Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why TERA combat is better than GW2

Comments

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by afhn2110

Not a good comparison comment tbh, for one GW2 was a much bigger title and way more people know about it.  Second, the question wasn't about the game, was about the combat. I think both games suck for what I like to see...but Tera combat trumps about any game in the market.

What's so good about Tera's combat.. especially since the topic is mainly the video presented by the OP. In gw2 you cannot really perform the way the char does in the video and survive... running circles around the mob doesn't work.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Oh Yamota. Poke the beehive and you shall be stung.

"I do think GW 2 is a superior overall game to TERA but I really miss the combat in the latter one."

I miss it too but when TERA's flopping in Korea and in the West and GW2 is on to two months post-launch, what good is it making threads like these?

GW2's combat won't change. TERA's world won't get any livelier...I'm just...I don't get this image

• EazydzzzEazydzzz Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by darwa

Anyone else think that by being able to do this by yourself actually makes TERA combat the inferior option?

After all, TERA and GW2 are meant to be MMOs, right?

Agree completely.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Looks super easy mode. That dragon isn't even doing much damage, if it was gw2 those attacks would be ripping that guys life bar to shreds but instead there just tickling him. Sure he feels epic though. Still funny to me how cats call single enimies mobs. I'll stick with gw2 thank you, atleast till blade and soul comes out....
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    Looks super easy mode. That dragon isn't even doing much damage, if it was gw2 those attacks would be ripping that guys life bar to shreds but instead there just tickling him. Sure he feels epic though. Still funny to me how cats call single enimies mobs. I'll stick with gw2 thank you, atleast till blade and soul comes out....

+1

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Sure he feels epic though. Still funny to me how cats call single enimies mobs.

Mob = mobile creature. It's a... very old term. Was used in MUDs.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by NBlitz

Oh Yamota. Poke the beehive and you shall be stung.

"I do think GW 2 is a superior overall game to TERA but I really miss the combat in the latter one."

I miss it too but when TERA's flopping in Korea and in the West and GW2 is on to two months post-launch, what good is it making threads like these?

GW2's combat won't change. TERA's world won't get any livelier...I'm just...I don't get this image

I agree, nothing will change. I personally would have put this discussion in the Tera forum trying to promote more players for that game. As you said, the hive of GW2 fans are not going to budge from what is something they like. 

Quite honestly I'm thinking of also playing TSW, and hoping someone would start a thread about it in the GW2 forum. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Anyone that says GW2 combat is better than Tera just hasn't played Tera, or its a person that just needs a tab target as its easier.   That said, Tera is a blast...but the pvp it just bad...no owpvp because everyone hides in safezones smply because there is no reason to go out in the ow...BG's are a joke....was fun, but for pvpers...look elsewhere.

I have played both. Tera system is made for the game world it was designed for and GW2 for its.

The question is what would happend if you took the combat systems and swapped them.  I'm wondering how Tera's combat system would hold up with GW2s AI and the action lock mechanics it uses. Would it be as awesome as the OP has stated?  Would the mobs out-perform the system?

Yay! Someone who actually posted something that makes sense. To bad this will probably be ignored by most people.

All combat systems are designed for the specific world and environment the developers are trying to acheive. Tera's combat system is amazing in the world of Tera. If you were to take the combat system from Tera and put it GW2, it would most likely be horrible, same with GW2 combat system being in Tera.

• EazydzzzEazydzzz Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Mob = mobile object block

Very old term indeed.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    The only, and let me repeat the ONLY reason why you can kill stuuff like that in melee in Tera is because the mobs telegraph for seconds, and move immensely slower then GW2.  Just look at the GW2CM (GW2 Combat Mode Mod) which basically turns the game into Tera combat and you still cant kill champions like that as a melee because GW2 has an infinetly more complex and robust Monster AI.  SO again GW2 shoots Tera down.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by bookworm438
    Anyone that says GW2 combat is better than Tera just hasn't played Tera, or its a person that just needs a tab target as its easier.   That said, Tera is a blast...but the pvp it just bad...no owpvp because everyone hides in safezones smply because there is no reason to go out in the ow...BG's are a joke....was fun, but for pvpers...look elsewhere.

I have played both. Tera system is made for the game world it was designed for and GW2 for its.

The question is what would happend if you took the combat systems and swapped them.  I'm wondering how Tera's combat system would hold up with GW2s AI and the action lock mechanics it uses. Would it be as awesome as the OP has stated?  Would the mobs out-perform the system?

Yay! Someone who actually posted something that makes sense. To bad this will probably be ignored by most people.

All combat systems are designed for the specific world and environment the developers are trying to acheive. Tera's combat system is amazing in the world of Tera. If you were to take the combat system from Tera and put it GW2, it would most likely be horrible, same with GW2 combat system being in Tera.

