Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game sounds like the possible savior to MMOs!

Comments

• MercArcherMercArcher Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Originally posted by Mordred1

This game sounds to me like the biggest crash and burn in the industry since STWOR. They are making a theme-park MMO out of a sandbox sp rpg.

I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, just like making a MMORPG game out of a RTS game, it would never work. (WoW, for those of you that think it was just a game that came out of thin air.)

Argument is invalid, RTS and RPG are different genres.  RPG and RPG are the same genre.  MMO is just an added feature, not a genre.

And they are sticking with the same formula as the single player games. The single player games are more closely related to themepark mmos than they are sandbox so it makes sense to go with one.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by MercArcher

This game sounds to me like the biggest crash and burn in the industry since STWOR. They are making a theme-park MMO out of a sandbox sp rpg.

I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, just like making a MMORPG game out of a RTS game, it would never work. (WoW, for those of you that think it was just a game that came out of thin air.)

Argument is invalid, RTS and RPG are different genres.  RPG and RPG are the same genre.  MMO is just an added feature, not a genre.

And they are sticking with the same formula as the single player games. The single player games are more closely related to themepark mmos than they are sandbox so it makes sense to go with one.

Oh, I didn't realize it was a first-person action-combat MMORPG where you can go anywhere on one character and kill anyone you want and work on any and every skill available in the game to your heart's desire!  This makes me feel so much better about the prospects of this game, although, I must admit, I have never played a theme-park MMO that operates like that.

/sarcasm

I swear dude, you are a lot of fun, just hilarious stuff!

PS: Where's that guarantee?  Gonna take me up on that bet or what?

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

They are building TESO for you! RvRvR is hardcore PvPers dream! You can become emporer.

I am not aiming for an emporer, just to have a good time and playing my role withing a comunity.

I hope I'm wrong.

Oh, I didn't realize it was a first-person action-combat MMORPG where you can go anywhere on one character and kill anyone you want and work on any and every skill available in the game to your heart's desire!  This makes me feel so much better about the prospects of this game, although, I must admit, I have never played a theme-park MMO that operates like that.

/sarcasm

I swear dude, you are a lot of fun, just hilarious stuff!

PS: Where's that guarantee?  Gonna take me up on that bet or what?

First person action combat MMOs don't work. Proof: Mortal and Darkfall

Killing anyone/thing you want in an mmo leads to 1 thing, griefing. There is literally no other reason to include it. Griefing would lose them subs. This is a good thing.

Learning all the skills? Who said we can't. They have already said everyone can use every peice of gear. Whos to say we can't use all the different skills.

Go everywhere? I'll agree I'd prefer all the zones to be open to everyone, but this gives you a reason to roll alts on a different faction.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

Great, not another "X MMO is going to save the MMO gaming world" type MMO thread didn't we just have this already with GW2.

Suck in that hype, lap up all that the fans have to write, absorb every teased piece of info from the many upcoming podcasts.

If there is one thing that is certain, TESO will release to an amazing crescendo of applause, and a few weeks later the hills will be filled with the sound of of the wind whistling through the trees, nary a sword swung in anger.

Too many games, little to no interest in the playerbase to play past the first month.

The excuses invaribly revolve around poor customer support/poor combat/poor animations/poor questing/no end game/too easy/too hard etc etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love looking forward to new releases, but don't try to beat me over the head with that tired old crap about this MMO is going to change the world, it ain't, it's a fucking game.

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110

Let's ask this question regarding the hype:

Granted there have been plenty of unsuccessful games that have had a lot of hype, but can anyone name a successful game that had such little hype as ESO?

One year before launch barely anyone knew about rift, and it sold over a million at launch and made trion a huge profit. If we are just going to look at user scores (which is about hype and hate) you have MoP that had very low scores on this site, and if you look at metacritic it has a user score of 4.4 and it still sold millions.

The big hate for ESO is mostly about swtor and very few hate it for the right reasons.

