Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have a dream of a revolution!

BadChaseBadChase Member UncommonPosts: 11

I have a dream!

A dream of a new kind of MMORPG.

A dream which incorporates older standards and newer technology.

A dream in which we finally find a good battle system over all classes instead of the push one button for one spell or skill.

A dream in which we, the players are the ones who develop our own stories, make our own worlds.

A dream in which we don't need end game raiding, WvW PVP, and a never-ending search for the best "loot".

And best of all, a game where Levels means the floor of a dungeon rather than the strength of a player.

Before you flame me, yes I know about SWG, about UO, about EVE and so on, and so on.

But SWG went down in flames, EVE is complicated only for the sake of being complicated, and well from what I have heard UO have a lot of problems too. I have tried Theme Park Co-OP MMOs (like WoW and GW2), instanced "MMO"s (Like Vindictus or Dragon Nest), Sandbox like MMOs (like EVE and more), and there has always been a problem or two with them.

Take EVE online for example, I can appreciate what it's doing and I'm glad we have it, but at the same time it wards of people from playing it because of it being too complicated, and probably more stuff depending on the person. Other Sandbox MMO's tries to be hardcore for the sake of being Hardcore, like Mortal Online.

So what do I mean? I mean that our priority should be, and always be creating the world and the tools for the players to be whoever they want to be. Let it be as complicated as the player wants, either through Economics or Politics, or why not make a proper crafting system, which is proper complex and where recipes are made by players or old "antique" recipes one can find in ruins.

A world in which you can make the kingdom to which you belong into a democracy, aristocracy, dictatorship or monarchy. In which the world will start out with a GM ruling the country you live in, and where it's the people in country that decide if the GM is continued being the Regent or starting a Revolution to overthrow it, where the Leader of the revolution will become the next regent, or if they choose to make it into a Democracy, the President.

A world in which we have the idea of Proper jobs, instead of some title that doesn't mean anything. In which you'll be a merchant if you make your living and spend most of your time trading. Or you'll get hired by the kingdom to protects it's citizens, and maybe even become promoted to Knight Captain. Maybe even become a General of the Army. Where you can be a Mercenary, maybe even start a Mercenary Band. Or if you want, just a traveler, or whatever you want. Maybe you'll even do errands for other players to get some money so you can spend it on a new weapon at that famous Player played Blacksmith.

And of course, since we have made it like that, the kingdom in itself would also be developed depending on it's citizens and politics/economics. For example a King who loves to fight or wants to rule all lands, might end up with a country more developed in war technology, and a war torn countryside. Or maybe your king has encouraged social development and now even lawyers and attorneys exist in which instead of GM's players sue each other ingame. Or where the kingdom has become the center of Trade because of free trade policies. Why not develop the kingdoms Magic or Technological development in which the crafters and researchers will be able to find even more new technology and "recipes".

Now go ahead and flame me for my wrongful impressions of games, and my idea for having a world that responds, reacts and develops with it's citizens. Even if it might not be a completely original Idea, then let's just bring back the time in which we built virtual worlds instead of "games". Oh and sorry for the long Post.

Comments

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Threatlevel0

I think the issue I'm seeing is all the modern, mainstream at least, MMORPG's are not  telling us how to play but rather where to play.  Oh you want to PvP?  Well you need to queue up for this instance, or go to this zone we set aside for you.  Want to play with your group against challenging enemies?  Then you need to queue up for this instance or go to this dungeon we set aside for you.  Want level solo?  Sure we have that, go through these story instances or follow these quests we aside for you.   

It's not about being forced how to play, at least I don't believe, it's just that we're all being brought into these massive worlds then told to go to our different corners based on our choices.  Sure we can play how we like, we just may not be playing together anymore.   Which many might find that totally acceptable now days, if you don't like PvP I'm sure you appreciate the fact that you don't have to even see it as their sent off somewhere else.  I'm sure everyone on here has seen the forum post that arise when anyone who doesn't like it, for their own reasons, are 'forced' to participate or even be near it to achieve any other part of the game they want.  "I just want this achievement why am I forced to go into a PvP zone?!?"  "I just want this gear why am I forced to raid?"  "I just want to finish my personal story why am I forced to do a dungeon?"

Is it no longer possible to design an MMO that doesn't segregrate the players?  It seems like if they are not it upsets a lot of customers.  Haves and have nots, geared vs non-geared, skilled vs unskilled, pvp vs pve, harcore vs casual, we're all at odds with each other.   If we can't get along, if we can't play peacefully with each other, what other choice does the developers have but to seperate us?  If not that, then they only focus on selling the game off as a niche, dedicated to one crowd.  Then we all know what we see, "If you don't enjoy this then this game is not for you."     

Personally, I enjoy all parts of an RPG.  So I'd love a MMORPG that was more...open I guess. Open to let us play together, by design, and not against or seperate from each other.  I have a dream...  I'd say about 47% of the MMO gaming population just believe their entitled to play their own way, to be geared, to achievements, and no matter what we do or say they'll never be convinced to take personal responsibility for themselves.

• BadChaseBadChase Member UncommonPosts: 11

I think the issue I'm seeing is all the modern, mainstream at least, MMORPG's are not  telling us how to play but rather where to play.  Oh you want to PvP?  Well you need to queue up for this instance, or go to this zone we set aside for you.  Want to play with your group against challenging enemies?  Then you need to queue up for this instance or go to this dungeon we set aside for you.  Want level solo?  Sure we have that, go through these story instances or follow these quests we aside for you.   

