Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is so good...

7star7star Member Posts: 405

...that the server I'm on is almost empty. I have to be honest. But I'm still having fun.

I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but think about how many records Justin Bieber sells, or how many meals McDs sells and you will understand. There just aren't so many people playing mmorpgs now that can appreciate a game with quotes from James Joyce and Friedrich Nietzsche in the storyline. It's amazing and difficult and substantial. 

If this game goes down, I'm going down with it. I love TSW. I have a lifetime sub, and I'm glad.  I'm not saying this game is "perfect."  But people have been asking for something different and if you like pve and instances, this game is very good -- with it's differences. If you are tired of cliche, then this game is has created something that's never been seen before in the mmorpg space. If you have some friends to play with, I think it would be a lot of fun. I'm still having fun solo. I just miss the days right after launch when there were a lot of people running around.

My biggest complaints about TSW center around pvp. But I believe FC will do their best to address this. There is a lot of potential for pvp with 3 factions and an amazing world and lore. It needs to be taken care of.

If this game is profitable for FC, I'm really glad. If you look at my post history, you will see that I'm not a fanboi of any game. I basically enjoy a lot of games. But I think what FC did with TSW is really special. If you haven't tried it out, then there is a 3-day trial. I think it's worth checking out.

Comments

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608

The problem is now that once you have tried GW2, you just dont want to pay a sub fee to these games that just dont address the issues the players have.

GW2 offers the same and so much more for no monthly sub. I dont know wether its their games or if FC just cant cut it. But I see TSW going the same route as AOC. FC new this would happen, so they attempted to suck as many life subs in as possible at the start.

GW2 may crash burn some day, but really any new and old mmo is due the same out come these days because I think its us the player that are running them down. Is that because we just have to many choose from these days or because really we just need to move on and stop beliving there is a big fat pot of gold at the end of every tunnel.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by coxyroxy

The problem is now that once you have tried GW2, you just dont want to pay a sub fee to these games that just dont address the issues the players have.

GW2 offers the same and so much more for no monthly sub. I dont know wether its their games or if FC just cant cut it. But I see TSW going the same route as AOC. FC new this would happen, so they attempted to suck as many life subs in as possible at the start.

GW2 may crash burn some day, but really any new and old mmo is due the same out come these days because I think its us the player that are running them down. Is that because we just have to many choose from these days or because really we just need to move on and stop beliving there is a big fat pot of gold at the end of every tunnel.

GW2 isn't really relevant to the original point that the OP was trying to make. TSW is a bit of an overlooked gem. GW2 is a fantastic game, but there are a number of things that TSW does better.

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

Quests in TSW is very unique. Gw2 are not even close to that. Gw2 is great yes, but saying that gw2 got it all is a lie. 

I really think TSW did something special with the quests, which i hope other mmo's will look at. 

I haven't played TSW for some time now, but i think i will return in a near future. 

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

15 bucks is like a pocket change. I spend more on coffee everyday where as MMOS give me entertainment for whole month. 

Even though GW2 is completely ir relevant to what OP said  i will bite. GW2 doesn't offer same game experince. It is a MMO designed for mass consumption. Where as TSW aimed for niche player base with its settings and slow and relaxed approach towards progression and meta game.

Two very different type of MMOS made for two very different type of player base.

When head honcho of Anet says that their aim is to beat WOW in sales, i think we know the philosophy behind such a game. You can not even compare it to games like TSW.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

sorry i dont agree..i think tsw is a way better game.gw2 to me is more of the same..i could'nt get past lvl 33 .it just bored the hell out of me.has for the sub fee well i,m a believer that you get what you pay for.not too mention that inthe end gw2 will probably end up costing you more than a sub fee.and anyone who believes that you will get massive content updates for free are deluded.Anet like every other company are in it for the money.i bought a lifetime to tsw and dont regret it for a second.but when all said and done each people have their own personal choices i guess.for me tsw wins hands down.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Unique quests make for a good single player game, but not so much for a MMORPG. Toss in standard dungeon/gear grinding end game and pointless PVP and you can see why you are running around in an empty game world.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

You may see more players after a big patch or expansion, or when game becomes F2P.  After players experience the content and hit the gear grind wall, they just go away. It's the way it is.

Edit: and this game doesn't have classes, so pretty much you are done with one toon. This game needs more content.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Unique quests make for a good single player game, but not so much for a MMORPG. Toss in standard dungeon/gear grinding end game and pointless PVP and you can see why you are running around in an empty game world.

