Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's a good no nonsense antivirus these days?

VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

I had some bizarre problem hit my PC yesterday and while I seem to have my problem fixed, I need to run a quality virus scan.  The PC in question is ONLY used for my stock trading platforms and the forums I researched contend it is not a virus, but I still would like to verify.

The issue seems to have been corrupted files on the drive, and when the windows process 'superfetch' went for those files windows defender would go haywire and lock up the pc.

So disabling those two seemed to have resolved the issue but as you can see its a very peculiar issue.

I learned the ins and outs of virus protection back in the good old days where ad programs and pop ups were a dime a dozen.  That's why I run two machines now, my "clean" one for stocks and another for games, surfing etc.  I remember spybot search and destroy was all I needed back then, and I'm looking for something similar.  No nonsense, doesn't try to take over my computer with firewalls and email scans and signing up for 30 day trials etc.

any ideas?

Comments

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

I use Eset smart security and i like it.

For a scan you can use

nod32

Avast

Kaspersky

• simonwest80simonwest80 Member Posts: 173

Rule 101 of running a PC - TURN OFF DEFENDER!

No idea why M$ even made this piece of *!$ - stops almost all programs from running properly!

Anyways i usually advise a mixture of AVG Free is fine as long as you know what you are doing ie i wouldnt advise my dad to use AVG as he clicks on everything and doesnt have a clue.  I have and advised many people to use Kaspersky although it can be a little over protective sometimes, and i also still use Spybot S&D.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    You'd do better to run hard drive tests before you do virus checks.  Corrupted files can mean a failing hard drive.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    According to tests Microsoft Security Essentials offers the greatest amount of Security protection with the least amount of resources consumed, and its free.  However, no anti-virus can protect against all threats.  Its usually a good idea to have an anti-virus program like Microsoft Security Essentials, or NOD32 and a Heuristics based scanner like MalWare Bytes.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I'm happy with Kaspersky.
  • VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Grunty
    You'd do better to run hard drive tests before you do virus checks.  Corrupted files can mean a failing hard drive.

Oh indeed.  I ran a check that took all night and there was some files that I use everyday that were indeed curupt. Those along with 'superfetch' and Defender seem to be the problem.  The virus scan has showed nothing.  Just wanted to make sure some neighbor wasn't trying some goofy business over my network.  Regardless, I'll be ordering a new PC in the mail by early week.  This computer has been a charm for almost 4 years but when your playing forex or running a tight calendar spread on $20 equity options you need a faithful machine lol.  Not going to fuck around and get a new rig. 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by simonwest80

Rule 101 of running a PC - TURN OFF DEFENDER!

No idea why M$ even made this piece of *!$ - stops almost all programs from running properly!

Anyways i usually advise a mixture of AVG Free is fine as long as you know what you are doing ie i wouldnt advise my dad to use AVG as he clicks on everything and doesnt have a clue.  I have and advised many people to use Kaspersky although it can be a little over protective sometimes, and i also still use Spybot S&D.

the first rule of running a pc is to understand it, and then try to show off :)

defender works fine, if you got it under controle. nothing stopped here.

@topic: free usually aint quite as good as payed AV's. anyway, AVG is doing quite the good work, tho i prefer my g.data version, even tho i had to pay like 10 euro for a year or sth.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• YansheeYanshee Member Posts: 55

Avast free edition.

4 years and zero problems.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Im a happy user of Avira Free Antivirus
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Microsoft Security Essentials. It's lightweight and it works.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• simonwest80simonwest80 Member Posts: 173
    Thane Defender has a huge history of stopping stuff working correctly, and I have worked for quite a few companies who first call of order is to turn off defender.  Defender works fine if you use everything Microsoft, and have everything signed off with M$, other than that it stops things working a lot.
  • megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Microsoft Security Essentials. It works and it's easy on the resources. 
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Avast has been my choice for a going on two years now. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    One more for avast, it has a nice interface and has never really interfered with my day to day activities. For weekly scans I use malwarebytes and superantispyware. 
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Yanshee

Avast free edition.

