Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game sounds like the possible savior to MMOs!

Comments

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by Schoeneck93

Three factions is back... ? Dude, it's always been around. 

Guild Wars 2, Planetside, practically all of the new games. It hasn't gone anywhere.

On another note, this Elder Scrolls game, looks like a pile of dog shit. Honestly. 

Its NOTHING like their previous games. Which doesn't make any sense, they have a formula that works, and they are going to completely change it. 

They are killing their game dynasty. 

Warcraft. World of. It's NOTHING like their previous games. End of argument.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by ZigZags

Guild Wars 2, Planetside, practically all of the new games. It hasn't gone anywhere.

On another note, this Elder Scrolls game, looks like a pile of dog shit. Honestly. 

Its NOTHING like their previous games. Which doesn't make any sense, they have a formula that works, and they are going to completely change it. 

What ^^^he said

Except GW2 doesn't have 3 factions.. It has one.

That, and Planetside was out around the same time as DAoC. PS2 isn't out yet. I wonder what other games he can cite to prove his point.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by ZigZags

What ^^^he said

Except GW2 doesn't have 3 factions.. It has one.

In WvWVW Its a 3 way fight between servers. A faction can be any group of people within the whole. It doesnt have to be designated by race, or good vs evil, or some other nonsense.

Originally posted by rygard49

Warcraft was an RTS, not an RPG. They had to change the entire game to be an RPG. Of course theyre not going to be alike. TES is already an RPG.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Warcraft was an RTS, not an RPG. They had to change the entire game to be an RPG. Of course theyre not going to be alike. TES is already an RPG.

While we are at it; players have been wanting a new Ultima MMO for a while.

Why don't we take away all the sandbox elements, take away all the skills, make it an action bar tab targeting game. Create a giant three faction battle ground. The entire game will be about faction pvp.

But because we are calling the land Britania, we will claim it is Ultima online 2

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

While we are at it; payers have been wanting a new Ultima MMO for a while.

Why don't we take away all the sandbox elements, take away all the skills, make it an action bar tab targeting game. Create a giant three faction battle ground. The entire game will be about faction pvp.

But because we are calling the land Britania, we will claim it is Ultima online 2

Better yet, let's make a CoD MMO with third person, tab-targetting combat.  I'm sure the fans will love it, Captain Price will be there!

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Some say savior, i say destruction of another long lasting franchise. 
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by gambe1
    Some say savior, i say destruction of another long lasting franchise. 

QFT

• NavyJackalNavyJackal Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by MercArcher
    Originally posted by Kyleran

The folks attempting to create Citadel of Sorcery are truly working on an innovative title that would revolutionize the MMORPG space, this really is iteration number 18 of the standard theme park MMO with some DAOC style RVR grafted on to the end game.  See WAR.

I doubt with that concept CoS could even break 1million subs. Sure it will be great for people who want a sandbox MMO, but there aren't that many of them. It would lack a centralized end game which is what most people are looking for. Not minecraft as an MMO.

And how would you know how many people would be interested in a sandbox game?  How would you know what people are looking for?   Making such obtuse comments like that take any validity out of your arguements.   There's millions of MMO players out there, you claiming to know what they want is or what kind of player they are is foolish.   Also, quit hyping  a game that isn't even in Beta yet.  All you are doing is getting people's expectations up and setting them up for the eventual disappointment when the game doesn't reach the lofty heights that you led them to believe it would.  

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Beware the hype but also avoid being a cynical douche.  It's a real fine line that many here have difficulty walking.
  • ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Im not onboard yet. In fact at this point I think it is far more likely to damage the TES line than it is to bring anything new to MMOs.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Finally someone is starting from scratch, making their own MMO game engine.
    Yeah, righto...

Being able to fully controll everything about their own engine will be refreshing over the limitations of recent MMOs.
    You dont think other companies produce their own engines or have bought rights to code of licenced engines?

Three faction PvP is back! DAoC is the undesputed open world PvP game and it hasn't been sucessfully copied yet. With the lead developer of DAoC being the lead developer here I think we have a chance!
    Undisputed? i think not. I however like 3 factions.