This basically + fast "levelling".   People are in instances.  It is really pointless to expect a people in open world in that kind of game.  WoW is played by 10 million people and still everywhere aside of end-game zones, major cites and maybe starter zones in some servers you won't see much people.   In many servers you won't see any for DAYS.   (aside of fresh post expansion release time).

Why?  Because those games are made that way.  They are MEANT to be played in instances. Open world was reduced to series of maps you relatively quickly finish. Frequently solo as well.

Anyone who wants to see people in open world and have 'living world' have to play games that don't focus on instances so much.  Other thing is that there is not much games like that :)

• BronqBronq Member Posts: 5

It would be great if you could introduce a housing system like in Anarchy Online. Imagine a whole real life city where people could have apartments and buy all sorts of things. It's something a lot of people want, but few actually verbalizes it.

And the subscription fee is pocket change (although I admit I would like to see a more flexible subscription model), considering that Funcom does not intend to spam expansion packs you have to buy. This "free to play" hysteria is more like a consumer's illusion where the player is lead to believe that he's made a true bargain and that he enjoys a game for free. 

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

kidding, right?

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

I have to quote the guy who made the infamous Gw2 vs. WoW review on youtube.

"Games today are made for morons"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmScXMVUuDM&t=24m03s

There you have your reason why TSW doesn´t have 2 million+ players ( same goes for EvE)

TSW and EvE  aren´t designed for "morons"

• EscadaEscada Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by 7star

...that the server I'm on is almost empty. I have to be honest. But I'm still having fun.

I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but think about how many records Justin Bieber sells, or how many meals McDs sells and you will understand. There just aren't so many people playing mmorpgs now that can appreciate a game with quotes from James Joyce and Friedrich Nietzsche in the storyline. It's amazing and difficult and substantial. 

If this game goes down, I'm going down with it. I love TSW. I have a lifetime sub, and I'm glad.  I'm not saying this game is "perfect."  But people have been asking for something different and if you like pve and instances, this game is very good -- with it's differences. If you are tired of cliche, then this game is has created something that's never been seen before in the mmorpg space. If you have some friends to play with, I think it would be a lot of fun. I'm still having fun solo. I just miss the days right after launch when there were a lot of people running around.

My biggest complaints about TSW center around pvp. But I believe FC will do their best to address this. There is a lot of potential for pvp with 3 factions and an amazing world and lore. It needs to be taken care of.

If this game is profitable for FC, I'm really glad. If you look at my post history, you will see that I'm not a fanboi of any game. I basically enjoy a lot of games. But I think what FC did with TSW is really special. If you haven't tried it out, then there is a 3-day trial. I think it's worth checking out.

And don't forget Karl Marx too. 

It is a genuine curiosity that the game hasn't been more successful and as we move forward to raiding I am struggling to recruit players to the cabal to make sure we have a solid core team moving forward (plug plug).  TSW isn't perfect but it does offer a very original game and a story and character immersion that is second to none.  I have had my run-ins with bugs and some frustrations but it really captured my imagination.  It does ask you to think which might make some people uncomfortable, and I dont say that to troll.

Where the game is weak is PvP and there is so little else to constructively criticise I feel that Funcom might have underestimated the importance of getting that right.  Fusang suffered performance problems at the start and queues for Stonehenge and Eldorado were buggy making it somewhat painful.  And whilst I continue to play Fusang I have completely lost faith in queuing and playing the other PvP areas.  That isn't good.  I remember listening to a dev podcast before they had their employee cull and I think it was Joel Bylos who commented not to get upset about loosing in PvP.  This from my view is a mistaken idea to have because there are many players who want to PvP and dont like loosing to someone else because of unfairness or a balance issue.   

I was dissapointed when I learned that there would be no world PvP and whilst I have continued to enjoy the game in its absence I think this is yet another area that could have negatively impacted on the game.  For a start it gives players a way to engage in spontaneous play not scripted via quests and it would have prolonged the time required for players to get through the content.  At present factions seem pointless and I think that this area of the game does need development.

The MMO community seems to be fickle and move on to the next best thing at the drop of a hat or at any perceived 'fail'. I'd ask all those people who pooh pooh this game to consider if they are going to be happy playing endless rehashes of the fantasy MMO genre?  