Originally posted by Sicae

Let's ask this question regarding the hype:

Granted there have been plenty of unsuccessful games that have had a lot of hype, but can anyone name a successful game that had such little hype as ESO?

One year before launch barely anyone knew about rift, and it sold over a million at launch and made trion a huge profit. If we are just going to look at user scores (which is about hype and hate) you have MoP that had very low scores on this site, and if you look at metacritic it has a user score of 4.4 and it still sold millions.

The big hate for ESO is mostly about swtor and very few hate it for the right reasons.

Actually the hype for Rift was enormous, and their ad campaigns caused quite a stir, especially with the controversial "we're not in Azeroth any more" tagline.  They were very smart coming out with their advertising at about the 9-month before release mark, similar to how Skyrim did it.  They had enough info to keep the hype train growing without giving too much away or deflating, growing all the way until launch, which was, also, one of the smoothest and most technically successful launches in MMO history, despite not having much going for it.

Remember, hype and review are very different.

The hate for ESO has nothing to do with SWTOR, it has to do with ESO being little to nothing like TES.

First person action combat MMOs don't work. Proof: Mortal and Darkfall

Killing anyone/thing you want in an mmo leads to 1 thing, griefing. There is literally no other reason to include it. Griefing would lose them subs. This is a good thing.

Learning all the skills? Who said we can't. They have already said everyone can use every peice of gear. Whos to say we can't use all the different skills.

Go everywhere? I'll agree I'd prefer all the zones to be open to everyone, but this gives you a reason to roll alts on a different faction.

1) You've clearly never played them, they work great, it's the best part about either game.

2) Not if properly regulated with something that TES already has: crime and punishment.  Griefing is actually doing something to another player that violates the TOS.  If attack anyone is made possible by the mechanics of the game, then it cannot be griefing, by definition.  And why is losing subs a good thing?

3) The people making the game said we can't, read up and watch the dev videos, classes have certain skill-trees.

4) Some people, including myself, hate alts.  It diseminates my investment into a single character.  I never have alts in other games because of this.

Are you seriously going to refuse the bet?  Can you not put your money where your mouth is?  100$, not too much, is it?

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

TESO could be a good game...if it drops the TES name. I mean, let's be honest here, it's nothing like a TES game. It merely uses the IP to push itself, and butchers every features key to the TES world.

TES Online? No. DAoC 2? Maybe.

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

TESO could be a good game...if it drops the TES name. I mean, let's be honest here, it's nothing like a TES game. It merely uses the IP to push itself, and butchers every features key to the TES world.

TES Online? No. DAoC 2? Maybe.

If this game was called DAOC 2 it would be win-win.  I might even give it a try, although RvR gets really dull really fast.

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

savior?... no... next please

Originally posted by Fagmod
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

RvRvR was the epitome of PvP in MMOs

LoL! Good one mate! Pull another one!

This RvRvR in TESO is a double-edged sword, it does deliver average form of PvP for endgame purposes, on the other hand it makes 2/3 of the PvE-area of the gameworld unreachable to any character. In a way, you are almost forced to make alts. That is not a good thing.

Actually it is one of the worst ideas I've ever ran into in any MMO.

Seriously, instead of this stupid faction thing, why not just allow guilds to handle the whole thing. Let Cyrodiil be the PvP area, but let people choose the side (guild) they belong to. This way whole Tamriel would stay open to everyone. I would buy this game.

I wont be buying TESO.

So your an expert on how big the 3 different factions zones are? 

Where the fuck did I say anything like that?

Or what is the best PvP system?

Just as much of an expert as OP, or you

Fact of the matter is DAoC had 3 factions and 2 of the factions zones were locked out for you and there was ZERO open world PvP.  DAoC was one of the higest critically acclaimed MMO's so now it is not one of the worst ideas ever to copy alot of its prevelant elements.

