Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i am worried--for this game

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Renamed

Why do you think earthrise, darkfall online, and mortal online were failures?

If a game developer sells only 50 thousand copies of a game at ~40$ each while it cost them ~1 million to create, then it was surely a successful game. Even if it was their only source of income. Why? Because it made far more than its cost.

Earthrise failed fast and hard - noone wanted to play it.  I really doubt that they sold more than 5-10k of copies.

MO is failing hard as well - they are losing money everyday. 300k $ in last quarter.

DFO - well that's propably only game of those three that maybe did not create loss.

Though It propably was most expensive of all those games.  

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

People are quick to forget that Blizzard was started by like 3 guys in a basement and Microsoft started out as 2 guys doing who knows what using who knows what.

Is it so far fetched that a larger team with modern tools can't create a single, solid, MMORPG?

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

I wouldnt worry about this game, I think it will be a pretty good niche title and will have a small devoted fanbase.  I pledged some bucks when they had the QS thing going and I have confidence in them that they will do a good job.  I know it wont be perfect and sure it will have some bugs, but no MMO is perfect.

To be honest,  I have more for this game ten-fold than I do with SWTOR or Tera at this point.

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

If a game developer sells only 50 thousand copies of a game at ~40$ each while it cost them ~1 million to create, then it was surely a successful game. Even if it was their only source of income. Why? Because it made far more than its cost.

dont treat MMOs as a Single Player games

a successful MMO need to stay at least 3 years (with today's how many MMOs are, and how much they stay overall so far)

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Xerves - JC Smith.... have you considered a flagging system so you can have one rule set rather than different server types? Also SWGs bounty system was great! Is there going to be other non combat roles besides crafting such as doctors or entertainer type roles?
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Terranah
     If this game releases at all it is more apt to be released in horrid condition.  But that said, miracles can and do happen, so let's wait and see because they do have some pretty good ideas.

If you referring to past experiences of other indie titles like Earthrise, you gotta realise that many of those run on borrowed money. The need to pay them back. Hence why they tend to release early and fluff up.

Repop is fuelled by volunteers. They don't have to pay much and they don't have to release early. Even if they are not great they will at least be Mount & Blade or DayZ in terms of the quality of gameplay (which is pretty damn good considering where they started from).

The bigger the starting budget, the more people you have to be responsible for, because the money's gotta come from somewhere.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by defector1968

dont treat MMOs as a Single Player games

I believe, in MY opinion and in what I am looking for, a successful MMO need to stay at least 3 years (with today's how many MMOs are, and how much they stay overall so far)

Fixed that for you, buddy

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

People are quick to forget that Blizzard was started by like 3 guys in a basement and Microsoft started out as 2 guys doing who knows what using who knows what.

Is it so far fetched that a larger team with modern tools can't create a single, solid, MMORPG?

Neither Blizzard or Microsoft started off with mmos to get into gaming. They made singleplayer games for years first.

Bioware is a prime example of what happens when even talented singleplayer developers try to make games in a genre they have absolutely no experience in..

Dos was coded using assembly code. That's a lot harder than anything any developer ever have to use today.

First Warcraft was created before anything even remotely resembling or even the concept of "game engine" was invented. Everything coded from scratch. Again much more of an endeavour compare to developing games today.

It's got nothing to do with experience. It has to do with whether they have the will or whether have a lot of stakeholders. The more stakeholders there is, the more messy things would get because everyone has different opinions and the winning opinion is usually where the money is.

• IzItMeOrUAllIzItMeOrUAll Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Neither Blizzard or Microsoft started off with mmos to get into gaming. They made singleplayer games for years first.

Bioware is a prime example of what happens when even talented singleplayer developers try to make games in a genre they have absolutely no experience in..

Dos was coded using assembly code. That's a lot harder than anything any developer ever have to use today.

First Warcraft was created before anything even remotely resembling or even the concept of "game engine" was invented. Everything coded from scratch. Again much more of an endeavour compare to developing games today.