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

There you have your reason why TSW doesn´t have 2 million+ players ( same goes for EvE)

Yeah, because I find TSW's combat, animations, and ugly character models to be disappointing, I'm not "sophisticated" enough.  Nice blanket insult.  I play video games for their GAMEPLAY, not because they have quotes from famous people in them.  I didn't like TSW because it felt like it was designed by morons, not for morons.

• BronqBronq Member Posts: 5
    Combat and animations could have been a lot better.
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by halflife25

15 bucks is like a pocket change. I spend more on coffee everyday where as MMOS give me entertainment for whole month. 

Even though GW2 is completely ir relevant to what OP said  i will bite. GW2 doesn't offer same game experince. It is a MMO designed for mass consumption. Where as TSW aimed for niche player base with its settings and slow and relaxed approach towards progression and meta game.

Two very different type of MMOS made for two very different type of player base.

When head honcho of Anet says that their aim is to beat WOW in sales, i think we know the philosophy behind such a game. You can not even compare it to games like TSW.

When you have to pay 15 bucks for every gamer in your family, it's NOT pocket change, that's for sure.  It costs our family 45 dollars a month (enough to pay our water bill) just so the 3 of us gamers can play.  So while I won't argue that 15 bucks is pretty reasonable....it's not really reasonable for families.  And no, we don't go out to eat or to see movies.  We have a rather tight budget, so we can't compare it to dinner out or whatever.

Anyway....just wanted to add my two cents on the 15 bucks comments.  Now we have 15.02.  ;)

edit:  When you add the initial cost of the game itself for 3 copies, you can see how it's rather expensive.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

I fully understand how annoying it is to see Guild Wars 2 fans to comment on something that has nothing to do with GW2. However, your comment is highly un-respecful, and insults every fan of Guild Wars 2 game, including me. Games are different and so do the players.

@ThreadMaker: This is why the gaming industry is out there bro, choose the game you enjoy the most and have fun there, ignoring all the other fanbois trying to destroey your enjoyable experience!

Just try to have fun ;)

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

I agree, one of the best games I have personally experienced. I like the fact that it is a tad out of reach for the "general masses" except for the fact that eventually it would seem to have a negative effect on revenue.

Personally I would pay $20 in an attempt to subsidize future content and support.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I agree OP. I definitely had higher highs in tsw due to it being a bit more of a challenge. Not gonna see too many more devs with the guts to follow their own vision anymore so fc should be applauded.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I feel a lot like you OP. TSW is like Truffles in a world of McDoubles. My sub is not going anywhere. I like you need more pvp aswell. Good thing TSW is on top graphically.  There's plenty of time for it to fill in. The game has good bones.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AzaqinAzaqin Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I gotta be honest here, and no disrespect intended for those who love GW2, but is anyone else getting kind of tired at how every thread has to have a "GW2 IS AWESOME" fanboy post in it? I've played GW2. It's a decent game, but it is not the second coming of Ricard Garriott's nutsack. 
  • KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    GW2 is nothing more then an EQII/WOW clone i was bored in less then a month. TSW has a lot oof new stuff that really makes it different. Still not a true sandbox but much closer.
  • f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by halflife25

You drink to much coffee.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by 7star

Was on yesterday, and actually saw quite a few people running around.  The thing I like most about this game is that even the basic quests are just challenging enough that you need to put a little thought into it before running into an area.  Blindly wandering off the road will get you killed.  Combat requires a bit of thought to get the right build for a particular set of monsters, and the investigation requests require you to actually think.  Sure you can easily cheat by looking up stuff online, but the game really rewards you when you figure it out for yourself.  For this reason, it's not a game that's meant to be rushed through (though of course the content locusts will always do that, then complain).  Still, the investigation quests, the modern setting, the classless system, clothing options, the ability wheel are innovations over what's been done before in MMOs.  The dungeons are some of the best in the genre.  I also find the community to be very friendly and accepting.  There's actually RPing going on as well, which is cool, though not everyone's cup of tea.  Funcom has something very special with TSW, and it is very much worth the sub.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

I've been really enjoying the game also. It certainly won't have mass appeal and in my mind, that's a good thing. Quality over quantity.

The game has its issues -- all games do -- but I want TSW to be sucessful and I spoke with my pocketbook. Lifer here.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • TigerAeroTigerAero Member Posts: 127
    I also love this game. I'm sticking with it. Man I hope the PVP gets looked at though...lol.