Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game sounds like the possible savior to MMOs!

Comments

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    Originally posted by znaiika

Yes, you can explore the whole world of Tamriel without making extra toons.

Doesn't actually say that, and it was confirmed from their official twitter that you cannot go into other faction territory, just your own two or three provinces and cyrodiil (for PvP).  They were very clear.

You don't have to tell me that, I know very well, if you're pvp you can't go to enemy teritory without fear, someone will kill you, but you still can if no one see you or you just ask for permission to enter.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I always think of housing like being in a gated community, make it a world with tons of other houses, that you goto your gate to portal in, should be like 100 houses per gate. 
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Myrdynn
    I always think of housing like being in a gated community, make it a world with tons of other houses, that you goto your gate to portal in, should be like 100 houses per gate. 

It's like this in Lotro. Though it is more like 30 houses per instance.

It is horribad.   Obviously it is dead, even though this instanced gateted place look nice, has public place, NPC's, NPC shops, etc   I saw other person there maybe like 3 times. Of course that person was just running past me. 

Believe me portal straight to instanced house or portal to instanced neighbourhood of houses does not change nothing.  It is still dead and stricly solo-personal experience. 

Nothing I heard so far about TESO sound like "mmo saviour", seriously.

• MercArcherMercArcher Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by fenistil

It is horribad.   Obviously it is dead, even though this instanced gateted place look nice, has public place, NPC's, NPC shops, etc   I saw other person there maybe like 3 times. Of course that person was just running past me. 

Believe me portal straight to instanced house or portal to instanced neighbourhood of houses does not change nothing.  It is still dead and stricly solo-personal experience. 

Your post just further proves that player housing is a completely unneeded feature in MMOs. It is hardly used, and even those who use it profusely us it far less than the rest of the game. Bad logic or no player housing is not needed.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    we shall see...LOVED elder scrolls, but after that it appeared Bethesda just copied and pasted for the next couple games...Im just hoping they can combine sandbox with themepark....always seems to go well when both, not one, are considered

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by MercArcher

Your post just further proves that player housing is a completely unneeded feature in MMOs. It is hardly used, and even those who use it profusely us it far less than the rest of the game. Bad logic or no player housing is not needed.

its used and wanted in every game it seems, just most MMO's do it wrong.

Asheron's Call did it great and that was 10+ yrs ago.  Horizons/Istaria was a dream, SWG was the best all time, I didnt play UO, but housing was a huge feature there. 

Rift is adding it in their expansion as a major feature, and its getting rave reviews, even instanced

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

LOL

not gonna read thru all this thread

but any company who flat out says there will be no housing, not cause we dont want it, but becuase it is too hard? are you kidding me, this company and game has fail all over it

sorry couldnt fix that exploit, was too hard, if you buy more gems at the store it will help you

Think TESO is going to be a sub game. No gem buying/gold buy bull.

as far as the other stuff? idk lol.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I read the title of this threadand my 1st thought was "Another one?" (MMO Savior) Maybe we should take a lesson from religious history. Let the genre die 1st. THEN maybe we can get the savior from the resurrection.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Yes, you can explore the whole world of Tamriel without making extra toons.

Doesn't actually say that, and it was confirmed from their official twitter that you cannot go into other faction territory, just your own two or three provinces and cyrodiil (for PvP).  They were very clear.

You don't have to tell me that, I know very well, if you're pvp you can't go to enemy teritory without fear, someone will kill you, but you still can if no one see you or you just ask for permission to enter.

Wrong.  Everyone is PvP.  You aren't forced to PvP but if you enter Cyrodiil you are automatically PvP.  This isn't SWG, where you can unflag yourself, or choose not to join a faction. 

If you are in the Daggerfall Convenant (which you automatically are if you choose Breton, Orsimer or Redguard) you will only ever see the provinces oh High Rock, Hammerfell and Cyrodiil.  You can not cross into another faction's province.  It's that simple, and that stupid.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

Wrong.  Everyone is PvP.  You aren't forced to PvP but if you enter Cyrodiil you are automatically PvP.  This isn't SWG, where you can unflag yourself, or choose not to join a faction. 

[mod edit]

There is no automatic pvp in Tamriel, pvp is an option, if you want to pvp? join any of three alliances, then you will be pvp flagged, if you don't do that you won't be pvp flagged and you will be able to visit all prvinces.

Read post # 178 again.