It's not about being forced how to play, at least I don't believe, it's just that we're all being brought into these massive worlds then told to go to our different corners based on our choices.  Sure we can play how we like, we just may not be playing together anymore.   Which many might find that totally acceptable now days, if you don't like PvP I'm sure you appreciate the fact that you don't have to even see it as their sent off somewhere else.  I'm sure everyone on here has seen the forum post that arise when anyone who doesn't like it, for their own reasons, are 'forced' to participate or even be near it to achieve any other part of the game they want.  "I just want this achievement why am I forced to go into a PvP zone?!?"  "I just want this gear why am I forced to raid?"  "I just want to finish my personal story why am I forced to do a dungeon?"

Is it no longer possible to design an MMO that doesn't segregrate the players?  It seems like if they are not it upsets a lot of customers.  Haves and have nots, geared vs non-geared, skilled vs unskilled, pvp vs pve, harcore vs casual, we're all at odds with each other.   If we can't get along, if we can't play peacefully with each other, what other choice does the developers have but to seperate us?  If not that, then they only focus on selling the game off as a niche, dedicated to one crowd.  Then we all know what we see, "If you don't enjoy this then this game is not for you."     

Personally, I enjoy all parts of an RPG.  So I'd love a MMORPG that was more...open I guess. Open to let us play together, by design, and not against or seperate from each other.  I have a dream...  I'd say about 47% of the MMO gaming population just believe their entitled to play their own way, to be geared, to achievements, and no matter what we do or say they'll never be convinced to take personal responsibility for themselves.

I understand completely what you are saying. I mean I enjoy playing Guild Wars 2, not rushing through the game and just enjoying being in the world. Two of my friends though, avid former WoW players, just rushed their way up to max level, then practically rage quit, because "there was no endgame". "No endgame" for them meant, "We can't raid our asses off as in WoW! This game is bad!".

EDIT: Still doesn't mean that I can let go of this "Dream" of mine.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Well.. you mean a real Role Playing Game? A real MMORPG? Well.. i dream of that too.. but i dare to believe that i may never see one. At least i started to dream of such a game since UO(and even before), but so many years were passing by, and it got just worst. At the time i played UO i really believed such a game would be possible in the near future, and i thought.. well 5 years with improving technology and improving game design it should really be doable. But now.. no, i start to believing we will never see a real MMORPG. But i hope i will proven wrong. Well the hope dies last. But my hope is dying already.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    So how about if you start coding your dream?  By the way, when does the beta start?
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    So how about if you start coding your dream?  By the way, when does the beta start?

I would if I had the know how. Unfortunately, I'm more the type who has ideas and "dreams" on things which I have no know-how. Unfortunately.

That doesn't mean I can't dream about stuff. Like how they dreamt about the flying cars in the 60's, that we should have had by now. Haha

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Does older standards mean lower standards?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

No. Why would it mean that?

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by BadChase

Anything over three weeks old is past it's sell by date, didn't you get the memo?

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Because old games had lower standards. Didn't you play them?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

The gift that keeps on giving.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I dream the unimaginable, in which even I can't imagine nor einstein.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Okay, so you are going to argue English with someone who's English is a second language? Did you even read the rest? Or would you rather chastise me for writing something that apparently wasn't well thought out, now that I think about it? Hahaha

Okay, so you are going to argue English with someone who's English is a second language? Did you even read the rest? Or would you rather chastise me for writing something that apparently wasn't well thought out, now that I think about it? Hahaha

It was a comment with regards to the other poster.

It was a comment with regards to the other poster.

Yes sorry. It was just me being my lazy self and not reading properly. Hahaha.

I am actually a master of computer science and know enough about network programming, and i would be able to work me into 3D engines and all other stuff.

BUT, you cant do a MMO with the knowledge alone. You need a lot of money, and a lot of talented ppl for such a huge undergoing. And then a lot of time to start with it and do it. No i will pass for now. And therefore i have to laught sometimes if i read about some ppl and there dream of making a mmo without the technology knowing and any money. On the other side some modders have made some incredible content with not that much of money, knowledge and effort. But a mmo? No, not really. At least not one i would like to play.

But maybe a small smartphone game with very simply mechanics for the quick cash. ;)

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Apraxis

I am actually a master of computer science and know enough about network programming, and i would be able to work me into 3D engines and all other stuff.

BUT, you cant do a MMO with the knowledge alone. You need a lot of money, and a lot of talented ppl for such a huge undergoing. And then a lot of time to start with it and do it. No i will pass for now. And therefore i have to laught sometimes if i read about some ppl and there dream of making a mmo without the technology knowing and any money. On the other side some modders have made some incredible content with not that much of money, knowledge and effort. But a mmo? No, not really. At least not one i would like to play.

But maybe a small smartphone game with very simply mechanics for the quick cash. ;)

Minecraft the MMO.

Yeah. Minecraft, DayZ and Mount&Blade all of them have similarity to MMOs, all of them are basicly done by one(or two) guys, and all of them are great. But non of them is actually a MMO for a good reason. And i like all of them. Yeah, something along those line would make sense to try to accomplish. Maybe i will start with something like that in one or two year, when i can afford to take 1-2 years off for a hobby. :D
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Take EVE online for example, I can appreciate what it's doing and I'm glad we have it, but at the same time it wards of people from playing it because of it being too complicated, and probably more stuff depending on the person. Other Sandbox MMO's tries to be hardcore for the sake of being Hardcore, like Mortal Online.

Good!  If a player is too lazy to learn the game they would not succeed anyway.  It's nice to have a game that doesn't cater to players with the attention span of a gnat.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Demonstrate a system that works.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by anemo

Demonstrate a system that works.

The Nintendo Entertainment System.  Plug it in, plug in a controller or two.  Insert Romance of the Three Kingdoms, play until you either you or you childhood buddy falls asleep or the sun comes up.

The NES was a system that worked.