Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey - that guy is going to jump from 23 miles up!

124»

Comments

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by defector1968

here is general GAMING discussion,

WTH this doing here?

It is history being made.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

WTH this doing here?

Go away.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

WTH this doing here?

Because Teala knows that stuff posted in the off-topic section doesn't show on the front page ticker ;)

Originally posted by darwa

WTH this doing here?

Because Teala knows that stuff posted in the off-topic section doesn't show on the front page ticker ;)

I just wanted to share this with everyone at MMORPG.com, because I am cool like that.   :)

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I think it speaks volumes when the regulars defend Teala's post.

Don't like it?  Don't read it.  Why post a snooty comment?

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    well swiss are bad ass....
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Earlier in the thread, it was purported by a dull sounding fellow that he did not acheive what he set out to acheive...

Can anyone tell me if that was a lie?  Did he break all the records and do what he wanted to do? Or am I missing something major?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

Earlier in the thread, it was purported by a dull sounding fellow that he did not acheive what he set out to acheive...

Can anyone tell me if that was a lie?  Did he break all the records and do what he wanted to do? Or am I missing something major?

he did not.. he did not break the free fall record think he needed like 15 more seconds or so before he opened his chute to get that record

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023

he broke 4 out of 5 records...

his highest speed was over 1300 km/h

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Originally posted by pauly6478

I think you meant to say from your mothers basement. Guess nothing can be more exciting then mommy bringing you a grilled cheese sandwich.

Straight to the offensive, eh? I won't even... go into this. So wrong.

Originally posted by Sovrath

wow, that's really snobish.

"personally" any time a human stretches him/herself beyond what they are capable of, whether it's creating art, making machines, running a marathon or flying in a wing suit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHlOvhlKPvs

we show what an amazing species we are.

It's all culturally important.

If you didn't notice, I actually watched the jump live. And I even said it was "nice", but I still wouldn't put it near as interesting as say Mars footage etc. However, I agree with your point.

Originally posted by snapfusion

I guess your not much of a projectionist.  Some people have the ability to watch others do something incredible and place themselfs in that persons shoes, thus partially experiencing the range of emotions of the person that is actually doing it.

Actually, I am. At times, that is. That "feat" is kind of required to enjoy any "deeper" drama or plot.

Originally posted by Hokie
    Originally posted by Metanol
    I'm surprised, that was a beautiful jump - he sure had a nice spin going there too. But, oh well.

Im guessing youre talking about your neighbors cat?

Of course I am! Logically, yes, christ... what is it with you people? Seems like these forums are filled with kids these days. Do you all find that -so- offensive if I state my opinion and/or comment on the act in question?

Now, if you watched the feed, you would know what I meant with the "spin", so lets not go into that. However, your "attack" on me was completely uncalled for and just goes to prove how you like to behave.

And lets bring something new to this topic, finally, if I may say so;

Did anyone else notice some major trouble/delay with the communication? Felix didn't seem to answer to some questions at all (while up there, not when jumping.) Anyone want to speculate on the subject?

EDIT (Adding stuff): Now, this would get much more interesting if we were given the precise results/readings of the jump. I believe we can assume -everything- was recorded through his suit, at least that's what the guy speaking during the live feed said.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by pauly6478

I think you meant to say from your mothers basement. Guess nothing can be more exciting then mommy bringing you a grilled cheese sandwich.

Straight to the offensive, eh? I won't even... go into this. So wrong.

Originally posted by Sovrath

wow, that's really snobish.

"personally" any time a human stretches him/herself beyond what they are capable of, whether it's creating art, making machines, running a marathon or flying in a wing suit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHlOvhlKPvs

we show what an amazing species we are.

It's all culturally important.

If you didn't notice, I actually watched the jump live. And I even said it was "nice", but I still wouldn't put it near as interesting as say Mars footage etc. However, I agree with your point.

Originally posted by snapfusion

I guess your not much of a projectionist.  Some people have the ability to watch others do something incredible and place themselfs in that persons shoes, thus partially experiencing the range of emotions of the person that is actually doing it.

Actually, I am. At times, that is. That "feat" is kind of required to enjoy any "deeper" drama or plot.

Originally posted by Hokie
    I'm surprised, that was a beautiful jump - he sure had a nice spin going there too. But, oh well.

Im guessing youre talking about your neighbors cat?

Of course I am! Logically, yes, christ... what is it with you people? Seems like these forums are filled with kids these days. Do you all find that -so- offensive if I state my opinion and/or comment on the act in question?

Now, if you watched the feed, you would know what I meant with the "spin", so lets not go into that. However, your "attack" on me was completely uncalled for and just goes to prove how you like to behave.

And lets bring something new to this topic, finally, if I may say so;

Did anyone else notice some major trouble/delay with the communication? Felix didn't seem to answer to some questions at all (while up there, not when jumping.) Anyone want to speculate on the subject?

EDIT (Adding stuff): Now, this would get much more interesting if we were given the precise results/readings of the jump. I believe we can assume -everything- was recorded through his suit, at least that's what the guy speaking during the live feed said.

All I was trying to do is point out how you were being a hypocrite, your the one who said- "Who cares. I rather watch the neighbours cat..."

Jeeze, its not like I wrote those posts for you....no reason to get defensive.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

For those that missed it, here is a short video from their site which shows pieces of the mission from launch to landing, and includes a nice shot of him jumping out of the capsule as well as a bit of his own camera view as he is falling and spinning out of control:

http://www.redbullstratos.com/gallery/?mediaId=media1900707044001

And here is the info from their blog containing the stats:

Felix during the 2nd manned test jump

“Start the cameras and our guardian angel will take care of you.” Words of wisdom from Col. Joe Kittinger before Felix stepped away from his capsule falling into the stratosphere.

After 9 minutes and 3 seconds (preliminary data) from jump to landing, Felix touched the ground safely with a perfect landing. He kneeled down in celebration of an accomplishment that took extraordinary dedication and  training to get to this day.

Preliminary figures (awaiting official record data)

Altitude reached: 128,097

Total time from jump to landing: 9 min. 3 seconds

Freefall duration: 4 min. 19 seconds

Speed: 1137 km per hour (about 706.5 MPH)

An awesome pic of Felix about to jump:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbw9018nGG1r8rozwo5_r1_1280.jpg?

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by Teala
    Yeah, but it isn't often we get to watch history being made.   :)   So how cool is that?

I am old and have watched lots of history "live", much of which I wish I had not witnessed.

I do think this is a bad-ass jump though.

The jump was really well done.  I have seen many things that made history, but the biggest thing that I witnessed live was when we stepped foot on the moon. I still remember where I was and who I was with.  That blew me away

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Brave, but also kinda horribly dumb. No offense. But the danger was absurdly high! I have a hard time enough facing the dentist. That is bravery enough for me. XD

But, always amazing to what lengths humans can go. :)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Elikal

Brave, but also kinda horribly dumb. No offense. But the danger was absurdly high! I have a hard time enough facing the dentist. That is bravery enough for me. XD

But, always amazing to what lengths humans can go. :)

Well when you think about it.

Flying in an airplane is brave. A simple accident at 5 miles up and youre more or less ****ed.

Driving a car....

Walking out in the rain, who knows if lighting will strike.

Just being outside, what if you get stung by a wasp and youre allergic and you go into anaphylactic shock.

As a matter of fact I think they scrubbed two or three times previous, but my point is they took every precaution that they could.

Life is full of choices and dangers.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• burkhardt5burkhardt5 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if this is on youtue yet?

Paul the WOW nut.