[mod edit]

There is no automatic pvp in Tamriel, pvp is an option, if you want to pvp? join any of three alliances, then you will be pvp flagged, if you don't do that you won't be pvp flagged and you will be able to visit all prvinces.

No, you do not "join an alliance" you make a character.  Your race automatically assigns you to the alliance. 

If you are a Dark Elf, Nord or Argonian, you are automatically assigned, right out of character creation, to the Ebonheart pact.

If you are Orc, Redguard or Breton, you are automatically assigned, right out of character creation, to the Daggerfall Covenant.

If you are High Elf, Wood Elf or Khajiit, you are automatically assigned, right out of character creation, to the Aldmeri Dominion.

You have no choice beyond that.

I understand how you might think I'm trolling, due to how moronic this approach is, but that's how they're doing it.

As for automatic PvP, you flag for PvP by going into Cyrodiil, but everywhere else you will only be among your race-locked allies.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Instanced housing is fluff.  Simple as that. It can be nice feature and some people might like it, but that's it.

Open world housing CAN be, does not have to be, but can have some function beside fluff, and of course it impacts world by existing itself (creating cities, etc).

TESO won't have housing though or just only instanced, so.  Of course I have nothing against Zenimax instanced housing - I just don't care about it.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Don't let the hype let you get ahead of yourself, they made it clear what type of MMO it would be when they first announced it thinking the reaction would be joy and celebration, and not the backlash it was.  This game is being made to the drum of share holders. When share holders are involved these days there is no risk taken,especially on innovation.

I still get the impression it's a money grab on the IP.  I think  an Elders Scroll MMO should be made like it's a much improved Darkfall, and by that I mean one big smealess world, realtime interaction with the world , realtime combat, PVE mobs that don't just stand there, flying npc dragons protecting areas, sailing the seas, naval combat and player towns and villages to cities. Who knows what's going on now after the backlash, a lot may have been scraped and started again for all we know. I hope so! Because the Elders Scroll online they first pitched was chasing WOW and not going out there on it's own IP legs.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

Don't let the hype let you get ahead of yourself, they made it clear what type of MMO it would be when they first announced it thinking the reaction would be joy and celebration, and not the backlash it was.  This game is being made to the drum of share holders. When share holders are involved these days there is no risk taken,especially on innovation.

I still get the impression it's a money grab on the IP.  I think  an Elders Scroll MMO should be made like it's a much improved Darkfall, and by that I mean one big smealess world, realtime interaction with the world , realtime combat, PVE mobs that don't just stand there, flying npc dragons protecting areas, sailing the seas, naval combat and player towns and villages to cities. Who knows what's going on now after the backlash, a lot may have been scraped and started again for all we know. I hope so! Because the Elders Scroll online they first pitched was chasing WOW and not going out there on it's own IP legs.

That game would bomb if designed like that.

Sure its a moneygrab, but a moneygrab with very influential ramifications.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Fagmod
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Then what is your argument if not size, when you are locked out of 2 of the 3 factions areas?   Cause I sure as hell dont understand what your saying. You just answered your own question in that first sentence. Locking out 2/3 of the PvE world is a horrible idea, no matter what the size is. How can this be so difficult to understand?  OK let me try it like this, you want to be able to explore all 3 factions areas right?  regardless of size this isnt feasible in a 3 faction RvR game.  The whole notion of restricting players from seeing other factions in the PvE world is a trademark of the DAoC RvR system. Yes, and that right there makes it a really fucking bad idea. You get RvR while losing 2/3 of the PvE area (without alts), that's a horrible trade-off. Listen I understand you dont like it, but you cant have cooperation or open world ganking PvP in that system because of unintended consequences.  Still They could eventually move to a Mordred/Andred style system but I wouldnt count on it because Open World PvP is and always will remain a niche target audience. 

Where the fuck did I say anything about open world PvP? I said that the only thing that would change is that instead of factions, you would have guilds. Try to get it through your head this time and stop putting words into my mouth.

I hear Darkfall is releasing a new title which might be up your ally. Darkfall does only one thing well, mass combat. Other than that it's a mediocre game.

