Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For everyone who hasn't yet, give Rift a try

Comments

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    How much are they willing to pay me for my time?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,202
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

EDIT: Also those saying the game is bland obviously never played past level 5, and if they did then they are wrong and just a fanboy of some other game.

/facepalm.  Not this worn-out cliche of a rebuttal AGAIN.  Since your little temper-tantrum of a broadside was aimed at everyone who doesn't fall to their knees gasping in awe at Rift, I'll bite.

I'm a fanboy of no game whatsoever.  I usually play a couple of MMOs, one of which (depending on a whim) might entail a monthly subscription, and I mainly alternate between these two.  I have several free MMOs I might play now and again, for a change of pace.  I used the free trial to about lvl 16 or maybe 18 and binned it.  If Rift was Buy-to-Play I might well keep it on my hard drive, but at this time I see no reason whatsoever to pay a sub for Rift.  Frankly, to me it isn't worth it.  It might be for you.  That's life.  Deal with it.

• KaiserAlexanderKaiserAlexander Member UncommonPosts: 10

you guys don't realize that, while regular questing in rift is terribly bland, the game is ALL about endgame.

you now have the option of leveling by instant adventure, which speeds up leveling enormously.

i too got hooked to rift not at the first, but at the second sight.

mmorpgers, instead of being a swarm of mmo-devouring locusts, need to learn that some mmorpgs improve a lot upon relase, and NO mmorpg improved as much in such a short time as rift.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by KaiserAlexander

you guys don't realize that, while regular questing in rift is terribly bland, the game is ALL about endgame.

you now have the option of leveling by instant adventure, which speeds up leveling enormously.

i too got hooked to rift not at the first, but at the second sight.

mmorpgers, instead of being a swarm of mmo-devouring locusts, need to learn that some mmorpgs improve a lot upon relase, and NO mmorpg improved as much in such a short time as rift.

The end game in Rift is grind, grind, grind. It is all about Uber armor - sorry I played Rift for a year and got off that cycle of, 'OH, the next dungeon is coming out - time to group and grind out the next Uber armor for that dungeon'. Sorry, it is boring as hell and not fun with players who take it like a job.

The regular play in Rift is grind, grind, grind also. It is not that fun of a game and the game world is really small.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I could appreciate the replies more if the op said, "for those of you who tried rift and didnt like it, tell us why". But it doesnt :)

• EudaimonEudaimon Member UncommonPosts: 116

Trion's update speed and quality control is fantastic, and has set a high bar in this area for other MMOs to match - other companies could learn from Trion's example here.

However, I found the combat rather dull as a whole.  Macros were a really bad idea IMO, or maybe that the combat system lends itself to that so much means that it was badly designed....dunno....

For me, the game was too gear-focussed and the lore some of the least engaging I've come across.

Some good ideas for sure (I really enjoyed chloro back in the day), but it didn't really work for me.  I also found it a little too high fantasy for my taste.

• DonythecowardiceDonythecowardice Member Posts: 2

My 1st post here too &lt:-P party

Hi those of you have or have not played Rift!

PvE bah... like WoW or any other MMORPG. They are all crap just from different anal. Nothing special!

Quest: collect 10 of this, 20 of that, kill 20 this creature, even though they seem no harm to you people, plus they respawn again after.

The Wolrd: kinda cool with a lot of world events and reward fall like raindrops.

Dungeon: queue up as group or solo, up to you. You can do the same dungeon in 5 mins or 50 mins... all up to you.

Raid: LFM all day ................................................................ WIPE ............................................................................................

To those of you out here love PvP, I gotta say Rift PvP is joyful.

There are Warfronts that gives us 5 PvP instances. Queue up anytime. There are always low geared peeps for you to kill, or you could be the low geared one. ENJOY!!!

There is Conquest - a massive 3 ways battles - Big Zerg v.s. Small Zerg v.s. A few people. To win CQ: you better do some pve works: you have to destroy the enemies's pylons, then recontruct your own pylons repeatedly. Pretty fun!!!

One thing that which I really luv Rift PvP: you don't need to be goooooood at it, all you need is time to grind. Keep on playing Warfront, Conquest, level up your pvp rank, earn your reward and buy all gears and weapons... haha very easy...

Hope you give Rift a try! Pleasant to meet you all!

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491
    Originally posted by Adamantine

Took me 5 minutes with their website to remove Rift from my list:

- Only 6 races. => Gah.

- Darkelves exist (Yay !) but have no dark skin. => GAH !

- Enforced Racial wars. => SUPER GAH !

- Only 4 Classes with the riddiculous forced multiple time subclassing like I know and hate it from DA:O. => Thanks, but no thanks.

Just to be clear, I dont oppose subclassing and multiclassing at all. What I consider riddiculous is getting forced into subclassing and/or multiclassing, just to gain numerically a high "variance". That variance is a fake.

Any such system will have multiple subclasses that have synergy. These combination will be what will be played in the end.

That means if you have 12 subclasses and force the player to choose 3 of them, best case scenario is that you get 4 actual classes out of it. Because rarely will players choose subclass combinations of low synergy - and if they do, they will get most likely frustrated. They will for sure not gain entrance into the more powerful guilds.

