Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion does housing above and beyond

RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I am really looking forward to Storm Legion.  Check out this short video of Trion's version of housing. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhSDMooGes

So frigging cool I can't believe it.

Currently playing:
Rift
Played:
SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
World of Warcraft, AoC

Comments

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Looks great and a step in the right direction for those of us that don't like 24/7 combat games. I wish LOTRO had this type of housing with their game with neighborhoods. Add player shops and I would be in heaven. I will come back or play a new game that has housing / player shops. 
  • ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    This just might pull me back in to check it out! Looks real awesome.
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    This is already the coolest "housing" system I have ever seen.  It would also be cool if they worked in aspects of player-crafted objects to furnish your personal dimension so that the crafters would get some love.  I really like a vibrant economy so that would be the cherry on top.  Hell, they might have worked that in, too.  I wouldn't put it past Trion to maximize the awesome.  Best dev ever.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Nice housing system.
  • DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69

I've never been a big fan of housing in MMOs ( too lazy to invest time in having a really cool looking virtual house ) but Trion seems to have done a stellar job when it comes to implementing their version of housing in Rift.

Definitely, another feature to look forward to when Storm Legion goes live. Always nice to  have this kind of stuff in MMOs.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Im looking forward to seeing some of the more creative interior designs to come out of this. One thing I enjoyed in SWG were the home shows. There were a few times I saw a look I really liked and hired the designer to decorate my place. I'll probably do the same here.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    I've never been too active with player housing but it looks really great in Rift.  I enjoyed it a bit in EQ2 but other than that I've never really played around with it much.  Might give it a try with Storm Legion since I plan on coming back anyway.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

It looks good but its no UO.

UO had the same creativity, but in common areas and allowed you to set up vendors (no auction houses) which motivated people to browse around.

Put a subset of this into common areas with vendors and I'd seriously consider it.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• Hydros13Hydros13 Member Posts: 30
    Sadly it is instanced housing... Wildstar is doing housing above (Literally) and beyond.
  • Wizlock23Wizlock23 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by marcust

UO had the same creativity, but in common areas and allowed you to set up vendors (no auction houses) which motivated people to browse around.

Put a subset of this into common areas with vendors and I'd seriously consider it.

Darkfall has exactly what u just described . check ou vids

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,048
    I am crazy about housing I had houses in Everquest 2 one in Freeport and one in Qeynos. Also in Vanguard oh blimey I am going to have to go back to Rift for this. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Nice thanks for link OP.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Aion has some pretty cool housing also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCjTM8wWLt4

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Instance housing is not my style. I'd rather wait for Wildstar and Archage. One of the many joys of housing in UO is that you could literally come across a "cabin in the woods" and take a short break before continuing on your journey.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The problem with Instanced housing is, no one cares.  To use the same example I always use, SWG's housing was not only functional in that you could put in crafting machines and vendors to sell things, but it was in-world.  Yes, they made a mess out of it, but that was because they never put the proper systems in place to manage it from the get go. 

I can't tell you how many shops I opened in different places, or how many themed and decorated homes I built.  I put a themed hunting lodge out in the middle of no where on Dantooine, and I would get in-game messages all the time from people who visited it and loved it.  People would actually hang out there and socialize.  Some of the player-placed Cantinas kicked ass too. Again, these are more examples of player-created content that really added to the overall experience.  I went to people's science labs, Jedi temples, Malls, meditation rooms and tons of killer houses and shops.  It was a blast.

Instanced housing is cool right up until you realize you are the only person who cares to use it, because there's no gameplay reason for anyone else to.

Edit:  Didn't even see the post above from Ramonski7 before I wrote this.  He tells the story from the other point of view.  Man I miss in-game functional housing.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    The word is that the housing will indeed have vendors, but I'm not entirely sure if it will launch with them or if they are being added later.  I am just thrilled at the flexibility they have included and the chance to make all kinds of different looks.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Will ghetto houses be available? I want to create a giant MMO ghetto city... Kind if like Detroit only you know.... Pixels.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Will ghetto houses be available? I want to create a giant MMO ghetto city... Kind if like Detroit only you know.... Pixels.

I'm referring to player controlled vendors for selling your own loot and crafted items.  This game will never have anything like that.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

I'm referring to player controlled vendors for selling your own loiot and crafted items.  This game will never have anything like that.

Like vendors for drugs? It could still work! 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Looks nice but it's instanced housing. Tough to get excited about instanced housing, nice break from combat I guess.
  • f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Wizlock23

Darkfall has exactly what u just described . check ou vids

Darkfall was a piss poor copy of UO.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by KingJiggly Will ghetto houses be available? I want to create a giant MMO ghetto city... Kind if like Detroit only you know.... Pixels.
    I'm referring to player controlled vendors for selling your own loot and crafted items.  This game will never have anything like that.

Never? They've already said they are planning to implement that exact feature in future updates.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Darkfall was a great game and I'm looking forward to DFUW, but its housing was very ordinary. Yes it was in common areas and yes it had a vendor but it wasnt really that customisable, not like UO. ANd having to find housing items in those treasure chests was just retarded.

I had one of the first houses in Darkfall US, near Chillbourne.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Looks pretty cool.  Reminds me of mix between EQ2 and Vanguard.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

You are absolutely correct. In UO, it was hard to see where you were placing objects, they didn't always stay where you put them, and they were pretty much butt-ugly. Not to mention how tedious the whole process was.

Yup, it's no UO.

Optional PvP = No PvP