Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 an honest opinion?

13»

Comments

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by halflife25

There is no such thing as honest opinion on these forums OP. Only biased ones. 

However, i can give you a suggestion if you want to buy the game but i don't think you mentioned that anywhere in your OP.

But yeah expecting an honest opinion over here? good luck with that.

A honest opinion can be biased; I don't see the contradiction. It is only dishonest if you are not giving your actual opinion but a different opinion that you do not agree with; like telling someone "nice haircut" when you really don't think it is nice.

Ok so honestly biased... i like that. 

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

Could be better.

But more importantly, not a WoW clone! Which makes it better than 99% of other games out there.

Right now, its the game to play, but that is until another company makes a better one. Compared to the rest of the MMO market its a 10/10 and has lived up to most expectations. Compared to where we should be in 2012 its still a 5/10 :(

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Like many games, this is either a love it or leave it game. The poeple who love it with be adamant how GW2 is the next best thing to sliced bread. The 'leave it' people think it is the worst game ever designed.

I think, if you had 60 dollars, GW2 is a decent game and would be worth the price.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

However, i can give you a suggestion if you want to buy the game but i don't think you mentioned that anywhere in your OP.

A honest opinion can be biased; I don't see the contradiction. It is only dishonest if you are not giving your actual opinion but a different opinion that you do not agree with; like telling someone "nice haircut" when you really don't think it is nice.

Ok so honestly biased... i like that. 

Well he got a point though.

Like a person that is in love with an ugly partner but he/she sees them as the most beautiful person in the world. He/she is biased (he believes his false version of reality as true) but honest (he truly believes what he sees as the actual reality) at the same time.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Wrong.

My opinion as stated here whenever I post is my honest opinion.

Originally posted by Caliburn101

Wrong.

Yeah sure bud!! when i want to find bright beacons of honesty i come to these forums.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Wrong.

For some people, being "honest" is lying to match their opinion... if your opinion doesn't match theirs, it can't be honest.

;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by Escada

Im quite interested in ranked PvP.. I still have fun in TSW PvP but it needs a lot more work. 

What are peoples thoughts on the PvP side of the game?

sPvP I haven't been involved in, so cannot comment, but...if it's anything like WvWvW right now, it's completely broken.

Armies are running around the world completely invisible, fighting invisible. If you're not in a guild or on a team using the method, you're getting steamrolled.

Hopefully they fix it, since it has definitely taken the sails out of any pvp I do and anyone else I know.

Great game otherwise, I fear about the low pop servers, for they are plagued by bots...having visted Kaineng myself recently.  Never in any game have I seen so many bots and I been playing mmos since '98.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Some say it won't make it, but I think they are fooling themselves. I have seen posts from folks claiming that people are quitting left and right.

Here is a video I recorded this evening in the human starter area. Mind you this is just a small part of a huge world, and the number of players has to be huge...even on a Tuesday evening.

The game is awesome and no matter what, you can not beat the entertainment value.

One hour of an episode of "Game of Thrones" that I haven't seen before, has far more entertainment value than one hour in any MMORPG, in my opinion. I find it to be a comparison of interest since MMORPGs are in my case  directly competing with all other forms of entertainment.

Then why even visit a forum dedicated to MMO's?

/mind_boggled

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

Hey guys..I've held off a little in looking in to GW2 for several reasons but I am wondering what peoples views are on how it is now that the novelty (perhaps) has worn off?  I've been playing MMOs for a long time and after quitting wow when Firelands was released I finally found an MMO, years later, that I have really enjoyed; TSW.   However, whilst I am waiting for the raid to be released I was hoping I might get some objective reports on GW2.. Im a bit frazled out on the fantasy genre but am I missing out by not taking a look at the game?Look forward to your thoughts. :)

I am giving GW2 a 10/10. GW2 is by no means a perfect game, but imo a perfect 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect. To me personally, a perfect 10 just means it is a really, really good game and gives you lots of entertainment.

Things you need to consider are facts that make GW2 diverge from your usual and traditional MMORPG. These things are there by design and won't get changed anytime soon. So if you don't like some of the design choices within the game, you won't ever feel at home in GW2. The game facts are already available to the public by good/objective reviews and may be found on wikis. I am talking about weapons defining your skills, movement, camera and everything else that makes gameplay. All of these things are currently designed that way, so if you think they hinder your experience in a major way, you might want to check out the game at a friend first.

Since GW2 is like its predecessor a break from the mmorpg norm and is designed to be played differently. Watch videos on dynamic events and how a lot of people run from A to B without ever listening to DE NPCs, which provide context and issue another event in the chain. DEs are the core content of the game, so if you play GW2 like another traditional MMO with quest hubs, you will find this game bland and boring, because you don't get the context of NPC actions and the story of the world.

However you also have to keep in mind, since the game is still young and DE's being the only content on higher level zones, there are only X events in each zone and each event repeats at some point so the game doesn't run out of content. This also means that once you have seen all DEs for a period of time, you have seen them all in that area. Dynamic events are titled that way, because they have different states. Each DE usually has a fail and a success state, which then activates another DE in the same chain. Event chains may affect each other, but they usually don't.

The word dynamic in this sense doesn't mean anything can happen during the DE. It is still content designed by the developer. People need to understand that. If you like the above and want to give another playstyle a chance, then GW2 is the way to go. This kind of content also rewards explorers more than anything, because DE are meant to pop up in the world. Moving on, since DE are meant to be found, ANet won't ever mention new DE in patch notes - except for special events like the upcoming celebration. This has to be mentioned, else people may think ANet never released content updates.

I won't go into detail on the other aspects of GW2, because it would take too long, but because I am under the impression that you are on the fence of trying GW2, I'd play it somewhere for more than a couple of hours and then decide how to proceed. Nobody will be able to tell you if this game is for you, you have to experience it yourself. There are facts, there are videos and there is a lot of commentary you can sink into to get to know GW2. You could also hope for a free trial, but we don't know when that is going to be available.

I hope this helps. GW2 has a lot of problems and issues. Browsing through forums give you some viewpoint on some of the most pressing issues, but the game also does a lot of things right. So if you want a change of pace from dominant mmorpg game design, GW2 is the way to go. Just do not think GW2 will replace a favourite game or GW2 magically cures all issues traditional mmorpg are having and still be a traditional game. GW2 is vastly different. It will enhance your experience, tho.

Edit: Oops forgot to format.
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by botrytis

Like many games, this is either a love it or leave it game. The poeple who love it with be adamant how GW2 is the next best thing to sliced bread. The 'leave it' people think it is the worst game ever designed.

I think, if you had 60 dollars, GW2 is a decent game and would be worth the price.

The people who love it the most are not sitting around reading threads about it on MMORPG.com... they're playing the game.  So you'll likely never see the BEST reviews on here.  You'll see plenty of negativity though.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

The game is solid. The community is still forming though so it's too soon to tell about longevity and your potential opportunity cost.

I'd say that a player who can enjoy a fantasy setting and is more interested int he journey as opposed to what comes after will get their money's worth.

Players only interested in end game may want to look for older games and give this some time to mature. Of course given that there isn't a sub you lose nothing by maxing now and waiting for content additions.

The cash shop doesn't have p2w items in it. It's primarily costumes, xp boosters, items, and character slots.

I'm loving the game so far, but recognize that no game is for everyone.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Hey guys..

I've held off a little in looking in to GW2 for several reasons but I am wondering what peoples views are on how it is now that the novelty (perhaps) has worn off?  I've been playing MMOs for a long time and after quitting wow when Firelands was released I finally found an MMO, years later, that I have really enjoyed; TSW.   However, whilst I am waiting for the raid to be released I was hoping I might get some objective reports on GW2.. Im a bit frazled out on the fantasy genre but am I missing out by not taking a look at the game?

Look forward to your thoughts. :)

It really depends.

By most measurable standards GW2 is, in fact, a phenominal game. However it can't be all things for all people.

If you're burnt out on the fantasy genre, if you actually prefer gear progression oriented games (like WoW, TSW, EQ, Diablo 1-3, Torchlight 1-2); you will probably have a hard time liking GW2. If you prefer games w/ more innovative mechanics, GW2 may be worth checking out.

Where GW2 really shines is in it's mechanics and atmosphere. It has some of the best PvP on the market atm, and blows most MMOs out of the water on that front. Most people who seem to really enjoy GW2 actually like fantasy MMORPGs, but are sick of the WoW cloned formula most games have resorted to. And in this regard GW2 manages to deliver one hell of a fantasy MMO.

In my experience, the following types of people won't like this game:

- People who need a vertical progression system. These people want that carrot on a stick. They want to be told what the next best thing is, and they want to get it. Many of these people reach GW2's more open endgame, and equate the lack of forced direction to mean 'there is none'.

- People who look for story as a main selling point in their MMOs (think SWTOR & TSW). While GW2 does have a main story element, it doesn't generally deliver it as well as SWTOR or TSW does. It offers A LOT more variety, which is good, but the story feels fragmented at times, depending on what choices you pick, and the writing isn't always up to par.

- People who need raids. Simply put, GW2 doesn't have traditional raiding. What people instead do is dungeon runs, and meta events.

- People who don't like skill based combat / prefer a trinity system. One of GW2's strengths is in it's combat system, but the draw back is that it puts more responsibility on each individual player. You don't have the liberty of blaming the tank or healer for a mistake, and everyone is responsible for keeping themselves alive. When you have a skilled group of players, this works beautifully. Things run smoothly, people stay alive, and you can do really difficult content fairly quickly. When you don't, it turns into a deathfest full of ragequitting, whinning, & complaining about how broken the combat is. The game does have challenging content, and if you're not okay with dying as part of the learning process, you're going to have a bad time. I'd say that, in general, this game has harder content than TSW does. However, once you learn the encounters, it can get easy again with a competent group.

- People with unrealistic expectations. Last but not least. These are the people who took phrases like 'play how you want' to mean 'make any build you want, regardless of how little it makes sense, and win everything', or took 'events change the landscape of the world' to mean 'every event will be 100% unique, and the landscape will change so much you won't recognize it after each event'. Yes I'm paraphrasing here, but I'm sure you've seen some of these complaints. At the end of the day, GW2 is still a game. It's not able to solve world hunger, and it not able to perfectly replicate the complexities of life in great detail. No game can really live up to that, not with current technology & budget constraints.

That said, if you don't fall into those categories, GW2 is an insanely good deal at 60$. The vast majority of people who bought GW2 (even the haters) put more hours into that game than they would have buying most other 60$ titles. If you like good games, and are a fan of innovative mechanics, it's definitely worth at least trying out. You might like it, you might not, but it will be a different experience. Even better, you can always go back to it at a later time if you change your mind in the future. This is a game that supports playing for and taking a break. It doesn't punish you for doing so (though you may not have all the coolest looking gear).

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Wrong.

Yeah sure bud!! when i want to find bright beacons of honesty i come to these forums.

.... and presumably when I am looking for someone with an excellent ability to judge personal character I should engage your services yes?

It is inadvisable to ever tar everyone with the same brush - grossly over-applied sweeping generalisations made on any subject have a tendency to make the person stating them look like an ignorant blowhard.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Some say it won't make it, but I think they are fooling themselves. I have seen posts from folks claiming that people are quitting left and right.

Here is a video I recorded this evening in the human starter area. Mind you this is just a small part of a huge world, and the number of players has to be huge...even on a Tuesday evening.

The game is awesome and no matter what, you can not beat the entertainment value.

One hour of an episode of "Game of Thrones" that I haven't seen before, has far more entertainment value than one hour in any MMORPG, in my opinion. I find it to be a comparison of interest since MMORPGs are in my case  directly competing with all other forms of entertainment.

Then why even visit a forum dedicated to MMO's?

/mind_boggled

Because I find reading and writing to be peaceful and enjoyable at times: sometimes I just want silence as in being void of sound and reading articles, reading forum and writing in forum. At that point the forum is one of the better options of entertainment, but it has a limited time interval.

Wrong.

.... and presumably when I am looking for someone with an excellent ability to judge personal character I should engage your services yes?

It is inadvisable to ever tar everyone with the same brush - grossly over-applied sweeping generalisations made on any subject have a tendency to make the person stating them look like an ignorant blowhard.

Hey come on now. Where else one can expect honesty if not internet? i was actually agreeing with you. Whenever i lose faith in humanity i log in to these forums and my faith is restored when i realise that honesty still exists. 

But tell us again how you really feel.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

honest opinion?

it's very pretty, it's very flashy, it's very free.....gets kinda boring fast.

the only mmo that had me bored faster was DC Univers online. that game was fun, until i saw a player on the Villans faction dressed up as spider man.....i lost absolutely all interest after that.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

I somewhat agree with this guys opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmScXMVUuDM&t=23m35s

He had me laughing my ass off almost straight away.  Thanks for the find :)

true, that´s pretty funny :D

• abeltensorabeltensor Member UncommonPosts: 26

Heres an honest opinion of a guy whose been playing MMOs since the days of Everquest.  GW2 is a mess.  Anyone claiming that the PvE content is worth playing must be playing a completely different game then me.  PvE is nothing but a zerg fest, The dungeon system is a joke, the dynamic events are repetative and even the exporation is all on rails. 

First, lets talk about the PvE in the open world, namely the hearts and dynamic events.  The hearts seem like a good idea at first as do the DEs.  Stumbling across a quest rather then getting it from an NPC is a good idea, infact I love that idea and wish it was in GW2 but it isn't.  Instead, heres what happens: You walk into a new zone, talk to a scout then follow your minimap to the nearest heart of your Level.  Then you end up doing some mundane task for about 10 minutes after which you speak to an NPC to buy rewards.  Yeah, there are multiple ways to complete the quests but honestly, most of the time I found my self just grinding the mobs like I would with any other MMO because picking berries or looking for smells in wolf form is not intuitive.   As for the DEs, they tend to feel random at first but after grinding a zone for a while you realize they aren't at all.  Not only that, but half the time you enter a DE there is either no one around to help you thus it is extremely hard to complete or there are so many people camping it that you feel lucky if a mob takes a swing at you.  As you progress through levels the DEs start to chainHere's an honest opinion from a guy whose been playing MMOs since the days of Everquest.  GW2 is a mess.  Anyone claiming that the PvE content is worth playing must be playing a completely different game then me.  PvE is nothing but a zerg fest, The dungeon system is a joke, the dynamic events are repetitive and even the exploration is all on rails. 

First, lets talk about the PvE in the open world, namely the hearts and dynamic events.  The hearts seem like a good idea at first as do the DEs.  Stumbling across a quest rather then getting it from an NPC is a good idea, in fact I love that idea and wish it was in GW2 but it isn't.  Instead, here's what happens: You walk into a new zone, talk to a scout then follow your minimap to the nearest heart of your Level.  Then you end up doing some mundane task for about 10 minutes after which you speak to an NPC to buy rewards.  Yeah, there are multiple ways to complete the quests but honestly, most of the time I found my self just grinding the mobs like I would with any other MMO because picking berries or looking for smells in wolf form is not intuitive.   As for the DEs, they tend to feel random at first but after grinding a zone for a while you realize they aren't at all.  Not only that, but half the time you enter a DE there is either no one around to help you thus it is extremely hard to complete or there are so many people camping it that you feel lucky if a mob takes a swing at you.  As you progress through levels the DEs start to chain together adding even more predictability to where and when they will happen.  It is not uncommon to see people sitting in one place for hours on end because they can do a DE every 10 minutes if they stay there. 

Next, the dungeon system.  To explain, this we need to first talk about the destruction of the holy trinity.  While a great idea in theory the execution again fails hard particularly in dungeons.  The fact that there is no real Tank style class nor healer style class nor even DPS style class but rather just a smashup of each in all the classes makes things too chaotic.    Sure a Warrior or a Guardian is more tanky then a Caster class, but its really irrelevant when it comes to this content.  What happens due to this is when you step into a dungeon with 4 other people there is no discernible strategy that can be made right off the bat.  This makes partying with random people really frustrating unless they really know what they are doing and even then the content is scaled to a point where you spend most of your time trying to zerg a boss rather then wiping on him and figuring out how to counter his mechanics.  What I mean by zerg in this case is that most of the time, as soon as one person dies they will respawn and run all the way back, rinse and repeat to keep the bosses HP from going back up to full.  Eventually after countless deaths and repair bills you finally defeat the boss.

Exploration in this game is yet again a joke.  You enter a zone and as you move through the world towards each heart, the landmarks that are "hidden" start showing up on your minimap as well.  It makes it borderline impossible to miss everything in a zone. The way the zones are structured doesn't help this either because things tend to be clustered together.   The Jump puzzles were probably the only true exploration in this game.  

Now after saying all of that about PvE, I could talk about PvP but I didnt play it much since Im not really interested in such things.  If I wanted to PvP id play a game made for it like DayZ or Dota 2.

I really dont believe GW2 to be a money grab like D3 or anything like that.  I genuinely believe that this game will appeal to people of certain disposition.  GW2 was a Decent effort to try to re-invent the wheel or rather the MMO, its just that A-net tried to make a game for causal players and it really really shows.