The stamina system is quite possibly the most interesting PvP mechanic i've seen in a LONG time. I'm really looking forward to it it adds a large amount of depth.
    I havnt researched this enough to comment on.

Fully voiced, dynamic content. SWTOR started the fully voiced, and add in GW2 dynamic system and you have a great questing system.
    "fully voiced" has to be examined here, Swtor actually was "fully voiced" i don't think TESO will be fully voiced in the manner people are thinking its going to be.

Ultimate Skills are another wonderful ideas. 0 mana, 0 CD skills that become castable from how you do in combat? I love it!
    I actually like stats. gives you something manage so it's more rpg.

Back to the trinity. After GW2 we learned that the trinity exsists for a reason. They are trying to keep a similar action feel while going back to the method that works.
    I like the trinity. Thats not to say there are systems that could work just as good. dont box yourself by think that "this is a tried and true" method.

"BRD style Instances" Gone are the days of linear instances. Go where you want mazes with multiple paths!
    Good if they could pull it off.

Not a wow-clone. They aren't doing the mistake of so many MMOs recently of copying WoW. Granted WoW was a great game, but if people wanted to play wow they would play wow.
    Define wow clone, then we will talk more.

From the information released so far this sounds like it has the possibility to be one amazing game. I'm really looking forward to following the development and trying the betas.
    Except that name has no coexistance with what you describe. It could be called "awesome mmo 2343" and it would sound good.

Problem is its called "The Elderscrlls online". does it incorporate what the franchise has made staple? does it have the vibe that would be expected from such a title? I don't think so.

Mainly for the facts of its tab target and loses it's freedom of character development that was so wonderful in the single player games.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    While I dont agree with your premise the game will be a savior I do agree it will be loads of fun and if implemented as they say in the press releases and previews it should be a load of fun.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• NavyJackalNavyJackal Member Posts: 82
    The only thing they have said will be instanced is dungeons. I fail to see how dungeons are a negative. In fact the statement they are trying to design them like "WoW's BRD" took me from could care less about this game to my #1 most anticipated game.

Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim are all single player theme park games. Why would you expect the MMO to be any different?

Race-locked factions fit in the already pre-established lore from the 2nd era.

They are looking at adding first person combat, if you really want to just zoom in. You can play virtually any MMO currently out in first person. If you want to use left/right click as your attacks, rebind them. Limiting people to 2 attacks at a time would make for an extremely boring MMO. Using FPS style aiming in an MMO is HUGELY affected by latency, and would make the game unplayable by a large amount of people.

Housing isn't a useful feature. It takes a large amount of development time for virtually no gain. Even the people who are fully engrosed in the housing aspect spend very little time in the actual housing part of the game. HOUSING IS NOT A USEFUL OR NEEDED FEATURE IN MMOS. If you want to build a house, I suggest you go play the sims.

The combat system they have touted sounds absolutly amazing and I can't wait to use it. Being able to charge spells longer for a better version of the spell. Everyone having access to Sprint, Block, Power attacks, and Intrupting via stamina making it a third resource that you have to manage. It sounds like an extremely in depth system with a huge skill cap that I can't wait to use.

RvRvR was the epitome of PvP in MMOs and hasn't really be recreated since DAoC. GW2 tried it, but there is little to no insentive to doing WvWvW because things just reset. They have already basically admited to a ranking system wiht the top person being the "emporer of tamriel". I again can't wait. It sounds to me like they know their audience and are developing the game for them.

If you wan't skyrim with multiplayer I suggest you look at the Skyrim Online mod.

Ok, now I know you are trolling.  Seriously.  I might be mistaken but I am pretty sure that all TES games so far have been sandbox type games, not themeparks.   What's made TES games so successful and popular is the exploration and storyline, not the combat.   It's never been about the combat, yet that seems to be all you are focused on.  

Secondly, once again, you are making worthless general statements.  How do you know the game will be 'unplayable' for alot of people?   You some kind of tech guru?

