Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has SOE changed?

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I'm so impressed by them with Planetside 2, they're listening to the community, they've had a Guild wars 2 like length of a beta so far and are actually treating it like a beta. They've made so many changes based on player feedback and it's amazing just how they're handling Planetside 2. They make you feel like a real part of a community with how they're designing the game and reading all the feedback. Planetside 2 from Alpha and to beta has progressed so much, each new patch adds so much good content and changes.

I never thought SOE would change..... I mean if they carry on like this Everquest 3 will end up being an open seamless world sandbox MMO with permadeath or something crazy hardcore lol. 

Edit: They haven't done some instanced small scale browser based FPS everyone thought they would. It's bigger, it's for the hardcore and it doesn't hold your hand or dumbed down in any way. It's the proper Planetside sequel we've been asking for all this time.

Comments

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Why EQ3?...they need to make SWG 2.0 somehow.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Jonoku

Whose to say the new Everquest couldn't combine IP and SWG game mechanics? It doesn't have to be Star Wars.

• tifalockharttifalockhart Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by tixylix

Whose to say the new Everquest couldn't combine IP and SWG game mechanics? It doesn't have to be Star Wars.

*faints*

Waiting For:Archeage
    current:Guild Wars 2
    past: EQ, EQ2, Planetside, SWG, Matrix Online, Ultima Online, WoW, CoH/CoV, Tabula Rasa, Pirates of the Burning sea, AoC, Eve Online, Startrek Online.Fallen Earth, Champions Online, SWTOR

I'd prefer a new IP all together for a sci-fi sandbox mmo, screw LucasArts.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Time will tell but if SoE is good at anything, its giving you one thing then completely changing it once they feel it isn't meeting market share estimates.

EQ2 and SWG(CU/NGE) anyone?

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

I agree that the words that come from SOE (yes, and from Mr. Smedley) lately sound good.

In all this ocean of casualness and convenience and streamlining SOE seems to follow another strategy lately, not so much the "hype and burn" to sell millions of boxes, but also with a view on the games' longevity.

Massively had a good article on Mr. Smedley's keynote at GDC online recently: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/11/gdc-online-2012-john-smedleys-keynote-on-mmo-trends-and-the-fu/

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Planetside 2 is succesor to non-instanced Planetside 1.    Also on instanced FPS they would have to compate against Call of Duty, Battlefield 3, CS and whole bunch of others.   Very competetive.   No idea why you thought they would make it difftent than it is now.  They would alienate Planetside 1 playerbase, confuse new players and enter insanely competetive arena FPS market.

Planetside 2 also is mmoFPS. So it does not have to transate to what they will do in mmoRPG market.

Also important is what SoE does AFTER release not BEFORE.     Many SOE mmorpg's underwent huge changes sometimes against it's communites AFTER release. Months or years after.

Besides SOE changed their model to freemium, for all games. (Yes EQNext also) So yeah they did change ;p

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I personally don't think they were ever "that bad" (personal opinion and you can not zilch to change it) but ofc they have changed, if it is enough... who knows that do depend on that scale you you use.

But i would guess that in the eyes of most burnt SOE vets... Nope. I say that the work they have done to DCUO and now with PS2 is showing a more careful and balanced look on things.

This have been a good conversation

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    A leopard never changes spots, but it does seem SOE may have learned some lessons, which is excellent news all round
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Probably not.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

Time will tell but if SoE is good at anything, its giving you one thing then completely changing it once they feel it isn't meeting market share estimates.

I would say at least 90% of people think EQ2 changed for the better, if not more.  And the changes werent that drastic anyway, and they absolutely were because of player feedback.  

SWG is one game, and one that SoE did not even have creative control over.  Its time to let that one go already.

Also the problem with trying to make a new IP for sci-fi is lack of creativity. People can't do what LucasArts and StarTrekArts or whatever can do, that is why there is a lack of sci-fi mmos in the first place. Most sci-fi mmos are lame.(All fantasy genre/story is lame imo.)

Making a new IP for sci-fi is hard but if they have the swg elements right, I think it will succed. ex: I went to GW2 regardless of the IP or genre, it has the elements that I love.

Originally posted by strangiato2112

SWG is one game, and one that SoE did not even have creative control over.  Its time to let that one go already.

So your saying everything that was in SWG that people loved should be gone forever? doesn't make any sense and not a smart move.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

I would say at least 90% of people think EQ2 changed for the better, if not more.  And the changes werent that drastic anyway, and they absolutely were because of player feedback.  

When EQ2 changed to a more WoW type play shortly after release and then dropped the station exchange on us, the population plummeted.  If memory serves, they lost nearly a 1/3 of the playerbase.  Far different from your 90% guess.

While they might not have been wholly responsible for SWG, they had a part in it.  To act as if they are blameless is ridiculous.  BTW, I'm over it, but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't exist because other people get irritated when it's brought up.  It happened, it's a sticking point for many, and very pertinent to this thread so you can let it go already.

EDIT: Just found this...

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

According to this chart from MMOdata.net, EQ2 peaked at around 330k subs, then when the changes and station exchange came about the subs plummeted to 175k.