MMOs are highly competitive environments. Being underpowered is not an enjoyable fate.

I have seen some ones that are really dark, unless you are looking for black.

You can cross faction group and mail now, so I don't see how that is Forced.

You can max a single tree and have to minor ones and still be very powerful (I use a mostly Necro/Chloro mix not too sinergized but I like being a master of Death and Life).

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Top notch stuff from Trion.
  • NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

I played Rift a bit, and got two chars to max level. I played from headstart and maybe for a total of 2 months. - I liked the game, I even liked the dungeon difficulty those first weeks. What I disliked alot, and what still keeps me from playing the game was the macro'ing. I dont know if its still permitted, but I was as a rogue, able to macro all my relevant builders into one keystroke. - And maybe put in 3 different keys for 3 different scenarios I was likely to face regularly. - But most of the time it was just macro > finisher, rinse repeat. I guess some people just love macros, and TRIONs team seemed to support that they play instead of the players themselves.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I could appreciate the replies more if the op said, "for those of you who tried rift and didnt like it, tell us why". But it doesnt :)

To be fair, people constantly do it in other game's boards. In any event, It goes around so, it's just par for the course. State your opinion on a game, and you get responses from all angles. Doesn't bother me. As long as the opinion is based on accurate info It's fine. Saying Rift offers a linear leveling experience with no options therefore it sucks is an example of what I mean. I've seen that criticism and that, I'll correct, but not the person's opinion. I mean, hey, if Rift sucks, then it sucks. I don't agree, but tha'ts life.

I just get a huge kick out of some of the people going off on Rift, then get their panties all in a bunch when "prescious" is criticized. Telling the critics to "move along" or some such sentiment.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Nilenya

I played Rift a bit, and got two chars to max level. I played from headstart and maybe for a total of 2 months. - I liked the game, I even liked the dungeon difficulty those first weeks. What I disliked alot, and what still keeps me from playing the game was the macro'ing. I dont know if its still permitted, but I was as a rogue, able to macro all my relevant builders into one keystroke. - And maybe put in 3 different keys for 3 different scenarios I was likely to face regularly. - But most of the time it was just macro > finisher, rinse repeat. I guess some people just love macros, and TRIONs team seemed to support that they play instead of the players themselves.

I never understood this argument. Yes, you can incorporate a lot of abilities into the failover macro system. But it's a crutch to do it and a sure sign of a mediocre player at best. If  you are in combat and you start spamming those keys wthout  paying attention, and sometimes, even when you do, you will most likely end up pulling mobs into the group unintentionally. In PVP, you will probably break CCs more often than you should. Sure if all you want to do is shoot at a target dummy all day long, you can optimize your DPS. But other than that, having huge macros does cause other issues. People who are really good at what they do use macros, but keep them minimal and use many different ones. I have many abilities kept off the macros.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Foomerang I could appreciate the replies more if the op said, "for those of you who tried rift and didnt like it, tell us why". But it doesnt :)
    To be fair, people constantly do it in other game's boards. In any event, It goes around so, it's just par for the course. State your opinion on a game, and you get responses from all angles. Doesn't bother me. As long as the opinion is based on accurate info It's fine. Saying Rift offers a linear leveling experience with no options therefore it sucks is an example of what I mean. I've seen that criticism and that, I'll correct, but not the person's opinion. I mean, hey, if Rift sucks, then it sucks. I don't agree, but tha'ts life.

I just get a huge kick out of some of the people going off on Rift, then get their panties all in a bunch when "prescious" is criticized. Telling the critics to "move along" or some such sentiment.

Most of the time, i dont mind and find the hate amusing. But in the case of this thread im just seeing people with sour grape syndrome. I mean if you have never tried rift and its free to play up til level 20, then why not go for it? But people still hammer away, dont even want people to try something new for free haha. Its silly.

• Lady_VixenLady_Vixen Member Posts: 9

Rift is a good game for those that choose to raid, but PVP is sorely neglected, and Trion, in my opinion, is adopting new marketing techniques that I view as inappropriate for a reputable subscription based game. 

First they added the shopping cart icon to the UI for a direct link to their quasi cash shop, and tonight we're treated with pop up messages (message in the middle of your screen during gameplay) encouraging subscribers to pre order the upcoming expansion.   IMO, this trend is absolutely unacceptable, and just solidifies my recent decision to cancel my subscription and find another MMO.   I may return when Rift goes F2P, which, based on dev desperation,  I'm sure isn't too far off. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    I like what they are doing, or at least how they are doing it.  But the art/animations don't move me and if I want a themepark with a sub I'd just go back to WOW honestly.  The only think to get me to play Rift is a F2P model where I can at least level to the cap for free.
  • ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

This is a theme park MMO. There are a couple others that do it way better.

Looking for something with fresh and new ideas.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I've just resubbed to Rift. After seeing some demo videos of Dimensions on youtube, which looks like the best housing in any thempark.. ever) and the massive scope of the upcoming expansion I just couldn't resist. Expansions that increase the landmass by more than was given in the original game and offer as many new features as Storm Legion are very rare. Trion ain't messing about.

