Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Holy Trinity MMO?

First of all I know people are going to bash the holy trinity, fine. I don't care about other peoples feelings on this. After playing Guild Wars 2 for a few months now I am craving Holy Trinity dungeons. So my question is, what are the best Holy Trinity style dungeons out there? I'm talking a tank that keeps aggro the entire fight, a healer that keeps everyone alive by themselves, and DPS that can go do whatever DPS do when I'm busy actually contributing to the group. I played WoW for years and, while the game is fine, I just grew tired of it.

So, suggest away, and thank you ahead of time.

Comments

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Well, if you want that, and you liked WoW, try Rift.   With Storm Legion coming out soon as well it's perfect timing.
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Hands down, Rift.
  • DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594
    Yep rift

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• pacov81pacov81 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    RIFT!! o/ image
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tsw has the best dungeons, but there's only 8 of them (although they have 3 different difficulty levels)
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

If you have never played it before:  WoW 

If you prefer the Journey to the Destination: EQ2

If you live for max level and gear progression: Rift

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    I loathe trinity games with a passion but I have to hand it to WAR. Atleast they tried to mix it up a little - with varying results.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• KrovlarKrovlar Member Posts: 3

First off, thanks for the responses so far. My replies:

Rift: I am going to try it. I gave it a try when it first came out, but the sheer number of abilites I had access to was overwhelming. I am going to try and follow the suggested progression path this time and just leave abilities off of my bars if they are basically the same thing as another ability from a different soul.

TSW: I am interested, but as I don't own it yet I am leery of dropping $60 or so for a game that, for whatever reason, isn't doing too well subscription wise. Still, I am very interested in this game overall. How does the healing/tanking work? Is it more a FFA in dungeons, or very structures like other Trinity games?

WAR: The PVP in WAR was amazing, in the early levels. I hated the PVE, and I am honestly unsure exactly why. Maybe it wasn't dynamic enough, maybe it was the fact that compared to the PVP it was a slog, or maybe it was just that the combat was slower. Not really sure, and I might pick up the free trial and just PVE for a bit to see what my reasons were. Still, I can't consider this game seriously as there werent MANY dungeons, and I doubt many people are doing them nowdays.

EQ2: Wasn't bad, when I played it. The problem I think is that I am too late. Any dungeon group I found was either being carried by a higher level, or everyone knew exactly what was going on and despite me asking to slow down, we flew through areas of the dungeon so fast I had no idea what we were doing. It just eventually became me following people through hallways until they said we were done. That and the zones didn't seem very well thought out. There would just be random monster areas. One 30 foot area would have worms, rock elementals, rhinos, some humanoid mobs, and some fairies or something. It just seemed like haphazard, but again I didn't play for too long.

Thanks all for the suggestions, any more would be considered. Two more I have thoughts on:

Aion and Allods: Both look interesting, and I like their low level gameplay, but I get the sense that once I get high level the game is all about PVP, and even though I may be able to find PVE, PVP will be forced upon me whether I want that or not. For those reasons I am leery about these two.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tsw dungeons work best with
    1 person using a tank spec
    1 person using a heal spec
    2 people using dps specs
    1 person using a "bard" spec.

There's occasionally a free trial, which should give you enough time to play the 1st dungeon in its easiest mode, which will give you an idea of what the dungeons play like.

Typically tsw dungeons have very few trash packs and lots of bosses, they also involve lots of movement based mechanics.

In tsw you can switch your skills any time out of combat, and you have a huge bag which let's you carry several sets of gear.

It's a good quality pve game, unfortunately I'm more of a pvper and its pvp ain't that great.
  • Rift.

the current content in game, and content release schedule make it a no brainer. imho it's the only game on the market that's actually worth a sub fee.

edit: play it to level cap though, and make sure you're on a higher pop shard/server. the game really does start at 50. this is why the leveling process is so fast in game. can get to level cap in like 48 hours gameplay pretty easy. i'm guessing it's even easier now that you can level with instant adventures.

• Originally posted by Krovlar

Thanks all for the suggestions, any more would be considered. Two more I have thoughts on:

Aion and Allods: Both look interesting, and I like their low level gameplay, but I get the sense that once I get high level the game is all about PVP, and even though I may be able to find PVE, PVP will be forced upon me whether I want that or not. For those reasons I am leery about these two.

Allods isn't worth the space it would take up on your hard drive.

Aion is a different kind of game though. you may or may not like it. it really depends on the player type you are. it's free so give it a try.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Not sure why you would say EQ2 is about the journey, EQ2 is more about progression than either Rift or WoW. The EQ2 journey to max level can be done in 4 hours with potions and grinding the right areas.

Originally posted by Krovlar

Rift: I am going to try it. I gave it a try when it first came out, but the sheer number of abilites I had access to was overwhelming. I am going to try and follow the suggested progression path this time and just leave abilities off of my bars if they are basically the same thing as another ability from a different soul.

Okay, big tip here.  Rift has a built in macro system, use it.  When I first played it as well, having so many abilities, many with like 8s cooldowns, were ridiculous managing.   On my Rogue though, for instance, I set up macros to really cut it down.   And by really cut it down, I mean like 20+ to 5.   Which in itself is ridiculous.   The shifting abilities, of which I had about 6, were condensed down to 2 buttons to hit.  

I've read that they're going through the souls though for Storm Legion and modifying them so it may not be as bad.   I did watch their video for the rogue's new soul and they talked about the changes they've made to bard to really cut down the button mashing.  So things like that might change and be of help as well.  

Personally I don't think I'll get back into Rift even with Storm Legion, mainly for as terribly balanced their PvP always was, but I still think it probably is the top MMO subscription themepark you can get, especially if you don't want to be involved in PvP.   