So that means they nearly lost 1/2 their playerbase over the changes you claim 90% approved of.  Maybe you meant 90% of those that were left?

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162

No, their reason for being is still the hunt for the greatest profit.  The games still come second.

Has SOE changed their hunting techniques? Perhaps and that might not be such a bad thing.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    They sure aren't listening to their EU customers. They let a crappy F2P company handle all many of their titles in Europe, including PS2. Which is why I probably won't play it.

When EQ2 changed to a more WoW type play shortly after release and then dropped the station exchange on us, the population plummeted.  If memory serves, they lost nearly a 1/3 of the playerbase.  Far different from your 90% guess.

While they might not have been wholly responsible for SWG, they had a part in it.  To act as if they are blameless is ridiculous.  BTW, I'm over it, but I'm not going to pretend it doesn't exist because other people get irritated when it's brought up.  It happened, it's a sticking point for many, and very pertinent to this thread so you can let it go already.

EDIT: Just found this...

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

According to this chart from MMOdata.net, EQ2 peaked at around 330k subs, then when the changes and station exchange came about the subs plummeted to 175k.

So that means they nearly lost 1/2 their playerbase over the changes you claim 90% approved of.  Maybe you meant 90% of those that were left?

If you think they lost the player base due to fairly minor changes instead of the fact that EQ2 just wasnt that good until KoS and EoF you just dont live in reality.  

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Also the problem with trying to make a new IP for sci-fi is lack of creativity. People can't do what LucasArts and StarTrekArts or whatever can do, that is why there is a lack of sci-fi mmos in the first place. Most sci-fi mmos are lame.(All fantasy genre/story is lame imo.)Making a new IP for sci-fi is hard but if they have the swg elements right, I think it will succed. ex: I went to GW2 regardless of the IP or genre, it has the elements that I love.

The Repopulation is doing just this.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

Also the problem with trying to make a new IP for sci-fi is lack of creativity. People can't do what LucasArts and StarTrekArts or whatever can do, that is why there is a lack of sci-fi mmos in the first place. Most sci-fi mmos are lame.(All fantasy genre/story is lame imo.)

Making a new IP for sci-fi is hard but if they have the swg elements right, I think it will succed. ex: I went to GW2 regardless of the IP or genre, it has the elements that I love.

I'm totally with you man, up till the elements you love in GW2...

There was many things I loved about SWG, but I don't see any of them in GW2.   I'm playing GW2 as well right now, kind of casually, so I'm there with ya but what elements is it you love that are anything similar to SWG?  

I'd be happy with a Arcanum style setting, maybe more high-tech, as the Star Wars IP is basically just fantasy with lightsabers. Replace Jedi with magic and there you have it.   Honestly a setting designed for a MMORPG would be much more preferable to me at least.  Plus lightsabers everywhere gets boring, SWTOR was nothing but a saber-fest.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I will wait until I see what they are doing with EQ3

SoE is a big corporation and works very diffrerently from the average MMO developer, they are the EA of MMOs.

The way they work is through  numbers, graphics, marketing briefs and board meetings, that's why they've been so crap in the past 8 years.

Let's not forget that like it or not SoE created 2 of the most iconic MMO in history EQ and SWG......................Smedley should think about that instead of chasing the ghosts (WOW)

Originally posted by ste2000

Let's not forget that like it or not SoE created 2 of the most iconic MMO in history EQ and SWG......................Smedley should think about that instead of chasing the ghosts (WOW)

I think DCUO and PS2 already demonstrate that they arent chasing WoW

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Can't say it was Star Wars as well.

apart from the intro, stormtrooper armor and swoop bikes everything else could be replaced by different named mobs andnoone would notice.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    why does everyone have to chase wow just trae wow like it is...that dying whale out in the middle of the sea that all the other predators pick pieces off of till it dies. SOe unfortunatly is a conglomerate of studios, not every studio works on their games and some suck. That being said smed said the assets from SWG were going to be utilized in a new sandbox, he just didn't say when. SOE is being careful they took alot of financial blows the last 3-5 years and they see the trend of huge ip failures and they are approaching things differently. What hasn;'t changed is the gamers belief that eithe rthey should get everything free or everything should launch perfet out of the box, until that changes no amount of studio wizardy will change gaming

so say we all

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

DCUO is a console MMO, and a F2P one.

PS2 is a MMOFPS

None of these games can actually chase WoW, just by their concept.

If you think that SOE will not be chasing after WoW or atleast it's sub base with EQ3 you are out of your mind.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

When I say chasing WoW I mean making games eazy mode, very casual to attract the widest possible audiance.

DCUO is a s casual as it can gets, and pretty shallow.

PS2 at the moment is nothing special, they lost a good chance to make a real MMOFPS, again they've been very economical with the MMO features and focused more on features belonging to mainstream games like CoD and BF3.

A bold and innovative way to use Planetside IP would have been to make EVE on earth (or any planet of the galaxy of your choice), or even Darkfall

As it is now PS2 is a way to cash in on the popularity of FPS like Battlefield or Call of Duty.

I am playing Beta but really I can't see why I should pick PS2 over CoD.

So, in my view SoE hasn't changed yet.