Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey - that guy is going to jump from 23 miles up!

Comments

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    That was serious intensity when he was on edge of capsule. The spinning during high altitude fall was their greatest worry beyond the space suit failing and even got a little crazy until straightening it out.

You stay sassy!

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Metanol

"Hey - that guy is going to jump from 23 miles up!"

That's a good topic, but the real question should be; Who Cares?

I'd rather sit in living room for the whole day and stare out of the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of my neighbour's cat walking through my yard. Much more exiting, beautiful and culturally important.

I guess your not much of a projectionist.  Some people have the ability to watch others do something incredible and place themselfs in that persons shoes, thus partially experiencing the range of emotions of the person that is actually doing it.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    I'm surprised, that was a beautiful jump - he sure had a nice spin going there too. But, oh well.

Im guessing youre talking about your neighbors cat?

"That's a good topic, but the real question should be; Who Cares?

I'd rather sit in living room for the whole day and stare out of the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of my neighbour's cat walking through my yard. Much more exiting, beautiful and culturally important."

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
  • thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Thanks for this thread.  There aren't too many chances to watch something so fascinating (and intense) as it happens live.
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    Did he brake the sound barrier?

I think they are confirming it to make it official. But yeah I think he was going 728 mph.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Wow that was insane...imagine being up in that pod looking down right before stepping off...some serious guts on that guy

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Saw it live! it was breathtaking! AMAZING!

It was very scary when he started spining out of control....uff

That guy is insane!!! :D

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Well, look who's mister full package.

For the ladies (and some guys too image) .

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Meh, its time now to do a real jump, get a person with VERTIGO and make em do this jump !!!, they have to look down from the capsule for 5 min before jumping also, just to be sure :P
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

how did they not have a helmet cam

guess the extra $500 at best buy was just outta their budget

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

how did they not have a helmet cam

guess the extra $500 at best buy was just outta their budget

He did have cams....but they were not able to retransmite live...we´ll see all cams & full documentary soon as BBC is making it ;)

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

That was so awesome!!!!!    Admit it, when he was falling at over 700mph and spinning really fast...your heart was pounding...wasn't it.  I know mine was.    That guy is insanely brave.    He did a lot to show that we could probably jump from even higher altitudes and this type of test could prove useful to astronauts. who might have to bail from aborted launches.   It shows that they can jump from those heights.   :)

OMG - so wicked!

Right click image and select view image - you can see the full size..

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

"Hey - that guy is going to jump from 23 miles up!"

That's a good topic, but the real question should be; Who Cares?

I'd rather sit in living room for the whole day and stare out of the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of my neighbour's cat walking through my yard. Much more exiting, beautiful and culturally important.

wow, that's really snobish.

"personally" any time a human stretches him/herself beyond what they are capable of, whether it's creating art, making machines, running a marathon or flying in a wing suit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHlOvhlKPvs

we show what an amazing species we are.

It's all culturally important.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by NBlitz

THis is an awesome gif.   Thanks!

Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by NBlitz

THis is an awesome gif.   Thanks!

You''re welcome!

Originally posted by Zzad

There was a part where Im sure I thought I heard him say he "passed out" or "almost passed out", and the controller saying "speak to me", "say something".

Because my feed was showing him spinning out of control at like 1:28 in the freefall and then it jumped to like the 5 minute mark and he was under contol. So I have this feeling that was blocked in the live feed.

If I remember; that spinning out of control was the most dangerous part of this attempt.

At high-alt with almost no air pressure you cant really control yourself. And if you start spinning, which he did, the g-forces can spin the blood out to your extremtites and cause a person to blackout. And I think thats what nearly happened or did happen.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Hokie

There was a part where Im sure I thought I heard him say he "passed out" or "almost passed out", and the controller saying "speak to me", "say something".

Because my feed was showing him spinning out of control at like 1:28 in the freefall and then it jumped to like the 5 minute mark and he was under contol. So I have this feeling that was blocked in the live feed.

If I remember; that spinning out of control was the most dangerous part of this attempt.

At high-alt with almost no air pressure you cant really control yourself. And if you start spinning, which he did, the g-forces can spin the blood out to your extremtites and cause a person to blackout. And I think thats what nearly happened or did happen.

I think breaking the sound barrier was probably the most dangerous part of the fall. The concussive force can rip you apart.

Optional PvP = No PvP
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

I think breaking the sound barrier was probably the most dangerous part of the fall. The concussive force can rip you apart.

Maybe at sea level, but he was well above that when he hit 729mph.    So I think the effects would be much different in thinner atmosphere - at least I would assume.   Can someone verify this?

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Maybe at sea level, but he was well above that when he hit 729mph.    So I think the effects would be much different in thinner atmosphere - at least I would assume.   Can someone verify this?

"It will take him just 40 seconds to go from zero to 700mph and break the sound barrier at an altitude of around 100,000ft.

No one can be sure what happens when a body breaks the sound barrier at that height, and the possibility of his suit being damaged by supersonic shock waves is another unpleasant 'what if' that Baumgartner’s scientific experts have had to consider."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2217412/Felix-Baumgartner-Supersonic-skydiver-drops-earth-nearly-128-000-feet-Earth.html#ixzz29It0hSFn

Best I could find.

Optional PvP = No PvP

That is correct.

The only reason he reached that speed was because the the lack of air or air pressure.

Terminal velocity for a falling body is only about 120 mph (unless youre going head or feet first) and thats due to the density of the air at lower levels.

So when he broke the sound barrier all he heard was,

nothing. Because there wasnt enough air to make a sonic boom.

Which is why him spinning was so dangerous. Until he was able to get into the lower more dense atmosphere he couldnt recover from his spin. And if he did blackout completely he may not have come to in time to pull his ripcord.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Yea,

If you watch it again.. he speeds up to around 730 mph... normally you see PLANES break the sound barrier, they have that cool ring of air around them.  Because he was so high up he didn't hit it.  You'll notice that right after that, his speed drops to the high 600's.  That's him hitting the beginning of the atmosphere.  It is ALSO what sent him into a spin.  Higher up, even if he held his arms out and flailed, there was nothing there to resist him (therefore no movement but straight down).  If he HADN'T have corrected for the spin, he would have had blood hit his brain and knock him out.  They DID plan for that (just in case his suit ripped) so he had an auto fire on his parachute and he ALSO had a parachute on his boots designed to stop the rotation if it got too bad (they THINK).

OK official numbers!

He jumped from 128,100ft.

He free fell for 4 minutes and 21 seconds.

He reached a top speed of 833mph or mach 1.24! 

He also became the highest balloonist.  128,176 feet (39,068m)

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

here is general GAMING discussion,

WTH this doing here?

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN