Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim Hearthfire - a glimpse what MMOs need?

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I know, there are the power zerger who just want to KILL STUFF in MMOs, and that's fine with me. But ever since I spent years in building my house in EQ2, I missed that, and missed being connected to the world in MMOs. I know how after EQ2 and SWG (my big SWG manor in our very alife player city... *sob*) I just could not play WOW at all; and my personal reason was, that I felt like a homeless. In EQ2 and SWG I *always* went back into my home after a longer play session or finishing an area. It was a sort of ritual. I logged out "at home". I gradually got larger homes, and I placed all my trophies in it. In SWG had even had a big ingame marriage with another player, we built our manor together in our guild's player city. Sigh.

Now I have "played" the new DLC for Skyrim, Hearthfire. Now by itself there wasn't much to do, tho I felt it was worth the 4,99 Euro. I built a wonderful, large house overviewing a lake, I invited my husband into it, hired a steward, a bard and worked very hard to create all the furniture and shrines and gather all my many trophies and place them there. Finally I did what I had wished to do for a LONG time, I got two kids out of this horrible Orphanage and had two kids, which I pampered with toys and gifts and sweets. Oh and I managed to get two dogs as well. It didn't "do" anything, but it sorta filled me with glee, and made the game round.

I really miss that in MMOs. When I ran through Guild Wars II, often I wished I had a house for trophies, a NPC hubby and could adopt some of these super cute kids, and I would always bring them some exciting stuff and tales from my adventures.

But I guess that's just silly me... :I

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by Elikal

Now I have "played" the new DLC for Skyrim, Hearthfire. Now by itself there wasn't much to do, tho I felt it was worth the 4,99 Euro. I built a wonderful, large house overviewing a lake, I invited my husband into it, hired a steward, a bard and worked very hard to create all the furniture and shrines and gather all my many trophies and place them there. Finally I did what I had wished to do for a LONG time, I got two kids out of this horrible Orphanage and had two kids, which I pampered with toys and gifts and sweets. Oh and I managed to get two dogs as well. It didn't "do" anything, but it sorta filled me with glee, and made the game round.

wtf?....you play mmos to be a house wife?....:S....

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Seems some what on the whacked side to me as well. But to each their own i guess...

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Yeah, that small expansion to Skyrim really made a big difference in the game for me. I loved building a house tailored to what my character needs.

I have taken a short break since the Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 is finally complete and I'm so happy exploring in Morrowind once again.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

Funny stuff lol.. Made me spit out my drink :))

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I think the point he was making is that many many people enjoy housing in MMO's. And maybe the Devs should work to add that feature.

At least that is what I got out of it.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Get a dollhouse.

Then again getting a dollhouse for under 5$ is kind of impossible nowadays, even under 55$ if you include your Skyrim purchase.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

To be totally blunt, yes. Partially. I am a single most of my life without family and kids and never will, so pretenting that in a game has the appeal of pseudo-life. It roots me in a virtual game world. Call me a fool, but it always "aww's" me. ^^()

I mean, isn't it why all the nerds play hero? To pretend what we do not have in the dull everyday life? ;)

Originally posted by AdamTM

Get a dollhouse.

Then again getting a dollhouse for under 5$ is kind of impossible nowadays, even under 55$ if you include your Skyrim purchase.

I don't want a dollhouse by itself! Ok, having played Sims 2 for years, maybe I do. But that's not the point. The point is, I want my MMO heroes to have a home. Not just a house, a home, ideally in a player city, maybe with NPC family option. Something to make me feel connected to the game world.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785

Yes I want a home. I also like to be able to display things that are symbols of past accomplishments. And I love the idea of work shops in your abode as well, or merchants shops.

I think homes should be centers of what you do. And being able to work together as a guild to build something used as a headquarters and meeting hall, asset allocation place, etc., would be a big thing in helping to keep players too, I would think.

Expand that to allow players to build villages, expanding to cities, and add the political controls and worldly reasons for players to have an advantage in doing so (defense walls to ward off MOBs, safety, etc.).

Then add yet more, strategy game style constuctions to add benefits to your homes, guildhouses, villages, and cities.

Then add yet more, resource centers linked somehow to you homes, guildhouses, villages, or cities.

Player houses are just the beginning. image

Once upon a time....

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    I never cared about housing. They serve no function other than as a trophy. If you actually were dependant on it for shelter and it was interactive beyond fluff then that would be another matter
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

To be totally blunt, yes. Partially. I am a single most of my life without family and kids and never will, so pretenting that in a game has the appeal of pseudo-life. It roots me in a virtual game world. Call me a fool, but it always "aww's" me. ^^()

I mean, isn't it why all the nerds play hero? To pretend what we do not have in the dull everyday life? ;)

That was such a cool and sincere response that I had to double check I was still on the MMORPG.com forums.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    I agree with the OP. Housing is content IMO, at least it was in the games that I've played that done it right. I'd spend a good few hours every so often customizing and decorating my house in UO and EQ2. 
    Originally posted by Starpower
    I never cared about housing. They serve no function other than as a trophy. If you actually were dependant on it for shelter and it was interactive beyond fluff then that would be another matter

Is it in Skyrim. You're home can be attacked. The land plots are placed just close anough to hostile mobs that there is a chance of conflict.

I was attacked while building my home....twice.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

That was such a cool and sincere response that I had to double check I was still on the MMORPG.com forums.

Yep. But it's also very much relevant to MMORPGs. I believe most of us are acting out some form of what we wish could be in RL, one way or another.

For me, it's the adventure. I don't want to risk my life in RL for great adventure with low chances of meaningful success. But it's fun in an artificial world where if I die I just reboot.

Once upon a time....

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158

I see what you are saying. And I agree.

You crave a more virtual/sim experience in addition to the standard mmorpg fair that is popular right now.

Isn't it funny how mmorpg's have developed? From more depth and freedom to less. You would think it would be  the reverse.

Originally posted by gieger808

Isn't it funny how mmorpg's have developed? From more depth and freedom to less. You would think it would be  the reverse.

Player demand is a powerful thing.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Well it is a Role Playing Game, why not?

• gieger808gieger808 Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

I know right, welcome to the age of instant gratification gaming. sigh.

I weep for the future of mankind. And mmorpg gaming.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Even though I'm coming to the realisation that I don't want a Virtual World per se but I do want depth and freedom and MMO's have lost a lot of this over the years. And it seems to have come about from the mainstream coming in a demanding change that developers listened to as thats where the money is. So I understand the desire for Housing and non-combat content even if I don't want it myself as it adds to the depth of the game but the mainstream audience doesn't understand this and just says no feck off you big girls blouses, Housing is so GHEY!

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Thanks for the laugh, the most clueless response I have seen in a while.  Nothing wrong with doing something other than constant combat.  Players that do, soon move on to the next killing field game.  Players like her, stick around a while.  She is the player the developers should be concentrating on, not the guy who kills everything in sight, gets bored with it and moves on to the next game.

Non instanced housing, which can't be found in any modern day MMO, is a real plus to people who play the whole game.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Thanks for the laugh, the most clueless response I have seen in a while.  Nothing wrong with doing something other than constant combat.  Players that do, soon move on to the next killing field game.  Players like her, stick around a while.  She is the player the developers should be concentrating on, not the guy who kills everything in sight, gets bored with it and moves on to the next game.

Non instanced housing, which can't be found in any modern day MMO, is a real plus to people who play the whole game.

Not that it matters but "she" is a he

Yup, players have no one but themselves to blame for the state of MMOs.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I see what you are saying. And I agree.

You crave a more virtual/sim experience in addition to the standard mmorpg fair that is popular right now.

Yeah.  In the end of XX century when I was playing first mmorpg I was naive enough that I was thinking how more depth, compexity, freedom (with constraints to not ruin game), etc  future mmoprpg's will have.  
    Here are we now.  2012 and trend is to make nice looking slashers and not much more :)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I know, there are the power zerger who just want to KILL STUFF in MMOs, and that's fine with me. But ever since I spent years in building my house in EQ2, I missed that, and missed being connected to the world in MMOs. I know how after EQ2 and SWG (my big SWG manor in our very alife player city... *sob*) I just could not play WOW at all; and my personal reason was, that I felt like a homeless. In EQ2 and SWG I *always* went back into my home after a longer play session or finishing an area. It was a sort of ritual. I logged out "at home". I gradually got larger homes, and I placed all my trophies in it. In SWG had even had a big ingame marriage with another player, we built our manor together in our guild's player city. Sigh.

I really miss that in MMOs. When I ran through Guild Wars II, often I wished I had a house for trophies, a NPC hubby and could adopt some of these super cute kids, and I would always bring them some exciting stuff and tales from my adventures.

But I guess that's just silly me... :I

Nope its not you being silly, it is one of the greatest selling points to having meaningful housing.  Having housing even close to that magnitute kept me playing and subscribed to Asherons Call for 4 straigt years.  Anytime a feature that keeps me paying money every month just to log in for an occasional hour here or there to keep maintenance and upkeep upto date on my Villa has to count for soemthing in the grand scheme of things.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828
     (my big SWG manor in our very alife player city... *sob*) I just could not play WOW at all; and my personal reason was, that I felt like a homeless. In EQ2 and SWG I *always* went back into my home after a longer play session or finishing an area. It was a sort of ritual. I logged out "at home". I gradually got larger homes, and I placed all my trophies in it. In SWG had even had a big ingame marriage with another player, we built our manor together in our guild's player city. Sigh.

Funny thing. There was a time when I enjoyed it too. But ever since I've got a wife in real world (and some lovers, of which wife generally does not approve, but what can she do, eh) I'm generally pretty busy with complex relationships of my life to bother with same thing online.

And there is, you know, building your own house in real life. It's actually not that much harder than mmorpg, and you get more satisfaction out of it. Do you know that with just some wiring and a bit of modern easy-to-use building materials you just can, for example, build your own lightning scheme in the house? I've built a complex structure made of point sources of light and glowing tubes in my room, which I can alter using a number of freakishly cheap reostates (not sure how it is in English) and generally build the light sources and shadows accordingly to my mood; add to that interesting experimental color schemes, I had to try a number of them before I was satisfied, and that's freakishly beautiful to look at and to live in. And the resolution is amazing!

And all it took me was a little more than a month and some DIY instructions in the intertubes. Well, that and being careful with electricity, you have to remember that slow and steady lives to see tomorrow, eh? :) Just joking. :)

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

i dont care too much for personal housing but i really wish that more effort would be put into guild halls and player owned taverns and shops.

they add far more to the games than a players house. Im certainly not aginst them, i just think shared type structures are more important for mmo's.