Ok I'll forget size, however I dont understand your argument from a non-size implication.  Restricting the player from 2 of the 3 factions zones is about what then? 2/3 out of anything is considered a large portion, no matter what the size is. It's basic math really.  You can still have a large world size in the DAoC model while restricting access so size is irrellevant. Yes size is irrelevant. Tamriel however is not irrelevant and one of the biggest selling points for this game is that players get to experience all of it. Except they can't, not without alts.  You also move all PvP to a zone or zones where PvP is consentual and you split the PvE and PvP crowd without having to have seperate servers (like WoW) or relying on isntanced battleground style PvP.  The whole argument for 3 faction RvR is first to promote cooperation, unity and community amongst the factions and give them a goal to work for.  The 3rd faction is there to limit the overopoulated size from having an indefinite population advantage whereby 2 factions (the lower populated factions) can routinely hit the highest populated faction creating a quasi-partnership. Or you just get rid of the shitty tradeoff (the 2/3PvE area) altogether with guilds. Pretty simple really. You get all the same shit that you get with factions plus much more depth with politics etc.

I'll forgo the condenscencion and obvious breech of MMORPG's TOS and not report you because I want to have an honest and open debate. Those were honest questions, I honestly can't understand how you can have such difficulties to understand what I'm writing. My english ain't that bad, nor is my writing that cryptic, and you obviously know the language too. So that leaves me puzzled about what the problem is. With that being said, could you do a TES game like what you describe and have guilds be the ad-hoc factions? Of course, but then the game would suffer as a result because of all the issues with community and unity that a faction specific game can convey and in the long run, this style turns into nothing more then a WoW clone be default. You mean like EVE has turned into a WoW clone and has no community to speak of? Your whole argument has zero basis.

They do, from the lore to the open world exploration. A world where your toon is cut off from roughly half of the world is anything but open, sorry.  Even Todd Howard has stated on several occasions, TES has always been about freedom and open world sandbox elements. Exactly, so why TESO then?  For one, theres no reason to suggest that any other form of PvP is more TES like then another. Of course there is, when the chosen system goes against maybe the biggest feature that TES has, freedom to go anywhere you like.  Nor is it out of the realm of lore to suggest that Tamriel could of gone this route in the first place due.  For one, every TES game has been 1 zone/world of Tamriel but then again I dont see you bitching about not being able to play in Morrowind while Playing the Skyrim RPG.  So why is it so hard to fathom not being able to play in Morrowind if you chose to play a member of the Daggerfall Convenant?  [mod edit]

Seriously, think about it...Please!  I boot up the game Skyrim, why cant I go play in Morrowind or Oblivian there?  Why the outrage when the SAME EXACT line of reasoning is ported to MMO then all of a sudden you and everyone whos mad gets pissed.  It makes no sense to me.  So in conclusion until I see an online petition to Bethesda to open up the entire continent of Tamriel in each single player RPG then you have no valid argument.

Really? You can't come up with a better argument than that? I would be ashamed to write bullshit like that.

The biggest selling point to TESO is I get to play an Elder Scrolls MMO.  Doesnt mattter where its at.  I want to revisit Oblvian therefore I will play a Dunmer.  Simple as that.  So who freaking cares If I cant also play in Hammersfell or Elysweyr.  Could care less if I am restricted to any other zone.  If I wanted to play those other zones (which I dont) I would make a different faction character.

I never saw a Hibernian Bitch because they couldnt travel to Albion.  Same principle here.  Your all wound up over somethign no one cares about, except you.

DAoC is just one method, and dare I say an amazing method at that, that promotes community and teamwork with a faction system.  The same can be said for WoW, I know of no one who complains they cant group with the opposing faction.  Factions foster so much more community, yes even more so then games like Eve where guilds are the only thing that matter.  TESO isnt a political game, it doesnt feature subterfuge and open ended conflicts liek you want the game to portray.  It is a RvR based PvP game designed to foster community and teamwork because the RvR zone is large and the only way to win is to work together.  It stands to reason that having a siege type PvP system designed with faction specific elements to foster those elements in its PvE model.

You also fail to understand the underlying issues with having a realm wide goal without having the realm wide elements to foster that feel.  As stated, faction specifics is jsut one of many ways to get to that point.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

Finally someone is starting from scratch, making their own MMO game engine. Being able to fully controll everything about their own engine will be refreshing over the limitations of recent MMOs.

Three faction PvP is back! DAoC is the undesputed open world PvP game and it hasn't been sucessfully copied yet. With the lead developer of DAoC being the lead developer here I think we have a chance!

The stamina system is quite possibly the most interesting PvP mechanic i've seen in a LONG time. I'm really looking forward to it it adds a large amount of depth.

Fully voiced, dynamic content. SWTOR started the fully voiced, and add in GW2 dynamic system and you have a great questing system.