Lastly, who are you to say that housing isn't useful or needed?  I for one loved having player housing in Final Fantasy XI and LotRO.   I spent hours upon hours getting trophies, furniture and other goodies for my home in those games, showing them to my friends and my guildmates and seeing what they had done with their own homes.   I felt WoW, SWTOR, and Rift all suffered from the lack of player housing.    Player housing adds soooo much to a game it's importance shouldn't simply be brushed aside because you have a hard on for the combat alone.  On top of it, this is an Elder Scroll game!  How many houses can you buy in each game?  Can you decorate those houses?  I think it goes without saying that you can.  Saying that ESO doesn't need housing is like saying a bathtub doesn't need a plug.  It's an ignorant statement to say the least.  

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by sandboxy
    I don't know if you (OP) are genuinely as clueless as you seem to be or are you just trolling..

Its pretty clear that all the doomsayers and "wowclone" people are the ones trolling.

Not to mention all the lore. TES has some of the most established lore in all of gaming.

The people over at Bioware thought they had the most established lore in all of the known Universe, they found out that lore is pretty far down on the list of what's important when developing a successful MMORPG.

It's all about the gameplay in the end, the lore could be totally unknown.

But you had Rift come out with no known lore, a good game, with good elements and tried and true methods and that didn't help either because it never caught on and has a mediocre player base.  I am not saying Lore is the make or break factor in determining if an MMO will be successful but it sure as helps alot.

Maybe I dont know much of anything but with my own 2 eyes I can see that 1.) Wow Clones do not work and 2.) Innovation and good gameplay is usually the deciding factor in determining if a game will become popular.  TESO could very well be a surprise hit and from the known elements Zenimax is implementing In the game It wouldnt surpurise me one bit if it becoems a sleaper hit.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Entinerint

You want TES in a multiplayer game? Go play two worlds and two worlds 2.

Theres a reason people aren't doing that style of combat in a multiplayer game. It doesn't work very well.

I guess you've never played two worlds or two worlds 2.  They are not like TES.  They don't even have first person.

They are also not MMORPGs with thousands of concurrent players in the same world as you.

Also TW and TW2 does not take place in Tamriel so I could care less.

As for that combat style "working well," it only works well if the team creating it care enough to make it work well.  There are a ton of ways to improve upon and polish the already-working real-time combat seen in MMORPGs like Darkfall and Mortal Online.  If those tiny, unfunded teams, fueled only by passion can do it, then how is it "impossible" for a 250 person team with a 300 million dollar budget?

If you want to know what I want?  Here it is:

An open-world MMORPG that takes place in the entire continent of Tamriel, and plays as close to Skyrim as possible, with a few, barely-noticeable changes to cater to thousands of players being the the same world at once.

What I'm getting:

An instanced, phased and closed-off thempark MMORPG that takes place in one third of Tamriel depending on your race-locked faction, with an archaic and out-dated combat and interaction system, no housing options, no viable first-person combat, and very little resembling what makes TES special in lieu of tired, 10-year-old design paradigms like RvR and tab-targetting.

The only thing they have said will be instanced is dungeons. I fail to see how dungeons are a negative. In fact the statement they are trying to design them like "WoW's BRD" took me from could care less about this game to my #1 most anticipated game.

Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim are all single player theme park games. Why would you expect the MMO to be any different?

Race-locked factions fit in the already pre-established lore from the 2nd era.

They are looking at adding first person combat, if you really want to just zoom in. You can play virtually any MMO currently out in first person. If you want to use left/right click as your attacks, rebind them. Limiting people to 2 attacks at a time would make for an extremely boring MMO. Using FPS style aiming in an MMO is HUGELY affected by latency, and would make the game unplayable by a large amount of people.

Housing isn't a useful feature. It takes a large amount of development time for virtually no gain. Even the people who are fully engrosed in the housing aspect spend very little time in the actual housing part of the game. HOUSING IS NOT A USEFUL OR NEEDED FEATURE IN MMOS. If you want to build a house, I suggest you go play the sims.

The combat system they have touted sounds absolutly amazing and I can't wait to use it. Being able to charge spells longer for a better version of the spell. Everyone having access to Sprint, Block, Power attacks, and Intrupting via stamina making it a third resource that you have to manage. It sounds like an extremely in depth system with a huge skill cap that I can't wait to use.

RvRvR was the epitome of PvP in MMOs and hasn't really be recreated since DAoC. GW2 tried it, but there is little to no insentive to doing WvWvW because things just reset. They have already basically admited to a ranking system wiht the top person being the "emporer of tamriel". I again can't wait. It sounds to me like they know their audience and are developing the game for them.

If you wan't skyrim with multiplayer I suggest you look at the Skyrim Online mod.

Firstly TES games are absolutely sandbox games, in fact they are prolly the most recognizable sandbox style game in the fantasy genre.  I do agree with you on the combat, FPS style left/right mouse click style combat is the worst reason to play and it wouldnt be that great in the MMO scene.

As for housing, I disagree 100%.  Not having it is the only thing I have been adamantly opposed to from the staff and I think alot of gamers agree housing brings alot to the table and is a huge selling point.  Then again Zenimax did say they would like to do housing at some point in the future but they dont have time at release but I wont hold my breath since WoW said the same thing.

• EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92

No such thing, no matter how good it is. Even if every person on teh face of earth wants to play it. it still not a savior and mmo dont need a savior either.

If anything it can be bad in ways if it to popular. Once something get very popular then everything else in that same genre copies it. Until years and years later when someone finall do something new.

Second, I hate the trinity and I am glad gw2 got ride of it. My guild have incredable coordination, and team work. More so then I have every had witha  trinity.

Of course it true a lot of peple only know how to zerg if they dont have a structure system. However for those who still know how to make are own structure system and strategy. We completely smash those who just zerg.

Even if it my team 6 and their zerg 20.

Same in dgns, my team never dies, and barely anyone get down.

Because we completely in sync, working together to protect each other and keep mobs at bay.

Well I will try Teso out, but never had had so much fun in a MMO before as I do in Gw2.

However who knows Teso might be my new MMO when it comes out are it might fail and I just keep playing gw2.

We will see.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

You people never realy read a full FAQ do you?

(PVP) option = when you join alliances.

It's a great game and I am on for it, I love FPS combat and less as possible lock-on skills, that makes the game more realistic and challenging.

Are you afraid of the challenge?

That is how every game should be created.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    The toolsets they are providing to the players is amazing....simply put. It will be a first to this magnitude that we will have the chance to make our own worlds....should be interesting.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Fagmod.

"PvP participation is purely voluntary either by entering a battleground or Cyrodiil." -TESO FAQ

Did you miss " Can I play alone? " part? entire TESO, not just Cyrodill.

Originally posted by Fagmod.
    So you mean if I decide not to participate in faction PvP at all, I'm free to roam entire Tamriel? If that's true, then yes, I have missed that part.

Link? FAQ

Dose TESO encludes Cyrodill and Tamriel? then yes you can explore a whole world without engaging pvp, you'll miss faction exp however.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

not possible, ain't gonna happen; there are too many MMOs out there and there is nothing to save here; I thought that after the SWTOR joke, these type of threads would be casted into the void; and here we are, bumping them lol

• Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84

This game sounds to me like the biggest crash and burn in the industry since STWOR. They are making a theme-park MMO out of a sandbox sp rpg.

I hope I'm wrong.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Wow... the title made me just laugh a lot.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to rain on your parade but they haven't showed anything attempting to do anything 'revolutionary' or anything of that sort. That and your basically claiming MMos need to be saved and, in a way they do, but truthfully you might as well go 'this is going to be a wow killer' just like all those other peoples out there who claimed the same for games such as SWTOR and GW2 (to name 2 recent games, applies way back though) when its just a statement that can never hold any ground because a game can't 'save' MMOs just as much as it can't 'kill' mmos.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Nice spin OP, but after they riped everything Elderscrolls out of ESO and wrapped what remained in a WoW MMORPG

game mechanic. it certainly seems like a WoW clone with elderscrolls lore

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yes
    Open world dungeons
    Rvr endgame
    Political system
    Tes crafting / soul harvesting
    No quest hubs
    Mix of gw2 and tes combat
    No agro mechanics

Sounds exactly like wow doesn't it 8?