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

EQ2

Not only had a Trinity but 5 different Roles

Tank, Healer, Buffer, CC, DPS

First 2 years of EQ2 is best Group experience of any MMO I played.

It is a pity SoE decided to turn EQ2 into a WoW expansion

Originally posted by ste2000

What a coincidence, they did the same thing with SWG2 as well, only called it SWTOR for some reason...

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    One thing people need to know about tanking in TSW is that you need to learn how to dodge. To the point where they have a trial fight for anyone wanting to do Nightmares. while the holy trinity is still somewhat there, if you take every hit in a nightmare dungeon your gonna die, Even with max hit points.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Not sure why you would say EQ2 is about the journey, EQ2 is more about progression than either Rift or WoW. The EQ2 journey to max level can be done in 4 hours with potions and grinding the right areas.

There is much more content in EQ2, larger variety of dungeons, numerous multi-staged group quests all along the way up.  Just because you could get a power level (and even on a double exp weekend it takes a lot longer than 4 hours, especially since AAs need to be factored in) doesnt take away from the fact that all this content exists, and is used.

Originally posted by Daddydazzle

Rift.

the game really does start at 50. 

And people wonder why Rift has populaton issues...

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Threatlevel0

What a coincidence, they did the same thing with SWG2 as well, only called it SWTOR for some reason...

Since when did SOE have anything whatsoever to do with SWTOR?

Anyway as to the OP's response regarding WAR. Yeah the PvP was pretty much the only good part. Unfortnatley the PvE was just stale and bland. PQs were a cool idea, but in WARs implementation are completely static and get extremely boring. On top of the lackluster PvE itself, PvE rewards are garbage. A couple years back the devs took a look at PvP / RvR progression and rewards, and overhauled a lot of them. They changed level requirements, stats, etc to make it better. Stuff that used to be for example a set of level 20 gear is now 15ish. What have they done with PvE rewards? Not a single damn thing. They are the same stats, same requirements, etc that they have always been. By the time you actually get some of the "good" PvE rewards, youre already wearing stuf fthat is 50% better from RvR. The only exception to this is a few of the LOTD weapons and trinkets.

Add on to the above that they turned theentire  focus of the game to keeping your Renown Rank maxed as much as possible, and youve got  agame where not only is the PvE bd, but it is also the most pointless thing in the game and like 95% of what very few players are left avoid it at all costs.

Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by Threatlevel0

Since when did SOE have anything whatsoever to do with SWTOR?

This isn't the SoE thread, I didn't mean SoE turned it into WoW, I just meant they changed SWG -> NGE -> SWTOR into WoW, moreso Lucas who was behind the whole thing to make Star Wars more "Iconic".   Not SoE.   But ya, terrible context I definetly see how I messed that up.  

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

TSW: I am interested, but as I don't own it yet I am leery of dropping $60 or so for a game that, for whatever reason, isn't doing too well subscription wise. Still, I am very interested in this game overall. How does the healing/tanking work? Is it more a FFA in dungeons, or very structures like other Trinity games?

WAR: The PVP in WAR was amazing, in the early levels. I hated the PVE, and I am honestly unsure exactly why. Maybe it wasn't dynamic enough, maybe it was the fact that compared to the PVP it was a slog, or maybe it was just that the combat was slower. Not really sure, and I might pick up the free trial and just PVE for a bit to see what my reasons were. Still, I can't consider this game seriously as there werent MANY dungeons, and I doubt many people are doing them nowdays.

EQ2: Wasn't bad, when I played it. The problem I think is that I am too late. Any dungeon group I found was either being carried by a higher level, or everyone knew exactly what was going on and despite me asking to slow down, we flew through areas of the dungeon so fast I had no idea what we were doing. It just eventually became me following people through hallways until they said we were done. That and the zones didn't seem very well thought out. There would just be random monster areas. One 30 foot area would have worms, rock elementals, rhinos, some humanoid mobs, and some fairies or something. It just seemed like haphazard, but again I didn't play for too long.

Regarding Rift, just macro rotations to hotbar. Same thing as pressing all the buttons in the order you want, but with a single button instead of many. Don't get use to this though. You will learn why I say that, later.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Originally posted by MMOExposed

Regarding Rift, just macro rotations to hotbar. Same thing as pressing all the buttons in the order you want, but with a single button instead of many. Don't get use to this though. You will learn why I say that, later.

NDA NDA!!! lol.

<3 Rift

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I never made it to the really high levels on Aion, but tanking in dungeons was fun - it definitely has that holy trilogy.

Like so many others also suggested, WoW does the holy Trinity very well (probably still the best that I've played in that regard).

I liked SWTOR's take on the trinity too, with the option to have partially ranged* tanks (Powertechs and Vanguards).

* "Partially" because they rely heavily on a melee attack (Rocketpunch for PT's, not sure what the VG version was called).

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• BlessingsBlessings Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Tsw dungeons work best with
    1 person using a tank spec
    1 person using a heal spec
    2 people using dps specs
    1 person using a "bard" spec.

There's occasionally a free trial, which should give you enough time to play the 1st dungeon in its easiest mode, which will give you an idea of what the dungeons play like.

Typically tsw dungeons have very few trash packs and lots of bosses, they also involve lots of movement based mechanics.

In tsw you can switch your skills any time out of combat, and you have a huge bag which let's you carry several sets of gear.

It's a good quality pve game, unfortunately I'm more of a pvper and its pvp ain't that great.

TSW dungeons work well with 1 tank with mostly dps gear, and 4 dps. Because of the skills you can use, if you're good, you can pick up the Holy Trinity, throw it out the window, and never look back.

My tank rolls with 12k hp and 3k AP, and I haven't played the game for several months. All of my gear was 10.4/10.4, with full epic signets. The dungeons could be run in 10 mins or less np.