Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why TERA combat is better than GW2

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty
    Originally posted by Dkompoze
    Tera was/is poop, for combat  Vindictus was better,for everything else gw2 is better.

why is tera combat poop?

While his use of words may not be perfect I agree totally with his stance that Dragon Nest/Vindictus have the best combat out there with GW2 being good and TERA poor.  I find TERA's combat terrible due to the animation lock.  People keep telling me how great it is to be self rooted but I just don't see what's so great about it.  GW2 sword Ranger kind of has the self root going and people pretty much refuse to play it (not sure if it's a bug or what).

And that video does not look like much skill other than the skill of not falling asleep at the computer.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by afhn2110

In GW2...(task you to try if you don't  believe me) if you are a ranged class you can close your eyes, press the tab button and spam your nuke cycle, whatever it is you choose.  There's a point that you will get to know that no one can still be alive, esp. if you are a necro...keeping your eyes closed...press tab again...rinse repeat.  You don't believe me...try it...

Ranged class...

esp. if you are a necro...

You know Necromancers have two main ranged Weapons, Scepter and Staff, right?   

With my eyes closed that's basically one ability I can use with my Staff, my autoattack, which is terrible, considering the OTHER FOUR are ground-targeted marks the mob has to be standing on.  

The Scepter is a condition based weapon with terrible damage, and it's also terrible, comparitively, to most other classes ability to stack bleeds.  Literally have to switch weapons, pop in and out of DS, and use utilities to get high stacks of bleeds. 

Necromancers and 'nuke cycle' do not even belong in the same sentence.  So, please, tell me what nuke cycle you're using on your Necro?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Wow, I couldn't watch that whole thing.  This is supposed to be superior combat?  That had to be the slowest dragon in creation, every move could be easily avoided, and he charged 30 yards at nothing...

Tera isn't competing with GW2, it's competing wtih Ambien.

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    I nearly wanted to pick up my Slayer again.. but as you know what makes an MMO great is all its systems combined, and sadly Tera might lack on content that GW2 covers.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Yamota

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLyCesCR2I0&feature=g-vrec

What that guy is doing would be the equivalent of a melee in GW 2, killing a lvl 80 champion mob by himself. It cannot be done because GW 2 has hybrid skill based and most of the combat is by dice rolls. However in TERA, if you are good enough, you can pretty much beat anything with a Warrior class.

And for you people who think locking you in place is bad, that is intentional. It makes the combat more skill-based as you have to time your attacks.

So to be clear here, I do think GW 2 is a superior overall game to TERA but I really miss the combat in the latter one. It is far more based on your skills than anything else.

... might want to find a different video. I certainly hope that wasn't intended to be a group fight. You are right it's almost impossible to do something like this in GW2 because even a ranger mob from Ascalonian Catcombs is a harder fight than that dragon. Hell, lower level "Champions" from GW2 would destroy that dragon lol!

Hopefully not all higher level mobs are that easy.  

• thefounderthefounder Member Posts: 19
    @OP... thank you for this post and the video link.  it has reminded me exactly why i quit TERA and why i love Guild Wars 2.
  • tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Don't mistake bad/clunky AI for great combat. It's no fun when the enemy is so damn predictable that it becomes as easy as it is in the video. I mean come on... everything the enemy does can be avoided >.<
  • taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by taus01

I agree, best mmo combat system. Just feels right and is fluid and interesting. The biggest point however is: You can get better at combat! 

GW2 combat feel clinky and restricted, there is no room to grow and get better at combat. You are limited by the skills and the design of the game.

The action based combat in TERA gives you so the room to improve.

I disagree, I am constantly finding new ways on my Mesmer to effectively mitigate damage and deal it out quicker with the exact same set of skills. I don't know how you play, but GW2 is a constantly moving combat if you are standing still and just popping your skilsl you are gonna get destroyed just like Tera.

Heck, just yesterday I finally discovered that I can use my clones to take ranged dmg for me by just standing behind them...lol go figure.

Have you ever played an Elementalist? You seriously have to be able to swap between 4 different attunements consisting of 5 abilities each in order to survive really well and be effective. It takes a lot of skill.

Tera requires skill too, but to be honest a lot of it is just dodging at the right time. All these bam videos largely consist of dodge+basic attack.

If you don't think GW2 is action based combat you clearly haven't played it at all.

