Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The #1 most important thing in an MMORPG

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    It's a great idea in theory, but it would have to be indestructible to avoid obvious grieving and only be allowed in certain area or you will just get property sprawl that would destroy performance and immersion. If you limit to certain areas without instancing then space is limited, and if you don't limit space and don't instance you hit performance issues. Its a good idea but can only work in games that have small populations, ie if a game is good with housing it's catch 22 it can't cope.

You obviously never played SWG.  There was plenty of space for housing.  In fact entire cities sprang up.  They did not create any lag and actually were one of the best points of the game.  

If you want to keep players in a game, non instance housing is a surefire way to do it.  Instanced housing is a joke and the games that bother to have it are pathetic.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

THe most important things in a MMORPG to me are:

1. character development

2. combat

3. community

346. non instanced housing

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by rungard

a world.

I agree. The world, and what can I do in it.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by Razimus

What I consider to be the clear and defining line, defining the bad from the great:

Non-Instanced-Housing 

If the MMO that I'm playing doesn't have it, if the developers don't even know what it is, if the community have never experienced it. Only few, and by few I mean I can only name 2 MMORPGs that have ever even boasted Non-Instanced-Housing, knowing it's rare I'll explain to those who have not experienced it. It is when your house in the game is not a decoration, it is terrain, it directly impacts other players as not only can they see it but they are forced to walk around it, it is as real as the rest of the terrain in the entire game, when you open the door you are *NOT* transported to an imaginary place that only you and invited friends can see, for ALL CAN SEE AT ALL TIMES, NON-INSTANCED-HOUSING defines whether an MMORPG is worth dedicating the time to stay in or not, because most don't have it most aren't worth wasting time on. 

The entire game changes with Non-Instanced-Housing, bad neighborhoods, turf wars, good neighborhoods, alliances, wars, battles, it becomes more than a place to store your crap, it becomes the game itself, property value, real estate, economy, there are so many factors I can't list them all, but when an MMORPG has Non-Instanced-Housing instead of Lame Instanced-Housing, or no housing at all, that game you know is going to be serious, you know a game with Non-Instanced-Housing is going to be kick ass. For those who haven't experienced it are missing A LOT.

I thought it was fun...

So did Arenanet...

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

good, non tupperware pvp

I can count mmos i liked on 1 finger that didnt have this - coh

all the other mmos i liked either had an rvr orientated endgame like daoc or were sandboxes where you managed your own risk like eve.

I really really really dont like raid orientated mmos.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Auzy
    Gonna have to disagree and say its combat....

Combat? Nah.

SWTOR had good combat, yet the game is terrible.

It's a combination is things, e.g., world size, housing, player-driven content, content, end-game, combat, animations, etc.

If I had to say only 1 thing, I would vote for the ability to express yourself. Can I do what I want to do or be what I want to be without being guided the entire time and locked down my story?

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    for me, being able to play with my friends.
  • BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Community. Most new MMO's don't require you to work with other players anymore, except for end game raiding. Which may contribute to why so many people just bounce from MMO to MMO now.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I would have to say No instancing whatsoever would be my main most important feature to have in an mmorpg.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    Non-instanced housing couldn't save vanguard... or SWg...
    it really cool if its there, but its far from necessary...
  • -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    PvP is the most important thing.  If you don't have it then you are playing a single player game.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

In general no, but maybe in certain games. I just cannot fathom the amount of work that would need to be done to be able to handle such capabilities. So you're saying if you took a AAA game with the population similar to something like WoW, it would make the best game in existence? I think not. I can't see the benefit of being able to do it except for having something to show off that people are forced to see AND move around.

The only game I can see this working and making sense is a sand box mmo like Xyson or something where there really is nothing to begin with, but you must recreate civilization... At least that way there's more of a point and it makes sense.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    The most important thing in an MMORPG for me would be the Community. After that the combat/gameplay mechanics. But they both kind of go hand-in-hand. I couldn't play WoW, even if all my friends did. Nor could I play any MMORPG without my friends/spouse.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I will say PvP is #2, or 'Combat', but without Non-Instanced-Housing I won't waste my time and money on any MMORPG no matter how great the combat is.

And i don't care about non-instanced housing. I won't waste my time on games without good combat, and i don't care about non-instanced housing if the combat is fun.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I will say PvP is #2, or 'Combat', but without Non-Instanced-Housing I won't waste my time and money on any MMORPG no matter how great the combat is.

And i don't care about non-instanced housing. I won't waste my time on games without good combat, and i don't care about non-instanced housing if the combat is fun.

