Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why TERA combat is better than GW2

YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLyCesCR2I0&feature=g-vrec

What that guy is doing would be the equivalent of a melee in GW 2, killing a lvl 80 champion mob by himself. It cannot be done because GW 2 has hybrid skill based and most of the combat is by dice rolls. However in TERA, if you are good enough, you can pretty much beat anything with a Warrior class.

And for you people who think locking you in place is bad, that is intentional. It makes the combat more skill-based as you have to time your attacks.

So to be clear here, I do think GW 2 is a superior overall game to TERA but I really miss the combat in the latter one. It is far more based on your skills than anything else.

Comments

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    To be honest. I have trouble fathoming how anyone thinks gw2 has a better combat system, especially melee combat.  It's not even close.  Once you hit your high 20s to mid 30s in Tera, the melee combat absolutely puts any other MMOs combat to shame.
  • xausxaus Member Posts: 34
    Looks boring.
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Anyone else think that by being able to do this by yourself actually makes TERA combat the inferior option?

After all, TERA and GW2 are meant to be MMOs, right?

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Combat really did feel epic at times in TERA.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by darwa

Anyone else think that by being able to do this by yourself actually makes TERA combat the inferior option?

So what you are saying is that just because it is an MMO then really skilled player should not be able to do amazing things? Bear in mind that no average player can do what this guy is doing, it requires alot of skills to time your attacks and evades to be able to do what he is doing.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

That's a really really easy bam to solo (the vid makes it look boring). If you're trying to convince people of why combat is more exciting, you should link some KN HM stuff or MC stuff.

Also, "better" is a subjective term based purely on opinion in this case. Some people enjoy the tab targeting, some don't. I haven't played gw2 since very very early closed beta, but I fail to see the benefit of telling people "MY TASTE> YOURS".

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Yamota

So what you are saying is that just because it is an MMO then really skilled player should not be able to do amazing things? Bear in mind that no average player can do what this guy is doing, it requires alot of skills to time your attacks and evades to be able to do what he is doing.

I would agree with you.. if by skills you mean not sucking. The combat is super slow.. that dragon is like a walking tank... it doesn't take much to out maneuver it... if you can't solo that with a good char.. you suck as a player.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

And people say GW2 needs the trinity. Whats the point of a healer in Tera? lol

I also like how the dragon is incredibley slow and basically just attacks in the opposite direction of the player. Not quite so epic.

Dragon: I'm gonna bite you!

Player: I'm moving

Dragon: I dont care i'm still gonna try and bite you in that exact same spot you were in very sloowly- hey! how did you manage to elude my viscious slow bite of death?

Player: I got skill

Originally posted by Fendel84M

I also like how the dragon is incredibley slow and basically just attacks in the opposite direction of the player. Not quite so epic.

Dragon: I dont care i'm still gonna try and bite you in that exact same spot you were in very sloowly- hey! how did you manage to elude my viscious slow bite of death?

+1

My point exactly. ;)

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

I agree, best mmo combat system. Just feels right and is fluid and interesting. The biggest point however is: You can get better at combat! 

GW2 combat feel clinky and restricted, there is no room to grow and get better at combat. You are limited by the skills and the design of the game.

The action based combat in TERA gives you so the room to improve.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Originally posted by Neo_Liberty

+1

My point exactly. ;)

I was gonna edit to add this but i'll put it here.

In GW2 I held off the Champion Wasp Queen on my Mesmer for a good 5-10minutes solo until more people showed up :-p. Now THAT was epic, I was really on the ball poppin out clones left and right that damn wasp didn't know who i was haha. Wasn't until she changed into the drones that I got into some trouble.

That was fun, especially since you aren't expected to do it in GW2, where Tera its expected you can solo Bams if you dodge enough.

I did play Tera and the combat was fun, it had its perks, but ultimately the rest of the game didn't stack up and I LOVE not having a trinity anymore.

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    I disagree. Vanilla AOC holds the crown for best combat in an mmo. The combos had to be timed perfectly and it had active shielding.
    Originally posted by taus01

I agree, best mmo combat system. Just feels right and is fluid and interesting. The biggest point however is: You can get better at combat! 

GW2 combat feel clinky and restricted, there is no room to grow and get better at combat. You are limited by the skills and the design of the game.

I disagree, I am constantly finding new ways on my Mesmer to effectively mitigate damage and deal it out quicker with the exact same set of skills. I don't know how you play, but GW2 is a constantly moving combat if you are standing still and just popping your skilsl you are gonna get destroyed just like Tera.

Heck, just yesterday I finally discovered that I can use my clones to take ranged dmg for me by just standing behind them...lol go figure.

Have you ever played an Elementalist? You seriously have to be able to swap between 4 different attunements consisting of 5 abilities each in order to survive really well and be effective. It takes a lot of skill.

Tera requires skill too, but to be honest a lot of it is just dodging at the right time. All these bam videos largely consist of dodge+basic attack.

If you don't think GW2 is action based combat you clearly haven't played it at all.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

I read: This is why apples taste better then bananas!

different people with different likes, you like tera combat, i like tera combat and a couple of others like  the gw2 combat is better NO DISSUSION POSSIBLE! for us Tera has the best combat and for them gw2 has.

Originally posted by taus01

I disagree, I am constantly finding new ways on my Mesmer to effectively mitigate damage and deal it out quicker with the exact same set of skills. I don't know how you play, but GW2 is a constantly moving combat if you are standing still and just popping your skilsl you are gonna get destroyed just like Tera.

Heck, just yesterday I finally discovered that I can use my clones to take ranged dmg for me by just standing behind them...lol go figure. This.....