Ultimate Skills are another wonderful ideas. 0 mana, 0 CD skills that become castable from how you do in combat? I love it!

Back to the trinity. After GW2 we learned that the trinity exsists for a reason. They are trying to keep a similar action feel while going back to the method that works.

"BRD style Instances" Gone are the days of linear instances. Go where you want mazes with multiple paths!

Not a wow-clone. They aren't doing the mistake of so many MMOs recently of copying WoW. Granted WoW was a great game, but if people wanted to play wow they would play wow.

From the information released so far this sounds like it has the possibility to be one amazing game. I'm really looking forward to following the development and trying the betas.

Dont drag us into your delusional world. There is no savior, there will never be. Its your own fault for beliving so. Its like buying a apple product and realize: the hell, i dont need this crap at all.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Building everything from scratch, including the engine, is a bad idea. Period. Every game I remember that did this sucked in this department (LotROs handmade animations [while the world engine from DDO rocked], SWTORs iteration of the hero engine, Everquest 2...)

All the games that used proven and working engines, like Aion, WoW, Rift, GW2 work like a charm.

Just saying

M

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Meridion

Building everything from scratch, including the engine, is a bad idea. Period. Every game I remember that did this sucked in this department (LotROs handmade animations [while the world engine from DDO rocked], SWTORs iteration of the hero engine, Everquest 2...)

All the games that used proven and working engines, like Aion, WoW, Rift, GW2 work like a charm.

Just saying

M

???

Blizzard made their own engine for WoW, they have used in-house engines for each of their titles for a long time and tend to build code off each game for their next one. Titan for example is being built on an extensively recoded WoW engine.

Same with the Guild Wars 2 engine, made by Arenanet based on the engine (that they also built) for Guild Wars.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

That there is the important bit: the devs/execs gave an unvarished, truthful description of what was coming, before all the "PR coaching" and spin, and releases from the marketing department. That was the truth of it, not the backpedaling and spin control we have been getting since the backlash.

And that is why I have very little hope for this game.

• ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Another swords and dragons mmorpg, how refreshing.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    If there's a sub fee, I'll skip this game.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Two bad things happening in this thread:

• Similarities to previous games, automatic winner.
    • Similarities to previous games, automatic loser.
    In other words, the usual hype and anti-hype (anti-hype follows the same rules as hype, except for adopting "doom" as the automatic rather than "win").

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110
    Originally posted by Icewhite

In other words, the usual hype and anti-hype (anti-hype follows the same rules as hype, except for adopting "doom" as the automatic rather than "win").

Sadly, thats what you get on these kinds of forums. To actually discuss the basis of the game you need to go to a dedicated forum.

Originally posted by Sicae

Sadly, thats what you get on these kinds of forums. To actually discuss the basis of the game you need to go to a dedicated forum.

Guess you haven't been to the bethsoft TESO forum.  It's pretty much all brown-nosing there, no real discussion, just a bunch of moronic threads like this OP, and when people do voice concerns they are battered by blind fanboyism and eventually banned.

Originally posted by Sicae

Guess you haven't been to the bethsoft TESO forum.  It's pretty much all brown-nosing there, no real discussion, just a bunch of moronic threads like this OP, and when people do voice concerns they are battered by blind fanboyism and eventually banned.

Theres a huge difference between "brown-nosing" and looking forward to the game and discussing things they like.  Its painfully obvious you hate the game so your view is and will always be skewed toward that.  Where you see doom, shitty gameplay, and fanbois brown-nosing. the actual players lookiing forward to a title see optimism and civil discussion.  If you were to take off those blinders you would see there is passionate discussion and some disagreement amongst the poptential playerbase. 

It is forums such this where you get the heated, troolish and ignorant players who refuse to see through anything other then their own jaded, dellusional world view and as such it is forums such as these that leave me to suspect that haters, trolls and flamers are the majority of opposite side as opposed to the simple person who disagrees with a games premise, voices it, and moves along never to care again.  In a sense, it is forums posters such as yourself who refuse to either, remove oneself from the discussion, or become rationale in their discourse.  The haters of a game will always drown out the fanbois and IMO are a million times worse then the latter.

Do yourself a favor, remove yourself from the TESO discussion, and leave the game for fans.  Nothing will change and you have no reason to be here, unless you draw thrills from flaming, trolling and making others pissed at silly remarks.  It would be so much better for the MMORPG.com community as a whole if less people would voice their displeasure of a game and do it once and move on but leave the bulk of the discussion to people who are looking forward to that title.