It doesnt really make sense.. to do that would be to mix the combat system and make something neithe gw2 or tera... the objective is comparison of the two. The op posted a video.... I guess his issue was the ability to feel epic... but in a sense.. i guess that applies to what you are saying... the combat in gw2 is more realistic and ppl have problems with that...in  a realistic world animals and monsters can and will kill you. it is not difficult to do.... intelligence is what makes humans stronger.. by fighting with tactics... its pointless to fight a monster who isn't really a threat... and that video makes it seem like that dragon.. isn't much of a threat.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Yamota

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLyCesCR2I0&feature=g-vrec

What that guy is doing would be the equivalent of a melee in GW 2, killing a lvl 80 champion mob by himself. It cannot be done because GW 2 has hybrid skill based and most of the combat is by dice rolls. However in TERA, if you are good enough, you can pretty much beat anything with a Warrior class.

And for you people who think locking you in place is bad, that is intentional. It makes the combat more skill-based as you have to time your attacks.

So to be clear here, I do think GW 2 is a superior overall game to TERA but I really miss the combat in the latter one. It is far more based on your skills than anything else.

I do agree that TERA combat is more fun (I own TERA) but at the same time it's very very boring. Why ? Because all mobs have VERY simple pattern and usually they "charge" their EVERY attack. So all you do is to move out the way when they "charge" and fire your attack when they finish. 

That's it. From lvl 1 to 80. I enjoy combat in GW2 much more BUT at the same time I don't like that you have no chance against mob +5 lvl above you (on lower lvl) while in TERA everything is possible.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    "This is why my dad is better then your dad."

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Eazydzzz
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Mob = mobile object block

Very old term indeed.

Well thank both of you for explaining that. Didn't make much sense to me. ;)

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    The only, and let me repeat the ONLY reason why you can kill stuuff like that in melee in Tera is because the mobs telegraph for seconds, and move immensely slower then GW2.  Just look at the GW2CM (GW2 Combat Mode Mod) which basically turns the game into Tera combat and you still cant kill champions like that as a melee because GW2 has an infinetly more complex and robust Monster AI.  SO again GW2 shoots Tera down.

+1

nice.. didn't consider that.. ill take another look.. i realized the mob was slow... didn't realize it telegraphed.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    as a fan of both game i do admit TERA's combat was better, BUT I am having more fun on my GW2 thief than any other mmo I've played in a loooooong time. I do miss TERA's warrior class, such a beautiful fluid class. Strategy, timing, and skill played such an important role in TERA's combat.
  • GorkosGorkos Member UncommonPosts: 76

in TERA, if you are good enough, you can pretty much beat anything with a Warrior class.

So TERA is an unbalanced MMO?! That's sad. I'm SICK of games where one of the classes can solo every PvE content... That's very unfair for other classes. In GW2, all the professions can solo the things that can be soloed (not including meta events and dungeons of course). I'm a Warrior, I solo well but squishy Eles and Thieves can solo just like me by kiting and using skills wisely. I saw this Ele kiting a boss like a boss (lol) the other day, did it faster and more effectively than me...

• RedrumickeyRedrumickey Member Posts: 13
    I think you all are missing the one point it looked like he was doing a dance with a gaint chicken. It  may or may be a better fight systrem but if it looks like a chicken , fights like a chicken and dances like a chicken thats fall from epic its just you doing the chicken dance.
  • austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

True, but what I'm gong to say some will hate on...but its a fact...if you don't believe me...try it.  In tera...you have to at least have some skill as you have to aim...plan what attack you are going to use as you can't always use the same sequence being that mobs and players will do things to offsent your attacks.

In GW2...(task you to try if you don't  believe me) if you are a ranged class you can close your eyes, press the tab button and spam your nuke cycle, whatever it is you choose.  There's a point that you will get to know that no one can still be alive, esp. if you are a necro...keeping your eyes closed...press tab again...rinse repeat.  You don't believe me...try it...

BS. Try this in cursed shore and you will be eaten alive. Monsters outrun you with swiftness, they pull you, stun you, daze you, inmobilise you, etc. Just walking around the map is a battle in and of itself.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Actually most fun I had in mmorpg combat was with Warden class in Lotro.  It was very specific type of combat controls which I havent' saw in any other game and in any other class in Lotro.  + in tab based games I really like queuing of skills.   Not many mmorpg's have it.  Think GW1 did also?
    Originally posted by Redrumickey
    I think you all are missing the one point it looked like he was doing a dance with a gaint chicken. It  may or may be a better fight systrem but if it looks like a chicken , fights like a chicken and dances like a chicken thats fall from epic its just you doing the chicken dance.

+1

Just for the value of my laughter.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by STDB

in TERA, if you are good enough, you can pretty much beat anything with a Warrior class.

So TERA is an unbalanced MMO?! That's sad. I'm SICK of games where one of the classes can solo every PvE content...

In Tera, other classes can solo pve content. some are just better than others at it. For instance, in Tera, a warrior is an avoidance tank.

Other classes can do more damage but have to really move out of the way. I play a lancer and I absolutely love fighting BAMS solo. But then that's more about patience.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Tera was/is poop, for combat  Vindictus was better,for everything else gw2 is better.
    Originally posted by Dkompoze
    Tera was/is poop, for combat  Vindictus was better,for everything else gw2 is better.

why is tera combat poop?

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by darwa

Anyone else think that by being able to do this by yourself actually makes TERA combat the inferior option?

After all, TERA and GW2 are meant to be MMOs, right?

You're totally right, you should be handcuffed by mechanics and dicerolls or it's not a real MMO!