Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 vs. WAR: Which was more fun at lvl 1?

nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I was just thinking if I could ever enjoy rolling a new toon in GW2 and leveling him up purely through WvWvW. Then I remembered that you could do the same thing in WAR. Then I asked myself which I found more fun, GW2 lvl 1 PvP or WAR's lvl 1 PvP. 

Personally, I felt WAR's lvl 1 PvP was more fun. It took no time at all to get into a scenario, and they were a lot of fun. I also liked how everyone had a role, even the tanks. The RvR lakes were a lot of fun too when they were active. In comparison, it takes so long to get anywhere in the GW2 WvW map. Not to mention, I felt pretty useless against lvl 80's, much less 80's with the best gear. Then there's the whole aoe fests and as a low level melee player, I'd got roflstomped by the ranged the second I got within melee range.

So what about you all? Which game did you find more fun for rolling a brand new toon, entering the game for the first time with that character, and immediately queing up for PvP: WAR or GW2? (LVL 2 FOR GW2 OBVIOUSLY)

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I have to give the nod to GW2 since WAR's PvP had such incredible balance problems.  Not sure about the game now.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

Going to have to go with WAR.  I simply enjoyed the classes, roles, and bodyblocking, guard mode tanks there better.  Sure there was mucho balance problems, but no more than I'm seeing in GW2 at the moment.   I also really enjoyed WAR's scenario's far better than GW2 three, which are identical game modes.  WAR had some that were quite bad to though.  

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I guess overall I would have to say WAR. Theyre both similar in so many ways starting out (as far as capabilities, equipment, lack of skills, etc), but I agree WAR was a bit more fast paced and easy to jump right into PvP. But thats also partly because rather than 1 big area, it was split up into tiered zones which were smaller, had fewer objectives, and everyone was within your level range. Both game suse a bolster system, but in WAR being bolstered to 15 and fighting level 10-15 people (even the twinks) was quite different from being bolstered to 80 in GW2 and fighting 80s in good gear.

That really only applies to T1 in WAR though. GW2 wins by a longshot for everything after T1 in WAR.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    WAR, hands down. I really loved learning the different classes from lvl 1-10 in WAR. GW2, not so much.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Why not Rift  vs. War? To me they are more comparable both working off the trinity system.

To me War was fun but the Public events were nothing more than  little boxes of waves of mobs, and after defeating the last wave you were rewarded.

I voted GW2. Even in the human starting area it takes about 1 minute to get into an event after leaving the CC area. Done right, War you had to build up some levels before venturing to the first PE about 1/3 the way up the map.

I did love Wars free to play up to level 10 just for the pvp! My son and I did that on and off for quite some time.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Why not Rift  vs. War? To me they are more comparable both working off the trinity system.

To me War was fun but the Public events were nothing more than  little boxes of waves of mobs, and after defeating the last wave you were rewarded.

I voted GW2. Even in the human starting area it takes about 1 minute to get into an event after leaving the CC area. Done right, War you had to build up some levels before venturing to the first PE about 1/3 the way up the map.

I did love Wars free to play up to level 10 just for the pvp! My son and I did that on and off for quite some time.

Quick stab here.   But at least in WAR, unlike GW2, after the Public Events were completed you actually were rewarded... 

If anyone brings up anything about GW2's events being dynamic to, just shut the hell up.  Spamming 'ETA for dragon?" in map chat and getting someone to reply, "10 mins" is not dynamic.   Neither is it 'fun' beating on his toe, or where his toe should be, for 10 minutes to defeat him (Claw of Jormag exception, still disqualified for simply being annoying), until three hours later... 

Also, OP was about leveling up through PvP. 

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

WAR, definitely.

Although GW2's RvR (aka WvW) is a definite improvement on WAR's, especially at later levels, WAR really did have one thing that kept me subscribed and rolling alts for a very long time, and that it was really so easy and fun to go PvP-ing from lvl 1 AND to advance meaningfully.

This one thing made me totally ignore PvE in WAR (This is probably why I kept defending and playing the game for so long). If they (Mythic) had a bit more balls and brains they would have saved enormous money in development, made a PvP only mmo like what we have coming in PS2 and "won" the great mmo race.

GW2 devs should definitely learn from WAR's experience.

1) WvW rewards should be made higher AND not as dependent on a chance meeting with opposing team. Hot patch a steady trickle of xp whenever you're in combat, regardless of whether you win or loose. That would give low levels a feeling that they're not just wasting time in there. Also, experience should be shared within the PvP group - tagging is crap, especially in confused melee.

2) Keeps should provide benefits for guilds. Guilds should recieve a trickle of influence just for holding them and massive bonuses for defending against attacks. At the moment there is no real incentive for a guild to hold or even claim a keep except masochistic altruism. When implementing this, special care should be taken about the mechanics of guild claiming to prevent infighting. Maybe some kind of blind bid? Where you pay influence to control a keep, hoping it'll pay off? This would provide additional incentive for guilds to feel strongly about "their" keeps.

3) In addition to influence, keeps should provide additional benefits. For example, vendors where you can unload your stuff... with guild who holds the keep getting a percentage. Holding a keep should be about management - a guild should be investing its resources in a keep and be able to recuperate the cost and even profit if they manage it well.

4) Remove annoying loot bags in WvW. In all that chaos I really can't look down at my feet to see if a bag has materialized. Have all the loot be sent directly to the player.

5) Percentage world bonuses are lame. Who cares about +6% healing against mobs in PvE? Have that the top server has access to special PvE content. Add that holding certain keeps for a certain time unlocks DE's in PvE world or in WvW. SPECIFIC REWARDS for SPECIFIC ACTIONS - this is the one thing that is universally missing in GW2 at the moment.

6) A parallel PvP leveling system in WvW. I haven't the foggiest why sPvP has this and WvW doesnt. Renown grind was a pain but it did provide some sense of advancement and accomplishment. ANet can improve on this, like they did on many other features. If I spend 8 hours a day fighting for the glory of my server I really do deserve some acknowledgement for my efforts, if only cosmetic.

7) Earn experience in sPvP - an absolute must.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I would like to see them add XP to sPVP and not just WvW. I don't see any harm in letting people level up in smaller scale skirmishes. Also would like to see some of those maps supporting more players as an option, sometimes the maps seem too big for the number of players there.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Why rift vs war?

War is a pvp mmo, much like gw2

Rift is a wow clone raid grinder.

For the record, these games did this style of pvp best out of what I've played.

1 daoc
    2 planetside
    3 gw2
    4 war
    5 aion

Huge huge gap

99 wow.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I have to go with WAR as well. The PvP was simply more fun with defensive targets, taunts and proper roles. GW 2 feels more like a PvE game and in that area it is far superior to WAR.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    That war in its prime though, since bioware took over and changed to rules to rvr for dummies and dress as a rat, war would be behind aion.
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Kind of hard to say really given you are lvl 1 for all of two minutes.

Not sure why but going to say WAR anyway.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."