At the cost of restricting about half (rough estimate) of the game world from any character? It most certainly is one of the worst ideas ever. Remember that getting to explore Tamriel is a huge selling point for TESO, the fact that people need to make alts to do it is big turn-off for many people.

There are plenty of Open World PvP games for you to play, there has only been 2, COUNT IT: 2, multi faction specific RvR games, TESO is not a PvP game, it is an RvR so get it throguh your head please.

Again, where the fuck did I say TESO is a PvP game? Do you even read before you start answering?

And unless my eyes are failing me, your precious DaOC is still there. Go play.

Incidentally, I AM an expert on how big the faction zones are.  As far as an MMO is concerned, they are tiny.  The entire continent of Tamiral will be about the same as the landmass of vanilla WoW.   Vanilla WoW, is 80 square miles, Cyrodiil, is 16 square miles.  I'll let you all extrapolate from there.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by znaiika

PvPers should consider TESO as training ground for new pvpers " pvp light virsion ".

As for hardcore pvpers, you have DF:UW coming, you have nothing to worry about, play your hardcore pvp game and support it.

Good job TESO, I love the feature you have.

What about hardcore PvPers who want to play in the world of TES?

Where's our game?

Oh is DF:UW using the TES IP now?  If so yay!  But they aren't, they're on Agon, which I could care less about.

So basically what I'm getting out of all the nay-sayers is they are sad that they can't just sit around greifing people all day by killing all the NPCs and players in sight for no reason other than "because I can".

They are opposed to hotbars because more than 2 spells confuses them

And want first person aiming in MMOs that traditionally have pings around 100ish that can sky rocket in large populated areas for which they said they are trying to support 200 people on screen which would make First Person targetig a cluster fuck of nothing ever happening because it would be impossible to focus fire leading to extremely boring gameplay.

To me that sounds like a terrible game and I along with the majority of gamers are glad they didn't take that approach.

EL OH EL

Merc you crack me up.  How much are ZOS paying you, seriously?  I could totally get in on this racket, where do I sign up?  I'd also be a LOT better at it than you because you have some glaring logic issues in your arguments.

1) FFA PVP with just consequences, guards arresting you and kicking your ass, serious punishments for criminals, bounty systems, make it difficult for criminals and murderers to survive, yes.  No other MMORPG has done this successfully.

2) Hotbars are fine.  Both Darkfall and Mortal have hotbars.  What we want to avoid is cool-downs and tab targetting.

3) Pings around 100?  Are you still on a 56k moden there buddy?  My ping to my GW2 server is 12, my ping to Darkfall US server is 31, my ping to the only Mortal Online server which is in Europe is 86, my ping to my PS2 server is 44.  Who the hell has 100 ping in an MMO these days?  Get with the times, man.  Also, having actually played FPS MMORPGs with melee, which you clearly haven't, I can objectively tell you that it is far more exciting and engaging than the number-explosions of WoW or GW2 combat.  Talk about a clusterfuck.

4) So if this has been the concensus you've gotten from your ill-conceived promotional thread paid for by our pals at Zenimax Online Studios, where exactly is this majority?  Why is TESO the lowest on the hype-meter and DF:UW the highest?  How weird that your "majority" is nowhere to be found.

Pro-tip for any kind of debate, never assume to talk for a majority unless you have evidence to back it up: you'll end up looking like Paul Ryan (ps: that means "liar").

TSW has #4 hype and is widly concidered a flop.

WoW is by far the most sucessful MMO ever and is somewhere around #50.

SWTOR, Rift, Aion, AoC, WAR, Ect. all had extremely high hypes before they launched and they all floped.

Hype on this site doesn't mean shit.

I think youre either hallucinating, or misunderstand how the site works. Go look at the meter again. TESO is not even on the front page for HYPE (Top Voted) , which goes to #7. The current #7 is Origins of Malu with a hype of 8.0. TESO has a 7.3. Hell TESO is getting beat out by at least  4 indie games with little funding who are currently in that top 7.