4 years and zero problems.

I'd have to recommend Avast as well. I've been running it on all my machines for 3 years and I've had the same lack of problems. Does the job and does it well.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ChuChuTrickChuChuTrick Member UncommonPosts: 27

Probably the best antivirus you can pay for is Eset Nod32 (internet security if ur want a firewall also)

If your want a extremely low reasource antivirus (helps with gaming) go with panda cloud antivirus (there is a  free edition).

Quite possibly the most powerful free antivirus would be Avast..

I use nod32 personally...and I've had 0 problems for over 6 years...although my comuputer habits are pretty good, so...

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

It's important for people to know, that A/V software only stops a small percentage of the garbage out there.  I have multiple client offices running things like Nod32 Corporate and other so-called top of the line A/V software, and they still manage to get infected regularly (unless they are using a hardware solution on the edge).  A lot of the holes exploited by today's malware bypasses A/V software with no problem, and this includes nasty stuff like bootkits / rootkits.

Yes, run A/V, but it's not a substitute for knowing what websites to avoid, and what emails to not click on.

Personally, if my clients don't want to pay for commercial A/V program for some reason, I put them on Microsoft Security Essentials mostly because it doesn't nag them and updates integrate with Windows Update. Seems to work as good as anything else I've used, and I use them all.  I use it on my own machines too, but then I've gone years in the past without any A/V and never been infected because I know what to avoid.

One thing I hate is A/V software with built in firewall BS and other extended services.  Find yourself a good A/V only program.  Nod32 is great, but some people find it daunting with the myriad of settings and overwhelming interface.  I prefer it to the other commercial / paid solutions though.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Currently I use Microsoft Security Essentials along with Malwarebyes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware (all free versions) and have ZERO problems.
  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Avast, no doubt.

• esty17esty17 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I have used Kaspersky. Went free with MSE and still have no issues. I think anything will work since I agree with the people saying avoidance and common sense are the best defences.
  • cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    I'm a big fan of all Comodo products.   I use the firewall/antivirus and Dragon (which is a more secure chrome)..   I even use the antivirus on my android made by them.   I can't even remember the last time I had a virus, probably mostly due to the fact I know how not to get them in the first place. lol
  • ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

The first thing you do is back up your data.  Always do this first.  If you don't backup first and the detection removal process scrubs or corrupts files then you'll lose them forever.

Next, you head over to the Norton or Kaspersky community forums.  Either search for or start a thread with your question.  If you really need to check for malware it's more complicated than just getting a "good" security suite.  There can be multiple tools to use and boot sequence steps to follow.  If you don't follow the analysis steps you can miss something or it can mask itself.

Once you're past that stage then you can setup a security suite.  I like F-Secure, Microsoft Defender / Security Essentials, Norton, and Kaspersky pretty much in that order.  I'm using Microsoft Defender on the Win8 boxes, Kaspersky on a Win7 portable desktop, and MS Security Essentials on the XP box.  Every once in a 6 months or so I run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for a complete file scan.

The biggest difference seems to be that paid versions have more bells and whistles.  Norton and Kaspersky will aggressively scrub tracking cookies if you set them that way.  The free versions don't.  Norton's full suite will setup registry cleaning, disk defrag analysis, and report high cpu/mem/disk usage if you configure it to do so.

I consider Norton to be AAA Malware. If I see a PC that has it installed I always recommend to remove that asap. 

F-secure has never let me down. It has caught files on other people PCs when connected via LAN when their own didn't catch them.

• xXxMADoOoxXxMADoOo Member Posts: 4
    I use ESET Smart Security now but before when WinXP is still in use I used AVG and MS Security Essentials. And, yes knowing what sites to avoid and what not to click is still the best remedy for viruses, trojans, worms and the like.
  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Another vote for Avast.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Im a fan of webroot, its lightweight, scans fast, and has realtime protection