You do realise non instanced housing can greatly add to combat right?

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Ok.. then you should play The War of Roses, because in that game combat is fun. Well.. it doesnt have anything else, but the combat is fun.

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

What I consider to be the clear and defining line, defining the bad from the great:

Non-Instanced-Housing 

If the MMO that I'm playing doesn't have it, if the developers don't even know what it is, if the community have never experienced it. Only few, and by few I mean I can only name 2 MMORPGs that have ever even boasted Non-Instanced-Housing, knowing it's rare I'll explain to those who have not experienced it. It is when your house in the game is not a decoration, it is terrain, it directly impacts other players as not only can they see it but they are forced to walk around it, it is as real as the rest of the terrain in the entire game, when you open the door you are *NOT* transported to an imaginary place that only you and invited friends can see, for ALL CAN SEE AT ALL TIMES, NON-INSTANCED-HOUSING defines whether an MMORPG is worth dedicating the time to stay in or not, because most don't have it most aren't worth wasting time on. 

The entire game changes with Non-Instanced-Housing, bad neighborhoods, turf wars, good neighborhoods, alliances, wars, battles, it becomes more than a place to store your crap, it becomes the game itself, property value, real estate, economy, there are so many factors I can't list them all, but when an MMORPG has Non-Instanced-Housing instead of Lame Instanced-Housing, or no housing at all, that game you know is going to be serious, you know a game with Non-Instanced-Housing is going to be kick ass. For those who haven't experienced it are missing A LOT.

i disagree. this doesn't make a better game.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

I would have to say the most important thing in an mmorpg is the player community. Story isn't as important as that can be experienced in offline rpg's. Combat is a vital part of mmo gameplay...or is it? An mmo could be a non combat one like H&H or a tale in the desert but without people, and a good, friendly, helpful community then I don't think an mmo is really special.

It is the community in LOTRO that has made me go back to it numerous times.

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

I would have to say the most important thing in an mmorpg is the player community. Story isn't as important as that can be experienced in offline rpg's. Combat is a vital part of mmo gameplay...or is it? An mmo could be a non combat one like H&H or a tale in the desert but without people, and a good, friendly, helpful community then I don't think an mmo is really special.

It is the community in LOTRO that has made me go back to it numerous times.

This is an ok point and community needs their heros. There needs to be a disparity between haves and have-nots to keep the "plebs" trying. Maybe it's horrible to say.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

And your wrong, PvP keeps coming up as important and countless companies have believed it but the simple fact remains that PvE is what actually sells games. There hasn't been any PvP centric game that was a success. Eve Online comes closest but they are still tiny compared to the PvE giants.

The problem that PvP outside the rigid "all sides the same" structure of FPS, is ALWAYS going to be unbalanced and that means people whine and then leave.

And your wrong about housing too. SWG had it and all it means you had a messy maze around every hub filled with houses of long dead accounts.

The probkem is that giving each player a house in the game world simply means you end up with map that is a suburb. And suburbs are not fun gaming environments.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Gameplay
    Originally posted by sfc1971

And your wrong, PvP keeps coming up as important and countless companies have believed it but the simple fact remains that PvE is what actually sells games. There hasn't been any PvP centric game that was a success. Eve Online comes closest but they are still tiny compared to the PvE giants.

The problem that PvP outside the rigid "all sides the same" structure of FPS, is ALWAYS going to be unbalanced and that means people whine and then leave.

And your wrong about housing too. SWG had it and all it means you had a messy maze around every hub filled with houses of long dead accounts.

The probkem is that giving each player a house in the game world simply means you end up with map that is a suburb. And suburbs are not fun gaming environments.

in pvp people don't leave for imbalance. people leave because the best pvp game's goals have been lofty and engine mechanics don't deliver on massive scale battle. war online was beautiful til there was no support for 200v200. swtor was great til ilum was shit. gw2 wvw is a mess.

someone make an engine to accomodate 300v300wars.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Bikini armor!

Second most important ...

Boobs jiggling physics!

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Lore, Setting & Atmosphere

Yeah, yeah, I know that's more like three things, but the combined effect is what I value the most in any MMO. Maybe just those won't keep me playing a game for a long time, but I surely won't play a game where I feel the above is severely lacking.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Number one thing is fun that lasts.  If non-instanced housing makes the fun last for you, then yep, it's important.

How many games out there have non-instanced housing?  I'd hazard a guess and say that not many of the AAA games do, making shooting the feature way down on the devs totem pole.