You my have been looking at "activity" (Most Popular) not hype. All that shows is how many hits the forums for that game are getting, which in TESO's case is #6 today, and not even on the top 10 list for the past week, month, 6 months, or year. Granted they released info on it fairly recently, so 6 months and 1 year dont rrally apply. But its not even in the top 10 for this week or month for forum activity, which could be either good or bad activity (the system doesnt account for either side, just hits).

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/all/sCol/rankHype/sOrder/desc

The Secret World is #4 rated, on that list. Look at the list again, then scroll waaaay down. TESO is nowhere even close to top 10. Its around #80 int hat entire list, and about #30 as far as hype (unreleased games). Hype is basically how much people are looking forward to it / how good they expect it to be. Thats pretty bad considering its TES.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by DAS1337

This RvRvR in TESO is a double-edged sword, it does deliver average form of PvP for endgame purposes, on the other hand it makes 2/3 of the PvE-area of the gameworld unreachable to any character. In a way, you are almost forced to make alts. That is not a good thing.

Seriously, instead of this stupid faction thing, why not just allow guilds to handle the whole thing. Let Cyrodiil be the PvP area, but let people choose the side (guild) they belong to. This way whole Tamriel would stay open to everyone. I would buy this game.

I wont be buying TESO.

So your an expert on how big the 3 different factions zones are?  Or what is the best PvP system?

Fact of the matter is DAoC had 3 factions and 2 of the factions zones were locked out for you and there was ZERO open world PvP.  DAoC was one of the higest critically acclaimed MMO's so now it is not one of the worst ideas ever to copy alot of its prevelant elements.

There are plenty of Open World PvP games for you to play, there has only been 2, COUNT IT: 2, multi faction specific RvR games, TESO is not a PvP game, it is an RvR so get it throguh your head please.

False.

Did you play DAoC?  All three realms were available for you to travel to, by way of the frontier lands.  Now, it wasn't easy to get into enemy lands, but it wasn't impossible.  There wasn't ZERO open world PvP.  Now, it takes a larger force to run interference, but a small group could make a break for it as long as the gates were open and NPC fire was focused elsewhere.  You could then pillage the leveling areas until you died.  There were also public dungeons in frontier lands and you could fight for control of them.  How many MMO's have territory control system that actually exists in the actual game world?  Very few is the answer.  Taking some lessons from what they did with DAoC's PvP system is a wise choice.  It was a marvel of a system in it's day.  Clearly, we should be able to do a lot more today with the technology available.

It's sad to see, however, that no one can manage to bring back the same meaningful PvP in a themepark... a decade later.

You could not travel to the realm of Hibernia if you were an Albion and vice versa.  Now yes you could travel to the frontiers of those factions but then again thisisnt what the poster stated in huis question.  You all act as if just because I cant play a certain zone then the game is doomed.  Which ive showed that other faction have proven you dont need to explore EVERY land mass to be successful.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

I wont be buying TESO.

So your an expert on how big the 3 different factions zones are?  Or what is the best PvP system?

False.

Did you play DAoC?  All three realms were available for you to travel to, by way of the frontier lands.  Now, it wasn't easy to get into enemy lands, but it wasn't impossible.  There wasn't ZERO open world PvP.  Now, it takes a larger force to run interference, but a small group could make a break for it as long as the gates were open and NPC fire was focused elsewhere.  You could then pillage the leveling areas until you died.  There were also public dungeons in frontier lands and you could fight for control of them.  How many MMO's have territory control system that actually exists in the actual game world?  Very few is the answer.  Taking some lessons from what they did with DAoC's PvP system is a wise choice.  It was a marvel of a system in it's day.  Clearly, we should be able to do a lot more today with the technology available.

It's sad to see, however, that no one can manage to bring back the same meaningful PvP in a themepark... a decade later.

