Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project Eternity by Obsidian Entertainment

KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity/posts/327340?ref=email&show_token=f8d9440181105cfe

Posting this for those that liked the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale type RPGs. Seems like the majority of the crew that were involved in those games is now making Project Eternity (code name, real name to be released later) and have a Kickstarter up. It's only got 3 days to go and they are just short of their 3 million dollar stretch goal that adds in the ability for players to have and manage their own Stronghold (Think building, upgrading and running your own castle/fortress).

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

This looks like a potentially very good project. It's got a long ways to go for release is the big caveat to anyone considering chipping in, I'd point out.

There's no co-op/multiplayer features for this? That would be one mode that would make it a steal imo.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo

This looks like a potentially very good project. It's got a long ways to go for release is the big caveat to anyone considering chipping in, I'd point out.

There's no co-op/multiplayer features for this? That would be one mode that would make it a steal imo.

That is correct. Currently there are no plans for a multiplayer mode of this game. It's main goal is to bring back that older style of single player, party based RPG. True, it is a few years out from development however a large plus against that is that the team making it is made up of a high percentage of developers who have shipped AAA single player RPGs in the past. Award winning RPGs.

They want to skip the publisher here so they can make the game as they intend and deliver what they promise and being from under a Publisher takes away alot of unwanted pressure.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

That is correct. Currently there are no plans for a multiplayer mode of this game. It's main goal is to bring back that older style of single player, party based RPG. True, it is a few years out from development however a large plus against that is that the team making it is made up of a high percentage of developers who have shipped AAA single player RPGs in the past. Award winning RPGs.

They want to skip the publisher here so they can make the game as they intend and deliver what they promise and being from under a Publisher takes away alot of unwanted pressure.

Ah, still should be good. Looks like they are near 3m $.

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Ah, still should be good. Looks like they are near 3m $.

They are $9,000 away from 3million at the time I'm writing this with 60 plus hours to go. I really hope they make 3 Million as they then add the Stronghold stretch goal. It reminds me of taking and rebuilding Crossroads Keep in Neverwinter Nights 2 but seems to have a bit more depth. That type gameplay couldn't be more right up my alley!

Chavez y Chavez

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

It's got Chris Avellone, it's got Tim Cain, it's got Josh Sawyer, and it's got that old school RPG style...

Well, it's got my support!:)

I still boot and play the old CRPG classics from time to time, thinking "I'd just like a higher resolution and it'd be perfect".

• sakinahsakinah Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Backed.i would love multiplay too! id be willing to double my pledge if they said they needed more money/staff to acheive it ><
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Yeah, that's just great looking project.   Finally some good single cprg.
  • CranktrainCranktrain Member Posts: 25
    KIckstarters like this one are the ideal candidates for backing. I mean, these guys have a track record in the genre few others (no others?) have. Planscape: Torment? Arcanum? Absolute classics. To begin with I was a little cynical/suspicious of the thing, I mean, these guys are Obsidian Entertainment, I doubt they have a lack of money to produce a project like this, but it's clear that they are purposely choosing funding-by-players over funding-by-publishers. I'm sure they'd rather take a smaller amount of money, for complete creative freedom.

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    I'm a great fan of kickstarter (cut out the corporations) , they got my $25!
  • AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by bigcheeseuk
    I'm a great fan of kickstarter (cut out the corporations) , they got my $25!

Same. Good to see Obsidian getting back to their old school rpg roots. 

• 71,307 backers
    • $3,768,045 pledged of $1,100,000 goal
    • 3 hours to go...

Last Orders!

Kickstarter
    Backers: 73,986
    Pledged: $3,986,929

PayPal
    Backers: 3,681
    Pledged: $176,279

Totals
    Backers: 77,667
    Pledged: $4,163,208

Woohoo, Now just gotta wait until April 2014. At least as a backer I (and other backers) will be getting constant updates on where they are making it as well as see screenshots and get other tasty tidbits that make the wait easier!

*Edit to put in actual numbers

Chavez y Chavez