It's got nothing to do with experience. It has to do with whether they have the will or whether have a lot of stakeholders. The more stakeholders there is, the more messy things would get because everyone has different opinions and the winning opinion is usually where the money is.

I agree 100% ^^

I also didn't see Blizzard panhandling money from "potential customers" back then, either. I'm sorry, but the second I see Kickstarter or similar crap tied to a games development, i write that game off until i see a finished product.

Another reason Blizzard made it big so fast was literally little competition. Nowadays, there's hundreds of mmos of all degrees of quality and price. This is no longer the land of the quick buck it used to be.

I don't think that is consequential at all. Mount & Blade did the same, they asked for money for a beta game all the way until v1.0, didn't turn out badly.

Different developers are different.

Also, Blizzard wasn't the first and they do have stiff competition (until they did things much better than other competitors that they left them behind). From the same period there was:

C&C1

Dune2

Total Annihilation

C&C Red Alert

Age of Empires

Just to name a few.

Blizzard didn't even started the genre. It was just that the did very good in it.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

With regards to a flagging system (sorry didn't see that post before)...

On the regular servers you can choose to be Active or Reserve in the military.  The default is reserve, and that offers you protection in your factions uncontested areas (which for OWON and FPR are very large). You will still be able to be killed in the contested areas. It's set up similar to how DAoC's frontiers were set up. You can advance your character completely in the protected areas, you don't have to PvP if you don't wish. Cities are created in the contested areas though, and rival nations will be able to kill you when in those areas. Your guards and turrets (which will spawn in the player created cities) will protect you in those areas though.

I think the main problem with a flagging system on the normal servers would be that it would eliminate the territory control features. Controlling certain areas allows you to create choke points, control resources, etc. But that isn't really possible if players can avoid the PvP and just run by the players defending them. I think its a feature that works well in some games, but not too much to Repop. We are open to the idea of a PvE server if there is enough demand for it though.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Thanks for the update as far as flagging goes. I seeyour point completely. What about bounties? One one the most fun things to do in SWG was hunting down other players and ambushing them! With a third faction that can take either side things could get dramatic to say the least. Nothing like basking in the hate of a player you just collected on, especially when you had just won there trust muahaha!
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by ArcheAgeFan

Ok i did some look into this game from kickstarter, this game is suppose to be mmo earthrise independent dev whos making them.

There are a few concerns, hero engine---- swtor anyone?

and well they made $53,000 from kickstarter, archeage has $50 million usd and is also hybrid themepark/ but mroe toward sandbox style of gameplay.

3rd what makes you think this wont be another earthrise, darkfall online, and mortal online?

What makes you think ArchAge will ever be released in NA/EU and, if it does get released here, what makes you think it will do better than DF or MO?

See what I did thar?

XLgames (the company behind AA) has already confirmed they will be launching NA and EU roughly 1 year after Korean launch, i don't have the link right now, but you'll sure to find it if you google it :)

Well atleast i am 110% sure it'll do alot better than MO, with the "new coming" of DF i can't really say, i'm gonna play that baby, but AA is still atleast 1½ years away.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

You need to research the hero engine. It has many more features than what you see in SWTOR. It is a really good engine.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

ROFL, darkfall was a failure says who????   If they failed they would of went offline and no one would of invested into them to make a new game, just because these games did not have a million subs or you didn't like it, does not make ita failure.

Earthrise was a failure, mainly because the devs used there own engine and had no clue how to fix issues, Mortal online and its online making money 2 years or so, not millions , but making money.... 2 expansions so far, so again, failure says who?

If you had a buisness and you made money, you think its a failure, I feel sorry for you, just like SWTOR was a not a failure, it did not meant what we all expected, but there still is a steady fan base for the game and they made back there money and then some, so its funny when gamers use the word failure in game design...

Games do not fail, unless they go offline, or they do not make money ,  if they do not make money chances are they go offline...