You could not travel to the realm of Hibernia if you were an Albion and vice versa.  Now yes you could travel to the frontiers of those factions but then again thisisnt what the poster stated in huis question.  You all act as if just because I cant play a certain zone then the game is doomed.  Which ive showed that other faction have proven you dont need to explore EVERY land mass to be successful.

When so many TES fans are more excited to explore all of Tamriel than anything else, then forcing them to make two alts to do so, that should worry ZOS.

I wont be buying TESO.

Where the fuck did I say anything like that?  When you stated you were locked out of 2 of the 3 factions zones, implying that the world will be small.

Just as much of an expert as OP, or you  Take a poll of which type of PvP prefer and it will ALWAYS return an overwhelming favorite to RvR.  Your dellusional to think that open world or FFA PvP is anything but niche.

At the cost of restricting about half (rough estimate) of the game world from any character? It most certainly is one of the worst ideas ever. Remember that getting to explore Tamriel is a huge selling point for TESO, the fact that people need to make alts to do it is big turn-off for many people.  See there you go again implying just because you cant visit a certain starting zone then the game is small, or at the very least a bad idea.  Says who? You?  Just because it is a bad idea TO YOU doesnt make it a bad idea TO ME.

Again, where the fuck did I say TESO is a PvP game? Do you even read before you start answering? Do you even read what you write?  here again are your words: 

See those things in green are highlights to your word so again I stand by my assertion, you want TESO to be a PvP game, it is not so leave it, it is an RvR game so quit changing it to something its trying not to be.  Again there are plenty of games you may like but TESO is not the type you want it to be

And unless my eyes are failing me, your precious DaOC is still there. Go play.  Its old and a shadow of itself, some of us 3 faction RvR fans feel its our turn to have a AAA MMO to call our own.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Talking about features, I'm still waiting for you to link me that part (from TESO FAQ) where it says every character can go to every area in the game. Really looking forward to it.

Do you consider your self as pvper?

I wont be buying TESO.

False.

When so many TES fans are more excited to explore all of Tamriel than anything else, then forcing them to make two alts to do so, that should worry ZOS.

When are you guys going to understand this isnt a TES game, it is a DAoC successor and nothing more.  Love it or leave it for what it is, not what it isnt.

Its old and a shadow of itself, some of us 3 faction RvR fans feel its our turn to have a AAA MMO to call our own.

When it means destroying the potential of an MMO based on one of the greatest fantasy IPs every created, fo such a niche mechanic as RvR?

Yeah, sounds great, please 500 people still hanging on to the RvR notion while pissing off and disappointing potential millions (Skyrim sold 2.5 million on PC, 11 million total)?

Sounds like a winner to me. /sarcasm

When are you guys going to understand this isnt a TES game, it is a DAoC successor and nothing more.  Love it or leave it for what it is, not what it isnt.

Then why is it not called DAOC 2?  "TES"O sounds a lot more like "TES" to me than "DAOC 2"

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Finally someone is starting from scratch, making their own MMO game engine. Being able to fully controll everything about their own engine will be refreshing over the limitations of recent MMOs.

Three faction PvP is back! DAoC is the undesputed open world PvP game and it hasn't been sucessfully copied yet. With the lead developer of DAoC being the lead developer here I think we have a chance!

The stamina system is quite possibly the most interesting PvP mechanic i've seen in a LONG time. I'm really looking forward to it it adds a large amount of depth.

Fully voiced, dynamic content. SWTOR started the fully voiced, and add in GW2 dynamic system and you have a great questing system.

Ultimate Skills are another wonderful ideas. 0 mana, 0 CD skills that become castable from how you do in combat? I love it!

Back to the trinity. After GW2 we learned that the trinity exsists for a reason. They are trying to keep a similar action feel while going back to the method that works.

"BRD style Instances" Gone are the days of linear instances. Go where you want mazes with multiple paths!

Not a wow-clone. They aren't doing the mistake of so many MMOs recently of copying WoW. Granted WoW was a great game, but if people wanted to play wow they would play wow.

