Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corrupt panel of judges award SWTOR the overall winner of the Game Developers Choice Online Awards

124»

Comments

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    It is reasons like this that I uninstalled SWTOR and BF3 and purged Origin from my computers. I will never touch anything having to do with EA again. Let them survive off of their console sports franchises if they want.

I don´t get people like this. EA is a freakin´ game distributor, those EA haters have a serious problem with their boycot attitude.

(Which I think is nothing but Internet acting and they buy EA distributed stuff anyway from multiple studios)

You behave like a kid telling court the big bad man in black from EA came to your house and hit you with a baseball bat and kidnapped your mommy.

Sheesh...

Are you refering to the company that recently tried to strong arm Nintendo into making its entire new online network Origin exclusive?

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by karmath

lol. I find it humorous that some people still blindly defend this game. 

Only on these forums will someone be accused for blindly defending a game when they're really just playing a game they like. There's a lot of white knights on these boards, but the above is the worst imo.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Draron
    I wouldn't call it a corrupt panel as much as the other options just weren't that good.

A matter of opinion I suppose.  It would be the equivalent of a specific Miss Universe (Miss America or whatever it currently is) winning because all the judges were also working for the cosmetic companies she was endorsing.  Sure, to you, she was the prettiest, and would definitely have won anyways, but then again, maybe not.  It was just your personal opinion that weighed any arguments down.  The panel in this case was filled with EA associates (past or present), that much is indisputable?

If that's not enough, consider court cases which were supposed to be open-shut, given an insurmountable evidence against a defendent.  Occasionally a result will get tossed out because the jury had a potential aquiantence or prejudice.  Also, maybe even the presiding judge found that he/she needed to step down (voluntarily or forcibly) because of a potential predisposition to bias any verdict rendered.

If EA wants to give awards within their company, thats fine.  It's not news worthy though, and if it is, then it should be stated within any article that the ceremony was sponsored by EA.

Only on these forums will someone be accused for blindly defending a game when they're really just playing a game they like. There's a lot of white knights on these boards, but the above is the worst imo.

Only when objective facts are ignored would someone toss such accusations.  Keep an open mind.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

Only when objective facts are ignored would someone toss such accusations.  Keep an open mind.

The person quoted didn't ignore blind facts, only stated an opinion and certainly I don't - I participated in threads that offer suggestions to the game and mentioned some things that aren't to my liking. No need to tell to keep an open mind.

I wouldn't call it a corrupt panel as much as the other options just weren't that good.

A matter of opinion I suppose.  It would be the equivalent of a specific Miss Universe (Miss America or whatever it currently is) winning because all the judges were also working for the cosmetic companies she was endorsing.  Sure, to you, she was the prettiest, and would definitely have won anyways, but then again, maybe not.  It was just your personal opinion that weighed any arguments down.  The panel in this case was filled with EA associates (past or present), that much is indisputable?

True, it's an opinion. Just as my opinion is your reading way too much into it. IMO it's safe to say all of the contestants in the above example would be beautiful. But the rest of the games in the categories compared to SWTOR? Not the same thing. The only award that I see a problem with is the visual arts that could've gone to Glitch, and that's open to interpretation on your taste. 

The person quoted didn't ignore blind facts, only stated an opinion and certainly I don't - I participated in threads that offer suggestions to the game and mentioned some things that aren't to my liking. No need to tell to keep an open mind.

It only seems that way, because you cut out the rest of the post, to make it seem more subjective than it actually was.  Let me remind you the whole post, with the part you cut out in GREEN.

lol. I find it humorous that some people still blindly defend this game. Roughly 2 million people quit and is going FTP faster than 95% of any other MMO's released to date, pack that ontop of the 400 million budget, its just unfathomable how people cant get over their pride and admit they paid top dollar for a sub par, utter and complete shit game like an idiot.

These would be the points to discuss.  Cutting portions out and giving one-liners to edited one-liners doesn't strenghen your position.  2 million did quit.  VGChartz shows this game sold 2.5 million copies.  EA had 500k+ subscribers as of June 30, 2012 (and did server merges since then, with population and activity still in decline).  SWTOR did have a rather large decline compared to other games, population wise (even WAR Online didn't have such a big % drop).  The budget is ballpark, but consider the cost to make the game + advertising + cost to acquire BioWare.

Cost to acquire BioWare? A whopping $860 million.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-buying-bioware-pandemic-for-860m-6180818

Why would EA pay this?

Riccitiello said that the "acquisition fills out a gap in [EA's] genre lineup," specifically the role-playing and action adventure markets.

Did they make this money back?  Not with what they are releasing.  If anything the quote at $400, for a total TOR cost, is being very conservative.  The EA logo "BioWare" is tarnished now, and prospects for releasing more games under their subsidary BioWare are limited, thanks to SWTOR.

So back to your post, I'm not really seeing the poster ignoring any facts.  Perhaps you meant something else.

It only seems that way, because you cut out the rest of the post, to make it seem more subjective than it actually was. 

So back to your post, I'm not really seeing the poster ignoring any facts.  Perhaps you meant something else.