The problem with GW2 are the controls, they are just not up to standard. Add to that the animation lag, general game lag and worst camera ever.

It does not help that the game is horribly balanced in general and get's stealth nerfed/buffed weekly.

GW2 has it's bright moments, i agree. It's a good system but it needs work. The state it is in right now is not as good as TERA.

TERA however is a pure quest grind and has no depth at all.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by tkoreaper
    Don't mistake bad/clunky AI for great combat. It's no fun when the enemy is so damn predictable that it becomes as easy as it is in the video. I mean come on... everything the enemy does can be avoided >.<

this was one of my issues with TERA combat.. the attacks of most mobs were way to easy to telegraph making it not as interesting as it could of been. That on top of how the movements from one skill to the other did not transition very well in many cases.. those two things are one of the main reasons I enjoy GW2 combat more it has imho much better fluidity between differn't attacks and much harder to telegraph many of the enemies movements. By the time i got upto near 30 in TERA most enemies i fought followed a very basic pattern(depending on the mob type) and once you learn it it was very easy to avoid most hits.. in GW2 i generally don't even have time to react in many cases between all the CC thrown out by a number of enemies and the instant cast hard hitting abilities they dish out as well. I loved the artwork in TERA but even feel Raiderz has a better combat system than TERA does.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well i don't think we are quite on the same page,but i eluded to somethign similar when i mentioned in some post about gaming/combat CAP.

This means a game that is really well desiged can give skilled players a lot of enjoyment and challenge from combat.The poorly designed games have such a locked in cap that you no matter what can ever go above and beyond what yo uexpect from kills and deaths.

FFXI was the game that imo did an amazing job with it's hybrid combat structure.A Red MAge for example could take down far superior enemies SOLO where many groups could not.You also need a game that allows players to react,if combat is too fast then it is just a button spam fest,no thinking time to allow for better combat.

pretty mcuh every game is the same ,we know a level 20 will be an even match to a level 20 player.Some games do this so bad they can easily defeat a even match with little trouble but go two levels above and your dead.In FFXi a skilled RDM can fight a mob  5-15 levels tougher but at the same time the even match can be very challenging,that is what i call a much broader CAP on combat design,it allows for more fun and more challenge.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

What that guy is doing would be the equivalent of a melee in GW 2, killing a lvl 80 champion mob by himself. It cannot be done because GW 2 has hybrid skill based and most of the combat is by dice rolls. However in TERA, if you are good enough, you can pretty much beat anything with a Warrior class.

And for you people who think locking you in place is bad, that is intentional. It makes the combat more skill-based as you have to time your attacks.

So to be clear here, I do think GW 2 is a superior overall game to TERA but I really miss the combat in the latter one. It is far more based on your skills than anything else.

Combat animations locking you in place makes the game more skill based? You are joking, right? Tera is merging servers and not doing well. GW2 has better combat based on the vast majority's opinion due to the sheer success of the game vs Tera. So you thinking that "being locked in place" makes for good combat mechanics is simply an opinion. An opinion on a game that is doing very poorly. 

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I don't want to get into saying gw2 has better combat because it is more popular, like some other people. I tried the Tera three day trial, and from my experience the combat can't hold a candle to the awesomness that is gw2 combat. Which is sad because that is Tera's best feature. 
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    I don't want to get into saying gw2 has better combat because it is more popular, like some other people. I tried the Tera three day trial, and from my experience the combat can't hold a candle to the awesomness that is gw2 combat. Which is sad because that is Tera's best feature. 

It really comes down to taste.

I know, right!!??

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Not commenting on which is actually better out of GW2 and Tera, but I am curious what it is about this video that is suppose to show Tera as being better...

This video makes me less interested in Tera, not sure what I'm missing.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Wow didn't expect this thread to become so big. Anyway, to address some of the posts here.

1. Those of you who say it is "easy" to solo kill a BAM and you are expected to be able to do it. Have you even played TERA? BAM's, at high level, are no way easy to kill and the only reason the warrior can do it is because it is a master in evading, IF you got the skills for it. Something which is not possible in GW 2 because you got two evades and then you are out of endurance so you can't do it consistently.
    2. Those of you who say it is "slow", well those BAM's hit for alot so 2-3 hits and you are dead so it has to be slow, otherwise the only way to kill one is by Zerging which btw is the only way to kill Champion mobs in GW 2.
    3. TERA's combat is pure aim based, meaning you can't target mobs as you can in GW 2 so it takes more skill to do it well in TERA. GW 2 combat is mostly about your gear and handling cooldowns, there is no aiming here, just getting in range.
    4. In TERA you can tank, if you are good, in GW 2 you can't tank, regardless of how good you are.
    TERA's combat IS superior to GW 2's. Keep in mind that I said in my original post that GW 2 is the superior game of the two and that is because MMO's is not all about combat.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Quicksand

Not commenting on which is actually better out of GW2 and Tera, but I am curious what it is about this video that is suppose to show Tera as being better...