Neither Blizzard or Microsoft started off with mmos to get into gaming. They made singleplayer games for years first. And even then, Microsoft never managed to launch a successful mmo.

Bioware is a prime example of what happens when even talented singleplayer developers try to make games in a genre they have absolutely no experience in.

Wrong, they worked with Asheron call 1 with turbine at the start, once MS left AC1 went down hill, MS kept the game going great ..!, Age of Empire Online did Ok....

Originally posted by Vunak23

Ive been burned by way to many indie developers. Not getting excited for this. Will sit back and wait for a playable demo/trial/beta before i drop change on another indie game.

But with that being said I wish the team luck and hope they can create a quality product. But trying to compare this game to ArcheAge is just dumb. ArcheAge has a very very good team behind it, a good budget, argueably the best engine out, and a very smart lead designer and amazing artists/animators.

Cryengine 3 is not the best engine on the market, sorry to say, I use it, I use Unity 3D, UDK, etc,  CRYENGINE has come along ways, but most of you have not played games on it yet, it is very buggy to work with, very, very, oh did I say very, it has some amazing tools though which I love, oh did I say buggy...

I personally would give an Indie my money because atleast they love there game and player base, you claim you been burnt by many indies, name a few??   I have played every P2P game on the market MMo wise and yet have I been burnt, I have got my moneys worth, even Earthrise went offlline and I got my moneys worth so it doesn't bother me.

If feel you been burnt maybe its time for a new hobby, because I know many people who felt burnt by AAA 's Rift feels like WOW in a new skin and such, just saying, so I respect your opinion, Indies need to start somewhere , and most do it because they love games, not for the money like AAA's do..

So they deserve our respect atleast some what, the game is gonna be free so not sure what some people are making comments about, yes you can spend money for this and that, but thats your choice.  I personally would not make the game F2P like they are  doing.. Yes this is the market, and I ahve a  degree in Game Production and studied it, and the games I make yes free because they are ones that take very little time, but the bigger projects no way.

They should do B2P with a store to sell fluff and such if I was them.... Or like Dawntide, fee to download, but 10 bucks a month, and a life time of 120 bucks, or something like that.

I feel indies should sell for a bit cheaper but not alot cheaper, because if you find the game fun, then paying 50 bucks, and 15 a month is a cheap hobby, but hey thats me.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

To be fair to Hero Engine, SWTOR was using an aphla version of it and heavily modified to the point it is almost an abomination .

BUT like someone mentioned, we have yet to see any amazing mmo created by hero engine, it is unknown that whether the current hero engine can live up to their expectation/hype, i guess we have to wait and see until Repop or TESO comes out..i know i know TESO doesn't use hero engine..or is it.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Ok i did some look into this game from kickstarter, this game is suppose to be mmo earthrise independent dev whos making them.

and well they made $53,000 from kickstarter, archeage has $50 million usd and is also hybrid themepark/ but mroe toward sandbox style of gameplay.

3rd what makes you think this wont be another earthrise, darkfall online, and mortal online?

again with the hero engine bashing?

The version SWTOR used was a very early version and bioware managed to make a total mess of it anyway.

The hero engnie is a very capable engine and the devs going with this engine probally saved then shit load of cash.

Hero engine is capable of doing many different things, its can do massive open world games and has all the net code built in to deal with this, it can do fps combat, it can do tab based combat, it can do first person, it can do 3rd person wahtever you want really when you get into it.

Sure the graphics side of things are not up to Crysis standards but its a very capable engine and does support some nice features.

Another earthrise, Darkfall or MO...

Well Darkfall was an awesome game some of the best fun i have had in a mmorpg and probally the one i have played the longest.

MO is also a good game once you get part the very big learning curve.. of course most people will log on realise they cant jump or run and quit but there we go.

Earthrise well it was so buggy and the devs didnt do anything about it, shame really but there we go.

The guys working on the repopulation have been working on it for years now and i believe the kickstarter funding was needed to help finish off some of the features..

