Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of mmorpg would you create? No swords or dragons allowed

ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117

No swords,dragons,magic,shields or wizards.

1. A prison mmorpg

2.A sky diving mmorpg

3.Cowboys vs Indians mmorpg

4.Musical mmorpg Start a rockband 

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

Comments

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Replace swords with lazers and dragons with robots and there ya go!

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

1. A prison mmorpg

2.A sky diving mmorpg

3.Cowboys vs Indians mmorpg

4.Musical mmorpg Start a rockband 

A skydiving MMORPG? How do you level up? Sounds like it might be painful.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I'd create a consensual PVP version of Xsyon with regular live events and an emphasis on roleplay. For the business model I'd go with GW2's as it allows for recouping the expense of developing a more fleshed out and it lets players pay what they want based on how much they are enjoying the game and game community. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DanerilDaneril Member Posts: 41

A sky diving mmorpg? don't see how a sky diving game could be categorized as a mmorpg, especially the rpg part. it would just be a multiplayer sky diving game.

1: One with swords, dragons, magic, shields and wizards

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I'd buy in to the transformers IP and build a Transformers MMO.

That is all.

This have been a good conversation

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

3)  Old west

2)  Star Frontiers IP from then TSR

and................

1) Bond, James Bond.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

During the old west cowboys and indians era, the indians had spears and bows and the cowboys/cavalry had swords and the occasional lance.

No dragons though.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81
    a gundam(or just mech) mmo, fighting in your moblile suit for the sake of the space colonies or the united earth sphere alliance.flying through space and upgrading your mech,mining gundanium for producing parts. wish my dream came true...

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785

Caveman Online!

It's so easy, a caveman can do it.

Once upon a time....

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

the only other thing that would interest me would be a Sci-fi one. Something like EvE but where you can actually go and land/walk on every world/asteroid/space station...and every world would be HUGE, with some of them having actual living creatures and even humanoids/civilizations....

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

A few ideas:

Transformers (stealing tawess idea). Classes depending on what your char transform into (tanks would transform into tanks or bomber airplanes, for example), character creation based on body parts, for example, if you're a car, then the chest piece always forms the front of the car, but you can pick different shapes for the vehicle form which affect how the robot form looks like. Set during the war of cybertron with future expansions adding earth, prehistoric earth (beast wars), post apocalyptic cybertron (beast machines) and so on. Transformation change depending on expansion (sci-fi looking vehicle in first game, earth vehicle in earth expansion, animals on second expansion and so on). Two factions (of course) with full on PvE areas and PvP areas with territory control.

Masters of the Universe. This one goes a little bit against the no dragons and swords rule, but I like the idea because it would mix sci-fi wth fantasy. You would have different clases with the show's characters being your trainers depending on your faction.

Braveheart: Like Masters of the Universe but with a western/sci-fi setting.

Avatar: Not the James Cameron but, but the Last Airbender (note: not the Shamalayan one either). The world is very fleshed out in the series. It would have an open class system but with the different strenghts depending on which nation you are (fire would be more offensive damage based, for example, while air would excel at crowd control).

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Alternate reality Victoriana or early 20th century / steampunk taking in the likes of
    League of extraordinary gentlemen (the books not the shite film)
    Luther arkwright
    Oswald bastable
    His dark materials
    Jules verne
    H g wells

Amongst others
  • BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Sci-fi game with the basic mechanics of SWG-pre NGE. With better graphics and a larger universe to explore.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Sci-fi / cyberpunk (Neocron / PS2 / Anarcy-Online) MMOFPS-sandbox
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

yeah i actually had to think seriously on this as my list is getting short these days

WoD is on the way (hopefully before i have to retire)

MechWarrior is on the way

Only transformers remain.

Or maybe a M.A.S.K Co-Op FPS/Vechicle combat game. (it does not lend it self to large scale battle)

This have been a good conversation

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    A game like mad max would be cool I guess too

Or if anyone remembers the old game interstate 76

Don't know why someone hasn't tried a mmo with a strong driving element, I guess because you move faster the world has to he bigger or something.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Any of you ever read the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley?

I would turn that into an MMO.

Main things it include:

E-branch - aka ESP Branch - think James Bond with psychic / telepathic powers, etc. Things like Necroscopy aka Deadspeak (telepathic communication with the souls of the dead, teleportation via mathematical configurations and the Mobius Continuum, empaths, locaters, shielders, people like Eygor Killglance (able to burst your heart and kill you on the spot with a simple glance)

Cold War type espionage and conflict - Britain & US vs their Russian counterparts (Russia's version of E-Branch as well as the KGB)

Vampires & Werewewolfs - Not the frilly Twilight vampires & werewolves. We're talking disembowling you while ripping your face off and then raping your corpse vampires & wereweolves in all their bloody glory

Lots of cools stuff including our world being connected to another world (where the vampires originally came from) via a portal created in the nuclear reactor meltdown at Chernobyl, which is under the control of the russians, as well as another secret portal which is where the original vampiers that we know of from places like Romania and Transylvania, etc came through long ago. In this other world the vampires rule, and the humans live in small nomadic gypsy tribes who either struggle to survive and hide from the vampires, or surrender to the vampires and sacrifice their own people to appease the vampires.

There are also a lot of ties late ron in the story to  THE original vampire in that world, who is named Shaitan. There was a massive war where the other vampires rose up against Shaitan and sent him through a portal long ago as a form of exile and references to this Shaitan having crossed over into our world and being what we know as Satan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necroscope

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Naruto & Bleach: The Collision of Two Worlds

• JWTunaJWTuna Member Posts: 23

Could make one based on the awesome Reanimator film series.

Kinda 'pet' structured, everyone is a mad scientist (I would be West cus i invented it, biatch), and you have to fudge your creation out of random human body parts, animal corpses, and other assorted materials. But of course, you gotta source them somehow... :)

Game starts at low levels, clumisly murdering stray dogs and hobos to make a basic abomination, and then you use your monster to kill more, "better" people and source better parts to make your monster stronger. You got some pve and pvp right there already! Forgot FFA, in this game if you are PK'd, you get chopped up and stitched into someones random lump of rotten flesh. D:

At high levels, people will be chasing olympic athelete limbs, Stevey Hawkins brain, etc, etc. "I just got my Usain Bolt left leg to +6! Awww yeh!"

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Something based off of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.
  • xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

1) Old west-sandbox

2) Ancient Rome also sandbox-ish

• CorvenDallasCorvenDallas Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Sci-fi / cyberpunk (Neocron / PS2 / Anarcy-Online) MMOFPS-sandbox

+ 1 million this =D (Deus Ex MMO?)

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Of those choices... a Prison MMO.

Lvl 8 1st Degree Murderer LF gang.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    If I was a billionaire I'd make a Farscape MMO.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

The problem I see is this:

1. Take away swords and melee as combat, and you're left with guns.

2. Guns don't translate well with tab-targeting, that leaves third or first person aimed combat.

3. Put hundreds of players into a world with third / first aimed targeting and the players will expect it to be a deathmatch shooter.  That blows PVE.

Without PVE the game ends up as a PVP shooter with territory control, and you lose the PVE'ers expecting to quest-grind, run dungeons, and raid.  They'll yell on the forums that it's not a "real" MMORPG.

What would I create?  Heck if I know.  I've been banging my head on this for a while now.

Would a non-sandbox PVE Sci-Fi MMORPG with first person shooter combat appeal to anyone?  I sort of doubt it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.