Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XCOM is good

BACONXBACONX Member UncommonPosts: 253

If any of you remember the older version of the XCOM(from the early 90s) and liked it then I think you will definitely like this game. I know I'm enjoying myself at the moment. You get even more attacthed to your squad than before!

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

It is a good title on it's own but it doesn't hold a candle to the old XCom. It lacks a lot of what the old one had. The new additions doesn't make up for it IMO

No item trades between soldiers, forced classes, no base defense, limited squad size etc. It's a good game just not a worthy remake.

For once I would love a remake of an older game retain the same options, instead of removing things just to replace it with something sub par.

• cag1980cag1980 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Starpower

It's a good game just not a worthy remake.

Xcom is not meant to be a remake it's a re-imagining and it does this very well. 

I loved the original games even the spin off titles like enforcer etc. just because they were fun games.  The new Xcom is different as it does not force you to micro manage things like how many missiles for your planes, the need to buy scientists and engineers i could go on, it takes these things out to make it more of a stream lined action strategy game.

While i loved the original i did get fed up searching the whole map for 30 - 50 mins for one alien who decided to hide in a darkened corner the whole mission.

So while the new game has done away with somethings, that made the original good, it is still a good game in it's own right and a worthy addition to the Xcom series. IMO.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by cag1980
    Originally posted by Starpower

It's a good game just not a worthy remake.

Xcom is not meant to be a remake it's a re-imagining and it does this very well. 

I loved the original games even the spin off titles like enforcer etc. just because they were fun games.  The new Xcom is different as it does not force you to micro manage things like how many missiles for your planes, the need to buy scientists and engineers i could go on, it takes these things out to make it more of a stream lined action strategy game.

While i loved the original i did get fed up searching the whole map for 30 - 50 mins for one alien who decided to hide in a darkened corner the whole mission.

So while the new game has done away with somethings, that made the original good, it is still a good game in it's own right and a worthy addition to the Xcom series. IMO.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that. I'm not a fan of catering to the Xbox 360 generation, "streamlining" thing

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    I just finished this new XCOM. That took about 2 days (~16 hour on normal). And i have to say that if they called it something like "Earth defence" and didn't use all that aliens nicknames like sectoid or muton and etc that could make this game look a lot better in my eyes. But they called it XCOM so i can't stop myself compare it with old "UFO: Enemy Unknown". As you can imagine that doesn't make new game looks good. It's more like they throw out about 75% of old game content, but add some annoing cutscenes (i'm ok with landing skyranger cutscene, but not when i see it in twentieth time), that "guiding hand" that tells you what to do and all all that other stuff to suit for new generation of players.
  • 7star7star Member Posts: 405

I couldn't get into it. 

Let me say right up front: I'm not a tactical expert. I know there are military guys that know a lot more about this than I do, but seriously.

You hide behind a barrel and throw a fragmentation grenade at an alien about 3 meters in front of you and kill it, while you emerge unscathed. It just breaks immersion for me. That just wouldn't happen. I'm so busy scoffing at the absurdity, that I just can't enjoy the game. I know...it's my fault. 

And if these aliens are intelligent enough to travel all the way here, why would they engage us primates in such a primitive manner? The premise is just off. I think they would use some bio or chemical or other tech means of neutralizing us rather than going at it with little laser pistols or whatever. Just too unbelievable.

It doesn't mean the gameplay can't be fun, but like I said, the premise is really not solid, in my opinion. 

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by 7star

You hide behind a barrel and throw a fragmentation grenade at an alien about 3 meters in front of you and kill it, while you emerge unscathed. It just breaks immersion for me. That just wouldn't happen. I'm so busy scoffing at the absurdity, that I just can't enjoy the game. I know...it's my fault. 

And if these aliens are intelligent enough to travel all the way here, why would they engage us primates in such a primitive manner? The premise is just off. I think they would use some bio or chemical or other tech means of neutralizing us rather than going at it with little laser pistols or whatever. Just too unbelievable.

and when your char get a shot in the head he just loose the half of his health, or when he die he clone in another place with same weapons and armor. Should i go on?

its game, not a real life

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

XCOM certainly is good, but it does not deserve the name X-COM (maybe that's why they removed the " - " there. Makes sense.)

It works surprisingly well, and is pleasant to play for ten hours or so, but -IF- you've played old X-COM games, then it is bound to make you Sad. Everything has been ridiculously streamlined and forced into a mold to please the modern gamer crowd much more. Now, you could argue that the company needs the money, profit is the most important thing... Sure, but I feel like the game is terribly lacking in depth.

No more do we have inventory management (the current system does not count), looting in game (retrieving stuff from a fallen XCOM operative), limited ammo, weight, time units for more complex planning/actions/turns. And no more freedom in creation of Soldiers or multiple bases. Once your trooper turns into a Sniper, he's forced to use Sniper rifles. You can't give him that Assault Rifle and keep him as a Designated Marksman at front-line. Lets not even go into the squad limit of 6... or the ridiculous camera handling. So much bad, but also many good things which -Almost- make up for the disappointments.

Summary: Good, but lacking much what made X-COM... well, X-COM. The unnecessary cutscenes (plot related) are pleasant to watch, but are not needed there. The feeling of doom is not stressed enough, the music does not have the strenght to back the "events", and the customization is terribly limited.

We?re all dead, just say it.