Get a year subscription and get Storm Legion for free (plus a couple other bonuses). There is no doubt that it's a great deal and I'm very tempted to get it. If I like what I see in the upcoming SL beta weekend then I'll be buying it straight away.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Jebasiz1Jebasiz1 Member Posts: 6

Just because the key strokes are the same, doesn't make it a clone. Those have become 'industry standards', imo.   Zone/rift events, instant adventures, chronicles, dungeons, raids..seem like standard faire for MMOs(for the most part), the implementation in Rift, I feel is superior to games that have come before it.  Content isn't dumbed down so every group of 12 year olds can roll through it by standing in the right spot and hitting a macro they pulled off the internet.

Questing in rift, the "story" line quests are fairly to even quite interesting if you bother to read them.  The lore, is unique and building, for a game just about to launch it's first expansion, it's ahead of 'the curve" set by 'the game' that several people think it's a clone of.

The comical part of a lot of the replies here;  your(several people that replied) basis for comparison..and game you seem to love to defend, "WoW",  hasn't really introduced all that much itself.  Hotbuttons, abilities bars, dungeons, raids, instances, macros ..were all done a long time before WoW launched...all blizzard did was dumb it down, so 'everyone' could be successful at every aspect of gaming. Throw loot at people and collect the subscription fees.

I guess, all I can say to people who would dismiss rift after level 20 because 'leveling is chore'..is, it was fun when there were a lot of level 20s to go with..NO GAME, maintains a population of players sub level cap after 2 years.  If you come late to the party, you put in the time to catch up..that's with ANY GAME.  RIFT/Trion has made it faster and easier, with Instant Adventures, mentoring, and the removal of things like questing for additional souls and whatnot(you can just train them now).  

As for why I view rift differently from other games..it's the class/calling system.  Every calling is extremely versatile.  Leveling one character to level 50, lets me heal one dungeon, dps at range the next..and melee on another.  On raids, I can assume roles of crowd control/hybrid dps, I can be pure support and buff everyone, while sacrificing my own performance, heal, or dps again at range or melee, and I can change roles whenever I'm not in combat and be ready-to-go in seconds.  Not only can I fill all those roles in a raid, most of the time, I have several viable builds/specs to do each one..and that will be even more variable in 4 weeks when the expansion launches.

I play rift because I have 16 ways to skin a cat...enjoy both of yours in your hamster wheel.

• DiscopumperDiscopumper Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Why? I already played it and found it to be the most boring, easy, small, cookie cutter, bland, uninteresting, dull, uninspired, shallow, generic, craptastic MMO I've ever playedand and was even given a free copy by Raptr a few months ago so I thought I'd give it another go to see if it had changed and still felt the same, only this time there were only 3 men and their dog playing on a "medium" pop server. So someone coming to MMORPG.com and basically begging for us to play this humungously shitty MMO must mean its full of people playing right?

+1

For me Rift was the worst MMO experience in years.

The game is just boring from the ground and i played it from headstart on a few months and i even got a lvl 50 char. The lvling experience was boring and endgame is just an even more boring grind treadmill with things a lot of mmos have done better in the past.

And can somebody please go to Trion and tell them that PvP isn't Gear vs.Gear. Thanks.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

I actually really enjoyed Rift.. The gameplay, fun abilities and nice animations made it quite nice for me/

every game has its lovers and its haters i guess. I dont play it anymore, but i really regret that. If it was a oncebuy for 150 dollar i would, but sadly enough i have an tendency to hate subscription;.. badly

The only think to get me to play Rift is a F2P model where I can at least level to the cap for free. <-- this

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

EDIT: Also those saying the game is bland obviously never played past level 5, and if they did then they are wrong and just a fanboy of some other game.

Do the following things:

Describe the non-physical characteristics of Rift's races...their personalities, their motivations, etc

List your 5 favorite NPCs and say what it is about them that you like

Do the same for your five favorite quest lines

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920
    I just wish the combat didn't feel so clunky.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I cant go back to a supermacro fest like Rift or WoW again, there is just no challenge whatsoever.

Step 1: Gear grind

Step 2: Supermacro

Step 3: Profit!

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Saying Rift offers a linear leveling experience with no options 

How many choices of zones do you have after the first one?

After the second?

After Scarlet Gorge?

Outside of outleveling a zone and being able to skip one possibly, you dont have a choice in where to go to level until you get to 35+.  That is the defintion of a linear leveling experience.  yes, you could do the PvP thing or the dungeon thing like other MMOs, or you could do Rifts/IAs...but Rifts and IAs dont solve the fact that you are in the same zone and for most people get boring/tedious after a short time doing them.

And the question is, with mentoring allowing people to drop down in level and get current rewards, why didnt Trion devote 1/3 of the new content to that 6-35 level range that needs it?

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I really want to like Rift for all the effort their devs put into the IP. But my main problem other than alot of the anti-social behavior in the community, is how dependant that same community is on using macros.

Combat macros in Rift is just another way of allowing legalized botting. It is pure lazy gaming and I for one don't like being told I can't group with gamers in Rift if I don't use macros.