This video makes me less interested in Tera, not sure what I'm missing.

It shows, that if you are skilled, you can take down the toughest mobs in the game by yourself. Not so in GW 2 as the outcome is mostly based on dice rolls and not your skill. In TERA it is maybe 75/25 skill/dice rolls, in GW 2 it is 25/75.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Celcius

Combat animations locking you in place makes the game more skill based? You are joking, right? Tera is merging servers and not doing well. GW2 has better combat based on the vast majority's opinion due to the sheer success of the game vs Tera. So you thinking that "being locked in place" makes for good combat mechanics is simply an opinion. An opinion on a game that is doing very poorly. 

Ahem, then why do certain skills in GW2 lock you into place?

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Wow didn't expect this thread to become so big. Anyway, to address some of the posts here.

1. Those of you who say it is "easy" to solo kill a BAM and you are expected to be able to do it. Have you even played TERA? BAM's, at high level, are no way easy to kill and the only reason the warrior can do it is because it is a master in evading, IF you got the skills for it. Something which is not possible in GW 2 because you got two evades and then you are out of endurance so you can't do it consistently.
    2. Those of you who say it is "slow", well those BAM's hit for alot so 2-3 hits and you are dead so it has to be slow, otherwise the only way to kill one is by Zerging which btw is the only way to kill Champion mobs in GW 2.
    3. TERA's combat is pure aim based, meaning you can't target mobs as you can in GW 2 so it takes more skill to do it well in TERA. GW 2 combat is mostly about your gear and handling cooldowns, there is no aiming here, just getting in range.
    4. In TERA you can tank, if you are good, in GW 2 you can't tank, regardless of how good you are.
    TERA's combat IS superior to GW 2's. Keep in mind that I said in my original post that GW 2 is the superior game of the two and that is because MMO's is not all about combat.

Tera's combat is superior to just about every mmorpg out there. its fantastic.  However (other than the games looks) Tera has nothing to stand on other than the combat.  Ironically i felt that Tera had more and better content than GW2, other than Tera's lack of pvp at the time

[mod edit]

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

it's not but guess that's what opinions and tastes are all about..  some love tekken and think it's the best fighting system others feel that street fighter style is much better... neither is really right or wrong just matter of tastes.. not sure why some can't see that.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    unless you put a "for me" at the end of the title, this will be just another "Why blue is better than red". Remember that your oppinion its good unless you put it as "this is the best because i say it"

Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Tera's combat is superior to just about every mmorpg out there. its fantastic.  However (other than the games looks) Tera has nothing to stand on other than the combat.  Ironically i felt that Tera had more and better content than GW2, other than Tera's lack of pvp at the time

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Darkfalls combat is better than Tera's and gw2s combat is more fun than both of them. 

Originally posted by Varthander
    unless you put a "for me" at the end of the title, this will be just another "Why blue is better than red". Remember that your oppinion its good unless you put it as "this is the best because i say it"

That goes without saying therefor saying it is unnecessary. 

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    I'm sorry but Tera's combat doesn't look like anything special at all. That mob is attacking so slowly you'd have to be a complete retard not to dodge the large majority of its attacks.
  • RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODGE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6npO-NoOPOg

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

TERAs combat still reigns supreme, it is the best combat i've ever had the pleasure of experiencing, too bad TERA falls short in so many other ways.

Also that BAM is a fairly easy one, there's much harder ones, but still, all soloable. I still remember solo'ing an endgame instance called Fane of Kaprima before the new gear and dungeons came out...last boss alone took me 40 minutes and a plethora of healing potions, but it was pretty awesome.

Originally posted by Lydon
    I'm sorry but Tera's combat doesn't look like anything special at all. That mob is attacking so slowly you'd have to be a complete retard not to dodge the large majority of its attacks.

Drake's are slow, even when enraged.