I didn't mean to make it subjective. Again your reading too much into it. The person who posted that was replying to this:

Originally posted by sleepr27

SWTOR a terrible game? thanks for the laugh. Why can't people just say "It's a good game, just not my thing". I also don't like GW2, for me it's one of the most boring MMO's i've played. Yet i don't come here saying "this game is garbage".

You want to know what's terrible?! I'll tell you, it's the MMO community. A bunch of spoiled brats who can't see anything improving or growing with time. 

No where in that post was there blindly defending the game, only offering the truth. The game isn't terrible, it's only not to others likings.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Castleville nominated as best new online game.

Woa.

It only seems that way, because you cut out the rest of the post, to make it seem more subjective than it actually was. 

I didn't mean to make it subjective. Again your reading too much into it. The person who posted that was replying to this:

I'm not reading too much into it, I'm reading what I saw.  You may have wanted to agree with someone, but in your assertion to agree you also quoted a one-liner from someone else and ridiculed them, even though they had justification for what was said, given the cut-out portion of their statement.  Just calling that out.  Best to respond to the whole statement to avoid stuff like this, or specifically to the poster you agree with.

I'm not reading too much into it, I'm reading what I saw.  You may have wanted to agree with someone, but in your assertion to agree you also quoted a one-liner from someone else and ridiculed them, even though they had justification for what got cut out in the rest of their statement.  Just calling that out.

There's nothing to call out. I quoted that one line because it blamed the person they responded to were ignoring facts and blindly defending the game. They weren't, all there is to it.

I'm not reading too much into it, I'm reading what I saw.  You may have wanted to agree with someone, but in your assertion to agree you also quoted a one-liner from someone else and ridiculed them, even though they had justification for what got cut out in the rest of their statement.  Just calling that out.

There's nothing to call out. I quoted that one line because it blamed the person they responded to were ignoring facts and blindly defending the game. They weren't, and to prove that I had the original comment quoted in my post - something you left out as well. All there is to it.

Just quote the proper source in it's entirity next time.  I'm not going to spam everyone to follow an entire conversation trail, as you suggest I do.  The immediate person you quoted had a quote edited by you.  Either quote in it's entirity, or respond to a full post you want to comment on earlier in the conversation.  Picking only bits and pieces does not strengthen your arguments, and only adds to fuel for later posts by others.

For instance, someone might give an entire review of SWTOR, but amongst the 200 sentences in the article, which were informative (maybe even positive), one said "Warzones can't be individually selected.  I just don't like how it's implemented.  I wish warzones coule be ....".  But if someone cut and paste to hell, they might just quote the author as saying, SWTOR review: "I just don't like how it's implemented".  Bad reporting, bad argument.  It will haunt you.  Don't do it.  Highlight a portion of a quote you want to discuss (in a different color, font, size, whatever suits you), but don't delete the rest.  All there is to it.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    It is reasons like this that I uninstalled SWTOR and BF3 and purged Origin from my computers. I will never touch anything having to do with EA again. Let them survive off of their console sports franchises if they want.

I don´t get people like this. EA is a freakin´ game distributor, those EA haters have a serious problem with their boycot attitude.

(Which I think is nothing but Internet acting and they buy EA distributed stuff anyway from multiple studios)

You behave like a kid telling court the big bad man in black from EA came to your house and hit you with a baseball bat and kidnapped your mommy.

Sheesh...

EA its a company that gets healthy good companies, throw its faults to those companies and then destroy them. Other companies like EA dont do that or at least never reach the publicity (hope u get what im trying to say)

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

You pointed out that at least one of these members were laid off from EA. I'm sorry but that's not a big motivation to support EA games for rewards, quite the opposite. Perhaps what you say is true, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion without more information. If a lot of these folks were in fact laid off from EA then I think that tends to blow holes in your theory.

TOR got a lot of grief from the gaming community when in fact it is a good game. Perhaps it didn't live up to expectations and perhaps it couldn't compete with a game that's built up content over the past 8 years but it's still a good game. It could have been better and definitely could stand some improvement in specific areas, but it doesn't deserve the grief thrown at it by the community. The game is deserving of some strong criticisms, but from the start the hate toward the game had 'mob mentality' written all over it. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by BarakIII

You pointed out that at least one of these members were laid off from EA. I'm sorry but that's not a big motivation to support EA games for rewards, quite the opposite. Perhaps what you say is true, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion without more information. If a lot of these folks were in fact laid off from EA then I think that tends to blow holes in your theory.

TOR got a lot of grief from the gaming community when in fact it is a good game. Perhaps it didn't live up to expectations and perhaps it couldn't compete with a game that's built up content over the past 8 years but it's still a good game. It could have been better and definitely could stand some improvement in specific areas, but it doesn't deserve the grief thrown at it by the community. The game is deserving of some strong criticisms, but from the start the hate toward the game had 'mob mentality' written all over it. Just my opinion.

This.

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    I got the most mileage out of SWTOR of all the recent mmo releases. So I'd agree with them winning the award.
  • starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230
    well close to 2 million people voted to quit swtor award or not. thats lot people
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

awards are nothing

never judge a game or movie or TV series from their awards

some companies pay huge prices to give them a specific price / reward

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by BarakIII

Yeah, I have also played more SWToR than any other MMO recently. The rest of the recent releases lasted less than a month before I got tired of them.