

This guy KNOWS HIS STUFF. It's refreshing to see someone making an MMO that actually understands game design and player mentality. He is going to try to dance the balance between encouraging people to work together with a harsh world, but not make it so unforgiving that people rage quit.

I'll toss money towards this project just to get to experience my favorite parts of old MMOs again, diving into DANGEROUS public dungeons, meeting people along the way, and exploring without the need fo a scripted linear storyline. Since DAoC, only Vanguard has given me that feeling.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

added my last edit after you posted, whats the proposed loot system, if I see an AC type system I am in, if its EQ farming same boss for a drop over and over, Ill have to think on it

Originally posted by Myrdynn

added my last edit after you posted, whats the proposed loot system, if I see an AC type system I am in, if its EQ farming same boss for a drop over and over, Ill have to think on it

It's a mix of random and static boss loot - but more random.  So much more AC1 than EQ1.

He advocates a low power curve, so loot is usually differentiated by specialization as opposed to raw power (e.g. +1 sword, +10 v. goblins and +1 sword, +1- v. undead).  However there will be some powerful static loots (see the high end pledge level).

He has a long and rather funny post here->

http://www.eldergame.com/2012/10/the-dangers-of-a-too-statistics-driven-treasure-generator/

Originally posted by DavisFlight

This guy KNOWS HIS STUFF. It's refreshing to see someone making an MMO that actually understands game design and player mentality. He is going to try to dance the balance between encouraging people to work together with a harsh world, but not make it so unforgiving that people rage quit.

Yeah that's exactly what caught my interest too, sure the graphics are sketchy but it looks like the systems are going to be deep, intertwined and encourage community.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

[quote]To make the world feel more immersive, Project: Gorgon revives some great ideas from older MMOs that have been forgotten. For instance, if you have items you don't want, you can toss them on the ground - maybe somebody else will want them. If you sell something to a vendor, those items are available for other players to buy. If you’re on fire and near a lake, jump in the lake to put the fire out![/quote]

I know it seems like such a small thing, but when we started transitioning into the current-day MMO rulesets and whatnot, the loot system and all the restrictions with BOP/BOE and whatnot seemed such a step backwards when compared to a loot system like Asheron's Call where items can be dropped on the ground, vendors carry items sold from players, and so on.

Very excited about this project and all the nods to Asheron's Call.

Originally posted by Synthetick

I know it seems like such a small thing, but when we started transitioning into the current-day MMO rulesets and whatnot, the loot system and all the restrictions with BOP/BOE and whatnot seemed such a step backwards when compared to a loot system like Asheron's Call where items can be dropped on the ground, vendors carry items sold from players, and so on.

I totally agree.  The new games look much better (no doubt) but you pay for those looks with significant restrictions on player freedom :(   And freedom = fun :-)

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by jagd241
    Originally posted by Synthetick

I totally agree.  The new games look much better (no doubt) but you pay for those looks with significant restrictions on player freedom :(   And freedom = fun :-)

Completely agree. All the "little things" that made a game social, free, and immersive, are what have been phased out by modern day WoW clones. All the things that make a game feel special.

Vote for Project Gorgon on Kickassist.     It doesn't cost anything and it will help PG get kickstarted.

http://magicpixelgames.com/kickassist/

Latest developer video:

Environment is looking better and gives  a loot preview (AC/Diablo style).   Needs work on the animations.  Note the lack of question marks over NPCs and the different options for increasing reputation.

http://youtu.be/JF4F5Qpk7TQ

Currently Project Gorgon is up for kickassist http://magicpixelgames.com/kickassist/

Go and vote! It means $500 for PG on kickstarter.  Right now it is only a little behind the leader!

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977
    I've only put out funds for a few Kickstarter projects. A friend's game and OUYA is it really. Gonna go ahead and put a bit of cash towards this and see where it goes.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    It has my vote. Looks interesting except for the fairly bad/dated graphics. But if gameplay is good I can forgive that
    Originally posted by Yizle
    It has my vote. Looks interesting except for the fairly bad/dated graphics. But if gameplay is good I can forgive that

Kickstarter is for graphics - the art I can deal with, it is the animation that needs serious help.