So dont go worrying about this game lol

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Caldrin

again with the hero engine bashing?

The version SWTOR used was a very early version and bioware managed to make a total mess of it anyway.

The hero engnie is a very capable engine and the devs going with this engine probally saved then shit load of cash.

Hero engine is capable of doing many different things, its can do massive open world games and has all the net code built in to deal with this, it can do fps combat, it can do tab based combat, it can do first person, it can do 3rd person wahtever you want really when you get into it.

Sure the graphics side of things are not up to Crysis standards but its a very capable engine and does support some nice features.

Another earthrise, Darkfall or MO...

Well Darkfall was an awesome game some of the best fun i have had in a mmorpg and probally the one i have played the longest.

MO is also a good game once you get part the very big learning curve.. of course most people will log on realise they cant jump or run and quit but there we go.

Earthrise well it was so buggy and the devs didnt do anything about it, shame really but there we go.

The guys working on the repopulation have been working on it for years now and i believe the kickstarter funding was needed to help finish off some of the features..

So dont go worrying about this game lol

The Kickstarter campaign was prompted to improve polish mainly in the graphics department (and yes, it was needed). 

Also, as they said, Hero Engine has little to do with SWTOR. Bioware bought an incomplete, early build of the engine back in 2006 and then heavily modified on their own. The Hero Engine is a much different beast right now, in a positive way. 

Just a few days ago they released a major alpha update on the test server, including things like:

• Large address aware client, and certain server processes
    • SpeedTree 6.0
    • Custom, configurable shader support
    • Improved default shadows (which you can always rewrite if you want)
    • Localization
    • XInput for gamepad, joystick, steering wheel, etc input support
    • FreeType font support
    • New GM Note drawing functions including lines, circles, squares, and polygons
    • Improved HeroBlade UI / UX
    • Improved Repository Browser UI
    • New render panel options exposed through HSL
    • Support for non-HeroMaterials in Max and Maya
    • Client and client graphics performance improvements
    • Nvidia 3DVision stereo video support
    • Faster shader loading, and improved support for local shaders and editing
    • Correct color support for sRGB textures, and linear color space
    • High Dynamic Range (HDR) rendering
    • Autodesk Max 2013, Maya 2013 support
    • Overall client performance improvements

P.S.: caldrin, you're the one from Forumfall right?

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by JR4D

@ OP

You really don't have to worry at this point.

I actually got full faith in this dev team and hope their game is truley a success story and if it is, well it will definitely turn heads against the bigger corps on what kind of mmorpg we all are looking for.

I never have any form of faith to developers until I see the final product these days after some games I followed that didn't  turned out as good as I hoped for.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Im all in on this game.  After playing so many AAA mmo's and only finding slivers of enjoyment in any of them, I've come to realize that it's the indie devs that should get my money and the Corporate, hurry up and get it done, devs need to be cutoff from such funding.  

These guys are putting everything they have into this, are having fun and are doing it mostly for free.  This is an even better sign because it shows they truly do love it and will make a game that they envision, not a game that random stakeholders want to make money on this very instant.

• AtrocitusAtrocitus Member UncommonPosts: 85

If BIOWARE, who had hundreds of employees couldn't handle the problems this engine put out, in no way can the 4 developers making this game be any more successful...

Lets be logical people.........lol geez

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Originally posted by Atrocitus

If BIOWARE, who had hundreds of employees couldn't handle the problems this engine put out, in no way can the 4 developers making this game be any more successful...

Lets be logical people.........lol geez

Boy, you are cranking tonite.   If we were being logical, we might note that the creators of the Hero Engine have been working on it for years now.  Perhaps it has moved on a bit from that early version?  

Also, the call to authority of Bioware's 'hundreds of employees' falls kind of flat.  There are countless examples of companies with hundreds and even thousands of employees, who couldn't manage a job.  While other similar competitors did.  You know?

Every game engine has issues.  The better the game, the less those matter.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    bioware
    was
    corrupted
    by
    EA
    just
    kidding