From the information released so far this sounds like it has the possibility to be one amazing game. I'm really looking forward to following the development and trying the betas.

This game will not save anything,and did you say it was pvp with no option to avoid that? well no games with forced pvp has had any sucsess yet.

I wont be buying TESO.

Where the fuck did I say anything like that?

Just as much of an expert as OP, or you

At the cost of restricting about half (rough estimate) of the game world from any character? It most certainly is one of the worst ideas ever. Remember that getting to explore Tamriel is a huge selling point for TESO, the fact that people need to make alts to do it is big turn-off for many people.

Again, where the fuck did I say TESO is a PvP game? Do you even read before you start answering?

And unless my eyes are failing me, your precious DaOC is still there. Go play.

Incidentally, I AM an expert on how big the faction zones are.  As far as an MMO is concerned, they are tiny.  The entire continent of Tamiral will be about the same as the landmass of vanilla WoW.   Vanilla WoW, is 80 square miles, Cyrodiil, is 16 square miles.  I'll let you all extrapolate from there.

The size of Tamriel is higly dependant on the game that you are playing.

Cyrodil is 16 mi^2 in oblivion, skyrim is the same.

However Tamriel is 62,394mi^2 in daggerfall making Cyrodil roughly 10,000 mi^2

They could make TESO 80 square miles or more and it would be perfectly reasonable.

The whole Tamriel is open for everyone to explore, but it's not forcing everyone to pvp, that is the only difference.

This game is desined for large population.

If you want open world FFA pvp joing UW.

The size of Tamriel is higly dependant on the game that you are playing.

Cyrodil is 16 mi^2 in oblivion, skyrim is the same.

However Tamriel is 62,394mi^2 in daggerfall making Cyrodil roughly 10,000 mi^2

They could make TESO 80 square miles or more and it would be perfectly reasonable.

How wrong can one person be on such a constant basis?

Tamriel is not 62k square miles in Daggerfall, the game region is, which includes most of High Rock and the north coast of Hammerfell.  I guess you never played Daggerfall either.  There's a lot of games you should play before pretending to be an afficianado about MMOs or RPGs. 

This makes Tamriel in Daggerfall much larger than 62k square miles, as is Cyrodiil.

Now this is all well and good until you remember that they have said that they are using the height-map and scale of Cyrodiil from Oblivion so that players of Oblivion recognize the area and can explore it properly.  They are making minor changes to the landscape, but if you played Oblivion you will know where most things are and how far away they are from each other.

So, your PvP world is 4x4 miles, 16 square miles.  That is not very big, considering the three factions fighting over it and the fourth NPC faction involved in the conflict.  As reference, each continent in Planetside 2 is roughly 22 square miles, and there are three of those.  They still manage to feel pretty small, and crossing them on foot does not take very long at all.

The whole Tamriel is open for everyone to explore, but it's not forcing everyone to pvp, that is the only difference.

This game is desined for large population.

If you want open world FFA pvp joing UW.

You never answered my question, what about TES fans who want a TES-like MMORPG in the world of TES?  DF doesn't provide that, and neither does TESO.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The game will probably have ffa servers too. I don't see why not, its heavily influenced by daoc and that as well as core servers also had a ffa pvp server called mordred and a coop pve server.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    The game will probably have ffa servers too. I don't see why not, its heavily influenced by daoc and that as well as core servers also had a ffa pvp server called mordred and a coop pve server.

Two different servers, one for pvp and one coop pve?

Why not? that will bring more subs, more subs better maintaining as a whole.

I am not against of having two servers.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Two different servers, one for pvp and one coop pve?

Why not? that will bring more subs, more subs better maintaining as a whole.

I am not against of having two servers.

I am holding out hope this happens at the very least, but it is very doubtful, since this has been proven to fracture player-bases and that is very bad for an MMO community.  Now they just have to fix the combat and make it like TES.