Have you ever played an Elementalist? You seriously have to be able to swap between 4 different attunements consisting of 5 abilities each in order to survive really well and be effective. It takes a lot of skill.

Tera requires skill too, but to be honest a lot of it is just dodging at the right time. All these bam videos largely consist of dodge+basic attack.

If you don't think GW2 is action based combat you clearly haven't played it at all. and this....

I play a thief... and just like in other mmo's they are super squishy.. in fact.. in this game they are more squishy then in others because you are expected to move.. and since thief is the ultimate moving class.. u are expected to dodge damage.... there are so many ways to dodge dmg with thief.. stealth/rolls... slash regular movement... and depending on ur combinations of the three or reliance on just one.. it can really decide how well you can take champion mobs... though its a given.. its tough as a thief against a ranged champ... other than that though.. its completely skill based.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Nope. I'm saying thatr NOBODY should be able to solo group content. Ever. If they can, then it's time to look at the combat mechanics.

Fair play to the 'skill' of the player, but I don't think it should be possible.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

You know, back when I tried TERA, people kept telling me how awesome soloing BAMs is. "They're so big and strong and require so much skillz!" Well, turns out they were wrong. As someone who has spent hundreds of hours in DMC / Ninja Gaiden / Dark Souls, I'm pretty good at slashers, so for me, TERA's BAMs are boring, slow enemies that take forever to kill. The most difficult part of those fights is not falling asleep after you've dodged the hundredth Blow of Slow-mo. I actually got sleepy in the middle of those fights. That has never happened to me before when playing a video game.

Here's hoping Blade & Soul is better.

Nope. I'm saying thatr NOBODY should be able to solo group content. Ever. If they can, then it's time to look at the combat mechanics.

Fair play to the 'skill' of the player, but I don't think it should be possible.  I agree

champion mobs in gw2 are almost impossible.. some are manageable but most you don't stand a chance against. I've played with a guardian on gw2 and get the floor mopped with me... most often the best i am able to do is just escape. sometimes depending on the mob type.. i can get by... but thats only if it is a melee type champ.  

Originally posted by Scalpless

You know, back when I tried TERA, people kept telling me how awesome soloing BAMs is. "They're so big and strong and require so much skillz!" Well, turns out they were wrong. As someone who has spent hundreds of hours in DMC / Ninja Gaiden / Dark Souls, I'm pretty good at slashers, so for me, TERA's BAMs are boring, slow enemies that take forever to kill. The most difficult part of those fights is not falling asleep after you've dodged the hundredth Blow of Slow-mo. I actually got sleepy in the middle of those fights. That has never happened to me before when playing a video game.

Here's hoping Blade & Soul is better.

+1

Watching the vid.. it seems like the fight is just for show... to make you "feel" powerful.... but whats so powerful about taking out a slow moving, slow attacking tank with grenades and high-powered rifles... especially when it take 10+ mins to do so.. it would be epic if a well placed attack hit a weak spot and took it out... the char in the vid rarely dodged.. just ran circles around it... how does running circles around a mob constitute "skill"?

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Anyone that says GW2 combat is better than Tera just hasn't played Tera, or its a person that just needs a tab target as its easier.   That said, Tera is a blast...but the pvp it just bad...no owpvp because everyone hides in safezones smply because there is no reason to go out in the ow...BG's are a joke....was fun, but for pvpers...look elsewhere.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by afhn2110
    Anyone that says GW2 combat is better than Tera just hasn't played Tera, or its a person that just needs a tab target as its easier.   That said, Tera is a blast...but the pvp it just bad...no owpvp because everyone hides in safezones smply because there is no reason to go out in the ow...BG's are a joke....was fun, but for pvpers...look elsewhere.

I have played both. Tera system is made for the game world it was designed for and GW2 for its.

The question is what would happend if you took the combat systems and swapped them.  I'm wondering how Tera's combat system would hold up with GW2s AI and the action lock mechanics it uses. Would it be as awesome as the OP has stated?  Would the mobs out-perform the system?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    i have no opinion about TERA, but as for GW2 combat it really sucks
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by afhn2110

I have played both. Tera system is made for the game world it was designed for and GW2 for its.

The question is what would happend if you took the combat systems and swapped them.  I'm wondering how Tera's combat system would hold up with GW2s AI and the action lock mechanics it uses. Would it be as awesome as the OP has stated?  Would the mobs out-perform the system?

True, but what I'm gong to say some will hate on...but its a fact...if you don't believe me...try it.  In tera...you have to at least have some skill as you have to aim...plan what attack you are going to use as you can't always use the same sequence being that mobs and players will do things to offsent your attacks.

In GW2...(task you to try if you don't  believe me) if you are a ranged class you can close your eyes, press the tab button and spam your nuke cycle, whatever it is you choose.  There's a point that you will get to know that no one can still be alive, esp. if you are a necro...keeping your eyes closed...press tab again...rinse repeat.  You don't believe me...try it...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us

Originally posted by Ryowulf
    [mod edit]

Not a good comparison comment tbh, for one GW2 was a much bigger title and way more people know about it.  Second, the question wasn't about the game, was about the combat. I think both games suck for what I like to see...but Tera combat trumps about any game in the market.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

I've duo'd champions, but never solo'd one. Then again, I play Elementalist which is the squishiest profession in the game. That said, the few duo's I've done with friends have been some of the most fun combat I've ever experienced.

Now, I cant say I have much experience with Tera. Maybe once you get to 20 or 30 the melee combat does become fun, but I never got that far. I was sick of being stuck in place every time I did a move, or having a full two seconds to dodge even bosses because they telegraph just so very much. Oh and the questing.. don't get me started on that lol. It just wasn't for me.